Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I like Jimenez

I dislike Keegan Bradley :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Maybe he was calling the guy "douchebag" because that was his name?

Also, am I one of the 8 nerds who posts his rounds? That's hurtful. :ohdear:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm now a golf club member, WOO.

Officially middle class now bitches

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Maybe he was calling the guy "douchebag" because that was his name?

Also, am I one of the 8 nerds who posts his rounds? That's hurtful. :ohdear:

Speaking of rounds

Went out again to Royal Saint Cloud this past weekend and played white/blue instead of blue/white this time. I had a pretty awesome round. Drives were going where I wanted them too, not necessarily straight(played my fade) but far and in the fairway, short game was ok, that's probably the main area I need to work on, and for once my putting was pretty spot on. I'm really loving this course and for $28($19 once the summer rates kick in) you really can't beat the price. Greens are in perfect condition, nice fairways, and it usually plays in about 4 - 4 1/2 hours for a four some.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ramagamma posted:

I'm now a golf club member, WOO.

Officially middle class now bitches

We are currently renting a house right now and have started to look at buying in the next year. There are 2 golf course subdivisions that are in our price range, guess who has already started working on the wife that we need to seriously look into them. :)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone else notice that every year there is a discussion among golf media folk about whether or not The Players should be a major?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Anyone else notice that every year there is a discussion among golf media folk about whether or not The Players should be a major?

Gotta find something to talk about in between majors, I guess.

E: Honestly I think it's fine not being one. 4 Majors every year with the Ryder Cup happening every 2 is pretty good for big events.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So I signed up for a golf league and I'm mystified by how the scoring works. We play on Mondays, and points are awarded as follows. 1 point for a bogey, 2 for a par, 3 for a birdie, 4 for an eagle. Players are also allocated a point total based on Handicap. I'm a bad golfer, so I get 3.5 points, while my partner gets 10.5. Then we play against another twosome and some Maths happen and we either win or lose. The Maths part is a total mystery though.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

5th Major should be at Royal Melbourne, with greens at 15 on the stimp meter. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Played with a mini-tour pro today. He said he was thinking about playing in a tournament at Cherokee Run southeast of Atlanta. I said I never wanted to play the course because it was too short.

Turns out I was thinking about a different course. This one is 7016 yds from the tips, 75.1/143. :downs:

11am tee time tomorrow is the GolfNow special for $23. Stupid doctor's appointment in the way though. Hopefully 11am Thursday is available tomorrow night.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Today was my last day of work so naturally I left early and got a quick 18 in :).

I'm getting a membership at the same course I had a membership at a couple years ago, it's one of my favorite courses and is always interesting to play.

Today there was a 1-2 club wind and they just aerated the greens, which made it interesting. My putting has always been my downfall, so naturally on a windy day with punched greens I putted absolutely lights out. I haven't had a round with this good putting in YEARS. Here's the round:

I made a lot of 3-4 foot putts for par, and made a couple 10 foot par saves and even drained a couple 15 foot birdie putts. Overall I really didn't hit the ball that great, but I think my familiarity with the course and a few drained putts make for a good score.

The highlight was the 18th hole, I hit a great drive and was left with like 130 to the pin. I flared one out to the right and way short, into a nasty green side bunker. I had like a 20 yard bunker shot into a green sloping hard from right to left. It's tough to describe how small the landing area is for the bunker shot, the green slopes hard from back to front for the first half, then hard from front to back on the last half. There's a sliver of flat green in the middle. Basically, if you were to look at the green from the side it would kind of be shaped like:
_
/ \

Except not that steep of a slope on the front and back. Anyways, I hit a perfect bunker shot to about 4 feet and drained the putt to save par(and give me an even par 36 on the back).

You lucky devils are in for a lot more of these posts so prepare yourself emotionally.

And Zinc, we should get a round in this year. I have the rest of the week off so I'm free to play any day, just keep in mind that Stoneridge just punched the greens(but they use like some air jet or some crap that doesn't have nearly as big of holes, instead it's like little slits. They actually rolled decently today.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

daslog posted:

So I signed up for a golf league and I'm mystified by how the scoring works. We play on Mondays, and points are awarded as follows. 1 point for a bogey, 2 for a par, 3 for a birdie, 4 for an eagle. Players are also allocated a point total based on Handicap. I'm a bad golfer, so I get 3.5 points, while my partner gets 10.5. Then we play against another twosome and some Maths happen and we either win or lose. The Maths part is a total mystery though.

Stableford is the points system they are using if you're curious about how scoring and the maths work. Essentially out of your group they will use the lowest handicap to calculate the "strokes" each other player receives throughout the course. So your buddy getting 10.5 points is weird, but he basically would get 1 stroke on the 10 hardest holes. So if he's on like #5 and par is 4 and he ends up shooting a double bogey, he gets 1 stroke giving him a NET bogey for the hole which counts as 1 point in their scoring total.

OR they are making it really dumb and just adding the points given to your end NET score and doing away with per-hole handicap scoring.

See - http://www.myscorecard.com/cgi-bin/knowledgecenter.pl?mode=article&category=golf_games&file=stableford&article=Stableford

The menu on the right side also has other golf games to play some of them are weird as poo poo and make you wonder how drunk some people were when they came up with it.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 6, 2015

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's definitely not per hole handicap because we don't turn in regular scorecards.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

daslog posted:

It's definitely not per hole handicap because we don't turn in regular scorecards.

People make up and change rules to a lot of different scoring systems to best suit their needs. A league I used to play in twice a week classic stableford with no weird changes. The only problem is if you didn't have an established hadicap you'd automatically be listed as a 0 and get hosed, especially if you were around like a 20 normally.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Today was my last day of work so naturally I left early and got a quick 18 in :).

I'm getting a membership at the same course I had a membership at a couple years ago, it's one of my favorite courses and is always interesting to play.

Today there was a 1-2 club wind and they just aerated the greens, which made it interesting. My putting has always been my downfall, so naturally on a windy day with punched greens I putted absolutely lights out. I haven't had a round with this good putting in YEARS. Here's the round:

I made a lot of 3-4 foot putts for par, and made a couple 10 foot par saves and even drained a couple 15 foot birdie putts. Overall I really didn't hit the ball that great, but I think my familiarity with the course and a few drained putts make for a good score.

The highlight was the 18th hole, I hit a great drive and was left with like 130 to the pin. I flared one out to the right and way short, into a nasty green side bunker. I had like a 20 yard bunker shot into a green sloping hard from right to left. It's tough to describe how small the landing area is for the bunker shot, the green slopes hard from back to front for the first half, then hard from front to back on the last half. There's a sliver of flat green in the middle. Basically, if you were to look at the green from the side it would kind of be shaped like:
_
/ \

Except not that steep of a slope on the front and back. Anyways, I hit a perfect bunker shot to about 4 feet and drained the putt to save par(and give me an even par 36 on the back).

You lucky devils are in for a lot more of these posts so prepare yourself emotionally.

And Zinc, we should get a round in this year. I have the rest of the week off so I'm free to play any day, just keep in mind that Stoneridge just punched the greens(but they use like some air jet or some crap that doesn't have nearly as big of holes, instead it's like little slits. They actually rolled decently today.
For sure! I'd be down to play sometime in the next few weeks there if that is cool? I'd rather wait to play there when the greens are nice and healed since I rarely get to play that nice track.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rory, Spieth, and Jason Day are paired together for the first 2 rounds of The Players. They're being livestreamed, currently thru 7: http://pgatour.cbssports.com/live/?channel=featuredgroup

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Rory, Spieth, and Jason Day are paired together for the first 2 rounds of The Players. They're being livestreamed, currently thru 7: http://pgatour.cbssports.com/live/?channel=featuredgroup

Annnnd there goes any hope of productivity today

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My Golf Tags (Basically "Game Golf" but your NFC capable Android phone is the receiver rather than wearing that janky GPS belt thing) came in today. With it came a code for a free year of Golf Pad Premium . If anyone wants the code, PM me or reply and I'll post / send / PM the code or whatever.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

My Golf Tags (Basically "Game Golf" but your NFC capable Android phone is the receiver rather than wearing that janky GPS belt thing) came in today. With it came a code for a free year of Golf Pad Premium . If anyone wants the code, PM me or reply and I'll post / send / PM the code or whatever.

Def interested in how these work. Considering picking up something like this to track clubs better.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

mattfl posted:

Def interested in how these work. Considering picking up something like this to track clubs better.

I'll make a post once I get to try 'em. I might be able to do 9 this weekend somewhere, otherwise I'll have to wait until league on Monday night. Long ago I'd emailed support with some questions (about using my note 4 with s-view cover) and they were prompt and courteous with their responses, assuring me a full money back return if I have troubles or am not satisfied.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

For sure! I'd be down to play sometime in the next few weeks there if that is cool? I'd rather wait to play there when the greens are nice and healed since I rarely get to play that nice track.

That sounds good to me. I played twice yesterday and just got done with 18 today and the greens are not rolling great right now. They fertilized them yesterday morning so I think it's definitely better to wait.

Do weekend mornings work for you?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Nerdrock posted:

I'll make a post once I get to try 'em. I might be able to do 9 this weekend somewhere, otherwise I'll have to wait until league on Monday night. Long ago I'd emailed support with some questions (about using my note 4 with s-view cover) and they were prompt and courteous with their responses, assuring me a full money back return if I have troubles or am not satisfied.

Yeah, I'd be interested too even though I feel weird keeping my phone in my pocket when I golf, not that that is a requirement I guess.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hey guys let's go play golf in Silent Hill :v:

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

That sounds good to me. I played twice yesterday and just got done with 18 today and the greens are not rolling great right now. They fertilized them yesterday morning so I think it's definitely better to wait.

Do weekend mornings work for you?

Yup, weekend mornings are perfect. drat, you're going to dust me, that's a lot of practice...Er I mean reps! I moved out to Eagan, so anytime would work since I can get out to SR pretty quickly.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Star Man posted:

Hey guys let's go play golf in Silent Hill :v:

That's pretty sweet. Last time I played early morning (7:30am) round down in Kiawah there was an intense fog like that. I remember standing on the first tee and waiting for it to thin out a bit and then almost like the end of that movie a gust of wind came in and the fog almost blew away.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

Yup, weekend mornings are perfect. drat, you're going to dust me, that's a lot of practice...Er I mean reps! I moved out to Eagan, so anytime would work since I can get out to SR pretty quickly.

Haha probably not, I've been hitting like 6-8 GIR per round and relying heavily on my chipping and putting(which could leave me at any moment). Eagan's not too far at all, we'll have to plan for early June, I'm going to be out of town the next 2 weekends I think.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Haha probably not, I've been hitting like 6-8 GIR per round and relying heavily on my chipping and putting(which could leave me at any moment). Eagan's not too far at all, we'll have to plan for early June, I'm going to be out of town the next 2 weekends I think.

Sounds good to me. That will give me a chance to get a round in there to scope it out so I don't get embarrassed when we finally meet up, haha.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Did I ever post this?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I'm in the market for a new full set of clubs. I know clubs are a subjective thing, but does anyone here have any experience with/opinions on these Callaway Strata Ultimate clubs?

Amazon seems to have a good deal going on them, and I'm really tempted to just pull the trigger on them now, but I'd like to get some thoughts from y'all before I do that.

For the record, I tried out a set of Strata clubs the other day and I liked them, so it's not a question of whether I find them comfortable or not.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 9, 2015

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I'd be so much better at this game if I could hit driver with any kind of consistency whatsoever. I cannot stop coming over the top with the driver no matter what I do... might be time for a lesson

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ESPN Stats & Info posted:

From 2005-2009, Tiger Woods never made more than 2 double-bogeys on Par 5s in a season. Made 2 such double-bogeys on the front nine today.

Queue the 'Tiger is done for' talk yet?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is fitting typically supposed to happen before or after purchasing clubs? You know what, gently caress it. I'm just gonna buy the Callaway Strata Ultimates now and send them back to Amazon if the fitting pro says I need to bad enough. I need a full set of clubs. The reviews for the Strata Ultimates (and the Strata Pluses, too, for that matter) are hugely positive, and it's not like there's a huge selection of full club sets out there to choose from anyway.

This will be my first set of clubs. I know DoctaFun advises that people buy used for their first clubs, but I hate HATE HATE buying used anything, and a new set of Strata Ultimates are about the price I was expecting to spend anyway. Plus I'm gonna be using these at least 2 to 3 times per week.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 9, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is fitting typically supposed to happen before or after purchasing clubs? You know what, gently caress it. I'm just gonna buy the Callaway Strata Ultimates now and send them back to Amazon if the fitting pro says I need to bad enough. I need a full set of clubs. The reviews for the Strata Ultimates (and the Strata Pluses, too, for that matter) are hugely positive, and it's not like there's a huge selection of full club sets out there to choose from anyway.

This will be my first set of clubs. I know DoctaFun advises that people buy used for their first clubs, but I hate HATE HATE buying used anything, and a new set of Strata Ultimates are about the price I was expecting to spend anyway. Plus I'm gonna be using these at least 2 to 3 times per week.
Buying used golf clubs is even smarter than buying a used car. It's not like buying a used mattress.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Golf Tags Review :

Let me preface this by the fact that I'm normally a terrible golfer, and I'm even worse lately due to a multitude of factors (new irons, rebuilt swing, only a month and change after carpal tunnel surgeries). I mis-hit WAY more shots than usual, and got so frustrated with my drives early on that I bagged it for the majority of the round. So : Don't harsh my lovely score too much : https://www.golfpadgps.com/round/RGJALE

The Good :

Marking shots works well most of the time. I don't so much tap the club to my pocket as kind of just wipe it across my phone, because it's hard to tell exactly where the NFC ability starts and stops on a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. The phone buzzes and you have the option to have it play a subtle tone even when the phone is silent.

Shots marked are instantly displayed on your smart watch. I used my Pebble for this round. It tells you the club you just marked (9i) , followed by your previous yardage for your last shot (8i 145y). Marking your putter will tell you the current tally for the hole.

Golf Pad gives you all the stats you can ask for related to your shots you took for the current round, activity for a certain course, etc. You can get all this info with the regular Golf Pad app if you manually input your clubs when you mark a shot, the Golf Tags just make it a lot more convenient.

Battery drain on my phone was pretty good. Your phone screen NEEDS to stay on for NFC to work, so Golf Pad has their own "lock screen" that dims the screen as far as possible while keeping it active. After 18 holes I'd say my phone only lost maybe 15% more of its charge as it usually would have after a round.

You don't NEED a smart watch to go with the app / tags, but honestly the tags lose their a bit of their convenience if you have to pull your phone out to check yardages anyways.

The Bad :

Marking shots only works if the Golf Pad app is active, unlike marking shots with the pebble where you can still have your text messages open or whatever.

They're just pieces of plastic you screw into the end of your clubs. Obviously there's an NFC chip inside, but they look a little 'cheap' on the club end, and my putter looks flat out dumb with it completely not matching the shape of the putter grip. No color options. Black would have been a lot more preferable instead of the bright rear end blue.

Conclusion :

It's right what I'd expected. I can't wait to get a lot more rounds under my belt with this and see the stats take shape a lot more accurately. I was already a Golf Pad fan because they've been the best to implement smart watch features, had my eye on Game Golf, and got super excited to see them release Golf Tags.

Their support is outstanding and there's a money back guarantee. I've spent a hundred bucks on way dumber poo poo than this. 9/10.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Josh Lyman posted:

Buying used golf clubs is even smarter than buying a used car. It's not like buying a used mattress.

My first car was a used car, and it ended up being a broken piece of poo poo money pit that my family later regretted because of all the cash we lost from having to take it to the shop so many loving times, so telling me that something is "smarter than buying a used car" isn't really saying much. :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My first car was a used car, and it ended up being a broken piece of poo poo money pit that my family later regretted because of all the cash we lost from having to take it to the shop so many loving times, so telling me that something is "smarter than buying a used car" isn't really saying much. :v:
Don't buy a broken used car. :v:

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I'm super happy with the used irons I bought over eBay more than a year ago. Also happy with the new bargain bin 3-wood I got 9 months ago at the largest golf superstore in East Palo Alto.

If you're worried about the clubs not fitting, just take a month off and then you won't have a swing to fit them to!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Definitely look for slightly used clubs on Ebay after getting a brief fitting. Lot's of 3-6mo old clubs out there dumped by "club ho's" at 60% off MSRP.

Hey speaking of club hoez I just got some of those Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB wedges (54/58 after testing them at our big rear end outdoor course/range/shop) and holy poo poo, my 2 year old Vokey's will be hitting Ebay soon.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Plus I'm gonna be using these at least 2 to 3 times per week.

This is a huge reason not to buy a pre-packaged set of crappy clubs, btw.

If you're someone that golfs a couple of times a year and wants to have your own set so you don't have to rent, then fine, buy those. But if you actually end up playing 2-3 times a week for any amount of time you will very quickly regret not getting a proper fitting and buying a good set of clubs, used or otherwise.

I know because I did exactly that when I started playing. 3 months later I just gave my starter set to a friend of mine and started over with all used high quality clubs off of eBay and golfwrx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yamacruiser
Sep 28, 2011

I am the one who knocks!

So I'm in the market for a new full set of clubs. I know clubs are a subjective thing, but does anyone here have any experience with/opinions on these Callaway Strata Ultimate clubs?

Amazon seems to have a good deal going on them, and I'm really tempted to just pull the trigger on them now, but I'd like to get some thoughts from y'all before I do that.

For the record, I tried out a set of Strata clubs the other day and I liked them, so it's not a question of whether I find them comfortable or not.

A friend of mine just got a set of these. Within 6 rounds the 7i bent at the hosel and the 6i snapped the head off. Hopefully you have better luck but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, and my whole bag is calloway.