Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Can you give us a little more to go on maybe Keane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

big scary monsters posted:

Can you give us a little more to go on maybe Keane?

Can you GO POUND SAND?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

CCKeane posted:

Can you GO POUND SAND?

That's very unhelpful. Here, I made

kernel panic's esquites

Had them on a wrap with a bit of salsa. They were decent as a light dish but I felt like they could have used something else to go with them. Chicken would probably work well.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

CCKeane posted:

Hello everyone.

Alasdair isn't scum.

Thanks,

Keane.

Oh God not this again. I'm having flashbacks to Taste's game.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Oh God not this again. I'm having flashbacks to Taste's game.

Why I never!

Please don't vote my good friend Alasdair.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

wall monitor posted:

The gently caress are you smoking?

Okay, follow along with me closely now:

LUTR claims that if Ecco was scum, she could have used a rolecop spice (?) to find Alasdair to be a power role.

You come in, asking me how I know.

I point out that it says so plainly in the OP.

:psyduck:

Okay, first of all, your tone incredibly rude and totally uncalled for. Knock it off with this bad attitude.

Secondly, I'm well aware of these events. I'm just puzzled as to why you would bring this piece of information up in the first place.

Yes, it is in the OP, I can see that. But I don't see how you bringing this up would benefit anyone if you weren't scum.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

EccoRaven posted:

Lutr you are like really, really concerned about Alasdair - a guy who hasn't posted in over a week and who I investigated as scum.

Like, really, unreasonably concerned.

One of the spices is an investigation. If I tell people what it is, the scum know to buy it out in droves (since they are coordinated and have, collectively, a huge pool of points, I imagine). We lose our ability to investigate, just because of your hand-wringing.

Let's say I'm scum and this is all an elaborate ruse, and gosh golly Alasdair is town oh no! Guess who gets voted for tomorrow? Me! It's me, I'm the vote. I will happily self-vote, too. And I'd have died just to get rid of that dastardly Alasdair - a guy who hasn't posted in over a week.

Let's say I'm town though and telling the truth - you're spending all this energy defending someone who is SCUM. Are you sure this is the hill you want to die on? Really? Reeeeally??

I'm not defending Alasdair, I don't give a poo poo whether he lives or dies. I'm after you for withholding information that would be incredibly useful to town. The way you went about this strikes me as really sketch and because of that I'm not on board with anyone you'd ask to have voted.

We're losing the ability to investigate anyway because at this point only you know which spice it is. Am I supposed to take on faith that you aren't scum? The most effective town strategy would be to have as many town players as possible buy those.

Buy some masonries and claim it to people you trust, if you must. But right now I don't believe you.

As far as dying on whatever hill, make my day, please get me dead. I'm here for the cooking and to spread the good news of Dutch baby.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There are no masonry spices left, Grandicap bought nearly all of them. I think there are two others unaccounted for somewhere.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I am OK with voting Alasdair. If he turns out to be town then no great loss and we go for Ecco next. If he ends up scum then all is good.

Really we should be talking about who to lynch after that. I mean Grandi scumclaimed to me and all but he's cool and it seems rude to go for him next after he has been so open and honest.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Look Under The Rock posted:

I'm not defending Alasdair, I don't give a poo poo whether he lives or dies.

It sure seems like you care a lot whether he lives or dies.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

##vote Alasdair

I would also vote LUTR. This is where the scums live.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Sure I'll hammer the scum.

##vote Alasdair
:redhammer:

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: Noooooooooo, goodbye Alasdair Crawfish!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alasdair Crawfish, Town Vanilla, has been killed N3!

You have 48 hours thereabouts to A) buy spices and B) Use them. The game will re-open on Wednesday at 2 am EST. All recipes are still in play except the ones that aren't.

Feel free to cook, as always. I'm aiming to move through the ones I've yet to do this week. Also if anyone has a legitimately good recipe for a real cheesecake I sure could use it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
(I RNG'd a random player to destroy, thank you for not disappointing me.)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I completely forgot to post Alasdair's recipe!

Our dearly departed was a Baked Pear with Roquefort! It's the sort of recipe I love for being simple yet incredibly effective. It goes as follows:

Preheat oven to 375 F

Cut in half and core your pears.

Brush on olive oil

Bake for a half hour

Pack the pear cavity with roquefort and bake for another ten minutes

Drizzle some honey on and enjoy

I'm sure other cheese would work. I'll probably try with brie or camembert myself since I'm pretty sure my partner will kick me out if I bring roquefort into the apartment.

I've got my stuff for the esquites tonight! I'll do the ramen for lunch tomorrow so I don't have to subject my partner to asian noodles two days in a row and I'll have the Pad Thai for dinner. That just leaves the falafel waffles which will turn out to be pancakes in my case.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

It sure seems like you care a lot whether he lives or dies.

I care a lot about you withholding information and I've said that multiple times

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

gently caress app reading gah

Hey guys I'm cooking ramen today at some point.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Look Under The Rock posted:

gently caress app reading gah

Hey guys I'm cooking ramen today at some point.

Me too! And the pear thing, although I couldn't get any roquefort so looks like I'll be using stilton instead.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

House-moving continues to be a kick in the pants. I'm moved in now, but we're having to order entirely new appliances which limits my cooking options till we get them in.

Baked pear I can probably do, though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You can also probably do the ramen if you buy use different ingredients like I'm going to do. It's going to be a hot mess.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
:ghost: yeah the ramen works well with anything you wanna throw in it, essentially its just regular ramen noodles with stuff in it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

kernel panic posted:

We enjoyed it with enchiladas suizas with homemade roasted tomatillo salsa - delicious, but not very picturesque.

So I made this and I want to add that while mexican food is perhaps not the most photogenic it is delicious. I don't know if KP is still reading this but this recipe's a loving keeper.

First words out of my mouth, "Holy gently caress this is Delicious!"

The pictures:

First the ingredients. I was amused to see my corn came from Senegal. It being off-season it was actually kinda expensive 3 euro for 2 ears. So I bought 4. SANS OGM for the curious means that these are not genetically modified.

I didn't take a picture of the corn in a pan because KP did it so well. This is what it looked like finished. Missing was the garlic but that's fine as I'm not the biggest fan of the stuff. I also forgot to buy the cheese, which was fine since my partner really hates cheese so she wouldn't have eaten it.

We had it with some breaded chicken and rice. I'm sure you're quickly realizing that I eat rice with nearly everything. I used a Caribbean pepper since there are no jalapeņos here and it worked wonderfully. The whole thing was spicy in a way I hadn't had in quite some time. I'll show that later when making the pad thai. The cilantro came fresh from our balcony garden and though I had to butcher the plant a bit to get enough I can always grow more.

The hardest part was cutting the kernels off. I eventually got a good technique going but I need to sharpen my knives. Besides that it's a very simple and quick recipe and the result is absolutely terrific, everyone should make this STAT. Thanks again for sharing it!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I cheated and used tinned corn because I thought getting it off the cob would be hard. Had the remainder for breakfast this morning, it's not bad cold either!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Those pears are amazing btw, pictures to come later.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have one large knife and a much smaller 2 to 3 inch paring knife. I found the smaller one to be much easier. It didn't take me more than 8 minutes and it'd of been shorter had I done it over a cutting board instead of the bowl like I did.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
:ghost: I may actually have one bonus recipe left in me, I realized I had a tilapia filet in the freezer I might do a fish fry with rice and turnip greens.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I made the ramen for lunch! I didn't want to put my partner through two nights of asian noodles so the ramen was just for me. Now Cpig's recipe is quite nice and I do a version of it using udon noodles (incidentally the noodles I bought for the pad thai since the rice noodles we have available to us are really awful and I don't like them), but for this I used a proper 50 cents ramen package. I also didn't but mushrooms or carrots or that other stuff, which I normally do when I make what I call "Fancy Noodles" but I just decided to use the leftovers in the fridge.

I was going to add bologna but it seemed off. I think it was for the best. We have the rest of the esquites, the bulbs of the green onions used last night, a small garlic clove, and parmesan for the hell of it.

The bulbs and the garlic spiced with cumin, paprika, sweet pepper, salt, and curry. For those curious how much spice I use this is the best representation I can offer.

The egg on the noodle. I usually drain the water when making ramen as I prefer the noodles on their own as opposed to a water.

All told it was very good. I was bit worried with the mix of things but it worked out really well. Like frozen pizza, ramen can be made indefinitely better but just adding things you probably have lying around. Though stick to ham over bologna, something tells me that would've ended badly.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I made the Pad Thai for dinner. I was reluctant to make it because it contains several ingredients I didn't want to buy since I knew they'd just sit around afterwards going bad. So I quite liberally replaced things. The tamarind was substituted by 1 tbsp of lime juice + 1 tbsp of brown sugar. The rice vinegar became your basic white vinegar. The fish sauce was just soy sauce of the savory sort. I cut out the bean sprouts altogether since I couldn't buy less than half a kilo and that was way too much. Lastly, I didn't use rice noodles. The only sort the shop next door sells is vermicelli like and way gross (I made it soup with it once) so I just bought fancier udon noodles. This turned out to be a bit problematic in trying to mix things into it.

A small aside. These are the peppers I've been using. They're known as Antillaise since the come from the Antilles aka the Caribbean. They're pretty good and taste somewhat like jalapeņos. They can be quite spicy so I used only half since my partner was a bit annoyed at how spicy the esquites came out last night.

The sauce came out pretty good. I was really worried about the changed ingredients but it all worked out fine. Still not sure how it should've come out to be. What was lacking in this recipe were measurements. I used a ratio of 1 tbsp per ingredient pretty much and doubled it to have this amount of sauce. I probably could've tripled it even, but I didn't have much brown sugar left. I know I don't necessarily say how much I spice or salt things, but in terms of raw ingredients it helps to know how much we're using.

The noodles with our shrimp and sauce mixed in. I had a hell of a time mixing in the stuff into the noodles, probably because udon noodles thrive better in broth than dry. Still it mainly worked. I ended up using 1 egg for the egg mix, 2 may have been better but I ran out of eggs as well.

Verdict? Actually pretty tasty and my partner approved so so much the better. It wasn't quite a pad thai flavor and I wonder if I had to use the right ingredients to get that flavor. Maybe. Still I was really glad I went with shrimp because despite costing 6 euro for 200g it was really good. I love those aquatic bugs.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Buy rice vinegar, it's fantastic and vinegar takes a long time to go bad.

I should post my mom's gyoza recipe which makes liberal use of mirin, both in the dumplings themselves and in the dipping sauce.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What's mirin? Also about the rice vinegar, where else could I make use of it? I don't cook asian style dishes all that often and the only reason I go through our white vinegar with any level of regularity is because I use it to clean things.

Also feel free to post whatever you like. Like I did with the first game I'm going to do what I can to collect all the recipes and put them on one accessible doc.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

:siren:Day 4 Begins!:siren:

Sorry I'm starting earlier than intended but it seemed pointless to wait more. So, here's your results:

Grandicap, Mafia Goon, Soft Pretzels, was shot!
Puntification, Town Vanilla, Chocolate Macaroons, was killed!

Here're your recipes:

Dough:
1.5 cups warm water
1 tablespoon raw honey
1.5 tablespoons salt
1 packet active dry yeast
22 oz all purpose flour (about 4.5 cups)
2 oz unsalted butter melted

Alkaline Bath:
10 cups water
.5 cups baking soda

Toppers:
1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
Coarse salt

Method:
Combine the warm water, honey and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer and let sit for 5-10 minutes or when it is foamy.
Add the flour, butter and salt and mix until well combined
Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Then roll into a ball and place in an oiled bowl.
Cover with a tea towel and set in a warm place to rise for about an hour.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and shape as desired. (I usually make 3-4 pretzel shaped and then get fed up and just make rods with the rest)
Bring the Alkaline Bath to a boil.
Gently dip each pretzel into the soak for 30-45 seconds. This dip into the bath is what gives the pretzel the hard shell and distinctive flavor.
Move dipped pretzels to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Be sure to allow space to rise.
Lightly brush pretzels with the eggwash and top with the salt.
Bake 12-15 minutes or until deep golden-brown.

Pair with a softboiled egg for a wonderful breakfast or a nice whole grain mustard. Or switch out the topping salt for some cinnamon sugar for a dessert pretzel.

and

Chocolate Macaroons

125g/4 1/2oz icing sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
100g/4oz ground almonds
2 medium egg whites

for filling
50g/2oz dark chocolate
2tsp skimmed milk

Heat oven 180oC/gas 4, line baking sheet with paper, sift sugar n cocoa, stir in almonds, whisk egg whites until stiff, fold into dry ingredients.
Fill icing bag and pipe 24 small blobs ~3cm across onto baking sheet, leave to dry out (15min), bake for 15-20mins, cool then peel off.
melt chocolate in bowl over boiling water stir in milk till smooth, leave to thicken slightly, smear on macaroon half n sandwich two together, rinse repeat.

The new deadline will be Friday at 2 am EST. I am also striking the Pasta and the Rabbit from the active recipe list. Remember you can all choose to chip in to restock the store, it doesn't have to be one person, if you so desire. I should add that the Pad Thai, Ramen, and Esquites will only be good through to the weekend.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 5, 2015

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Omg I can't wait to make both of those things

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Oh wow grandi was scum? I guess we have an sk... Or a vig... Thanks to that person :)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I could otherwise do a 6 PM Friday deadline if you guys prefer. It'll give you 13 more hours to discuss things.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's mirin? Also about the rice vinegar, where else could I make use of it? I don't cook asian style dishes all that often and the only reason I go through our white vinegar with any level of regularity is because I use it to clean things.

Also feel free to post whatever you like. Like I did with the first game I'm going to do what I can to collect all the recipes and put them on one accessible doc.

Mirin is rice wine vinegar. I love adding it to just about anything for acidity -- not just Asian food. Also if you decide to try making bone broth, vinegar is really important to that and I bet mirin would work way better than balsamic for chicken broth (I just don't have any, still moving).

White vinegar is pretty much only good for cleaning, once you've tried cooking with balsamic and mirin you'll see what I mean and you'll start looking for recipes that feature it.

Here's how to make gyoza:

Finely shred a head of Napa cabbage, place into a bowl, and salt the crap out of it (use kosher or sea salt unless you really love having a weird chemical taste in your food). There should be enough salt tossed through your cabbage that it's gritty. Every few minutes you should give it another toss/squeeze. This will wilt the cabbage.

In the meantime, prep your other ingredients. Put a pound of ground pork in a separate bowl (VEGAN NOTE: my sisters have used seitan in this recipe with decent results) and add a heavy drizzle of sesame oil, a few tablespoons of mirin, a couple tablespoons of soy sauce, about five thinly sliced scallions, and a couple tablespoons of freshly ground ginger root.

(My family doesn't like measuring stuff unless baking)

If you like spicy food, add a spoonful or two of chili paste.

Once your cabbage has wilted, rinse and wring it out. Get as much liquid out as possible. Add it to the bowl with the meat mixture, mix everything up really well.

Get a package of wonton wrappers out and stuff them -- put a scant tablespoon in the middle, wet two edges (dip your finger into a bowl of water and run it over the edges) then fold into a triangle and seal. This part of the process takes loving forever so make these on a night when you've got friends coming over who will help you stuff them. If you're not a social bug, it will take you about an hour to stuff them all.

Now deep fry them until they're brown and crispy, or steam them if you're a health nut. Dipping sauce is half soy sauce and half mirin -- can sub apple cider vinegar if necessary but it really is better with mirin.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

I grabbed another Cinnamon/Watcher spice, and used it on Grandicap. I thus know who shot him, but I'm going to let them decide whether they want to claim that for themselves or not.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Oh wow grandi was scum? I guess we have an sk... Or a vig... Thanks to that person :)
Did you not read the stuff I said about Grandi scumclaiming to me in mason chat?

wall monitor posted:

I grabbed another Cinnamon/Watcher spice, and used it on Grandicap. I thus know who shot him, but I'm going to let them decide whether they want to claim that for themselves or not.
Yeah I don't see any reason not to claim, I vigged him.

He also claimed in mason chat that Alisdair and Harold Krell were on scumteam. Obviously Ecco is (#vote Ecco), my other guess is CCKeane. I don't know how many scum this sort of setup is likely to have, probably 4? Harold, are you the last scum? Tell me for real.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Nah I'm actually town, I'm just fed up with how many players in this game are total non-entities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
For reference (since it's sold out): mint is a vig-kill. I tried to kill Chic last night under the same motivation as Alasdair but I was blocked.

Whoever is the other person who bought mint killed Grandicap. Whoever blocked me is a jerk, killing scum was going to be my ticket to towndom :mad:

• Locked thread