Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Thanks net work!

Scyron posted:

Is this is the relevant thread to talk about Ultra music festival and EDM and good things like that?

Not really, try the house/electro thread. I believe there was an EDM thread floating around for a while as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Hey guys, forgive me if there's a better forum for this, but I'm looking for some minimal techno for a set I'm working on. I Usually mix stuff like Droplex, Jus Deelax, Daniel Portman, etc. Looking for some producers that are a little less well known. Preferably stuff that isn't too dark and is more dancey. I know techno purists are bound to find these guys a bit on the cheese end of the spectrum but I figured I'd give it a shot here anyways.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
Repress from Gene Hunt's LP back in the 90s on Delroy Edwards L.A. Club Resources label.

Some really quality poo poo getting posted in this thread recently, keep it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xatMi043U

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Made a new techno mix. Lots of tracks released in the last few months and some old ones that were sitting in my JunoDownload cart for the last year. Was super fun to record.

https://soundcloud.com/bwvmixes/april-mix-1

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Can I ask, what classifies techo, from trance, electronic dance, and synth?

Back in 2002, I was huge int techno but as an adult of 29 I feel like it is all same, and I love it all. Am I missing some subtly?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Well, just listen to whatever you like. But, the main defining feature of techno is a certain kind of evolving repetition. It's also generally more focused around sound design and texture, and a relative minimum of melodic content that is often mostly a vehicle for synth work, and especially avoids harmonic progression. Lots of modern techno has texture bass that is more rumble than riff.

Something like trance on the other hand is likely to be strongly melodic and is much more likely to have some kind of functional harmony. It also has strongly "synthy" sound design tropes.

House also has lots of melody and harmonic progression but of different sorts, and generally a much more acoustic or organic sound design aesthetic, it also tends to have loud, riffy basslines.

Those are all really broad generalizations and you can nitpick it all into a million subgenres and whatever. If you just listen to enough stuff and pay attention to the labels other people put on it, you'll eventually get a sense of it. But anyway, here are some tracks illustrating what I just wrote about.

This is techno of the dark and heavy sort:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ybewavQWU

This is trance, I don't listen to it so here's a tune I remember being huge when I was a young pup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XuRqqjbatw

This is house on the deep side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sz7JACkSTI

breaks fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 24, 2015

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Just listen to the various channels on di.fm for a couple hours each, that should give you a good feel for the genres.

If it contains some British woman singing of any kind I'd venture to say it's not techno, and is likely trance instead. Sometimes there are voice clips used from movies and rap and poo poo, but for the most part techno has no words. "Trance" pretty much just look at the name and that's what you'll find in the music, someone trying to put you in some happier place. House is pretty easy to pick out because it's really just the evolution of disco.

There are obviously a shitload of crossovers and other genres (tech-house, progressive, blah blah blah) but frankly the best approach is to just find some DJs whose sound you like and branch out from there. If you're listening to podcasts the DJs tend to have guests and give you info on what songs they are playing, so just pay attention to that and take note of the names of whose sounds you like.

For EDM just listen to the Ultra channel on di.fm. Not my kind of sound at all. Dubstep is even worse...

Speaking of which! Going to Ministry of Sound tonight for my first time ever!

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 24, 2015

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Gejimayu posted:

Hey guys, forgive me if there's a better forum for this, but I'm looking for some minimal techno for a set I'm working on. I Usually mix stuff like Droplex, Jus Deelax, Daniel Portman, etc. Looking for some producers that are a little less well known. Preferably stuff that isn't too dark and is more dancey. I know techno purists are bound to find these guys a bit on the cheese end of the spectrum but I figured I'd give it a shot here anyways.

These may be too dark for you but they are danceable so I will throw them out. Maksim Dark, Dadive, Knobs are a few artists and check out the labels Lethal Dose and D.M.T.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I always explain house as being more organic sounding (brass, piano, samples/vocals) and derivative of disco, bit lighter, great in the sun. Techno as more cold, heavier and machine driven, more synthesizers and alien noises, rougher around the edges, derivative of the Detroit landscape. Obviously thats pretty general but most people seem to get it after that.
Trance I guess would be faster, sweeping melodies, big chords. big hands in the air moments where you can you understand why people take drugs and listen to this music.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hey Movement people, what afterparties look good to you? I got presales for 3 Chairs on Friday and the Anthology one on Monday.

The lineup for Paradigm's first night is drat good and tickets are almost sold out. All of their events at City Club are at tier 4/5 presale already even without lineups posted so it's tempting to grab one... what makes that venue so good?

breaks
May 12, 2001

There is too much good stuff on Friday. 3 Chairs, Blank Code, Smart Bar / RA with Bicep and Black Madonna and a bunch of others, and the thing with Eddie Fowlkes etc looks solid too.

Paradigm is probably the best thing on Saturday, there's nothing else too compelling. I might end up at the Carl Craig thing. I think most of my friends are doing the Modern Cathedrals night.

Sunday I think I'm going to Interface but might still bail out for Kraviz's night with her, Robert Hood, and Terrence Dixon.

Anthology looks like the way to go on Monday to me too.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Black Madonna owns.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Mix is really good BWV. Thanks for the share.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Has anybody stayed across the river in Windsor for Movement in the past? I ask because I am unfortunately stuck booking late due to friends of mine being tentative until the very last minute. Everything near Hart Plaza in Detroit proper is completely booked at this point (to be expected), but there seems to be a lot of close and affordable vacancy in Windsor. I already have a passport, no criminal record, and generally appear a pretty standup dude to most people in public, so I cannot foresee having issues crossing back and forth across the border. This is made double-easy by the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel I am thinking. I guess for $5 you can just take a bus over and then you're right there in Hart Plaza.

Seems ok? Am I missing anything with this plan? Would also be my first time attending Movement, so any first-timer DO THIS or DON'T DO THIS wisdom would also be much appreciated. Thanks Techno thread. :)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Siets posted:

Would also be my first time attending Movement, so any first-timer DO THIS or DON'T DO THIS wisdom would also be much appreciated. Thanks Techno thread. :)

NO NO NO, the border crossing can eat up a ton of time and generally not advised to stay in Windsor. Your best option at this point is to drive or use uber. Cabs are fine going from the airport into downtown, but you'll learn real quick to avoid them while actually in the city since nobody runs their meters.

Other tips...

Movement attendees are the coolest group of people I've ever run into. Don't be intimidated... smile, dance, geek out over tunes.

Marathon, not a sprint. Core essentials: comfy broken in shoes, ear plugs, water, don't forget to take breaks to sit down and eat.

The Dancesafe tent is your best friend for random essentials. At the very least you could refill cold water for free, but it's a safe place to go if you/someone else is having a tough time.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome advice, thanks.

Although I am still confused as to why Windsor is such a bad option? I'd be about a mile away from Hart Plaza. Does border crossing really represent more of an issue than driving 10+ miles through downtown Detroit and dealing with the fest's parking? My thought was to cross the border early in the day and spend all day and some of the night in Detroit before crossing back to Windsor for sleep. If you really do advise against it though, welp, guess I'll have to keep digging for accommodations.

(I swear, next year I'm just going to book this for myself in January and screw everybody else. :sigh:)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Have you ever experienced the lines at a border crossing? Windsor isn't far but it's also impossible to predict how long the processing time and delays will take on the Canada to US transition (that's the more likely possibility) so it really could put a huge dent into your plans.

I don't even wanna imagine how suspicious Border Patrol would treat you once you're crossing the border for like the 3rd/4th time in a weekend with them knowing you're going to an electronic music festival. gently caress that.

e: Please don't take all that the wrong way, but I got the impression that you're severely underestimating the odds of having delays (or worse). We all want to have a good time and this isn't worth potentially ruining the whole experience.

air- fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 4, 2015

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

air- posted:

I don't even wanna imagine how suspicious Border Patrol would treat you once you're crossing the border for like the 3rd/4th time in a weekend with them knowing you're going to an electronic music festival. gently caress that.

Basically this... I've never had trouble going into Detroit (I'm Canadian) and saying it's for the festival but that was in and out. You can be subject to random spot checks and it will flag you when your car pulls up if you're going back and forth. You can be brought in for further questioning and a search and at the least you'll have to tell the same story and be interrogated each time.
I have lots of experience with regularly driving across the (Niagara/NY) border for unrelated reasons and it's a massive pain in the rear end.

Unless someone wants to chime in with a different experience crossing the border sucks. If you do it anyway forget drugs and be ready to be profiled because you will look like you've been partying non stop.

edit: can't stress enough that border patrol does not gently caress around.

Check airbnb. Second year I went I stayed at one a bit further away from Hart Plaza. It was an awesome experience because we stayed with super cool people and we got by with experience and a bit of common sense. Tell the cabbies to turn the meters on. If you find one you like get their personal number, they are always looking for business. Never tried uber although I probably would now. Have some sort of an idea as to where you are going so you don't randomly get stranded and the distance isn't that bad.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 4, 2015

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Which afterparty looks better on Saturday?
http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?710878
https://www.facebook.com/events/974125895941767/

Sunday might be a rest night... been digging and got it narrowed down to these, but still not feeling super enthusiastic for any:
http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?699298
http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?713458
https://www.facebook.com/events/530757483729156/

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the marathon not a sprint advice is super important. Except it's more like a super marathon. Try to get a place with AC. You can basically sneak in as much booze as you want and the security is pretty lax. However dont drink that much during the day unless you're going to not stop until 4 am. At which point, dont stop drinking or you'll die.

Go to the underground, wear earplugs and lose all track of time.

Lastly, Made in Detroit Stage will be your love. Treat her right and give her all of your time.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
All these Movement posts are making me incredibly jealous! To cheer me up, what good stuff have people heard from this year so far? Especially interested in any dub techno kinda stuff.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes I'm really happy I live in Minneapolis. :unsmith:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

One day I will clear some punk-rear end dance floor with this record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DZhI9PDK4c

Siets posted:

Mix is really good BWV. Thanks for the share.

thanks. I tried to use all the new tracks I bought this last month. Playing all that techno doesn't get me as many plays as the house musiks but I like it better

BWV fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 6, 2015

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

There's too many cool technos that are being released on vinyl only and it hurts my feelings since I'm not about to get a pair of Techs (as if I had the space for them anyways).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Double-post because the Movement schedule was released via this Facebook post which is exciting:
https://www.facebook.com/movementdetroit/photos/a.125245204164488.15337.109257062429969/934117249943942/?type=1

If you save the file you'll get it in full size so you can actually see the times.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

That KiNK and Recondite conflict is kinda annoying but... think this works for my Saturday: Midland - KiNK - Paula Temple or Gaiser ??? - (probably take a quick break here) - Paul Woolford - Cell Injection - finish with Carl Craig

Sunday: constantly move between Made In Detroit and Underground (Rodhad - Dettmann - Ben Klock :stare:), Monday is pretty much all RBMA (JETS - Ben UFO - Joy O), might catch Sterac. Can't wait for Squarepusher.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Saturday and Monday aren't so bad for conflicts but Sunday is pretty rough I think.

IMO be sure to catch at least a bit of Marshall Applewhite on Monday, slow, raw, weird, trashy stuff.

Unfortunately work is loving me over and I'm probably not going to make it up to Detroit after all, super bummed. :( Might have a VIP ticket for sale under my cost once I get it figured out for sure.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Crossposting a mix I just put together. Should be enough techno in there to justify being able to put it in this thread...hope you enjoy!

https://www.mixcloud.com/robmccall/space-station-workout-video/

Soulphiction - Ann Arbor [Musik Krause]
TYf - Red Hills (Cabaret Voltaire remix) [Join Our Club]
People Get Real - Tang [Blindetonation]
Unspecified Enemies - Multi Ordinal Tracking Unit [Numbers]
ILS - No Soul (PMT mix) [Marine Parade]
DJ Fast Eddie - Hip House [DJ International]
Neon Judgment - TV Treated (Jimmy Edgar remix) [Lektroluv]
Bam Bam - Move To Da Groove [Stilove4music]
Vincent Markowski - The Madness of Moths [D.C. Recordings]
Nightmares on Wax - Dextrous (Warp Records)
L.B. Dub Corp - Take a Ride feat. Benjamin Zephaniah [Ostgut Ton]
Roisin Murphy - Jealousy (House mix) [Crosstown Rebels]
Cevin Fisher - Music Saved My Life (Pete Heller’s Groove Jet Moment Mix) [Maxi Records]
TBD - Okay, Cool [DFA]
Bicep - Mixxmaster 88 [Wolf Music Recordings]
Bobby Konders - Nervous Acid [Massive B]
Aphex Twin - Analogue Bubblebath [Mighty Force]

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 14, 2015

air-
Sep 24, 2007

My Movement wristbands showed up in the mail yesterday, very close to being there :yayclod:

I also have a friend selling a 3 day GA wristband to Movement for $150 (less than the site's face value with fees included), anyone interested can shoot me a PM. Can meet at our hotel to pick it up.                 

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
My wife managed to get a Movement pass from her work last minute so I bought a ticket for Saturday. Didn't think we would go this year but looks like I'll at least get to go for a day!! My friends are letting us crash on their floor for the night. Really happy to be back in Detroit!!
We are checking out Juan Atkins at deep Detroit for the after party. Anyone know is there is anything going on Sunday during the day? I'd like to stick around before driving back but I only have a festival ticket for Saturday.

breaks
May 12, 2001

So due to some work schedule changes I'm not able to make it to detroit this year so my Movement vip ticket is for sale. I'd like to get 200 for it which is 30 less than I paid and 60 less than they are sold for now. PM me if you or someone you know is interested. It is a will call ticket, I already checked with flavorus and they confirmed it can be transferred.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

^^^ I'll ask around and see, but pretty much everyone I know is sorted.

There are way too many good afterparties on Saturday and I'm glad I didn't get a presale since I can't decide... really thinking it'll boil down to a game day decision.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Holy poo poo might be just as well that I couldn't go to Movement, just looking at pics of that will call line is stressing me out.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

breaks posted:

Holy poo poo might be just as well that I couldn't go to Movement, just looking at pics of that will call line is stressing me out.

It wasn't too bad. I picked them up at will call at 2 and was done within 30 minutes which isn't bad all things considered.

ForsakenDragoon
Jun 17, 2010

net work error posted:

It wasn't too bad. I picked them up at will call at 2 and was done within 30 minutes which isn't bad all things considered.

Yeah, we were lucky and they were coming around asking people if they had paper receipts so we were able to skip the line... Took my brother and his girlfriend 4.5 hours to get in though.

Apparently they got a new ticket vendor, which is why the lines were so awful.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone else catch Paula Temple? She had the underground in a stranglehold before the sun even set :stare:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

air- posted:

Anyone else catch Paula Temple? She had the underground in a stranglehold before the sun even set :stare:

Yeah that was a fantastic set. Cell Injection blew me away as expected but Paula Temple rocked it.

I do see what people meant by the sound not being the best in the Underground area, it reflects everywhere.

Also that sucks that your friends had to wait hours for their tickets that's unacceptable.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

So I'll get to spend some time in Berlin after Dekmantel. Pretty stoked about the Katharsis party because Regis couldn't go and they swapped in Paula Temple.

Anyone else going to this? :staredog:

breaks
May 12, 2001

Hey if any of you guys have gone to decibel before, how well do the festival passes work out? Do the various venues fill up to capacity pretty quick, or can you hop around a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

So besides Movement, Dekmantel is the essential festival to do as a techno lover. Every stage has a Funktion One setup, including the little wooden stand in their food court area. Phenomenal lineup to the point where nearly every artist playing could headline a festival.. nearly felt like the entire festival was a scheduling conflict, well in a good way!

The UFO stage utterly humiliated all other indoor festival stages. Plus there's some neat spaces like the Selectors stage that is well shaded by weeping willows. Boiler Room's stage is a little mini hangar type thing so if you do make it inside, only monitors are indoors and it kinda felt like you hear different sounds compared to being blasted by stacks outside.