Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Hopefully the new Mariah song kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It's out now on iTunes! I was worried that it wouldn't come out until tomorrow during the day and I wouldn't get to hear until after work.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

It's......bad. So. so. bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1xoQFE7ts

Ugh. So disappointed.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
It's not terrible, but I was expecting much better. People were praising it like crazy on Twitter.

Elusive Chanteuse really was a fun album, even with the silly title.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Mariah Carey, as much as I've never been a fan, has an admittedly wonderful voice.This song does not suit her at all, it just sounds like it was written for someone else. It just sounds so bizarrely wrong to me.

EDIT: And is that a reference to the equally bizarre Kermit meme with the "Ain't none of my business, it's tea though" line?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm not a mega-fan of hers, but she has an incredible list of achievements and tons of #1 singles/albums.

Hero is probably my favorite song she sings, followed by My All, I still believe, and honey.

This single won't be remembered in a week. The lyrics are as corny as Fritos.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It won't be her nineteenth #1.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Her best song is that one she did with Boyz II Men.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

New Brandon Flowers single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcZ-0o53md8
Spotify

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm going to see this band live tonight. Norwegian pop at it's best (except for A-ha but we don't talk about that). I kinda love Eva & The Heartmaker, but I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that I love about her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_Rjcf36CY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFPEUCBbOMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxvuFELL1vU

thank you bringing this into my life

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I can't decide what I'm more excited about, the new Brandon Flowers album or the new Adam Lambert album. Both of them are sounding amazing so far.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I never cared much for The Killers, but drat are these singles Brandon Flowers keeps dropping good.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah I'm trying not to listen to the singles too much so that I enjoy the album as a whole.

I loved Hot Fuss when it came out and I'm excited to be excited about his artistic output again.

Also I guess they're kind of relevant to this thread, so, I just saw Purity Ring live and holy poo poo it was so much better than the albums. Really good set, cool stage show, and the production sounded great. You could tell they were actually doing stuff, not just playing off a USB. Also they mixed their songs together well, which was a treat considering a lot of similar groups don't do this. It really helped the momentum of their set.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I think it's not on iTunes or Spotify yet, but radio in the UK has started playing "I Can Change" from the new Brandon Flowers album, and believe it or not, it's ANOTHER good song. Bronski Beat sample and (very small) Neil Tennant cameo, how couldn't it be good?

http://adamdanielsmusic.bandcamp.com/track/i-can-change-brandon-flowers

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

DominoDancing posted:

I think it's not on iTunes or Spotify yet, but radio in the UK has started playing "I Can Change" from the new Brandon Flowers album, and believe it or not, it's ANOTHER good song. Bronski Beat sample and (very small) Neil Tennant cameo, how couldn't it be good?

http://adamdanielsmusic.bandcamp.com/track/i-can-change-brandon-flowers

Fffffffff A BRONSKI BEAT SAMPLE! This guy, what happened to him?! This rules!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

'Flamingo' was kinda middling but this seems to be hitting all the right notes.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
The new Britney Spears/Iggy Azalea single "Pretty Girls" has leaked, and it's very...Iggy Azalea. Not sure if I like it. It's probably for the best that Britney hasn't gone back to will.i.am this time around, but this doesn't blow me away either. EDIT: Very interesting to read that apparently the song was written by Little Mix. I guess I can see that. It's definitely a pretty different style from both the Max Martin/Dr. Luke as well as the will.i.am stuff.

There's a stream here: http://www.josepvinaixa.com/blog/britney-spears-pretty-girls/

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 2, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

DominoDancing posted:

The new Britney Spears/Iggy Azalea single "Pretty Girls" has leaked, and it's very...Iggy Azalea. Not sure if I like it. It's probably for the best that Britney hasn't gone back to will.i.am this time around, but this doesn't blow me away either. EDIT: Very interesting to read that apparently the song was written by Little Mix. I guess I can see that. It's definitely a pretty different style from both the Max Martin/Dr. Luke as well as the will.i.am stuff.

There's a stream here: http://www.josepvinaixa.com/blog/britney-spears-pretty-girls/

Don't hate it, but I don't love it. Definitely hear the Little Mix influence. I feel like it'll grow on me, though.

edit: the chorus sounds exactly like a Gwen Stefani song but I can't decide which one...

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 2, 2015

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I just strongly dislike Iggy. It has nothing to do with cultural appropriation or any of that, she just doesn't sound very good in songs. She lacks the attitude and persona to really pull off some of the lines she's reading. She sounds the same in every song to me.

I liked Britney's verses, sounded very In the Zone to me. The chorus is kind of annoying. It's a good summer song, not great.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

PUGGERNAUT posted:

edit: the chorus sounds exactly like a Gwen Stefani song but I can't decide which one...

The song is basically Fancy and Hollaback Girl's baby.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

somnambulist posted:

I just strongly dislike Iggy. It has nothing to do with cultural appropriation or any of that, she just doesn't sound very good in songs. She lacks the attitude and persona to really pull off some of the lines she's reading. She sounds the same in every song to me.

I liked Britney's verses, sounded very In the Zone to me. The chorus is kind of annoying. It's a good summer song, not great.

I agree. Britney does very well on her parts, but Iggy Azalea is just so forgettable on this song. Was Cher Lloyd busy or something?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I Can Change is now also on iTunes/Spotify, for those who are sick of listinening to the radio rip.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Can anyone enlighten me as to why "Uptown Funk" is credited to Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars, when Ronson mostly just wrote it?
I could understand Mars being listed as featured artist if it was a long dance song with some intermittent vocals, but the song basically doesn't work without vocals.
Is this setting a precedent for songwriters to take credit over lead vocalists?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hatter106 posted:

Can anyone enlighten me as to why "Uptown Funk" is credited to Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars, when Ronson mostly just wrote it?
I could understand Mars being listed as featured artist if it was a long dance song with some intermittent vocals, but the song basically doesn't work without vocals.

Oftentimes it's just a contract thing, with the more famous/influential person of the two getting top billing regardless of relative contribution. Off the top of my head, We Found Love was Rihanna ft. Calvin Harris, but Turn Me On was David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj even though both songs were pretty much identical RE: singer vs. producer.

I have no idea how applicable this is to Uptown Funk tough, especially considering that there's no loving way Mark Ronson is more of a name than Bruno Mars. Maybe Bruno's agent is just really lovely.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Has Ronson done a bunch of other work with Mars? Maybe it's some sort of trade or something. I don't know if that happens, but that's honestly just about the only thing that really makes sense in my mind.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

It happens with a lot of dance/electronic songs (Disclosure, Rudimental, Clean Bandit, etc.) too.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Ronson produced Locked Out Of Heaven and some other tracks. It isn't the first time, his album Versions was him ft. Amy Winehouse, Santogold, ODB, etc. I don't think it is unreasonable for the guy who did 90% of the legwork and has the track for his album going first.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
The Ronson album that Uptown Funk is on is also really drat good, though it's really short. It's worth listening to; that Mystikal track is a loving banger. His last album had some good tracks on it too, especially the one with Boy George.

I figure the albums are the difference; he clearly wrote a bunch of songs and wanted to release them as his album instead of just giving them to other artists for their own.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Little Boots has a new single out, and it's called Better in the Morning. Sound- and songwriting-wise it's a continuation of her Business Pleasure EP, so I guess you're personal enjoyment will align with how much you liked that one. To me it mainly means that it has a nice vibe and sound, but unfortunately a vocal melody that goes nowhere. Basically it's lacking a really good chorus again. But check it out:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0qVt1tBaNnFSPe9FtQnyXm

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

She also has an album coming July 10. It's called 'Working Girl' and it'll probably be a full album of the Business Pleasure sound. That is a bit of a shame because I am not really feeling it.

'Nocturnes' was so good you guys.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This Madonna remix has everything good:

https://vimeo.com/126330160

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Out of nowhere, iTunes hit me with a song I'd never heard, by some artist I'd never heard of. Naturally it blew me the gently caress away, and if it gets legs, I could see this being the hit of the summer. one of the posts I read about it called it a mixture of Rhianna and Tove Lo, but the piano throughout reminds me of that early-2000's R&B sound.

Alessia Cara - Here

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hatter106 posted:

It's from a Mark Ronson album. Each song is Mark Ronson featuring someone. Pretty much like a Daft Punk thing. (Interesting how the two biggest hits of the past 2 years have taken this format...)

And yes, it's an amazing album if you like late '70s / early '80s soul-influenced funk/rock/dance... well this genre description is getting long winded, but just give it a shot.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Saw Jessie J last night. I had high expectations and was still very impressed. Probably the best voice of this generation.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

the truth posted:

Saw Jessie J last night. I had high expectations and was still very impressed. Probably the best voice of this generation.

I like her voice but her material is far too basic for her. I wish she would've wound up on the Mark Ronson album, I feel like they'd work well together.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry for the Buzzfeed link, but the character posters for the new T-Swift video are out and they look amazing. A kind of Sin City meets Sucker Punch vibe, and directed by Joseph Kahn, so it's probably gonna be batshit. Kendrick Lamar, Hailey Williams, Hailee Steinfeld and Lena Dunham all have roles.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I can't believe they thought 'Bad Blood' was worthy of being a single. Anything else would've been better.

(Wildest Dreams)

(New Romantics)

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

New Romantics is the second best song on the album, behind Style. I don't understand why they're going with such a polarizing song as a single.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

New Romantics is the second best song on the album, behind Style. I don't understand why they're going with such a polarizing song as a single.
Style didn't do well so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Style didn't do well so...

That still baffles me! I blame the video.