Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alabaster White posted:

Has there been any leak on what the VIP Early Access set will be this month?

It's the Ferris Wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Szymanski posted:

Death Star no longer listed on UK site, retired?

God drat I bought this literally last night. Did they run out of stock or literally just retire it after May 4th? Did I just make hella bux??

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I nabbed a Slave 1 but now wish I had grabbed the death star instead, if they do mean to retire it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly don't see the appeal of the Death Star. I just don't think the build looks very cool and the price is asinine. One of the only big Star Wars sets I don't really have any interest in.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I honestly don't see the appeal of the Death Star. I just don't think the build looks very cool and the price is asinine. One of the only big Star Wars sets I don't really have any interest in.

I'm in a similar boat, never cared for any of the Death Star Models. Similar feelings towards any of the "diorama" style sets. Can't swoosh a cantina.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ahh, fair enough. It's a shame that it looks to be mostly a Technic build, though, and is way too big for my already limited space.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Target and TRU (Washington state) both have Simpsons minifigures S2 in.

I felt up and got 16, confident I had a whole set...then discovered I somehow got 2 Marges and 2 Hibberts. Marge was because I just felt the 1x2 tile and assumed it was Moleman without checking the head, and Hibbert because he's got a 2x2 tile just like Homer and a very similarly shaped head (cylinder with a curved top). I neglected to check the head more carefully to find Hibbert's bumpy hair.

Too many drat skirts to put on. 5 of the characters have them. I've never really liked Lego skirts. They just don't work as well as the capes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, the minifigs came out last week around me. Target had three completely empty boxes yesterday.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I've been buying them for some time now. Only need Selma, Smithers, and comic book guy now, have an extra Lisa.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
The toughest feel is differentiating between homer and dr hibbert. Both have a 2x2 flat and roughly similar heads. Thankfully I'm not interested in either. Gotta get a moleman though!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Been working on this little spider mech dude. Pics are terrible but I really like how he's coming out.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Been working on this little spider mech dude. Pics are terrible but I really like how he's coming out.

drat that's cool. I really need to make a trip to Ikea so I can stash all the stuff I've already built and actually clear a table for a MOC workshop.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I just need an ikea that's not hundreds of miles away.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Last night I got to go through the wonderful experience of applying all the stickers to the Red 5. The technique described in the instruction booklet actually turned out to work really well, and even though there will always be some slight fogging due to the glue not being completely transparent I'm really happy with the final look. Though perhaps going the wet vinyl application route, where you slide on stickers over a wet surface and then squeeze out the excess water, would have remedied that? Does it even work with lego stickers?

This is my first UCS and I'm really enjoying it. I'm tempted to pick up the last remaining B-Wing at TRU. It would be terrible to have to live with the regret of missing out on that pretty cool model of a starfighter you don't really care much for.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Lego lowrider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRPIWUzAj7k

Making of with that sweet camera rig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_pKX6L1Jl4

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Electrophotonic posted:

This is my first UCS and I'm really enjoying it. I'm tempted to pick up the last remaining B-Wing at TRU. It would be terrible to have to live with the regret of missing out on that pretty cool model of a starfighter you don't really care much for.

That is the boat I am in.

I do hope they go back and UCS the Y Wing and A Wing. I'd like a TIE Interceptor but I don't know what the odds are that they would do another one.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Dogen posted:

I do hope they go back and UCS the Y Wing and A Wing. I'd like a TIE Interceptor but I don't know what the odds are that they would do another one.

A UCS snow speeder would prompt me to empty my bank account

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dogen posted:

They have done A UCS Y-Wing

anotherblownsave posted:

A UCS snow speeder would prompt me to empty my bank account

and Snow-Speeder but they're both ancient at this point, so who knows.

Speaking of doing another one - I hope they do some more Ties - they've only ever done one Tie Bomber and Interceptor both before they got more serious with accuracy.

E: Are there good sites to find recently retired sets without crazy markup? Or I am only really going to be able to find overprinted/sets people didn't like for msrp? There was a regular tie fighter from 2012 on amazon and it's going for more then the UCS Tie Fighter :v:

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 6, 2015

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Are there any good reasons to pick up the UCS TIE Fighter when I already have the 2012 regular one? It is a simple enough design to begin with that I don't really see enough of a difference (besides size, obviously) to justify the price tag. Is it a fun build at least?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NESguerilla posted:

I've said it before, but what I would have liked to see them do is sell the various rooms/scenes separately, and then have that you could actually connect the thing into one giant Death Star.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress UCS star wars. :v:

I want more mega detailed classic cars in the vein of the bus or mini. A proper remake of the beetle would be rad too.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My dream

http://mentalfloss.com/article/63626/basement-dedicated-extreme-lego-building

My reality

A spare room at my bestie's place

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Aw man that Y-Wing looks pretty decent! Although very similar to the more recent Y-Wing, which I do have.

fezball posted:

Are there any good reasons to pick up the UCS TIE Fighter when I already have the 2012 regular one? It is a simple enough design to begin with that I don't really see enough of a difference (besides size, obviously) to justify the price tag. Is it a fun build at least?

There are some cool techniques but repeating some of the poo poo for the wings 4x is kind of blah.

If you want a big fuckoff TIE that is more accurate and more spherical-looking in the cockpit area, then yes get it. Also I like the viewport on the back although it's sad it's plates on the inside so you can't see into the cockpit.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Oxyclean posted:

They have done A UCS Y-Wing

and Snow-Speeder but they're both ancient at this point, so who knows.

Speaking of doing another one - I hope they do some more Ties - they've only ever done one Tie Bomber and Interceptor both before they got more serious with accuracy.

E: Are there good sites to find recently retired sets without crazy markup? Or I am only really going to be able to find overprinted/sets people didn't like for msrp? There was a regular tie fighter from 2012 on amazon and it's going for more then the UCS Tie Fighter :v:

I'd be happy to trade you my regular tie fighter from 2012 for a UCS Tie Fighter. At that price, it's a bargain! :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd take that price with a grain of salt. Amazon is nothing but price gougers asking 4x the price for retired sets as far as I can tell.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I'd take that price with a grain of salt. Amazon is nothing but price gougers asking 4x the price for retired sets as far as I can tell.

No doubt - that's sort of what I was getting at. Amazon only seems to have gougers. I've found a few older sets for retail price on a local store's website, and as I mentioned a page or so ago managed to get a V-Wing and A-Wing for retail from walmart.ca - and was wondering if there was any other sites to look for with "old stock."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^^i dunno but I checked the wal mart site a few minutes after you posted that and there were no more a wings. You must have got the last one. I need one of those haha.

I decided to check the tie fighter price on eBay out of curiousity ,and ran into a dude selling a bunch of the new tie advanced for $20 bux shipped. I couldn't resist grabbing one. They are all missing 2 mini figs but come with the bagged ship and pilot.

Seller is called sunwestcollectables if anyone else wants one. Seemed like a really good deal despite the missing figs.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 6, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

^^^^i dunno but I checked the wal mart site a few minutes after you posted that and there were no more a wings. You must have got the last one. I need one of those haha.

I decided to check the tie fighter price on eBay out of curiousity ,and ran into a dude selling a bunch of the new tie advanced for $20 bux shipped. I couldn't resist grabbing one. They are all missing 2 mini figs but come with the bagged ship and pilot.

Seller is called sunwestcollectables if anyone else wants one. Seemed like a really good deal despite the missing figs.

Being a canadian, I got it from walmart.ca which should still have some. No idea if they ship to the states.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I was rummaging through my closet for something and I found a (I think) complete 8417 Mag Wheel Master. It's great when you find nostalgia lego.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Alabaster White posted:

Ahh, fair enough. It's a shame that it looks to be mostly a Technic build, though, and is way too big for my already limited space.

I'm assembling the display model for my store. I'm halfway done and so far there's very little Technic involved. Mostly just pins and a few technic bricks. The most technic-ish thing is the mechanism for lowering/retracting the boarding platforms and the crank which drives the wheel. I haven't built the wheel itself yet, but it appears that it will be driven via rubber tires turning it from one side of the support arms.

The thing's gonna be huge, though. I'm a little nervous about transporting it back to the store :ohdear:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone know what the part # is on the white pieces in this auction is or their official name by any chance? or alternately does anyone have 2 gray ones they would mail me for trade or a few bux? http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-LOT-of...=item2ee0a11664

Related...Have you ever just sperged out super hard on something you are building? Over the last 2 nights I think I have spent more time reinforcing and changing little details on that spider mech I posted than I did actually building it in the first place. It's as solid as any official lego set now though. I even dropped it off a table and it was unscathed. I think I'm actually gonna stick it on the ideas site once it's done and I can get some fancy pictures of it. Seems like statistically there's a real good chance that it would pan out after all :v:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I checked the entire Bionocle section on bricklink and it wasn't listed under that. Not under Joints either.

Edit: This it?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 7, 2015

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Does anyone know what the part # is on the white pieces in this auction is or their official name by any chance? or alternately does anyone have 2 gray ones they would mail me for trade or a few bux? http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-LOT-of...=item2ee0a11664

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47455

Technic Rotation Ball Joint Loop with Two Perpendicular Pins with Friction on Bricklink.

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/47455

Technic Pin with Friction with Click Rotation Pin on Peeron.

[Tip for finding parts that don't have reasonably sane names: Search for set you absolutely know has the part (for example, the EXT Alien Infiltrator, since the various Ninjago mechs and dragons all seemed to have plain ball hinges), scroll through its inventory until you find it]

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 7, 2015

dodob
May 20, 2004

Electrophotonic posted:

Though perhaps going the wet vinyl application route, where you slide on stickers over a wet surface and then squeeze out the excess water, would have remedied that? Does it even work with lego stickers?

Oh yes. It works really, really well. I've used the soapy water/windex trick on Palace Cinema, Sea Cow, and the Speed Champions, and so far so great. Some brands of windex (I guess window cleaning fluid is a more proper term) work better than others.

I'm curious, what is the Red Five manual's recommendation?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Cool. I have a friend who's a decal pro. Might get him to my Slave 1 stickers, I'm worried about loving up the cockpit

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I find the larger ones like the Slave I and Red 5 easier to do because you can get a good alignment more easily and it's easier to adjust than the little 2x1 stickers that are around the cockpit of the TIE. They are more harrowing, though. Also didn't Red 5 come with an extra canopy sticker?

Also in sticker related news my "tracor beam" correction sticker finally shipped out last night, here's hoping it's the right one.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
The Death Star is apparently retiring 'this year' according to staff in the Bluewater Lego store. Its disappearance from the website was just due to selling out during the sale.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The Death Star is apparently retiring 'this year' according to staff in the Bluewater Lego store. Its disappearance from the website was just due to selling out during the sale.

Its been going for 7-8 years now?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

NESguerilla posted:

drat that's a nice use of a tread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^Thanks!

Pyroclastic posted:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47455

Technic Rotation Ball Joint Loop with Two Perpendicular Pins with Friction on Bricklink.

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/47455

Technic Pin with Friction with Click Rotation Pin on Peeron.

[Tip for finding parts that don't have reasonably sane names: Search for set you absolutely know has the part (for example, the EXT Alien Infiltrator, since the various Ninjago mechs and dragons all seemed to have plain ball hinges), scroll through its inventory until you find it]

Cool thanks. I eventually dug them up by searching for technic stuff. I don't really know much about that or bionicle and figured it was a Bionicle part. It's bizarre how few of them there are in this collection considering how many of the parts that need them to attach to anything are in it. They even seem to be missing from most auctions with the other end of the joint.

Edit: I've never used brick link but it seems really cool. Do minimum purchases apply to that specific seller or the site in general? Like, I need to a $2 minimum to buy those things but can't find more than .37c worth. is there any way to just look at a list of the sellers other stuff and add some parts that look like I could use?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 7, 2015