Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Oh, I remembered enough to find one of the old modding drama stories. (from 2-ish years ago) GregTech nerfs some vanilla recipes, like reducing a log to making only 2 planks instead of 4. mDiyo didn't like that, so he added a recipe to Tinker's Construct to override it and restore logs to 4 planks. Then Greg added code to crash Minecraft if GregTech detected Tinker's Construct installed (with an "ItsNotMyFaultException") and to force-equip a pumpkin named Pumpkin of Shame to any player named mDiyo or immibis, and change their display name to "Wearing Pumpkin of Shame".

quote:

[INFO] [STDERR] The GregTech-Addon has a Problem.
[INFO] [STDERR] IT'S NOT MY FAULT!!! Below is how to fix it.
[INFO] [STDERR] Another Mod (very likely Tinkers Contruct) decided to ACTIVELY break a fully configurable Feature of GregTech. Please report this to said Mod Author (very likely mDiyo) and not to me, as I can't do anything against that misbehavior. If the detection of breaking my Features, results in incompatibility between said Mod and GregTech, then I don't care.
[INFO] [STDERR] DO NOT COME TO ME WITH THIS CRASH. YOU CAUSED IT YOURSELF, AND I TOLD YOU HOW TO FIX IT!!!
[SEVERE] [Minecraft-Server] Encountered an unexpected exception GT_ItsNotMyFaultException

Nathilus posted:

Is there any way to stop the game or any of the launchers from putting gigs of garbage on the system drive? If there's some .cfg I can edit that will make .minecraft and all of its poo poo go to D:/ or wherever, that would be really awesome. With all the garbage that gets written to C:/ by games and other apps I'm going to have to eventually partition a drive with more than 100 gigs as the system partition but I'll be damned if I do it for loving minecraft.

You can point some launchers (at least Technic Launcher) to wherever you want your modpacks to be stored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
See there's a certain point where no matter how good a person's mod is, when they're straight up putting malware in it's time for the community to let them go.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is BetterThanWolves still a thing? I haven't been paying attention for a long time, but the very name of that mod is some passive aggressive drama bullshit.

Also wasn't there something about his not allowing his mod in modpacks? Which is a shame, as it had some actually cool stuff, on top of a lot of ways to torture and kill dogs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
He rewrote his mod so that it conflicts with forge in as many things as possible, after he dropped it.

I think there was a "better than forge" project, which would port the couple cool things his mod had to forge, but I think there's better alternatives out there for everything neat he actually did so

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Gilok posted:

Is BetterThanWolves still a thing? I haven't been paying attention for a long time, but the very name of that mod is some passive aggressive drama bullshit.

Also wasn't there something about his not allowing his mod in modpacks? Which is a shame, as it had some actually cool stuff, on top of a lot of ways to torture and kill dogs.

The author embodied that old cliche of a brittle-narcissistic shut-in obese sperglord, and possible obesity aside these people don't get out much, so they are unlikely to contract TB or flu, much less HIV, so I regretfully suspect he's still alive. (Also, takes one to know one blah blah etc.) You're right though, his mod did have a lot of decent stuff. You can't hate these people in the Minecraft mod drama, even the worst of them, it's just so stupid and trivial, it's still worth talking about just because it's so funny.

Anyway, I might be on the verge of introducing a new real life person into the horror joy that is multiplayer modded Minecraft. Should I work him through the Agskies modpack, let him join me in my base in the goon server I'm on and have him take a bunch of gear and go hog wild, or just dump him in the deep end?

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
FlowerChild, the manbaby behind BTW, has moved on to explaining to the entire community of KSP that they are playing the game wrong and they do not know how to have fun. He then kindly made a mod and explained to the game devs that they do not know how to make a fun game and what a great favor he was doing them.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

wylker posted:

FlowerChild, the manbaby behind BTW, has moved on to explaining to the entire community of KSP that they are playing the game wrong and they do not know how to have fun. He then kindly made a mod and explained to the game devs that they do not know how to make a fun game and what a great favor he was doing them.

So, just like how he did with Minecraft? :v:

Skyrim mods have the best the drama, but minecraft mods have the most drama. It really is a never ending fountain of sad laughs.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

deadly_pudding posted:

So, just like how he did with Minecraft? :v:

Skyrim mods have the best the drama, but minecraft mods have the most drama. It really is a never ending fountain of sad laughs.

I dunno, I'd say that Minecraft mod drama has more people on the spectrum. And Skyrim mod drama has more people who fulfill the DSM-V definition of being sociopaths. But that's just an impression. And there's gotta be a lot of overlap.

Anyway, if I was to somehow make ten million RF/t from some currently-theoretical Atomic Power Complex I have planned, are there any mods that can use such a level of power?

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 6, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Rotarycraft features machines that will progressively get faster, for an exponential curve of energy required, so there's always some gain to be had for building dumb amounts of power gen.

That said rotarycraft used to be useable if a bit spergy, but is now a pile of garbage due to the "progression" (read: grind) forced by the mod author, so I'd recommend against that. Instead, I wish more mods would adopt the "put 100x the amount of electricity this machine requires, and we'll give it 10x speed" mechanic. Especially the MFR bedrock mining laser drill thing.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

All of them. At once.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Truga posted:

Rotarycraft features machines that will progressively get faster, for an exponential curve of energy required, so there's always some gain to be had for building dumb amounts of power gen.

That said rotarycraft used to be useable if a bit spergy, but is now a pile of garbage due to the "progression" (read: grind) forced by the mod author, so I'd recommend against that. Instead, I wish more mods would adopt the "put 100x the amount of electricity this machine requires, and we'll give it 10x speed" mechanic. Especially the MFR bedrock mining laser drill thing.

Thermal Expansion has augments that are great in the whole area of X* power Y* speed area. The +secondary augment for pulverizers are great but I will always love the bedrock laser drill though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah TE is pretty good at that, you can eventually get up to something like 10x speed 20x power consumption on most machines, and you can dump extra power into powering warp itemducts so there isn't even any travel time between machines. I won't do it because I like seeing my items whiz around in the ducts too much, but it's there.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

IronClaymore posted:

Thermal Expansion has augments that are great in the whole area of X* power Y* speed area. The +secondary augment for pulverizers are great but I will always love the bedrock laser drill though.

Even then there's an upper limit that Big Reactors and some of the more insane power builds wouldn't even flicker at. At some point you'd need a machine that will draw all available power to do...something. IndustrialCraft did it with UU-matter, AE2 has their spatial pylons, MFR with the laser drills, RFTools and creating dimensions.

I'd like to see something that would take x number of chunks and "parallel universe" them, regenerating them according to some rules you set up. Use it to strip mine in one spot over and over again! Bring in The End, The Nether or some other dimensions. Create lakes of sewage where none existed. Deliberately delve into the forbidden rules and call up a portal to a vast tentacle monstrosity/unthinkable alien of choice.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Truga posted:

He rewrote his mod so that it conflicts with forge in as many things as possible, after he dropped it.

If memory serves me correctly (SOMEONE CORRECT ME BECAUSE I'M PROBABLY WRONG), it was one of flowerchild's followers that made that fancy amazing wrapper that lets forge handle mods that normally wouldn't work with forge and handles a bunch of compatibility issues. Flowerchild called the guy a creativity rapist among other stuff and shut it down and it disappeared.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Today I learned breaking a grave in creative mode deletes everything in it!

In other news, does anyone have a suggestion for a good HQM map where I won't ragequit when I do that?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So, I didn't see it in the OP, but how about a write up of the different goon servers?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Carados posted:

Today I learned breaking a grave in creative mode deletes everything in it!

In other news, does anyone have a suggestion for a good HQM map where I won't ragequit when I do that?

Yeah... creative mode just deletes blocks when you "break" them, most of the time. Just cheat all your stuff back imo.

Pathfinder is the only HQM modpack I know of where your inventory isn't important. It's a Peaceful modpack to boot. The quests are kindof... shallow, though.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I regret nothing!

I guess since we're early in the new thread, I should plug Baby's First Space Race. The pack aims to lead a novice through the basics of technology mods using a quest book. The resources have been comically overinflated. An expert player should be able to go from nothing to the moon in an evening if they rush it. I've discovered there are a lot of people out there that just hate a lot of the resource grind and are playing it for shits even though they already know about everything. I'm honored and terrified.

Wait is this pretty much a more modern Big Dig? If so thanks so much for the recommendation! I loving loved Big Dig and every other way of playing Minecraft feels like a slog in comparison.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

Oh, I remembered enough to find one of the old modding drama stories. (from 2-ish years ago) GregTech nerfs some vanilla recipes, like reducing a log to making only 2 planks instead of 4. mDiyo didn't like that, so he added a recipe to Tinker's Construct to override it and restore logs to 4 planks. Then Greg added code to crash Minecraft if GregTech detected Tinker's Construct installed (with an "ItsNotMyFaultException") and to force-equip a pumpkin named Pumpkin of Shame to any player named mDiyo or immibis, and change their display name to "Wearing Pumpkin of Shame".

You can point some launchers (at least Technic Launcher) to wherever you want your modpacks to be stored.

That's also when his mod was dropped from any official ftb mod packs and a lot of popular streamers stopped using his mod. Along with him making it more and more tedious.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

That's also when his mod was dropped from any official ftb mod packs and a lot of popular streamers stopped using his mod. Along with him making it more and more tedious.

It's in FTB Resurrection. I played it. It's super pointless now, very few of the machines are worth building and those that are take ages and ages to get to.

Oh, you guys want more FTB/Curse drama? Apparently any of the "listed" modpacks on FTB are no longer supported for any version that isn't on Curse. Ask for help on the forum about an old version and you're likely just going to be told to download the Curse client.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 7, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Datasmurf posted:

So, I didn't see it in the OP, but how about a write up of the different goon servers?

There's a reason why there's the PGS to trawl through. I think only Modderation has something going for now.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

The thing that put me off Gregtech was the requirement to make hammer and screwdriver to make an iron pick.... so you finally find your 3 iron ore and then discover you need another 10 ingots just to make that iron pick,

Thanks, bye...( Heads to grind Galacticraft because it may be slow but not the horror of Gregtech...)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

UglyDucklett posted:

Wait is this pretty much a more modern Big Dig? If so thanks so much for the recommendation! I loving loved Big Dig and every other way of playing Minecraft feels like a slog in comparison.

OMP-i has big dig style ores everywhere stuff going on too.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

CuddlyZombie posted:

Also, how is Project: Red? I saw that RedPower is in the OP, but if that's no longer being updated, then why is that?

Project: Red is RedPower w/o the blutricity, computers, and useless machinery. It keeps the red alloy cables, bundled cables, microblocks, lighting blocks, and logic gates. There may be something I'm forgetting, though. Project: Red is good, I use it often for controlling multiple machines or complex systems from a few ComputerCraft computers.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Are the Project: Red microblocks notably different than Forge microblocks?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

nightwisher posted:

Glad to see minecraft still hoards almost all of the insanely crazy hyperautist modders for itself, sparing most of the rest of the gaming community their toddler-like conniption fits.

It's like an inception of sperg. Notch is spergy, writes a spergy game for spergs. Spergy game attracts other spergs, who sperg out over it. Spergs write spergy mods to amplify the sperg to hypersperg levels. Other spergy modders being to compete and the modsperg wars broke out. Many copyrights were killed, the code-blood of many a mod harvested by vampiric modpackers. Soon, the survivors will merge together into the human spergipede and mod horse dicks on everything in reality ITSELF. The rest of humanity points and laughs.

Notch wrote a very simple game in java based on an earlier game by a friend of his. Spergs then made his game interesting while Microsoft decided to give him 2 billion dollars. For a java game.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'm not sure to be honest. I don't know much if anything about forge microblocks. I presume they're the same because Project: Red requires Forge.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

UglyDucklett posted:

I have no idea, honestly. Somebody else that played it made the comparison when it came to oregen, but I couldn't tell you about anything else.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think pocket dimension mods (Mystcraft, RFTools, and so on), despite the problems they can cause for servers, are probably my favorite thing. It lets you have a kind of modest or strictly aesthetic base in the server's main world/prime plane, and then have your huge factory/magical laboratory/hideous stripmine whatever in a different universe, accessible by a convenient and possibly attractive portal.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Neurion posted:

Project: Red is RedPower w/o the blutricity, computers, and useless machinery. It keeps the red alloy cables, bundled cables, microblocks, lighting blocks, and logic gates. There may be something I'm forgetting, though. Project: Red is good, I use it often for controlling multiple machines or complex systems from a few ComputerCraft computers.

There is also Blue Power, which I prefer actually. It seems more polished although a few things like the wireless redstone are still WIP. I never played RedPower but Blue Power has 3 types of wire, analog, digital and lossless digital. I have no idea what the difference between analog and digital actually is in terms of redstone signal but there it is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

I think pocket dimension mods (Mystcraft, RFTools, and so on), despite the problems they can cause for servers, are probably my favorite thing. It lets you have a kind of modest or strictly aesthetic base in the server's main world/prime plane, and then have your huge factory/magical laboratory/hideous stripmine whatever in a different universe, accessible by a convenient and possibly attractive portal.

Minecraft worlds are infinite, couldn't you get the same effect by simply building your strip mine really far away from everyone? Connect them up with a Nether railroad.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Rutibex posted:

Minecraft worlds are infinite, couldn't you get the same effect by simply building your strip mine really far away from everyone? Connect them up with a Nether railroad.

With Rftools and Mystcraft you can build a world how you want it, so if you want to make a world with lots of ore to quarry or a ocean of cryotheum you can do that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone always asks for it, so I guess it's my turn.

Everything and the kitchen sink mod?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

I've been playing http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/omp-i.598014 or if you want something a bit more huge, http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/project-omnius-pack.631908 (be aware that it updates a LOT and is not shy about removing and re-adding mods constantly).

I feel like they both are missing some surprising things, and they have an oddly large list of things the other doesn't though!

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 7, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Resonant Rise 3.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Here's a gif

edit: bonus gif

Syenite fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 7, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I recommend the omps very hghly
Not only do they have a lot of mods, but there's thought put into their selection. Plus it they actually have interesting world structures and dungeon loot, a rarity.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright I went with goon fave OMP-i. Now I just need to find a cheap server host.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/project-omnius-pack.631908 (be aware that it updates a LOT and is not shy about removing and re-adding mods constantly).

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Yeah looking through the modlist... not only does it have IC2, Forestry, Buildcraft, AND railcraft, it has at least THREE mods for terrain generation!!!!

There ARE some interesting mods in there I have not seen elsewhere:
Catwalks: Build a walkway/ladder that has a gaurdrail but still is only one block.
Modular Turrets for TE
Inventory pets: Instead of a pet with a bad ai and that follows you in the overworld you and ineveitably dies due to bad collision detection, you.... keep a pet in your inventory????

????????????????

but you also have this poo poo coming for you on the overworld