Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Compounded even by the lack of Phat Planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Part of its down to having an ensemble cast of villains who are also meant to be fully geared up, but it does mean that, in order to show off all their forms, the bad guys have to stick around in order to get fully used. In theory, that's good to establish the villains as an actual threat that doesn't go down easy, but what I recall, the delivery does end up making one question the effectiveness of the heroes as well.

Edit: (And I mean this in contrast to stuff like the prior series where, even with recurrencent underlings, there was still a continued focus in using monsters of the week because said underlings didn't have any 'twists' to them - and thus also weren't required to fight all the time)

Not helped that one of the ways the writers tried to establish as a means of character growth and getting a bonus power up on the villains got promptly ignored for raising up the dynamic duo instead.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 2, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Everything said is true. That said, the upside is that the villains are really likable, especially in comparison to how badly the heroes (beyond Koichi) are written. The Dark Warriors are quirky and fun, but actually threatening. LordKnightmon is amusing, Dynasmon is cool. Lucemon is actually a really cool final boss with an epic final fight. Cherubimon is terrible, but at least the Digimon who follow him are cool.

They're still used badly, especially the Royal Knight duo who are basically there to stall the story until episodes run out, but at least they're entertaining as characters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Everything said is true. That said, the upside is that the villains are really likable, especially in comparison to how badly the heroes (beyond Koichi) are written. The Dark Warriors are quirky and fun, but actually threatening. LordKnightmon is amusing, Dynasmon is cool. Lucemon is actually a really cool final boss with an epic final fight. Cherubimon is terrible, but at least the Digimon who follow him are cool.

They're still used badly, especially the Royal Knight duo who are basically there to stall the story until episodes run out, but at least they're entertaining as characters.

Cherubimon looses a lot of his punch when you realize he can literally be summed up as "rear end in a top hat ex-boyfriend".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

nine-gear crow posted:

Cherubimon looses a lot of his punch when you realize he can literally be summed up as "rear end in a top hat ex-boyfriend".

Ex-boyfriend implies that he was a boyfriend at some point. He's not even a spurned lover.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, from what I recall Frontier's villains were pretty distinctive. The actual plots they were used in weren't particularly good, but as characters they were pretty appealing and I really wish they'd gone with the initial plan drafted up regarding the Dark Warriors.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Don't worry, I'll have words about the villains once we finally meet some.

I think we meet the first one in episode 6?

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Classy Hydra posted:

Yeah, from what I recall Frontier's villains were pretty distinctive. The actual plots they were used in weren't particularly good, but as characters they were pretty appealing and I really wish they'd gone with the initial plan drafted up regarding the Dark Warriors.

What was the original plan for the Dark Warriors? They've always been some of my favorite Digimon villains.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FewtureMD posted:

What was the original plan for the Dark Warriors? They've always been some of my favorite Digimon villains.

The only "plans" I'd heard regarding the other five were: 1) there was a human inside Duskmon all along and he was somebody's brother, and 2) the four kids who showed up randomly 3/4s of the way through the season were gonna get the other 4 Spirits and become some sort of B-Team who would either get cameos here and there or just never be mentioned again till the finale or something, whatever was cheaper to animate :v:

One of those happened, the other didn't, though I have no idea how true either rumour was, given that the only source of Frontier-era "inside info" was a proven liar.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

nine-gear crow posted:

The only "plans" I'd heard regarding the other five were: 1) there was a human inside Duskmon all along and he was somebody's brother, and 2) the four kids who showed up randomly 3/4s of the way through the season were gonna get the other 4 Spirits and become some sort of B-Team who would either get cameos here and there or just never be mentioned again till the finale or something, whatever was cheaper to animate :v:

One of those happened, the other didn't, though I have no idea how true either rumour was, given that the only source of Frontier-era "inside info" was a proven liar.

The proof for the second one is the four kids that appear alongside Angemon, they appear during the Royal Knights arc (so all the Dark Warriors are already defeated) and have very similar personalities to the Dark Warriors themselves (excluding Duskmon, of course). The series sells them as having gotten into the Digital World by mistake, but it's pretty obvious they were meant to complete the Ten Warriors. That said, if this means that at some point the series was going to have all 10 or if this was never a plan and this is just the writers telling us that it could've happened but it didn't (in-series, not out of it), it's hard to say.

Even if they did get the Spirits they'd lose their powers every fight for Takuya and Kouji anyways, so it wouldn't make a bit of a difference.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
It's almost certain that the Dark Warriors were supposed to all turn out to be kids from the crossing station, but for whatever reason they decided to opt out of that concept for everyone but Koichi. A lot of small hints leads up to it, and the entire purpose of having the 10 warriors barely makes sense when four of the spirits are somehow moving around without a host and being evil (anyone remember if this was ever explained?), just to be turned into nonentities for the sake of powering their later evolutions (which, thematically, should have been about the 10 reincarnations of the spirits finally joining together again of their own will).

If I had to hazard a guess, someone down the line of editing probably put their foot down at the idea of increasing the number of protagonists to 10; half of being a toyetic series is focusing on the characters whose' toys you want to sell afterall, and I don't think anyone particularly wanted to push Grumblemon as a mainline seller. If I wanted to speculate further, it's possible that there were a number of lastish minute rewrites that could explain why the last act is so barren of content, but that's probably just me trying to justify why Frontier ended up as such a trainwreck.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Classy Hydra posted:

It's almost certain that the Dark Warriors were supposed to all turn out to be kids from the crossing station, but for whatever reason they decided to opt out of that concept for everyone but Koichi. A lot of small hints leads up to it, and the entire purpose of having the 10 warriors barely makes sense when four of the spirits are somehow moving around without a host and being evil (anyone remember if this was ever explained?), just to be turned into nonentities for the sake of powering their later evolutions (which, thematically, should have been about the 10 reincarnations of the spirits finally joining together again of their own will).

The Spirits being evil and not having a human host is explained in the series, Ophanimon says that Cherubimon corrupted the five spirits he had to guard. Four of them were given to Digimon, and the last to a brainwashed Koichi. Digimon can use the Spirits, as Shamamon becoming Vritramon proves...which makes you wonder why the hell they needed humans. Maybe to draw out their full power or something? That sure as hell isn't explained.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Classy Hydra posted:

That's what I thought when I first watched the show. 5 kids for the good guys, 5 for the bad guys, snatched by Cherubimon the same way Ophanimon got the heroes. I was surprised when it turned out that 4 of them had no kids.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
12 hours until they stream the PV and airdate, finally.
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv217133120

If anyone has a japanese NicoNico account and uses a proxy like Hola then you can watch it live.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

12 hours until they stream the PV and airdate, finally.
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv217133120

If anyone has a japanese NicoNico account and uses a proxy like Hola then you can watch it live.

Exciting!! Thanks, I didn't know about this.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Some day I'll understand why the Japanese love throwing random English everywhere

Do they expect kids to be able to read that?

しかたがありません。新しいデジモンのための万歳!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Some day I'll understand why the Japanese love throwing random English everywhere

Do they expect kids to be able to read that?

しかたがありません。新しいデジモンのための万歳!

I like this because I can feel the japanese kid going piecing together the meaning of "and" and "other" because those are basic words they might've seen in school, then see "surprise" and give the gently caress up.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Its a good thing this isn't for kids, then.

Unless you think they're starting it at 10:45 PM for the kids.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
"Aw, who knows what them drat Jovians are thinking anyway?!"

I've given up on trying to make sense of Toei's actions

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Uh well tri isn't for kids because its targeted at people who were kids in 1999 when Digimon Adventure aired.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

aers posted:

Uh well tri isn't for kids because its targeted at people who were kids in 1999 when Digimon Adventure aired.

It's probably explicitly aimed at the 10-18 demographic, but it's implicit audience are in their mid-20s to early 30s now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So right now they're at the last two episodes of Adventure. Also the room seems to be full enough that regular members get kicked out in favor of Premium ones so the small hoops I jumped to get a working japanese NicoNico account were totally useless. :v: ah well, all the info will be online in one hour anyway.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

http://live.bilibili.com/10112

This restream works fine for me. You can't turn off the Nico comments though.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ok its 6 movies and the first one comes out in november.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Digimon Tri Trailer

Release date on the 21st of November.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You know I want to say this 6 episode plan of Toei's is them seeing where Crystal got them and they're trying to right the boat but gently caress if I trust them to.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 6, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
On the one hand, Royal Knights are pretty much done to death at this point.

On the other, Adventure Omegamon vs Alphamon could be pretty sweet.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I am prepared to have my hopes utterly destroyed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I saw more things there that kicked season 2 in the balls than I saw validating it!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm prepared for this to be Digimon's Pokemon Origins, except with way the gently caress more in-fighting. Hopefully no dumb Royal Knights stuff, just keep it at Alphamon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Burkion posted:

I saw more things there that kicked season 2 in the balls than I saw validating it!

like?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the only thing i really want is for them to show the megas for the other digimon...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The digimons look loving AWESOME but the kids themselves look kind of uninspired and generic.

Still, count me the gently caress in. Sucks that it will air until November though, they should've put it on august.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
6 movies! That's like 24 high quality episodes! :neckbeard:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mainly that Tai's got his goggles back and Matt can, at the least, go Mega...I think Matt lost that ability in season 2?

They made Omnimon after all.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN9xpqG1giY

The English trailer has the dialogue translated.

quote:

I encountered you.
This world has chosen the reality and the future which shouldn’t have been chosen.

That’s why I am here.

Dunno what to think about that.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
There better be a herculeskabuterimon in the movies or I'll blow up japam.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Yay 6 movies, that wont take like 20 years or anything.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
They got all the voice actors for the Digimon back, but the kids are all different.

November is way way longer than I was expecting.

I'm a lot less optimistic than I was before the trailer, but I'll still give them at least one movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That sure was a trailer.

I get the feeling the dialogue is supposed to refer to something that happens in tri, but I can't help but read it as "the second show was so bad it shouldn't have happened".