Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

erm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I now understand what people have been saying about mobile survivor homes. I've been living out of my Mad Max supercop cruiser complete with bed and kitchen suite, and it's amazing to slam my spiked bumper into wildlife and then turn their corpses into meat jerky in between picking off zombies with my pneumatic assault rifle. I think I'll maybe give that megastore a pass for now though - I don't really like my chances against a Hulk and two Brutes, spiked bumper be damned :stare:

Once I finally find a goddamn jack, I have a road roller marked on my map that needs disassembling. I'm gonna replace the electric engine in the Lawbringer Mk. I with a big diesel fucker, bodge in a few nice big fuel tanks, armour everything up, slap those rollers on it, and let the solar panels power my massive suite of onboard equipment while I just rage around using the gas I've saved up to feed the Lawbringer Mk. II on its mighty rampage.

This game is a good game.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I now understand what people have been saying about mobile survivor homes. I've been living out of my Mad Max supercop cruiser complete with bed and kitchen suite, and it's amazing to slam my spiked bumper into wildlife and then turn their corpses into meat jerky in between picking off zombies with my pneumatic assault rifle. I think I'll maybe give that megastore a pass for now though - I don't really like my chances against a Hulk and two Brutes, spiked bumper be damned :stare:

Once I finally find a goddamn jack, I have a road roller marked on my map that needs disassembling. I'm gonna replace the electric engine in the Lawbringer Mk. I with a big diesel fucker, bodge in a few nice big fuel tanks, armour everything up, slap those rollers on it, and let the solar panels power my massive suite of onboard equipment while I just rage around using the gas I've saved up to feed the Lawbringer Mk. II on its mighty rampage.

This game is a good game.

Steamrolling is one of the times when a V12 or two isn't totally irrelevant overkill. Make sure your monster doom cube is made of heavy frames (and thoroughly plated) though.

For some reason I kept reading that as Lawnbringer and envisioned the steam-driven blender machine from Army of Darkness.

...also this game needs a chainsaw-arm CBM; the megaman blaster is lame.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

nftyw posted:

It's kind of a pain honestly, you need to make a forge (vehicle-rigged electric forge is my go-to, so gather up heating elements from stoves and copper wire) so you can smelt lead from metal, which you use with concentrated acid (get that chemistry set up and ready!) to make a small storage battery that you make into a rechargable battery mod, which you attach to your jackhammer or whatever. Then you get to make a recharging station, which will take more electronics, and slap it in a car trunk or something, and then after turning it on and dropping the rechargable item into it you'll find it slowly recharges.

Where would I find/make a recharging station and what would it be called in game for my craft menu? I'm already capable of making a rechargeable battery mod and my electronics/fabrication/survival are all at level six, in case it requires an even higher level or if I should be capable of making it. I already have a vehicle forge rig, chemistry station, kitchen unit, and a foodco installed.

EDIT: Okay so it turns out I don't have high enough skill to learn it yet. Any good ways to grind electronics from 6 to 7 then and more, if necessary?

Super edit: Been meaning to ask this for a while now but it kept slipping my mind. Is an electrohack used for anything at all?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 6, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BTW you can get lead battery plates and conc acid from disassembling car batteries. Makes making tons of small storage batteries easier.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Blackray Jack posted:

Where would I find/make a recharging station and what would it be called in game for my craft menu? I'm already capable of making a rechargeable battery mod and my electronics/fabrication/survival are all at level six, in case it requires an even higher level or if I should be capable of making it. I already have a vehicle forge rig, chemistry station, kitchen unit, and a foodco installed.

EDIT: Okay so it turns out I don't have high enough skill to learn it yet. Any good ways to grind electronics from 6 to 7 then and more, if necessary?

Super edit: Been meaning to ask this for a while now but it kept slipping my mind. Is an electrohack used for anything at all?

Electronics is a total pain to raise and really needs to be tweaked. Not only are most of the recipes book locked, most of the electronics books have minimum skill levels and negative morale modifiers, which forces your guy to find and read each one in the proper order and become an emo mess learning how to solder poo poo together. On top of that, half the electronics recipes you learn now use mechanics or fabrication, robbing you of the ability to grind it up easily without marathon study sessions. Electronics and computers are usually the last skills I grind up because you pretty much need a self-sufficient food and water supply to last through weeks of reading.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Wild T posted:

Electronics is a total pain to raise and really needs to be tweaked. Not only are most of the recipes book locked, most of the electronics books have minimum skill levels and negative morale modifiers, which forces your guy to find and read each one in the proper order and become an emo mess learning how to solder poo poo together. On top of that, half the electronics recipes you learn now use mechanics or fabrication, robbing you of the ability to grind it up easily without marathon study sessions. Electronics and computers are usually the last skills I grind up because you pretty much need a self-sufficient food and water supply to last through weeks of reading.

You could always just spend character points to start with it at a decent level. I don't know how it is now, but that gave you the book recipes at the level you could learn them a while back too.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Is there any way to raise the spawn rate of monsters, or regenerate with a higher spawn rate (in the case of static) without losing any progress?

I have a badass cyborg firefighter-mechanic-electrician-hacker-samurai with a deathmobile that I don't want to lose, but I want more fodder since I kind of set the initial rate too low.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mudlark posted:

Is there any way to raise the spawn rate of monsters, or regenerate with a higher spawn rate (in the case of static) without losing any progress?

I have a badass cyborg firefighter-mechanic-electrician-hacker-samurai with a deathmobile that I don't want to lose, but I want more fodder since I kind of set the initial rate too low.

If you set it higher, and then go to a new unexplored worldmap (just head in any cardinal direction until you load one) that should use the new spawn settings.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

If you set it higher, and then go to a new unexplored worldmap (just head in any cardinal direction until you load one) that should use the new spawn settings.

Cool, thanks!

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Blackray Jack posted:

I usually search for certain research journals in labs, or hunt for one of the more high end textbooks from a library of some sort. Electrohacks can be used on card key panels found in front of labs and military supply storage, though it is generally not advisable to do so unless you have some way of destroying or disabling the turrets that lurk inside, using an ID is better as it will disable the defenses. Once inside a military storage area an electrohack is much more useful because you can unlock the doors there without fear of encountering deadly mil spec turrets.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Skill rust is loving bullshit and absolutely unfun.

Yet I feel like I'm cheating when I leave it off.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I agree, except I don't feel like I'm cheating because it's an astonishingly stupid and bad mechanic in its current implementation.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

silentsnack posted:

...also this game needs a chainsaw-arm CBM; the megaman blaster is lame.

Ok so after reading this I believe this is pretty simple to do (and an awesome idea~)

I'm having trouble making catamodder actually go though...

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Motherfucker posted:

Skill rust is loving bullshit and absolutely unfun.

Yet I feel like I'm cheating when I leave it off.

Use IntCap. Actual rate of rust is determined by your intelligence, actual amount of rust is capped to the bottom of the last level you trained up. Still not great if you for some reason train something to like 90% but can't do so anymore long enough for it to hit 0%, but that's not a problem you're likely to run into or have to care about until you hit very high skill levels, by which point you should have ways of coping (like drugs, or just tons of materials you can put together for weeks of crafting).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Does the game still have that thing where the more total skill points you have the faster your skill degrades? Cause when I was trying to forge a rapier every time I failed and had to go eat/sleep by the time I woke up my skill degraded from the requisite 8 to 7 (70%) in the matter of hours, it was rather annoying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Not enuf dakka.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Does the game still have that thing where the more total skill points you have the faster your skill degrades? Cause when I was trying to forge a rapier every time I failed and had to go eat/sleep by the time I woke up my skill degraded from the requisite 8 to 7 (70%) in the matter of hours, it was rather annoying.

I just turn off skill rust entirely. It's a game and if you want to play it that way like the devs intended it to then that is ok, what was I thinking again, oops my posting skill degraded to 0, grtta grond ir backk upp btrrb

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I turned it off. gently caress the devs.

I could understand if like, days didn't take twenty seconds a piece and the degradation took you down over a long time, but between all the plates you've gotta spin in this fastmotion survival hellscape I don't have time to lose my 1 point in plate spinning.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I guess I should just turn it off, honestly I struggle to figure out what the current implementation adds to my playing experience. The way it currently works basically means that any advanced crafting project just requires an increased investment of food/water/time to read from your skill books before attempting the craft, it doesn't make the game any more fun or challenging as usually by the time you undertake level 8/9 crafts of any skill you are fully capable of stocking up for a couple of days with relative ease, heck you'd usually be sitting on piles of non-perishable food or ingredients anyway (which can easily be replenished by just visiting a nearby forest, killing all critters you see and foraging through the underbrush).

No way to disable it without starting a new game is there?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

No way to disable it without starting a new game is there?

I'm pretty sure you can turn it on/off at any time, it's right there in the debug options.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Easy. In game hit '?' , then '2', then tab over to 'current world'.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Okay, so, if you find a suspiciously boarded-up house with reinforced windows, don't barge in the front door and start tromping around looking for loot. There might be booby traps. Lots of booby traps. My lady Robocop just facetanked two shotgun blasts, multiple land mines, and a bear trap before I finally got angry enough to have her just walk around the outside of the building smashing holes in its goddamn walls with a morning star. After hauling home a couple thousand empty casings, some useful crafting materials, and a handful of gun mods (including holographic sights!!), she used a couple of first aid kits to glue herself back together and then took a nap. She's right as rain now, except for being basically naked from her waist to her neck because the land mines blew her bra, shirt, and kevlar vest clean off her torso (and she just calmly walked out of there popping aspirin. jesus this girl is hardcore :stare:). Time to scrounge for clothes I guess.

e: Is there a functional limit to the number/types of CBMs one can install? I found a shitton of incredibly good CBMs in a pile of metal wreckage and I really want to turn my Robocop into the loving Terminator. I really hope Metabolic Interchange works the way it sounds - by making all power consumption directly translate to hunger and thirst, instead of gradually restoring power at the cost of hunger and thirst - because one of those CBMs is a power armour interface and I just scored a suit of power armour off a soldier zombie. Gonna be a granola-powered chromed-out power-armoured omnicop and arrest dinosaurs for disturbing the peace :black101:

e2: Crap, the wiki indicates that Metabolic Interchange works by gradually converting nutrition into energy. Hmm... I also found some solar panels and another Power Storage CBM. If I install both of those I should have pretty decent power capacity and gradual energy regeneration in sunlight even when the Interchange is deactivated. Just gotta scrounge up another power source and I should be pretty well set for sustainable green cyber-energy! I wonder if I can find a lab to go with all these ID cards...

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 6, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I think it gets exponentially harder to install new CBMs as you mod up... Don't quote me though, I've never had the problem of having too many CBMs

Also metabolic isn't so bad since its activatable and automatically turns itself off if you're going to starve, its worth sticking it on even if you don't use it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Robocops start with Metabolic Interchange, infrared vision, and titanium plating on their limbs and torso. It's a pretty sweet starting package :buddy:

I haven't even used it yet since I've had no use for infravision so far (zombies don't produce body heat).

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Playing this game has made me realize all of my favorite horror and horror-scifi movies would be better, and coincidentally much worse, if the protagonists just had a goddamned battlebus.

Also, no morale hit if you powerslide your 30 ton ApocAPC into a building full of zombified school children, and that's nice.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

They need to make a Duke Boys perk that gives you morale bonuses for power slides and sweet jumps.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Diplomat posted:

Robocops start with Metabolic Interchange, infrared vision, and titanium plating on their limbs and torso. It's a pretty sweet starting package :buddy:

I haven't even used it yet since I've had no use for infravision so far (zombies don't produce body heat).

Metabolic Interchange is probably one of the best CBMs for power generation, you get a lot of power for not a ton of food energy. It's incredibly convenient since the Integrated Toolsets which are relatively common finds in labs act as a hotplate and a welder so you can cook meat and fix cars at virtually any moment. Just toss some dried food into your supplies and bike your way across the wastelands in power armor.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Just imagining a super badass cyborg dude standing next to a pot of pasta for 30 minutes at a time heating up the water with his flamethrower finger is funny enough.

With that said it could actually be pretty nice if certain crafts (boiling water, food) allowed for 'ambient reading' or something along those lines where you could read books rather than do nothing.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Personally I prefer Internal Furnace because wood is a near-unlimited resource. Although that's mostly because I remember the old version where Metabolic Interchange was always activated and a permanent drag on your food resources.

Also I don't think it matters how many CBMs you have. It seems to depend entirely on intelligence, first aid/electronic skill and some internal CBM difficulty modifier.

And yes, remember to take a shovel to any metal wreckage you find, I've strolled out with a dozen new CBMs before.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
just start as a bionic student

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
My current character has nearly 50 CBMs and just broke 10,000 power so I don't think it matters how many you have. Also I want to reiterate the degree to which the fusion blaster rifle trivializes outdoor monsters - the only limiting factor on it is basically the 3x3 fires it causes every single time it shoots, and the 5x5 explosion. As long as a monster isn't right next to me, unless I want to eat it or butcher it for more CBMs, it's dead. Good rate of fire, energy drain is minimal, it's great. I have more ammunition, explosives, inert turrets, spare parts, chemical components, etc. than I know what to do with. The only thing I don't have is the rest of the CBMs, power armor helmets, and some of the energy weapons.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
If I have an internal toolset CBM and I want to weld the bars off the windows of a gun store, how can I do that? I tried crashing an electric car into the side of the store but I wasn't going fast enough and broke the engine.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dotcom656 posted:

If I have an internal toolset CBM and I want to weld the bars off the windows of a gun store, how can I do that? I tried crashing an electric car into the side of the store but I wasn't going fast enough and broke the engine.
Internal toolset doesn't allow that, sadly. You'll need an actual acetylene torch.

That or a a fingerpick implant for the door.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Strudel Man posted:

Internal toolset doesn't allow that, sadly. You'll need an actual acetylene torch.

That or a a fingerpick implant for the door.

Will improvised lockpick work? There's only one nearby garage and there wasn't a torch.

EDIT: Yes improvised lockpick works. HELLO GUNS

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It's kind of funny how the big imposing bunches of bars and reinforced doors to gun stores are pretty handily defeated by a piece of bent scrap metal. Then again a sledgehammer and high strength blasts through walls too so shrug!

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Had a couple of questions I've been meaning to post:

First, I know the long-term difficulty of the game is problematic, in that difficulty is nonexistent long-term. I wonder if any of you have some challenging, but fun character builds that can help make the game a little harder.

Second, and this one is directed at you, GlyphGryph, since it looks like you've done a lot of the writing/lore. One of my favorite things about DDA is its sense of irony, not only with the zombies/Lovecraftian horrors, but also with how it pokes fun at survivalism. Yet in the design document, you (or someone) said "the Cataclysm world takes itself fairly seriously" (paraphrasing, maybe). To me, this doesn't really seem to be the case, and I wonder what the aesthetic sensibility is on the dev team.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

deptstoremook posted:

I wonder what the aesthetic sensibility is on the dev team.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Also lots of furry equipment that, unlike survivor gear and ancient weapons, are not given the option of excluding via mod by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
If by "lots" you mean a single item, then yes.