Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Demiurge4 posted:

:golfclap:

I started a new game with rollbacks and quicksaves disabled. Jeb died :smith:

Plant a flag with his name on it at the space center, despair as the space center becomes crowded with flags over the coming weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Maxmaps posted:

I am printing and framing that post, Otacon.

:blush:

Congrats on the Washington Post review!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

haveblue posted:

Plant a flag with his name on it at the space center, despair as the space center becomes crowded with flags over the coming weeks.

It actually came as a surprise. I had just launched a rocket straight up with four atmospheric sensors to harvest quick science off them and during descent the pod must have veered slightly to the side because the parachute got destroyed in re-entry. Bye Jeb. I didn't even go over 94km, but maybe I shouldn't have gone straight up.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

toplitzin posted:

Has anyone else noticed when using MechJeb for a Mun transfer, it wigs the gently caress out when you get to approach after the hoffman transfer? The Mun unsets itself as a target and won't accept being set so you cant use the "match velocity" or "get closer" and even manually making maneuver nodes is tricksy/not guaranteed to work with maneuver planner.

Once you get close your "orbit" is a slingshot directly into the surface unless you do at least two burns. (one normal/anti to shove the orbit to outside of the Mun, and then one retrograde to actually capture at the newly created apoapsis)

This was with both .90 and 1.0.2

Nope, it works just fine for me but it sounds like you're using the rendezvous planner to do this right? You want to just be using the maneuver planner: select Hohmann transfer, tweak it a touch lower so it has a Pe above the surface to the east of the Mun then execute. You can use 'fine tune closest approach' if it's still not to your liking. The Mun will not be selectable as a target once you are in it's SoI, make all your course adjustments in Kerbins SoI where it's cheaper.

Otacon posted:

How would you even do this, aside from scripting? That seems like a pretty long stretch of something to be annoyed about. I've seen a Scott Manley video where he tested (I think SmartParts?) that included a remote-control flight where he launched 3 jets welded together with cubic frames from off of the runway, separated the welded parts immediately after take-off, and the two "ghost" jets responded to his controls and did a pseudo-flying-in-formation sorta thing. I've also seen a recent video of the Dark Multiplayer that might be what you're looking for, too.

Still, this question makes me imagine the constant goalpost moving that Squad has had to put up with for years now.

:jeb: HEY EVERYBODY, WE MADE A GAME WHERE YOU CAN BUILD AND LAUNCH YOUR OWN ROCKET TO A MOON!
:smith: thats cool but what can i even do when i get there?
:jeb: HEY EVERYBODY, WE ADDED ROVER WHEELS AND PARTS TO THE GAME SO YOU CAN BUILD AND DRIVE YOUR OWN ROVERS AROUND ON MOONS!
:smith: rovers are slow and pointless, are there airplanes?
:jeb: HEY EVERYBODY, WE ADDED AERODYNAMICS AND NOW IT IS POSSIBLE TO BUILD AND FLY AIRCRAFT ON PLANETS, AND EVEN IN SPACE!
:smith: but why can't i fly two planes at once?

A near perfect summary of what, 75% of the last few dozen pages? ;)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ratzap posted:

Nope, it works just fine for me but it sounds like you're using the rendezvous planner to do this right? You want to just be using the maneuver planner: select Hohmann transfer, tweak it a touch lower so it has a Pe above the surface to the east of the Mun then execute. You can use 'fine tune closest approach' if it's still not to your liking. The Mun will not be selectable as a target once you are in it's SoI, make all your course adjustments in Kerbins SoI where it's cheaper.

Either the planner or the full on automated rendezvous autopilot. It craps out as soon as it hits the Mun SoI.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Demiurge4 posted:

:golfclap:

I started a new game with rollbacks and quicksaves disabled. Jeb died :smith:

All kerbals die. Not every kerbal truly lives.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

revdrkevind posted:

To be fair, are you doing this in other games?

And do those games have anything like real aero physics?

The last time I did a mid-flight refuel in a game was NES. Maybe if someone could mod a tanker that would follow a scripted path so you just need to line up in the right spot to get fuel? Shrug.

Yeah, I've been doing this for a while in flight sims. It's not that uncommon a feature.

You can get a tanker to fly in a straight line just by using SAS. The vehicle switching is just a mild annoyance really, caused by what I'm assuming is a safeguard put in to prevent you from switching vehicles whilst they're in atmosphere. The ghetto solution I've applied is launching the smaller plane using the launch pad, and the tanker on the runway. The smaller plane goes backwards, towards the VAB, and uses the ramps to gain altitude.

I switch to the smaller plane after taking off using the tanker and flying immediately above the smaller plane. To actually correct either plane's course, I need to get both planes into formation with 300m of eachother. Of course, this completely makes the whole thing pointless. Which is why I put a third plane on the island with the runway. The :jeb: way of working around issues.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Otacon posted:

Still, this question makes me imagine the constant goalpost moving that Squad has had to put up with for years now.

:jeb: HEY EVERYBODY, WE MADE A GAME WHERE YOU CAN BUILD AND LAUNCH YOUR OWN ROCKET TO A MOON!
:smith: thats cool but what can i even do when i get there?
:jeb: HEY EVERYBODY, WE ADDED ROVER WHEELS AND PARTS TO THE GAME SO YOU CAN BUILD AND DRIVE YOUR OWN ROVERS AROUND ON MOONS!
:smith: rovers are slow and pointless, are there airplanes?
:jeb: HEY EVERYBODY, WE ADDED AERODYNAMICS AND NOW IT IS POSSIBLE TO BUILD AND FLY AIRCRAFT ON PLANETS, AND EVEN IN SPACE!
:smith: but why can't i fly two planes at once?
this is too perfect

:smith: aerodynamics are soupy and unrealistic
:jeb: NEW AERO BABY
:smith: new aerodynamics are too haaaaaard

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, how do the cool people plot intercepts? Once I'm in a stable orbit with one body, I basically just find the other body and drag the pro/retro markers on a maneuver node in that orbit until they're roughly intersecting the body I'm trying to fly to, then I drag that node around my orbit until it freaks out and switches from oval to arc, at which point I check if I'm interacting with the target's gravity.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Either the planner or the full on automated rendezvous autopilot. It craps out as soon as it hits the Mun SoI.

Once you're in the SOI of a body you can't select it as a target. If you want to approach closer at that point you would use 'Adjust Periapsis'. And then to enter orbit you would plot a circularization burn at periapsis.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

darnon posted:

Once you're in the SOI of a body you can't select it as a target. If you want to approach closer at that point you would use 'Adjust Periapsis'.

problem is Once I enter the SOI, the orbit looks like this:

So I have to plan a maneuver node somewhere around the X before I bomb the Mun with my Kerbals.

Do I need to be disabling the auto-pilot and make a new maneuver node just before I enter Mun SoI?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, I've been doing this for a while in flight sims. It's not that uncommon a feature.

Here's three videos, queued up to the correct times, that you should watch for ideas.

Scott Manley's Low Tech Automation with Smart Parts

ArchaicAlibi's v23.5 Floating Catamaran Ultralight Carrier

Mazack00 reviews Dark Multiplayer Mod

Second video is very impressive for other reasons, but may give you ideas. Cheers.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 6, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

toplitzin posted:

Do I need to be disabling the auto-pilot and make a new maneuver node just before I enter Mun SoI?

The further back you do it the less dv it will cost. You can do it right after the transmunar injection burn finishes if you want.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, how do the cool people plot intercepts? Once I'm in a stable orbit with one body, I basically just find the other body and drag the pro/retro markers on a maneuver node in that orbit until they're roughly intersecting the body I'm trying to fly to, then I drag that node around my orbit until it freaks out and switches from oval to arc, at which point I check if I'm interacting with the target's gravity.

I'm not cool but if my orbit's inclination matches the target's, that's what I do.

If the inclinations don't match, I make a maneuver node to intercept its orbit at one of the nodes, then press the "next time around orbit" button until there's a near approach. Then I fine tune the maneuver node to actually get an intercept.

toplitzin posted:

So I have to plan a maneuver node somewhere around the X before I bomb the Mun with my Kerbals.

It's most fuel efficient to do your fine adjustments really early (like right after your intercept burn) but making a maneuver node after you've entered the Mun SoI is fine will only waste a little. To fix this orbit you'd want to burn radially (or anti-radially, depending on which way the moon is spinning).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Speaking of orbital manouvers, is there a good tutorial somewhere on how to set up a free-return trajectory? Last time I tried it took me 500m/s to bring my periapsis back into Kerbin's atmosphere from the Mun.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So did 1.0 do away with pea soup for a few days? I never got to play it, was it beautiful?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

esquilax posted:

I'm not cool but if my orbit's inclination matches the target's, that's what I do.

If the inclinations don't match, I make a maneuver node to intercept its orbit at one of the nodes, then press the "next time around orbit" button until there's a near approach. Then I fine tune the maneuver node to actually get an intercept.

It's most fuel efficient to do your fine adjustments really early (like right after your intercept burn) but making a maneuver node after you've entered the Mun SoI is fine will only waste a little. To fix this orbit you'd want to burn radially (or anti-radially, depending on which way the moon is spinning).

How do i get it to show me the predicted orbit inside the SoI? Usually when doing any maneuver nodes for intercept the pathing stops once I'm inside the approach window, and won't change until you enter the SoI, or am I dumb and missing something obvious?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

toplitzin posted:

How do i get it to show me the predicted orbit inside the SoI? Usually when doing any maneuver nodes for intercept the pathing stops once I'm inside the approach window, and won't change until you enter the SoI, or am I dumb and missing something obvious?

It is not obvious at all, but once you have your encounter setup click on the target planet/moon and press the focus button. At this point it will center you on the planet and show your expected path. You can then tweak your maneuver node and watch how it effects your PE and inclination.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

maniacdevnull posted:

All kerbals die. Not every kerbal truly lives.

Get busy flyin' or get busy dyin'

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

esquilax posted:

burn radially (or anti-radially, depending on which way the moon is spinning).

It would always be radially. The spin of the moon has nothing to do with it. Those markers on the nav ball are determined by the orbit alone.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Thesoro posted:

this is too perfect

:smith: aerodynamics are soupy and unrealistic
:jeb: NEW AERO BABY
:smith: new aerodynamics are too haaaaaard

I'm with you, but too many times I've seen people on these forums assume that all complainers are the same group and marvel at their contradictory complaints. Can we acknowledge that, yes, every change is going to have a unique and mostly separate group of detractors and move on, please?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

eth0.n posted:

It would always be radially. The spin of the moon has nothing to do with it. Those markers on the nav ball are determined by the orbit alone.

If you're intercepting the wrong (inefficient for landing) side, burning antiradially moves your orbit into the right direction. After you burn enough to pass the center, radial/antiradial switch directions and you should continue in the same direction (which was antiradial, and is now radial). In terms of a given maneuver, this is described as a large burn antiradially.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

esquilax posted:

If you're intercepting the wrong (inefficient for landing) side, burning antiradially moves your orbit into the right direction. After you burn enough to pass the center, radial/antiradial switch directions and you should continue in the same direction (which was antiradial, and is now radial). In terms of a given maneuver, this is described as a large burn antiradially.

OK, that makes sense. Although for the Mun, the difference is only 18 m/s landing from a retrograde orbit vs prograde. There's a decent chance flipping orbit direction isn't worthwhile.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Caught this thing trying to collide uselessly with Kerbin. Guess I'll take it to my Mun station?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

toplitzin posted:

Assuming that's a top-down view:

You want to either go more to the left to just avoid crashing into it, or to the right to make it a 'normal' counter-clockwise orbit. For going left, turn your navball thingie towards 270 degrees, or 90 degrees for going right.

It's really easy to do those adjustments using just the navball, you don't need maneuver nodes. Doing them right after you entered the SOI is probably the easiest, you get immediate feedback and it doesn't take a lot of energy because you're still pretty far out.

(Edit: you can also point at 0 degrees for going more 'up' and 180 degrees for going 'down'. Useful for getting the eccentricity down and for getting in the same plane as something else in the ascending and descending nodes.)

uXs fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 6, 2015

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I had to put my super sexy lander into a fairing because being a lifting body made it want to tip over.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

eth0.n posted:

OK, that makes sense. Although for the Mun, the difference is only 18 m/s landing from a retrograde orbit vs prograde. There's a decent chance flipping orbit direction isn't worthwhile.

It's not a lot, but it's a good habit to get into.

Also, it's my understanding that your burn to get into orbit is easier if you pass behind the planet (gravity speeds you up along Mun's orbit) versus passing in front of the planet (gravity slows you down along Mun's orbit). I'm not sure how to quantify that amount though or if it's actually correct for one body.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 6, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It really annoys me that you cannot take off two planes at once. For example, a refuelling aircraft flies out for roughly an hour and then you try to launch a smaller plane to go somewhere else. But I guess that can be solved via launching the refuelling plane from orbit. But then you'll have to be close enough to switch, inserting another layer of artificial difficulty. KSP is great for space, not so much for in-atmosphere shenanigans.
Well it's not called Kerbal Air Program :colbert:

e: soundly beaten

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 6, 2015

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
With their high crash tolerance, is there any reason NOT to use modular girders as landing struts?

Also, will sticking the flat parachute types on the sides of a lander still allow you to land upright? (IE, if the lander is an upright cylinder with a pod on the top that has a 'chute, and I stick some of the flat chutes on the sides, will it still land right-side up?)

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Peas and Rice posted:

With their high crash tolerance, is there any reason NOT to use modular girders as landing struts?

Also, will sticking the flat parachute types on the sides of a lander still allow you to land upright? (IE, if the lander is an upright cylinder with a pod on the top that has a 'chute, and I stick some of the flat chutes on the sides, will it still land right-side up?)
Girders can't fold up without Infernal Robotics, and then not as neatly.

And the second depends entirely on whether the CoM is above or below the pivot point where the parachutes connect.

Also, for the guy having trouble with Mun intercepts, you can use MechJeb's manoeuvre planner for a hohmann transfer, but then tweak it manually before you execute so that you can have your periapsis about where you want it, on either side of the Mun, in one burn.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

esquilax posted:

Also, it's my understanding that your burn to get into orbit is easier if you pass behind the planet (gravity speeds you up along Mun's orbit) versus passing in front of the planet (gravity slows you down along Mun's orbit). I'm not sure how to quantify that amount though or if it's actually correct for one body.

That might be true for real-world n-body physics (I'm not sure either way), but for KSP's patched conics physics, this can't be true. The physics within a given SOI are unaffected by that SOI's movement relative to anything outside it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Can someone explain how the mobile processing lab works now? Also where are fairings? I've got like 80% of the tech tree and haven't seen them yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Can someone explain how the mobile processing lab works now? Also where are fairings? I've got like 80% of the tech tree and haven't seen them yet.

They're in there somewhere, I think they show up in the Aerospace section. I've only just broken through the 300 science barrier and I have the 1m and 2.5m variants already.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Peas and Rice posted:

They're heavier, draggier, and (subjectively) uglier than landing legs.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

haveblue posted:

They're in there somewhere, I think they show up in the Aerospace section. I've only just broken through the 300 science barrier and I have the 1m and 2.5m variants already.

Ah that makes sense, I've basically ignored any nodes that are spaceplane type stuff. Cheers!

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

When you have Science part results in a vessel with an MPL, you get an additional option to process the results for Data. More valuable results give more Data. You keep the original results, and a given lab can only process a single result type for a given biome/location once. That Data goes into the MPL, and if you have a Scientist with at least one star, you can conduct research on it, slowly turning it into Science. The MPL can store up to 500 Data for processing, and you research faster the more Data you have. It can also store up to 500 Science before needing to transmit it, using an antenna.

Conversion ratios seem to depend on where the MPL is, and whether it's landed, in a low orbit, or a high orbit, but I can't give details here. I do know that an MPL on Minmus can give pretty enormous amounts of Science (at least a few thousand per biome).

Fairings are with the plane parts, along the middle of the tree. Which makes sense thematically, but is kind of silly gameplay-wise. Means you can't practically choose to focus on rockets instead of planes.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

eth0.n posted:

That might be true for real-world n-body physics (I'm not sure either way), but for KSP's patched conics physics, this can't be true. The physics within a given SOI are unaffected by that SOI's movement relative to anything outside it.
It actually is true, though, that's why doing a flyby of the Mun in front of it will put you in a free-return trajectory and doing a flyby behind it will often eject you into interplanetary space, is because flying in front of or behind it affects your velocity in different ways even in a 2-body system like KSP.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

There's a decent write up on Reddit.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It actually is true, though, that's why doing a flyby of the Mun in front of it will put you in a free-return trajectory and doing a flyby behind it will often eject you into interplanetary space, is because flying in front of or behind it affects your velocity in different ways even in a 2-body system like KSP.

It can affect your velocity relative to Kerbin, and that's what you observe here, but if you want to orbit the Mun, it's velocity relative to the Mun that counts. At a given periapsis and speed-at-periapsis, the dV to enter orbit around the Mun is exactly the same whether you're moving prograde or retrograde relative to the Mun's orbit around Kerbin, because while you're in the SOI, that motion has no bearing on physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Also, for the guy having trouble with Mun intercepts, you can use MechJeb's manoeuvre planner for a hohmann transfer, but then tweak it manually before you execute so that you can have your periapsis about where you want it, on either side of the Mun, in one burn.

PreciseNode is great for this, too.