Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Augus posted:

The difference is that Battle Network was basically a lighthearted saturday morning cartoon in video game form where kids save the world using virtual card games and occasionally rap battles, while Watch_______Dogs is trying to be a dark gritty drama about a batman knockoff saving the world using his cell phone.

Yeah, BN isn't serious at all, especially considering when you jump a century or two forward technology now revolves around radio waves, social standing is based on how many best friends you have, and people fuse with radio aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

chitoryu12 posted:

Features that don't make sense need to be kept to a minimum to avoid completely breaking immersion, unless it's a cartoonish enough game that immersion and a sensible world take a back seat. Watch_Dogs is not one of those games, which means that something as ridiculous as wi-fi grenades immediately draws the eye and causes you to ask questions.
Saint's Row can get away with that poo poo because it knows it's stupid.

Sleeping Dogs can get away with that because it's half-serious half-kung-fu-showdown and considering I've picked an umpteen number of locks with my loving smartphone and guessing four numbers randomly everytime, it would fit.

Watch_Dogs is every bit trying to be serious and even the "funny" stuff in the game is more like just weird observations because people are weird. So it does not work, you can't have something that loving stupid in a game that serious. Now if this was THE FUTURE, I can accept that, but not a game that was set in the same year as the Xbox One came out.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

FinalGamer posted:

Sleeping Dogs can get away with that because it's half-serious half-kung-fu-showdown and considering I've picked an umpteen number of locks with my loving smartphone and guessing four numbers randomly everytime, it would fit.

That was for hacking cameras and the occasional friend's computer. Lockpicking didn't use the phone (it was the only thing that didn't), and was actually moving tumblers using lockpicks, which makes some sense. You're probably thinking of safecracking using the phone, but that was for noise amplification to pick up when the tumblers engaged as you turned the dial, also sort of making sense.

I don't rightly know how playing Mastermind hacks a camera (I guess everyone in Hong Kong has terrible password security?), but the locks stuff is probably some of the least silly things in a game full of silly things.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Felinoid posted:

That was for hacking cameras and the occasional friend's computer. Lockpicking didn't use the phone (it was the only thing that didn't), and was actually moving tumblers using lockpicks, which makes some sense. You're probably thinking of safecracking using the phone, but that was for noise amplification to pick up when the tumblers engaged as you turned the dial, also sort of making sense.

I don't rightly know how playing Mastermind hacks a camera (I guess everyone in Hong Kong has terrible password security?), but the locks stuff is probably some of the least silly things in a game full of silly things.
Ah okay yeah my mistake, but my point is I would accept weird technology poo poo in Sleeping Dogs then I would in Watch_Dogs.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The 'all clothes are palette swaps' bit is complete horseshit but I unironically really like the 'Gecko' outfit you can get.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sleeping Dogs had pretty decent minigames from an immersion standpoint. They're pretty obviously not how things work in real life, but have just enough detail to keep you from immediately going "Wait, that doesn't seem right."

I will say that Watch Dogs does start to add a little more depth from the "Press square to hack" that we've seen now.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Every time you hack, you should have to play pipe dream.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Every time you hack, you should have to play pipe dream.

Nah, don't want to copy Bioshock.

Chip's Challenge.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On the subject of lovely "badass" 90s names, I did just see a guy named Key Shade. Like, legal name.

There could be worse.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

On the subject of lovely "badass" 90s names, I did just see a guy named Key Shade. Like, legal name.

There could be worse.

North West?

... I'll show myself out.

SpeckledJim
Oct 30, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

There could be worse.

Cracked did an article back in the day on "badass" names, as I recall. Apparently there's a dude in the US army legitimately named "Max Fightmaster".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

There could be worse.

Pacifica Ocean is still my favourite terrible name. Thank you Kojima.

EDIT: /\ Found that article

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 5, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

One of the federal agents who busted the guy behind Silk Road, who later turned out to be crooked as poo poo himself, is called Carl Mark Force IV. That's his actual name.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HellCopter posted:

Chip's Challenge.

This LP is Chip's Challenge.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1nGjGM2p8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDp-ABzpRX8

SpeckledJim
Oct 30, 2011

L'Carpetron Dookmarriot deserves a game of his own.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Waffleman_ posted:

This LP is Chip's Challenge.
After suffering through Duck Dynasty, I don't think anything can be a challenge anymore

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

These are all great, but everyone should definitely watch the third one. The guys in there that aren't Key or Peele dressing up are actual American football players. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix played for the Packers this past season, and that is his real name.

SpeckledJim
Oct 30, 2011
Didn't see this one linked, personal favourite.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Felinoid posted:

These are all great, but everyone should definitely watch the third one. The guys in there that aren't Key or Peele dressing up are actual American football players. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix played for the Packers this past season, and that is his real name.

Well, his real name is Ha'Sean. "Ha Ha" is his grandmother's nickname for him and he took it professional.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Football players have the best names. My college has receivers named Cannon and Hasty, and we almost had a quarterback named Chad President. Chad President.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SpeckledJim posted:

Didn't see this one linked, personal favourite.

Just in case anyone doesn't get the reference, first: stop making me feel old. Second: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZeQ9buHOU4

The 80s were a magical time.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Football players have the best names. My college has receivers named Cannon and Hasty, and we almost had a quarterback named Chad President. Chad President.

The best thing the XFL did was letting the players make their own nicknames for the back of their uniforms so everyone could get in on the fun.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
While we're on the subject, the following is my personal favorite collection of goofy names: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zsy44ygI2w

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How have we had a discussion about silly names without

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Big McLargehuge is actually not bad

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Anyone else think Aidan stole the game music playlist from a black protagonist? I just can't see him actually listening to any of that himself, Ubisoft seemed to have gone with whatever cheap or free music they could get rather than shelling out for good tunes.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Yes, obviously a white person, with their inherently superior taste in music, would not listen to any of that urban junk.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
While the majority of it is poo poo, it does have a song by Tortoise and Tortoise owns.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Vadoc posted:

Anyone else think Aidan stole the game music playlist from a black protagonist? I just can't see him actually listening to any of that himself, Ubisoft seemed to have gone with whatever cheap or free music they could get rather than shelling out for good tunes.

I think it's more that the devs and/or Aiden are trying to be "hip" and "with it" so they went with what they thought might be the next "big thing" in alternate circles, for cheap money.

Despite the fact they were trying to hit the mainstream crowd which includes Joe, Cleetus, and every other Yahoo who makes everything from Taylor Swift to Megadeath popular.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Calax posted:

I think it's more that the devs and/or Aiden are trying to be "hip" and "with it" so they went with what they thought might be the next "big thing" in alternate circles, for cheap money.

Despite the fact they were trying to hit the mainstream crowd which includes Joe, Cleetus, and every other Yahoo who makes everything from Taylor Swift to Megadeath popular.

Because then Joe and Cleetus are all "Wow, bro, Ubisoft is so edgy. What's that other game they have where you shank people? I need to buy that once the government check comes in..."

Also, I played Remember Me, but only a little, because I was never able to get past the spinny sign before I said "gently caress it!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OK, now you're just lazily stereotyping welfare recipients. Could you maybe not?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dabir posted:

OK, now you're just lazily stereotyping welfare recipients. Could you maybe not?

Sorry, I was trying to stereotype video gaming hillbillies. You know, like those named Cleetus.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Apology accepted. Not that I think it's really OK to lazily stereotype anyone, but this is absolutely not the thread for that.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
God I'm happy this awful game is getting the LP hero it deserves.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I've been to Chicago a few times since I've played this game and each time I was able to navigate by remembering what was in this game. I should be dead.

By navigate I mean "Hey, this is Millennium Park I know where some things in it are thanks to this game" and "I know this recognizable building in the distance is by the river which means I'm going in the right direction." Thanks game.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ThatPazuzu posted:

I've been to Chicago a few times since I've played this game and each time I was able to navigate by remembering what was in this game. I should be dead.

By navigate I mean "Hey, this is Millennium Park I know where some things in it are thanks to this game" and "I know this recognizable building in the distance is by the river which means I'm going in the right direction." Thanks game.

As far as I am familiar with Chicago, the similarities end there. Things get... awkward later on, especially if you lived in Chicago for any significant period in your life.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Does this game have The Bean? It has to, right?

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I seem to recall it does in fact have The Bean and it doesn't look right from the other lp of this game. (I think they made it like white instead of reflective or something like that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

HellCopter posted:

Chip's Challenge.

Hey, coincidentally guess what are coming out on Steam this month.

• Locked thread