Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I have a couple of very random IT questions:

1) You know those blank patch panels, that you pop a "keystone" into each cutout? Are all keystones and blank panels compatible with each other? I want to get a bunch of 1U 48-port panels but they have very limited selection and don't always sell with matched keystones.

You'd think so, but not always. I've had issues with Panduit and Belden stuff not playing nicely together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Methanar posted:

Well I got treated like an equal today and it was pretty nice. Until they told me I'd be cleaning the yard (raking loving dirt) for the next 4 days. I had already set up my own desk and build my own computer, put it on the domain and then I was pulled away to be told lolyourrakingdirt. I was given a tour, told about the AD structure, projects, shown the server room; then dirt.

If I wasn't so spineless I should have immediately said "No. There has been a misunderstanding here. I am here for a reason and that reason is not cleaning your yard."

I think the bigger red flag is a company that doesn't have a landscaping service. Is this your first job?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Second actual IT job. I'll just go clean their yard I guess and express my displeasure to someone who seems important at lunch.

On one hand I don't want to immediately piss off people for not following instructions or being difficult. On the other hand: are you loving serious.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 5, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a huge red flag and you should be looking for a new job ASAP. If your next potential employer asks why you left a job so quickly, just tell them they had you mowing the lawn. I'm sure they'll understand.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At my job they tried to get all the employees to pitch in and build a "community garden" so the company could be cheap fucks on landscaping. That didn't last long.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The weather has been nice lately, nothing wrong with some extra vitamin D for a few hours. I'd do it with a smile and chalk it up to the company being a bit weird unless this is the start of a pattern. You're still getting paid right?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

It's a huge red flag and you should be looking for a new job ASAP. If your next potential employer asks why you left a job so quickly, just tell them they had you mowing the lawn. I'm sure they'll understand.

Just flat out refuse. It isn't in your job description. Dear lord.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
go shine my loving shoes while you're at it

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The executive palanquin could use a new coat of gild, while we're thinking about it...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Moey posted:

Just flat out refuse. It isn't in your job description. Dear lord.

That goes without saying. But he should find a new job either way. They clearly don't "get it."

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

go3 posted:

go shine my loving shoes while you're at it

I think you mean "Go get your loving shine box!" :)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

At my job they tried to get all the employees to pitch in and build a "community garden" so the company could be cheap fucks on landscaping. That didn't last long.

I would totally garden during work as long as i wasn't expected to answer clals while I did it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I would totally garden during work as long as i wasn't expected to answer clals while I did it.

Same, I would loving love a few days break from looking at screens all day to work outside.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

metavisual posted:

I think you mean "Go get your loving shine box!" :)

Did you accidentally join the military, RakeGoon?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Inspector_666 posted:

Who said anything about during work? They wanted people to do it after hours or on the weekends.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ElGroucho posted:

It's a Goodfellas reference, and what's funny is that my brain immediately went there too.

No more shines, Billy.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ElGroucho posted:

This new job is going to be sweet, they're paying for me to travel out to Illinois for training... Neat, they're providing me with clothing for the duration of training, this is convenient because I don't own a lot of cold weather stuff... Hmm... the medical benefits are nice but it was kind of weird when they lined us all up against a table and gave me and 20 of my new co-workers penicillin shots in the rear end...

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

I was more thinking he joined the mob, but who's counting!
(Edit: glad someone got the Goodfellas reference!)

And "RakeGoon" is the best name ever....RakeGoon should change his username to that!

On a more serious note though, it really comes down to expectations.

If you were told during your job interview/job description "you might need to do some yard work..." and you accepted the job, well then, suck it up and just do it.

But if they didn't give you an expectation of doing yard work, then loving gently caress THEM and :yotj: your rear end out of there with the quickness!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Who said anything about during work? They wanted people to do it after hours or on the weekends.

Uh he said it would be "cleaning the yard (raking loving dirt) for the next 4 days" so I was assuming during work hours?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Mods, you know what you have to do.

metavisual posted:

And "RakeGoon" is the best name ever....RakeGoon should change his username to that!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh he said it would be "cleaning the yard (raking loving dirt) for the next 4 days" so I was assuming during work hours?

Yeah probably for him.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

metavisual posted:

I was more thinking he joined the mob, but who's counting!
(Edit: glad someone got the Goodfellas reference!)

On a more serious note though, it really comes down to expectations.

If you were told during your job interview/job description "you might need to do some yard work..." and you accepted the job, well then, suck it up and just do it.

But if they didn't give you an expectation of doing yard work, then loving gently caress THEM and :yotj: your rear end out of there with the quickness!

It's that catch all bullet point in the job description.

Other duties as assigned.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

SaltLick posted:

It's that catch all bullet point in the job description.

Other duties as assigned.

You make a good point, I guess I didn't really think of it that way since most places I've been at have been pretty reasonable.
"Other duties" usually fall into the realm of things like "oh you might have to hang a whiteboard occasionally or help set up a Trade-show booth".

Landscaping though...you'd think it's far enough outside of the responsibilities of an IT person that it wouldn't even enter their head.
That's some shady poo poo if that's the case. Ignorant.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's a Goodfellas reference, and what's funny is that my brain immediately went there too.

No more shines, Billy.

No, I got the reference, but doing some busy work bullshit that isn't your job is pretty much par for the course in the mil

Ex: painting rocks

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This new job is going to be sweet, they're paying for me to travel out to Illinois for training... Neat, they're providing me with clothing for the duration of training, this is convenient because I don't own a lot of cold weather stuff... Hmm... the medical benefits are nice but it was kind of weird when they lined us all up against a table and gave me and 20 of my new co-workers penicillin shots in the rear end...

Man, my new boss sure does yell a lot

And I don't know how I feel about all the company run exercise in the morning

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I can understand if you're being given work that isn't properly contributing to your personal or career development, and it's all kinds of red flags, but there's some real uncomfortable classist overtones coming from a few of you about the kind of people who do landscaping and shoe-shining

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 5, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

I can understand if you're being given work that isn't properly contributing to your personal or career development, and it's all kinds of red flags, but there's some real uncomfortable classist overtones coming from a few of you about the kind of people who do landscaping and shoe-shining

Don't be so sensitive. I've been security, shoe shine at Nordstrom's, janitorial work, retail bitch and done all sorts of menial bullshit in the Army. I don't mind cleaning up a desk for a new hire, or crushing and throwing away some boxes, but I don't think anybody here has invested real money and time in to learning IT skills to do 25 hours of menial bullshit a week instead of the things we trained to do.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Don't be so sensitive. I've been security, shoe shine at Nordstrom's, janitorial work, retail bitch and done all sorts of menial bullshit in the Army. I don't mind cleaning up a desk for a new hire, or crushing and throwing away some boxes, but I don't think anybody here has invested real money and time in to learning IT skills to do 25 hours of menial bullshit a week instead of the things we trained to do.

"I used to work retail, I can't possibly be classist!"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yes, I guess we should all feel bad for not wanting to rake leaves

You are right, egalitarian goons; I'm turning in my headset right now

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I dunno about you guys but I definitely feel like the material covered by the CCNA could be applicable to landscaping. Are sprinklers and switch ports really so different? You're just directing a flow of whatever one way or another. Seems way more valid a task for a network engineer than "To: helpdesk, Re: Re: cockroach in the break room" which should rightly go to the software developers.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

My "other duties as assigned" bullshit from my first IT job ended up being becoming an on-call contact for after hours breaches of building security such as bricks thrown through windows, motion sensors tripping, general poo poo like that :kiddo:.

The other part was I was responsible for climbing up onto the roof and loving around with the AC unit if it stopped working. They literally gave me a checklist of "try this, this, and then this and if that doesnt work call this number". Combination Computer Janitor, Security Guard, and HVAC Technician.

e: I also used to help the facilities manager fix bathroom fixtures and, every other friday, take out all the trash from both buildings. Lmao. gently caress those people.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vulture Culture posted:

Take that poo poo to tumbler. If you are somehow finding a way to be offended by what little has been discussed here you should probably bail out now.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Classist overtones or no, the main thing that would concern me about someone in IT being asked to do landscaping is either:

1) Their employer is hilariously overpaying someone (the IT worker) to do yard work and is thus probably not run all that great, or
2) The IT worker is actually being paid the market rate for landscaping labor, and should probably look elsewhere for IT work.

So yeah, I don't think there's much wrong with people cracking jokes about this.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sheep posted:

"To: helpdesk, Re: Re: cockroach in the break room" which should rightly go to the lizard in the server room.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Finally getting off of hell desk. Hello system administrator role. Slight pay cut (not many places where I live pay where I work pays) but less on call, actual holidays, ability to work from home a day a month, and to advance my tech skills. Freaking excited.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sickening posted:

Take that poo poo to tumbler. If you are somehow finding a way to be offended by what little has been discussed here you should probably bail out now.
This goes both ways. I'm not offended by any of this, but just because someone's opinion differs from yours doesn't mean they should get relegated to some kind of echo chamber for offended people, because this is the Real World (TM) where people deal with Real Problems.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So yeah, I don't think there's much wrong with people cracking jokes about this.

I wouldn't do rake the yard either if I got hired for a different role, because it's definitely not "duties as required", but it's the "my work is more valuable than that other work" subtext that's weird.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't have the words

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I mean I guess we can start juxtaposing the incomes of professional athletes and teachers and decrying the injustices of capitalism instead of joking about the weird poo poo IT people deal with if that's what you guys want to do.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I apologize if I offended anyone. My conversation was mainly centered on being lied to at interviews. I don't give a flying gently caress what field people are in.

To put it into perspective, I'd have said pretty much the EXACT same stuff if he said "WTF I'm here to prune trees and this guy asked me to reset user accounts on the payroll system".

Also, I'm pretty sure this is SH/SC and this is the "Working in IT" thread...sooooo....most people here are going to be pissed if they are told to do things outside of their field...myself included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I mean I guess we can start juxtaposing the incomes of professional athletes and teachers and decrying the injustices of capitalism instead of joking about the weird poo poo IT people deal with if that's what you guys want to do.

I need to go tell the network admin that his job is as important (but not more important!!!!!!!) as the guy who makes sure the bananas are stocked on the shelves