Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Can someone with more encyclopedic knowledge than me count how many Kim's and Kelly's there has been, list who they were and their season and tally how it compares to other names in the show?

Or just point me to a site that will do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

xcore posted:

Can someone with more encyclopedic knowledge than me count how many Kim's and Kelly's there has been, list who they were and their season and tally how it compares to other names in the show?

Fun fact, every season has had at least three Kelly's, they just only show the most interesting one. Also Kelly and Kim

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

Fun fact, every season has had at least three Kelly's, they just only show the most interesting one. Also Kelly and Kim

Thanks, the tables on that website will help.

I need to remember to include Kym's, Kimmie's and Kellie's too.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

xcore posted:

Thanks, the tables on that website will help.

I need to remember to include Kym's, Kimmie's and Kellie's too.

And Kelley, lol.

I think if Mike doesn't win immunity, we're going to see some pretty crazy mind games. Tyler and Carolyn will probably try some sort of play to get Mike to feel safe so he doesn't play his idol. But a plan of that kind would probably hinge on using Dan, who is a moron.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

I enjoy Sierra constantly saying how she should vote out (person) and when the opportunity comes, not taking it.

I think Sierra knows what she is doing. She is playing to go to the top 3 with some combination of Rodney, Dan and Will and win a popularity contest. I think it's a pretty reasonable strategy considering her position.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Obviously Mike should play the idol so the producers can rehide it and figure out a way to give Mike a clue to where the new idol is located so their pony can win the game.

My optimal play strategy for mike got buried on the last page...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I was Mike I'd think long and hard about holding onto the idol. It would be a massive gamble but I'm not sure what other path he has in the game. It would be near impossible for him to win out and it seems like even when the other six turn on each other they'll still see Mike as the obvious Jury Threat they need to get out of there. Finishing 7th isn't much different from finishing 6th or 5th. Normally you tell someone to live to fight another day because things change up but Mike's just too obvious a threat to let slip into the F3.

Now, I have no idea if I'd have the balls to do it and risk going home with an idol in my pocket. But I'd definitely be considering right up until that moment Jeff asked.

ASN
Sep 11, 2001

I had another thought.

The Rodney 4 should tell Dan, they're voting Sierra, and Sierra they're voting for Dan. Secretly they vote for Mike.

If Mike plays the idol that will probably end up in a three way split between Dan, Sierra and whoever Mike votes for, which the Rodney 4 will have three votes to one on the re-vote. Mike, Dan and Sierra teaming up would break this apart, but it seems unlikely. Bit of a gamble.

Safest plan is still to just vote out Dan.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

If I was Mike I'd think long and hard about holding onto the idol. It would be a massive gamble but I'm not sure what other path he has in the game. It would be near impossible for him to win out and it seems like even when the other six turn on each other they'll still see Mike as the obvious Jury Threat they need to get out of there. Finishing 7th isn't much different from finishing 6th or 5th. Normally you tell someone to live to fight another day because things change up but Mike's just too obvious a threat to let slip into the F3.

Now, I have no idea if I'd have the balls to do it and risk going home with an idol in my pocket. But I'd definitely be considering right up until that moment Jeff asked.

The main reason I can think for Mike to play the idol is that he's such a physical threat. He has it in him to win a couple more immunities, and if he use the power of the idol to get out another physical threat like Tyler or Caroline it only increases his chances.

Here are my current power rankings.

Mike - If he makes final three he wins, and I think he has a good fist of making it there.
Tyler - I think he wins against anyone except mike, but I think he is viewed as too much of a threat by the rest. I think it is only the idol that separates these two.
Sierra - I think that any final three that doesn't include Tyler or Mike will be a popularity contest, and Sierra is better liked than any of the others and has done less to piss anyone off. It's kind of sad that she is number three.
Mama C - This has to be close between her and Sierra, but I think that Sierra has the votes of all the sitting jurors, and probably Mike's as well. Mama C is better liked than the rest, despite her smug as hell smile and sour personality.
Rodney - Basically everyone hates him, but at least he did a thing in the game. He's also genuine in his bad personality, which maybe counts for something?
Dan - Dad is a loathsome fellow, and unless something truly bizarre happens has zero chance to win. Sure, he has a double vote, but I think he's far too stupid to use it effectively. He has blue collar ties and dumb loyalty as his only dubious qualities.
Will - Will could have been where Sierra is if he hadn't blown up at Shirin. He's just as much as a useless lump as Dan with the disadvantage that he has never had any allies who weren't blatantly using him. Also has zero chance to win, but I think that even greater miracles must be performed (and who knows? he is a religious man after all) for him to change his fate. I think he is, however, and absolute lock for final three, because who would be dumb enough to vote him out?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Finally got around to watching the episode, really fun move by Mike even if his game hasn't exactly been impressive thus far. Looks like he has a legit shot at finally being the one to pull off the Terry Deitz and challenge beast the whole way through. As someone firmly in the "challenges are bullshit window dressing" camp I'd hate to see it, but Probst would lose his drat mind with excitement.

Not really sure who I want to see win at this point. Definitely not Dan, Will or Carolyn. Tyler could step up and become a passable winner in the dying weeks but another week slipped past without him winning me over.. Sierra would be a bland unexciting but passable winner. Rodney would be an acceptable comedy option. The thought of him winning his first time out and claiming supremacy over Boston "Won on the fourth try" Rob would be pretty entertaining.

Probst is going to be utterly unbearable if Mike wins.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Normally I'd agree with you, but sometimes a dude (or lady) challenge-beasting their way through the last few episodes is actually really satisfying to watch when the other players are particular shitheels. See Fabio for another example of this.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but sometimes a dude (or lady) challenge-beasting their way through the last few episodes is actually really satisfying to watch when the other players are particular shitheels. See Fabio for another example of this.

Bonus points when the other tribemates just loath the person winning out, especially if they are likable to the audience like Mike is.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Does Mama C still have her idol? If she does, any chance she playes it on anyone other than herself? While she is tight with Tyler, I don't know if she would be willing to keep him around to the end, especially if she see him as winning it all.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Orvin posted:

Does Mama C still have her idol? If she does, any chance she playes it on anyone other than herself? While she is tight with Tyler, I don't know if she would be willing to keep him around to the end, especially if she see him as winning it all.

Yes. The only way I could see her play it for someone else is at final five, where it's about to expire anyway, to protect one of the people that can't win (Dan or Will) from getting voted out, if she wanted to get Tyler or Rodney out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At this stage it probably benefits Carolyn to see Tyler go. He's apparently a big jury threat and he and her look like a tough duo. If he goes I could easily see her being forgotten about as bigger threats like Mike and arguably Sierra are taken out. And with Dan's two vote thing I'd love to have that idol at Final Five to avoid that one extra vote blindsiding you.

Plus isn't he the only one who knows she has the idol? Or did she admit to it somewhere along the line?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

BGrifter posted:

Finally got around to watching the episode, really fun move by Mike even if his game hasn't exactly been impressive thus far. Looks like he has a legit shot at finally being the one to pull off the Terry Deitz and challenge beast the whole way through. As someone firmly in the "challenges are bullshit window dressing" camp I'd hate to see it, but Probst would lose his drat mind with excitement.

Not really sure who I want to see win at this point. Definitely not Dan, Will or Carolyn. Tyler could step up and become a passable winner in the dying weeks but another week slipped past without him winning me over.. Sierra would be a bland unexciting but passable winner. Rodney would be an acceptable comedy option. The thought of him winning his first time out and claiming supremacy over Boston "Won on the fourth try" Rob would be pretty entertaining.

Probst is going to be utterly unbearable if Mike wins.

I feel like the editing's been the way it is to prepare us for the Second Coming of Terry Dietz. Probably. Else why would the majority alliance that seems to be on a path to endgame dominance be portrayed so consistently negative. Rodney sucks, Will sucks, Carolyn could be cool if her editing was different, but she comes across sucky, Tyler is either invisible or a gamebot jackass, Dan suuuuuuuucks. Sierra is generally likable, but her strategy makes her frustrating to watch (consisting of voting out all the likable people in order to ensure she's the only palatable winner option in the endgame).

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
this season is kind of irritating me because all the people i wanted to win are gone, and all the people i could maybe want to win if i could see more than 2 minutes of htem per episode arent getting more than 2 minutes per episode. (carolyn tyler sierra)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spatula City posted:

I feel like the editing's been the way it is to prepare us for the Second Coming of Terry Dietz. Probably. Else why would the majority alliance that seems to be on a path to endgame dominance be portrayed so consistently negative. Rodney sucks, Will sucks, Carolyn could be cool if her editing was different, but she comes across sucky, Tyler is either invisible or a gamebot jackass, Dan suuuuuuuucks. Sierra is generally likable, but her strategy makes her frustrating to watch (consisting of voting out all the likable people in order to ensure she's the only palatable winner option in the endgame).

Sierra has a strategy?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

She was talking to Rodney about the need to boot Tyler. I'd guess her strategy is to be in an alliance and get the people who are bigger jury threats booted

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Wow, after reading a bunch of thoughts, I really think Mike has a VERY GOOD reason not to play his idol next week. There is a general "dumb" factor going-on, but is anyone willing to risk their own necks in the case that he plays it? And they have to think that he would be confident playing it, since he could very likely win more challenges. He's in a much better spot than I was thinking before. There aren't enough people to split votes without keeping that knowledge away from the second vote. It's a pretty hard sell to stick together and hope it's not you if Mike plays his idol. 1/6? that's not great odds. It's worse for Tyler and Caroline (who I assume Mike is clever enough to realize is his next biggest threat)

The most boring, dumbo thing that could happen next week is that Mike doesn't win immunity, they all actually stick together like crazy people, and Mike doesn't play his idol. Otherwise, I think this is going to be a fabulous episode full of awesome paranoia :lol:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fast Luck posted:

She was talking to Rodney about the need to boot Tyler. I'd guess her strategy is to be in an alliance and get the people who are bigger jury threats booted

To be fair this would probably be my strategy too.

That and giving lots of creepy too long hugs.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

xcore posted:

That's kind of a weird question because to the best of my knowledge - for Survivor aged people, Jennifer, Jessica, Kimberly, Kelly are probably the most common U.S. girl's names, though I'm sure this demographic is shifting since people starting naming their kid's after cities and other random poo poo for some reason. Add to that -Kim is an Asian surname, and also a quick American nickname for a lot of Asian names. I'm frankly surprised there haven't been more John's. I believe that also continued to be the most popular male name way after Jane went out of popularity. Hence John/Jane doe, or "john's" as anonymous men visiting prostitutes. Richard or Dick or whatever, I think probably went out phase a LITTLE before the general survivor age range. (Dick and Jane)

This is all total fuzzy memory BS that I think is generally true -but I'm not arsed to look it up at the moment. (Also, pertains mostly to white people I think)

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think Mike will have a hard time bluffing with his idol again after the Big Alliance of Mostly Jerks already (mostly) didn't fall for it once.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DoggPickle posted:

That's kind of a weird question because to the best of my knowledge - for Survivor aged people, Jennifer, Jessica, Kimberly, Kelly are probably the most common U.S. girl's names, though I'm sure this demographic is shifting since people starting naming their kid's after cities and other random poo poo for some reason. Add to that -Kim is an Asian surname, and also a quick American nickname for a lot of Asian names. I'm frankly surprised there haven't been more John's. I believe that also continued to be the most popular male name way after Jane went out of popularity. Hence John/Jane doe, or "john's" as anonymous men visiting prostitutes. Richard or Dick or whatever, I think probably went out phase a LITTLE before the general survivor age range. (Dick and Jane)

This is all total fuzzy memory BS that I think is generally true -but I'm not arsed to look it up at the moment. (Also, pertains mostly to white people I think)

The main reason why this is a thing because for all the Kellys in the game, very few of them have made it very far post-merge, let alone top 5. Similarly, Kim Spradlin was the first Kim to get anywhere significant.

When the most famous Kelly is the special quitter, Purple Kelly (who was figuratively invisible until quitting), that's probably something.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Kim J made final tribal in s3!

ASN
Sep 11, 2001

Metropolis posted:

I think Mike will have a hard time bluffing with his idol again after the Big Alliance of Mostly Jerks already (mostly) didn't fall for it once.

Last council Mike had immunity, and it made sense not to play it for someone else. If he doesn't win immunity this week it is a completely different scenario where he would be expected to play it. The other 6 have to make other plans, and they don't have the numbers to split the vote.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Presumably they would split the vote that way in the off chance that Mike didn't play the idol he still goes home

ASN
Sep 11, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

Presumably they would split the vote that way in the off chance that Mike didn't play the idol he still goes home

They don't have enough numbers.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ASN posted:

They don't have enough numbers.

6v1 and they don't have enough numbers?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

if you're talking split votes you're inherently giving up that 6v1 advantage since you have to split on your own. Dan's dumb but he's not Christina Cha dumb, he would not vote with a group that's splitting on him. It would only take Sierra to flip to make it 4v3 and you can't split there

ASN
Sep 11, 2001

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

If they split vote, it is no longer 6v1 but 5v2. They can do a 3/2 split. If Mike plays his idol, there are two votes in play, probably for Dan. Mike and Dan have three votes between them with the extra vote. If Sierra gets on board they don't even need the extra vote.

The safest play is to forget splitting the vote, and send 4 votes for whoever, not Mike. I reckon it will be Dan, but Sierra or Tyler are options too.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

ASN posted:

The safest play is to forget splitting the vote, and send 4 votes for whoever, not Mike.

Of course, Mike also knows this so there's compelling reason for him not to play his idol...

Wouldn't the optimal play for someone like Tyler to be to tell everyone that they need to take out Mike's idol, whether Mike plays it or holds it as his torch is snuffed. Direct all the alliance votes at Mike and then throw a sneaky vote away at Dan in case the idol is played. If the idol is produced, then they can all re-direct their votes to Dan on the re-vote.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

elgarbo posted:

Of course, Mike also knows this so there's compelling reason for him not to play his idol...

Wouldn't the optimal play for someone like Tyler to be to tell everyone that they need to take out Mike's idol, whether Mike plays it or holds it as his torch is snuffed. Direct all the alliance votes at Mike and then throw a sneaky vote away at Dan in case the idol is played. If the idol is produced, then they can all re-direct their votes to Dan on the re-vote.

No one would follow Tyler's advice because it's basically a 1 in 5 chance to get eliminated through Mikes vote or a even bigger chance that you might be the hidden second target, as Mike has made it clear that his maintarget is Tyler, so why would Tyler agree that he goes home if Mike plays the idol?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

No one would follow Tyler's advice because it's basically a 1 in 5 chance to get eliminated through Mikes vote or a even bigger chance that you might be the hidden second target, as Mike has made it clear that his maintarget is Tyler, so why would Tyler agree that he goes home if Mike plays the idol?

Yeah true, I suppose. I guess at this point it's all about the bluff and double bluff. I'd love to see them re-direct their vote to Dan while Mike holds onto his idol.

ASN
Sep 11, 2001

elgarbo posted:

Yeah true, I suppose. I guess at this point it's all about the bluff and double bluff. I'd love to see them re-direct their vote to Dan while Mike holds onto his idol.

It is a double bluff scenario, and Mike has the upper hand. No one will be writing Mike's name down this week, it is far too risky. Anyone who does deserves to go home.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

elgarbo posted:

The "correct" strategy in the upcoming vote would be for Rodney/Sierra/Dan to tell Mike that they are voting Tyler, but be shady enough about it so that Mike still plays his idol, or don't tell him and use the double vote. This would take care of Tyler as a threat and flush Mike's idol. Later they can take out Mike at first opportunity and go into the f4 with Rodney/Sierra/Dan/Will with the final vote depending on immunity wins and jury perception.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ASN posted:

It is a double bluff scenario, and Mike has the upper hand. No one will be writing Mike's name down this week, it is far too risky. Anyone who does deserves to go home.

They probably will have to at some point to flush out the idol, sooner rather than later. Letting him hold onto it for any longer than he can is just giving him a ride to the top 4. Plus the more you wait, the more chances he has to swing people back to his side.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ApplesandOranges posted:

They probably will have to at some point to flush out the idol, sooner rather than later. Letting him hold onto it for any longer than he can is just giving him a ride to the top 4. Plus the more you wait, the more chances he has to swing people back to his side.

As long as he doesn't win immunity they can flush it at 6 just fine

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The rest of the tribe SHOULD tell Mike that they're voting for him and try and flush that idol but they absolutely SHOULD factor him out of the equation and address the vote as if he had immunity. If any of them go home because they voted Mike than they rise up to that "Stupidest Ever" tier of debate. Rodney's crew SHOULD focus on a different target in Dan and Sierra and Dan and Sierra SHOULD finally clue into their standing in the tribe.

Its just a mystery of who clues into what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
It's going to be pandemonium if Mike pulls out another immunity win. Because if you're Dan/Sierra and you think you can squeak out one more against Sierra/Dan before you "make your move" (whatever that is), your hand is going to be forced ahead of time.... if either of them realize that.

I wonder what the chances of 2x immunity idol plays + the extra vote next tribal are.

• Locked thread