Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I haven't regularly played video games in around seven years. I recently bought a Playstation 3 to catch up.

I see Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on the shelf at my local store.

"I should play this." I think to myself, "It was a very highly regarded game with two (soon to be three) sequels!"

So I get it home and start it. Great graphics, Indiana Jones-esque story/characters, and cool! I'm consulting a journal and solving puzzles! This is like a modern day Tomb Raider I'm into this!

Then the shooting started. The repetitive, boring, and shallow shooting. I figure it'll just be a little bit of shooting until another tomb/puzzle area, but nope, it's just a shitload of cover shooting. Then shooting from the back of a truck, then a jet ski.

Then we finally get to another puzzle area, with the Roman numerals. This is cool again! Then there's shooting again.

I'm on the second to last chapter and it's more shooting.

Are Uncharted 2 and 3 more shooting?

Now that I'm catching up on the past seven years of gaming how much of it is cover based shooting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Crow_Robot posted:

Now that I'm catching up on the past seven years of gaming how much of it is cover based shooting?

I have super bad news for you.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

1stGear posted:

I have super bad news for you.

On the other hand, I have good news for you, and the news is this: if the game has guns in it, you can safely skip it.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
STOP AND POP

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Uncharted 1 is a terrible game. Uncharted 2 is not a good game. I only played a minute of Uncharted 3, and decided that it would be below average at best so I stopped.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Yeah op we know

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Crow_Robot posted:

I haven't regularly played video games in around seven years. I recently bought a Playstation 3 to catch up.

I see Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on the shelf at my local store.

"I should play this." I think to myself, "It was a very highly regarded game with two (soon to be three) sequels!"

So I get it home and start it. Great graphics, Indiana Jones-esque story/characters, and cool! I'm consulting a journal and solving puzzles! This is like a modern day Tomb Raider I'm into this!

Then the shooting started. The repetitive, boring, and shallow shooting. I figure it'll just be a little bit of shooting until another tomb/puzzle area, but nope, it's just a shitload of cover shooting. Then shooting from the back of a truck, then a jet ski.

Then we finally get to another puzzle area, with the Roman numerals. This is cool again! Then there's shooting again.

I'm on the second to last chapter and it's more shooting.

Are Uncharted 2 and 3 more shooting?

Uncharted 2 somewhat improves the encounters but there is still a whole lot of shooting. Uncharted 3 was ok, but by far the worst out of the 3.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Crimson Harvest posted:

On the other hand, I have good news for you, and the news is this: if the game has guns in it, you can safely skip it.

My buddy really wants me to get Army of Two: The 40th Day and play it with him is that advisable? Also how about Mirror's Edge?

Also I assume Gears of War was the original purveyor of all this cover nonsense.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Crow_Robot posted:

My buddy really wants me to get Army of Two: The 40th Day and play it with him is that advisable?

Lmao

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I can't believe you'd list a bunch of reasons Uncharted sucks without even mentioning the hours of lovely on-rails "traversal" sections.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I can't believe you'd list a bunch of reasons Uncharted sucks without even mentioning the hours of lovely on-rails "traversal" sections.

I felt like that was just an extension of the shooting.

Like some execs went, "We can't have too many puzzles we need more shooting. How about shooting....from a truck?????"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Crow_Robot posted:

My buddy really wants me to get Army of Two: The 40th Day and play it with him is that advisable? Also how about Mirror's Edge?

Also I assume Gears of War was the original purveyor of all this cover nonsense.

I only played the original Army of Two, but if it is like that, then it is an ok game to run through coop. But only for that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Crow_Robot posted:

I felt like that was just an extension of the shooting.

Like some execs went, "We can't have too many puzzles we need more shooting. How about shooting....from a truck?????"

I meant the parts where you're jumping across cliffs and rafters and poo poo.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Crow_Robot posted:

The whole game is a puzzle, OP. The puzzle is how to kill 200 enemies that take 20 bullets each with 5 bullets.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I meant the parts where you're jumping across cliffs and rafters and poo poo.

I don't mind that. I mean more exploration/chance to get lost would be nice but it at least wasn't shooting.

The Human Crouton posted:

The whole game is a puzzle, OP. The puzzle is how to kill 200 enemies that take 20 bullets each with 5 bullets.

Yeah the ammo/bullet sponge nature of the enemies is dumb. 99% of the time head shotting with a pistol is easiest. Shoot enemy run get ammo hit circle cover rinse repeat. I don't find it especially difficult since there are a million places to cover even if there are only like two enemies. I'm on normal difficulty.

On that note it's supremely loving stupid how you like get into some area after doing jumps and poo poo then there are just a shitload of bad guys there already somehow. Like they're stagehands coming through a hatch in the floor.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can safely say, I haven't enjoyed any of Naughty Dog's PS3 games. I tried to like them, but they try to be movies so hard and they're not very good at that. And the resources put into the cinematics take away from the actual game mechanics so they're not very good at being games either. At least with Metal Gear Solid, Kojima goes off the rails and does crazy unique poo poo you don't see in other games or movies.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
You can clip through any wall in the game by walking backwards into it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Uncharted games are much better as LPs than games to actually play, I have found.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Also (and I'll put this in spoilers just in case I guess):

Having monsters in the game is dumb. Here instead of shooting people shoot these dumb monster things for 20 mins.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Play infamous/infamous 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

khy posted:

Play infamous/infamous 2.

inFamous was the first thing I played. It was a lotta fun. I plan on playing 2 but didn't want to burn out on the gameplay so I figured I'd give it a bit.

I was gonna platinum inFamous but after going through the game after I beat it with a Blast Shard map I was still six shards short so gently caress that.

• Locked thread