Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BlitzBlast posted:

That sure was a trailer.

I get the feeling the dialogue is supposed to refer to something that happens in tri, but I can't help but read it as "the second show was so bad it shouldn't have happened".

I would unironically support this plot.

WE HAVE BEEN CALLED TO ABORT SEASON 2 AND ITS DUMB PLOT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So it being a TV show was not true, it starting in Spring was not true, they changed every human VA...

Can you handle this worse, Toei? I thought the nade-nade was bad enough, but holy poo poo this is terrible.

Beyond that, it looks really really good. That Alphamon vs Omegamon, and even moreso Greymon vs Kuwagamon looked insane. The cryptic as gently caress lines make me interested in the plot, but it being six OVAs makes me fear we'll be seeing the last by 2021. I can't say I'm hyped, how badly Toei has handled everything has killed my hopes for this series. Hopefully it will be better than I expect.

Also there's a new nade-nade, because of loving course there is one.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The human VA change make sense since everyone is an adult now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah, changing the VAs makes sense. That trailer still saps my enthusiasm though. They are continuing to dribble out tiny little details, and we haven't learned much of anything we didn't know before.

Do we know who is directing? I'm guessing not Hosoda :(

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Movies, eh? That's a bit disappointing.

Designs look fine, though I'd really like to see actual movement animations of the humans. The digimon, predicably, look great.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The cryptic as gently caress lines make me interested in the plot, but it being six OVAs makes me fear we'll be seeing the last by 2021.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is going to be like Code Geass's OVA's where we get one (1.2) a year, and it'll end on the 20th anniversery of the series.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Burkion posted:

I would unironically support this plot.

WE HAVE BEEN CALLED TO ABORT SEASON 2 AND ITS DUMB PLOT!

Let's step that up by making Alphamon the real Xveemon's Mega/Stingmon's Mega Jogress.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I assume this restructuring is because they spent all their budget animating goggles.

Of course that's a joke, but I'm sort of amused at how they seemed to call out the crowd that were unhappy about the lack of goggles in the concept art. "There, you assholes happy now!?"

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Nyaa posted:

The human VA change make sense since everyone is an adult now.
Literally all the voice actors were adults when they started adventure. I'm so bummed they dropped Mimi's voice actor... I thought she was a Digimon staple. She always sings the closings. :sigh:

BUT. Who is this?

Is she the villian? I am totally down for a lady villian. She doesn't go to the same school as they do.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

So it being a TV show was not true, it stThe cryptic as gently caress lines make me interested in the plot, but it being six OVAs makes me fear we'll be seeing the last by 2021. I can't say I'm hyped, how badly Toei has handled everything has killed my hopes for this series.

I was gonna say "watch them pull an Anno and take 10 years to finish a series of films that were supposed to come out months apart."

Let the great Digimon Tri Disaster Watch officially commence!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Fangz posted:

Yeah, changing the VAs makes sense. That trailer still saps my enthusiasm though. They are continuing to dribble out tiny little details, and we haven't learned much of anything we didn't know before.

Do we know who is directing? I'm guessing not Hosoda :(

Keitaro Motonaga on direction. Yuko Kakihara and Atsuya Uki are script supervisor and character designer respectably.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

vivisecting posted:

Literally all the voice actors were adults when they started adventure. I'm so bummed they dropped Mimi's voice actor... I thought she was a Digimon staple. She always sings the closings. :sigh:

The worst thing is that she still does. The ending is confirmed by the same trailer to be I Wish (meaning the original opening, ending and battle song are back), yet she's not voicing Mimi because...reasons?

Like the only understandable replacements are Taichi and Koushirou because women should not be voicing 17 and 16 year old men, respectively, but the rest are really weird. I guess Takeru is acceptable too because he can't keep a VA for two different things, that'd be crazy (he's had different VAs for Adventure, 02, the PSP game and now tri). Masami Kikuchi is especially weird, since he's been in every single Digimon show ever and was even Joe in Hunters' crossover (as well as Grani, giving him far more lines than the actual "main character" he voiced, Damemon)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

The worst thing is that she still does. The ending is confirmed by the same trailer to be I Wish (meaning the original opening, ending and battle song are back), yet she's not voicing Mimi because...reasons?

Like the only understandable replacements are Taichi and Koushirou because women should not be voicing 17 and 16 year old men, respectively, but the rest are really weird. I guess Takeru is acceptable too because he can't keep a VA for two different things, that'd be crazy (he's had different VAs for Adventure, 02, the PSP game and now tri). Masami Kikuchi is especially weird, since he's been in every single Digimon show ever and was even Joe in Hunters' crossover (as well as Grani, giving him far more lines than the actual "main character" he voiced, Damemon)

But Koushiro is STILL voiced by a woman!

Replacing the girls and Yamato make no sense and replacing Masami Kikuchi makes negative sense, considering the guy voiced Joe's entire family.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Masami Kikuchi has a role in every digimon series.

The Kidos in both Adventures.
Demon in 02.
Dolphin in Tamers.
Neemon in Frontier.
Damemon in Xros Wars.

and of course

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk7v-wfERRM

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Made me way more hyped than the official one lol

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

Here's what some of the new VA's had to say about the announcement: (source: http://digi-egg.tumblr.com/post/118324364662/digimon-adventure-tri-va-cast)

quote:

Natsuki Hanae (@hanae0626)

I’m allowed to say it now, so I’ll announce it.
I’ll be appearing as Taichi Yagami in the Digimon Adventure tri. theater anime!
It’ll be screened starting from November 21, 2015! I’m happy to be here! I’m truly honored to be involved in this way in something I looked forward to watching every week when it aired in real time. I’ll be doing my best to play older Taichi, so please look forward to the screening! Right now I’m in the middle of rewatching the Blu-Ray (link to picture).

Suzuko Mimori (@mimori_suzuko)

I’m going to be playing the role of Sora Takenouchi! I’m really excited ♪ I’ll do my best!

Mutsuki Tamura (@623tmr)

I was crying a lot during the marathon broadcast.
There were a lot of people in my generation who were particularly touched by Digimon Adventure. Of course, I was one of them! Somehow, I was given the opportunity to play Koushirou Izumi in Digimon Adventure tri! I’m nervous, but my heart is full of happiness. I’m happy to be here! I can really feel the impact of Digimon! So much celebration on Twitter(≧∇≦) Even my normally cool little brother is happy for me ☆ So we went and bought the Blu-Ray box together *\(^o^)/* I’m gonna study Koushirou~☆ If you missed the marathon broadcast, you should too! (link to picture)

Hitomi Yoshida (@hiTomi_713)

It’s finally been announced!
I will be playing Mimi Tachikawa in Digimon Adventure tri.!
Of course, I’m anxious about being handed down such an important work, but when it comes to her, the holder of the Crest of Purity, straightforwardly and wholeheartedly taking the hands of her partners and friends, I feel I really want to do this. And, personally, I can’t help looking forward to seeing the continuation of their adventure! I would be happy if everyone could enjoy and welcome it warmly. In every way, I’m happy to be here!

Junya Ikeda (@junya_ikeda2710)

I’m from the Digimon generation. Right now…from the bottom of my heart, I’m happy! It’s like a dream! I’m going to put in my all for everyone who loved Jou Kido and his partner Gomamon, for everyone’s memories, for the yearning dreams I had at that time, and the dreams of everyone who loves Digimon!

I feel like I want to fly. Look forward to more!

Junya Enoki (@enojunjunjun)

It was just announced that I will be the one to play Takeru Takaishi in the theater anime Digimon Adventure tri.! I’m so happy that I want to tell my child self that he’d be in Digimon when he becomes an adult!
The theater screening begins November 21! I’m happy to be here! I played the games a lot as a kid, too…It really is like a dream.Thank you for your messages about Digimon Adventure tri. There are a lot of people who have loved this work for a long time, so I’m feeling some pressure, but I’ll do my best to play Takeru in my own way! For some reason, my dad sent me a picture of the family cat with the email he sent me to congratulate me about getting the role in Digimon.

They're pretty cute... I guess. :colbert:

(sorry for the double post)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God if ALL of these are coming to theater, they're going to take forever to get a State side release.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So if it's in theaters in November, then we can expect the blu ray/DVD release 6 months later or something, and then wait for the fansubbers, so maybe the first one will be online next year. Yay?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Burkion posted:

God if ALL of these are coming to theater, they're going to take forever to get a State side release.

Well if it gets enough attention and loving Nickelodeon doesn't sit on their rear end about it we could get it a little quicker. Look at DBZ Battle of Gods that took over a year, and now Resurrection of F will only take a few months because how much interest was shown from BoG. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

All of the promotional stuff Toei has been releasing has English language versions, so I would be surprised if they stream them over here in some fashion.

Also the guy that leaked the plot of Ressurection F early has allegedly released the plot for the first tri movie. I'm taking it with a grain of salt but if it's true it's definitely not what I would have expected.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Well, this whole thing was a bit more worldwide-esque with the nade-nade being accessible and intended for everyone and every teaser having a subbed version minutes after release, so maybe they're going to go for a closer western release, like official CrunchyRoll subs release of the new episode/movie after its theater release ends. Or it could be longer and we get an official subbed release of each episode/movie right before the next one comes in theaters. Or Toei decided that western audiences actually don't matter and we're gonna be waiting for BD release and fansubs...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

All of the promotional stuff Toei has been releasing has English language versions, so I would be surprised if they stream them over here in some fashion.

Also the guy that leaked the plot of Ressurection F early has allegedly released the plot for the first tri movie. I'm taking it with a grain of salt but if it's true it's definitely not what I would have expected.

I don't suppose you could put it in spoilers?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I read the Junya Ikeda one in his most excited GokaiSilver voice. Somehow, that makes it really easy to believe what he wrote. That said I can't see his voice fitting Joe at all, and I still don't get why Masami Kikuchi, easily the most important VA in Digimon, is not doing his very first role but...

Also considering how everything until now was released subbed despite there being no real need to, I'm going to guess we're getting official subs out of the movies soon. And by guess I mean hope.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't suppose you could put it in spoilers?

If you mean the Resurrection "F" plot, Kanzenshuu has a full summary of it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, I read the Junya Ikeda one in his most excited GokaiSilver voice.

Oh holy poo poo, how did I miss that?

I agree, I can't imagine him matching Masami Kikuchi. I wonder if Toei even asked him?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you mean the Resurrection "F" plot, Kanzenshuu has a full summary of it.

Uh, no, the Digimon one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

Oh holy poo poo, how did I miss that?

I agree, I can't imagine him matching Masami Kikuchi. I wonder if Toei even asked him?

I have this weird idea that Toei didn't get the children VAs entirely because it'd be more expensive for some reason. It's the only explanation I can actually think of. It's better than making everyone mutes like the Digimon in Hunters, at least!

Also I wonder if you also missed that Hikari is GokaiYellow? Because we have two Gokaigers in the team, and that's such a waste, if they were going to change all the VAs they should've just got all the team in, it'd be funny. Marvelous as Taichi, Joe as Yamato (not as Joe, of course, that'd be silly), Doc as Koushirou, Ahim as Sora. Gai as Joe is an awful choice but the only character I can see him fitting is Daisuke and he might not even appear at all.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Uh, no, the Digimon one.

Oh whoops, I totally misread your post then, sorry!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I actually did miss that! Wow, casting her as Hikari seems really backward.

And yeah, they missed a trick not casting the rest of the pirates.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Yeah if you could link that, it'd be swell

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

vivisecting posted:

BUT. Who is this?

Is she the villian? I am totally down for a lady villian. She doesn't go to the same school as they do.

Every landmark anime series turned into a set of movies ten years after their original air date needs their very own Mari. The question isn't "who is this girl" it's "will she scream 'POINT BLANK, SHITHEAD!' as she crossbows a Digimon in the forehead"? :v:

Also, did anyone catch how Toei used "Gatomon" instead of "Tailmon" in the cast announcement trailer? Did Toei just give up and concede to the dub on that one? (yeah, I know the Katakana spelled out Tailmon, but still...)

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

nine-gear crow posted:

Every landmark anime series turned into a set of movies ten years after their original air date needs their very own Mari. The question isn't "who is this girl" it's "will she scream 'POINT BLANK, SHITHEAD!' as she crossbows a Digimon in the forehead"? :v:

Also, did anyone catch how Toei used "Gatomon" instead of "Tailmon" in the cast announcement trailer? Did Toei just give up and concede to the dub on that one? (yeah, I know the Katakana spelled out Tailmon, but still...)

I did notice they also used Biyomon instead of Piyomon. It's weird to think of them acknowledging the dub, but well, here we are.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Well, they did say Digidestined in their English teaser a while back so it's not that surprising. Funny enough, since I don't follow Japanese Digimon, I didn't even notice these inconsistencies since they are what I expect, know what I mean?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Milli posted:

I did notice they also used Biyomon instead of Piyomon. It's weird to think of them acknowledging the dub, but well, here we are.

Covok posted:

Well, they did say Digidestined in their English teaser a while back so it's not that surprising. Funny enough, since I don't follow Japanese Digimon, I didn't even notice these inconsistencies since they are what I expect, know what I mean?

Y'know, I can't help but think on some level that they think they know who the bigger market for this is and the Japanese release is a formality.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Y'know, I can't help but think on some level that they think they know who the bigger market for this is and the Japanese release is a formality.

Were that the case, I would expect that that we'd've gotten the Blu-Ray release already.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

It occurs to me only now that I've never seen any Digimon in Japanese, so I've totally associated the show with passable if iffy voice acting and questionable theme song selections.

This is going to be weird.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Craptacular! posted:

It occurs to me only now that I've never seen any Digimon in Japanese, so I've totally associated the show with passable if iffy voice acting and questionable theme song selections.

This is going to be weird.

If/when they do dub it, I hope they break out the cheesy buttrock for old times sake :allears:.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If/when they do dub it, I hope they break out the cheesy buttrock for old times sake :allears:.

I'm glad I bought all the materials relating to the movie, because I bought a big NAS and put all my DVDs on the other month, and while Japanese copies of the trilogy are everywhere it's pretty difficult to find the US blender film with a completely random Fatboy Slim drop like god intended.

Christ, even some of the online friends I still have from that period didn't see/remember that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't watch the Adventure dub at all anymore. The constant stream of jokes without any regard for pacing, the lack of consistency with plot points, the exaggeration of characters like Mimi, and the repetitive music just. I can't sit through it anymore.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I watched the Latin American dub for the first four series and they were of extremely high quality. Straight from the original, with some of the name changes of the English version for some reason, songs were either kept as-is (battle songs, mostly) while the openings and endings were dubbed in Spanish and were awesome.

Everything I've read of the USA dub sounds terrible and that rap is horrible, but I get that people are nostalgic for it. That said, I fully hope the English dub, if any, will actually be faithful to the series. But more than that I just want subs that don't take years, and considering these will be released in cinemas I can't help but be a bit scared on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I really really wish I could find a copy of the English movie (and then somehow erase the second half of it).