Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Lydia Cinctus

Music Malady by Imperative Reaction

Would it be a cliche to ask you into my parlour?

I suppose I've always known that I am unique. Special. For a long while I wasn't really sure of how, but about a year and a half ago, well, things came into focus. I woke up one chilly November evening to a scratching in the back of my throat. I supposed it was just that - a sore throat. But it didn't really ever get worse - or go away. Then the dreams started. I could see my parents, my friends, my dog, everyone I've known. Watching them like I was in the corner of whatever room they were in. I saw my father slip out after my mother went to sleep. I saw her waking up afterwords and just sobbing. And it got stranger. A few of them I would watch while they were out and about. As if I was hiding in the bushes, like hunting them. I would follow my father to his car, then up the steps to the flat of the woman who lived across town.

...then Fluffy, our poodle, disappeared. Just after I had a dream that I had somehow...well, it was a vivid dream, to say the least.

Two nights later I woke up in a cold sweat, went to the bathroom, and didn't recognize the face in the mirror. Except I did, it - she - was me. All eyes - so many eyes! And fangs, as well. Really rather different than what I am normally used to seeing. But I didn't fear that face, staring back at me. For some reason I was simply calm. And when I woke up again, the next morning, I looked, well, human again. But I could feel it all, really, truly. Just how special I was.

Suddenly all of them - my parents, my friends, everyone I've known - they all looked so small. Helpless, like insects. Waiting for me to make my move. To decide - I could draw them in, I could pull the threads, or I could cut those threads and free them.

The next time my father went to his mistress' home, I followed - and not in a dream. I waited until he left. And I rang her doorbell. And when she answered, I showed her my fangs. And I showed her my eyes. And then...

...well, I cut the thread she had on my father. And in the fallout of that - the police investigation on him, the argument with mother, and our leaving - our threads with him got cut too.

So now my mother and I have come here, to Sheffield. To my grandmother's home. And I've come to St. Andrews. So far, there are so many little insects buzzing around, but I haven't picked any to watch in particular. Yet. But my throat itches again, so I know - it's going to be soon. I can't really resist. And, to be honest, why would I ever want to?

quote:

Look: patient, gleaming eyes
Skin: The Anansi
Origin: On your own

True Form: Many eyes, fangs

Stats:
Hot: 0
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Hidden Agenda: Win Felicia's Love

Moves

Hidden Agenda
You have a Hidden Agenda; sometime during the first session, choose one:
- to see __________destroyed;
- to win __________'s love;
- To gain possession of _________;
- to learn the secret of __________.

When you accomplish your Hidden Agenda, create a new Agenda and pick one;
~Gain a string on everyone with the condition entangled,
~Clear all your conditions and heal all your Harm,
~Exchange one of your Anansi Moves, other than Hidden Agenda, for another one.

When your Hidden Agenda is no longer hidden from the other PCs or can no longer be achieved, or at the start of any scene you decide to consider it failed, choose one;
~enter your Darkest Self and make one last attempt at your Hidden Agenda,
~clear the condition entangled from everyone who has it and lose all your strings
Then create a new Agenda.

Shame On Me
When you betray the hopes and expectations of others or put the pursuit of your Hidden Agenda ahead of your promises, carry 1 forward towards your Agenda and mark experience, but give the betrayed party a string on you.

The Web Of Life
You are always connected to those you have Strings on. When you spy on them from afar, roll +Dark. On a 7-9, you may spend a string as if you were in the scene, but only once. On a 10+ as long as you continue to watch, you may spend strings on those there as if you were in the scene.

Oh What a Tangled Web
When you gain a string on someone from a Shut Down give them the condition entangled.

When you offer someone with the condition entangled experience to help you in your pursuit of your Hidden Agenda and they refuse, you keep your string.

Come Into My Parlour
When you manipulate an NPC to help fulfill your Hidden Agenda, roll with Dark. When someone commits an unprincipled act to aid you in the pursuit of your Hidden Agenda, they suffer the entangled Condition.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition entangled with you...you decide if this means physically, socially, emotionally, as part of your schemes, or any combination of those. This counts as entangled, for purposes of other moves.

Darkest Self
Your spider nature asserts itself and you assume your true form. All the games are over now...you will seek your (possibly not-so) Hidden Agenda to the exclusion of all other pursuits, even if it is beyond your reach, and everyone who gets in your way will find themselves entombed in silken sarcophagi. To escape your Darkest Self someone must stand in your way and make you laugh, or make you think.

Backstory
One or more others have been in your web before. Take two Strings on someone, or one String on two someones.

Your bizarre antics are well known. Everyone gains a String on you.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Jay Parker, the Cuckoo

Things can get kinda complicated in school. My name's Jay..Well, at least right now it is. Jay Parker, I'm the son of Monica and John Parker. Or at least, that's what they were told and I'm not exactly sure they want to know about what happened to him. Really, it was probably for the best, the poor boy was going to end up with all sorts of disorders by the time he was a teenager. So, I got adopted by Jay's birth parents. I bet now they know something was up, but my childhood was perfectly normal. Sure, I looked a little different than them, but it didn't really start to be obvious until puberty. And boy, did it get really awkward.

There was a little while where they thought they were being clever, calling the NHS about my birth records, telling me it was for schools and whatever, but I know what they were doing. Someone from the hospital, the one who places boys and girls like me into new homes, he told me what made me different, what made me special. So, I tried to be more like the son they wanted, at least at first. Darkened my hair, tried to get stronger. My mom still loves me, but my dad can't seem to stand the idea that I'm actually not quite the Jay Parker that he wanted. You'd think he'd have something more to worry about, being a banker type working as much as he does, but I guess he feels like I'm a liar. I'd tell him off about the fact that their actual son was a dead boy walking, but it wouldn't help. So, I just shout stupid stuff at him, and go off and be whoever I want to be.

That's my thing. There are a lot of people who aren't happy with who they are, but they've got something I never will, not how I am right now. Acceptance that they are who they say they are, that they belong there. It's messed up, really. So, I can spend some time in some other clothes for a little while, feel like that for just a little bit, and it makes my life livable. Not amazing, but livable.

quote:

The Cuckoo
Name: Jay Parker
Look: Sleek, Vibrant Eyes
Origin: Foster kid

Stats:

Hot: 2
Cold: 1
Dark: -1

Darkest Self:

Somebody is a hack at playing themselves in their own life. It grates on you. It's time for you, the
understudy, to take that place in the spotlight; you portray them so much better than they do. It's time
to take them out of the picture, using whatever means necessary. Replace them. You escape your Darkest Self
when something they do surprises you, or someone shows a genuine care for them, or you succeed.

Sex Move:

Once you've had sex with someone, add 1 to your rolls for passing as them.
(List them here, and also add +1's to your outfit list.)

Moves:

Feathers
Your magic lets you pass as the person whose clothes you're wearing. When you're seen wearing someone else's
clothes, but aren't yet passing, roll with hot. On a 10 up, you're passing as them - you'd fool their mother and
their favorite hookup. Mark the outfit you're wearing below. • On a 7-9, same as above, but choose one:
}} the magic will dissipate if you kiss or get kissed,
}} the magic will dissipate if you lash out at anyone.

While you're passing as someone, give social Conditions you receive to them instead. This won't let you avoid physical Conditions, though.

Shredding The Looking Glass
When someone suspects you're not who you appear to be, read them this: "If the enchantment were to be broken, the edges would be very sharp.
You momentarily notice a gap in my magic. Choose one:
}} tear my magic away - my identity is revealed and the clothes are in tatters, but you get scratched up in the process and take 1 harm,
}} or, shake your head to clear it - it was nothing."

Close to the Sun
When someone suspects that you're not who you appear to be, mark experience.

A Little Bird Told Me
When you blab vicious lies about someone behind their back, roll with cold. On a 10 up, give them a
Condition. • On a 7-9, give them a Condition, but some people don't believe you, so gain the Condition liar.

Advancements:

X Take a Cuckoo Move

Your Backstory

You've stolen an outfit from someone. Record it under "Outfits," and gain a String on that person.

Someone gave you an outfit so that you could impersonate them - discuss with them and decide why. Record it under "Outfits," and you each get a String on one another.

Outfits
Lydia, Megan

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 16, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Continuing my trend of trying out experimental Goon-made skins...

Zahraa Jones the Djinni

America! Land of opportunity! Shining beacon of justice and equality! The place where anybody can reinvent themselves!

Even if they've never been there. I haven't. I'm really an ancient Djinn!

No, I haven't seen Aladdin too many times (totally inaccurate, bee-tee-dubs). Seriously! That's why I'm here. Something woke me up, got me out of my bottle, but I don't know where it is. It sucks, I have to find it. Not in a 'Oh, I really liked it, I want it back', in a deep, genetic way (do I have genes?). Legend is that the Djinn refused to bow to Man and we got expelled from heaven. I'm not sure if that's true - my family believed it, at least. We were separate from man, but could take their form and were bound to serve them...sort of. Disobeying, not okay. Tricking...

...so I'm tricking them now. I've started at this school, claimed I'm an American exchange student. It'll let me get away without knowing all the culture and the ticks. Everybody seems to think Americans don't know that sort of thing. It's all in service of finding my bottle and my true master. See, it's not so hard to twist things. :-)

quote:

Look: Flashy, wicked eyes
Origin: Escaped from a Bottle

Hot: 1
Cold: -1
Dark: 2
Resentment: 0

Moves

Friend Like Me
You have the power to grant wishes, if they have been phrased as a wish or expressed as a desire directly to you. As you fulfill the dreams of others instead of your own, your resentment eventually becomes too much to bear. You have a fifth stat, Resentment, to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. If at any time you would take a fourth point of resentment, instead become your Darkest Self. You can only ever gain or lose one point of Resentment per scene. If you grant a wish while in your Darkest Self, lose a point of Resentment. When you leave your Darkest Self, reset your Resentment to 0.

When you attempt to grant their wish, roll +Dark. On a 10+, you grant the wish according to the wisher’s intent. On a 7-9, you grant the wish according to their exact request. Either way:
  • If they genuinely thank you, take a string on them.
  • If not, they gain a string on you, and you mark 1 point of Resentment.

Monkey Paw
When you twist the words or spirit of a wish to mess with someone, roll +Dark. On a 10+, the twisted wish succeeds and you may act as though you had rolled a 10+ to shut them down or remove 1 point of Resentment. On a 7-9, you succeed and remove 1 point of Resentment, but pick one from the list:
  • You take the condition Drained;
  • You take one harm;
  • You get caught up in the twist.

Djinn in a Bottle
You've been bound to a trinket--a bottle, a lamp, a ring, or something similar. It can be stolen, but never destroyed. You can only take it back from whoever holds it if they give it directly to you. If you freely give your trinket to someone new, take a string on them. When the bearer of your trinket gives you a command, they choose:
  • You mark experience if you follow their command;
  • You must hold steady to refuse their command.
Either way, carry 1 forward if you attempt to fulfill their demands.

If you start with this move, choose who has your trinket during your backstory.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, treat it as if you had granted them a wish as per Friend Like Me.

Darkest Self
They like your things, but they don’t like you. They’re too busy fawning over your gifts, taking advantage of your generosity, to even care about the one who put them where they stand now. Maybe it’s time for your “gifts” to do the talking for you. Grant every desire you hear that could be even tenuously interpreted as a wish. Make sure every wish granted has an unexpected and unfortunate twist. If someone had the gall to steal your trinket, they should be your prime target. When rolling to 'grant' wishes, roll +Resentment. Exit your Darkest Self when your Resentment stat reaches 0 or when someone proves that they like you for you, not for what you can do for them.

Advancement
  • Take another Djinni Move
  • Take another Djinni Move
  • Take a move from another Skin
  • Take a move from another Skin
  • You belong to A Ring Of Djinn
  • Add 1 to Hot (max 3)
  • Add 1 to Cold (max 3)
  • Add 1 to Volatile (max 3)
  • Add 1 to Dark (max 3)

Backstory
  • You’re a doormat. Give everyone a string on you.
  • You granted someone a wish and it didn't go exactly as planned. Decide how, then take a string on each other.
  • Someone did something nice for you without expecting anything in return. Ask what they did, and give them a string on you.

Having checked with Godfish, the author of this skin, he's of the opinion a 'missing' bottle to start works as a hook. I leave it to the GM to decide who'll find it, but I presume we want to get it into the hands of a PC fairly early.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Zack Phillips- Werewolf

Musical Accompaniment

Next school, and you know I really couldn't care at all. This was all bullshit, but what can you do? Another year another school, all for "acting out" sure whatever those tossers want to tell themselves. I don't care not really, just another school, this one fancy that dad managed to swing or something. You know what? I don't care what they say they can't push me around. I'm sick and tired of all of this- just bullshit man you don't understand. They keep on pushing me and when I push back and when I push back I go all in. I don't why man, I just do.

My mom was in the poor side of town, I don't know the whole story, but lets just say I had to live it rough. My new "dad" decided to come here and save us, though it was mostly my mom. "Couldn't move schools, mid year." More bullshit, just didn't want another step son you gotta explain to your old country club assholes why your kid is a street rat weirdo. "Incorrigible" was a word of the day for all the times the bobbies decided to pick me up and do a show of force. I knew I got off easy and maybe I resented my dad even more for that, of course he isn't my real dad, but at least he likes my mom enough to keep me tagging along.

As for that other thing, gently caress you, don't you label me. I'm not some science project, I just got a condition. Sometimes, something hits me and I'm not human anymore. I have to keep that on the down low, but what else can I do? I'm going to this new school, most likely mid year, everyone will know I am the rich kid who bought his way in. Anything that keeps me out of detention center again for another year I guess.

This is going to just going to be brilliant. I am sure, loving brilliant.

quote:

Character Sheet: Zack Phillips - Werewolf

Look: Rugged, with fierce eyes

Origin: awoken

Stats
Hot: +2
Cold: -1
Volatile: +1

Werewolf Moves
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uncontainable - When you attempt to escape any form of physical entrapment, roll with volatile. On a 10 up, you escape.
On a 7-9 the MC will offer you a hard bargain: agree if you want to escape.

Scent of Blood - Add 1 to all rolls against those who have been harmed in this scene already.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sex Move- When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self- You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first

Your Backstory- You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.
pre:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I'm posting to let the MC know that Utena disappeared and has been replaced by a real application for your consideration, it can be seen here.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Name: Horace Kincaid
Skin: The Ghoul
Look: gaunt, hollow eyes
Origin: constructed

I should probably start by telling you about my mother. Well, maybe “mother” isn't the right word. “Creator” is probably more accurate. I just call her “Mum.” She likes that. She had a real child named Horace once. At first, Mum tried to keep me completely in the dark about it, but eventually I found the pictures of their happy family, locked away in the attic. They even had a father, though I've never even heard Mum talk about him.

After punishing me for going where I wasn't allowed to be, Mum told me her previous son was dead, and she didn't want to talk about him any more. But I know that's not true either. Mum doesn't know that I've seen him. Whenever I'm not performing the duties Mum expects of me, I check up on him, see what he's doing. I just want to try to figure him out. His life seems so much easier than mine. I've never seen him eat pounds of meat or kill an animal to keep the craving at bay for just a few more minutes. The fact that my hunger gets even stronger whenever I'm near him has nothing to do with it...

That desire never really goes away though. I don't know where I would be without my Mum. She brings me meat, and lots of it. It smells and looks different from steak or chicken, but whenever I question her, she scolds me. “We eat what's put in front of us in this house.” So I eat.

Sometimes she leaves for a couple days, and I have to get my own food. On the one hand, it's terrifying and disgusting to try to find enough food to satisfy my hunger, but on the other hand it's good to be free of her rules for a little while. When she's here, I'm not allowed to curse, or smoke, or drink, or have people over. She says those are too dangerous, and risk us being "discovered", but I don't know what she means. I'm just trying to live my life.

Maybe I should start trying to live more like my “brother” does? Or maybe if I consume him, the hunger will finally go away... No. That is too horrible even to contemplate.

quote:

Stats:
Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Volatile: 1

Moves:
--The Hunger
Horace has a Hunger for flesh.
When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

--Disaffected
When you turn someone on, roll with cold.

--Satiety
When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
}}heal one harm;
}}remove a Condition;
}}mark experience;
}}carry 1 forward.

Darkest Self
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Backstory
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 5, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Lau, the Angel

Jude 1:6 posted:

And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.

There’s not much about fallen angels in the Bible. They’re mostly there to scare people straight – if God was willing to punish his own servants for eternity, think about what he’d do to you, etcetera etc. Of course, they left out the bit about how we came down to help people, to teach them the arts and sciences so that they could be more than slaves toiling in the dirt. And they left out the part about how we ended up as humans ourselves, passing our memories down the generations, taking the slow road to the Last Judgment. Everlasting chains indeed.

I think. It was a long time ago, and the memories get more jumbled and blurry with each new birth. But the voice, the light, the fire in that furthest corner of our brain that burns with every sin, that remains. We do our good deeds in the vain hope of calming that fire, of recalling the smallest glimpse of heaven. Sometimes, it even works.

My name is Elizabeth Lau. My parents are from Hong Kong and moved here shortly before independence in 1997, before I was born. So no, I’m not an immigrant, technically. You can tick the other boxes off on your bingo cards if you want though: I’m an only child, I'm bad at sports, I play violin and piano and sing in the choir and, yes, I want to go to medical school. I want to help people.

Of course, that’s what got us into this mess. Sometimes, I wonder why I bother. Every day, more people realise they can do just fine without heaven. Can’t I be one of them? Isn’t it enough to be Lizzie, and a good person, without having to redeem a sin so old it might not have even happened?

You can’t answer that, can you?

quote:

Name: Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Lau
Skin: The Angel
Look: Tentative, beautiful eyes
Origin: On the path to redemption

Stats: Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile 1, Trespass 0, Forgiveness 0

Moves:
Cast from Heaven:
You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0. When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead. Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone else’s will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without the lord’s permission, move the marker toward Trespass. If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

Halo:
When you turn someone on, roll with Forgiveness.

Gaze into Heaven:
When you gaze into heaven, as a servant of the lord, roll with Forgiveness. On a 10 up, you are filled with his voice, and may ask him for guidance or command. Carry one forward to whatever you’d like. On a 7-9, you are greeted by one of his emissaries, who will impart to you a mission. Carry one forward to completing that mission.
When you gaze into heaven, as a spurious and hateful child, it counts as gazing into the abyss. On a 10 up, add this option to the list: the visions show you what the lord fears most from you, and you carry 1 forward to realizing that fear. On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions show you how you have upset or bewildered the lord.

Backstory:

The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

Done, ready for questions.

Gato fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 24, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Abigale

Q1: Wow you’ve had a rough life. What’s the thing you’ve found hardest about adjusting to life in England? Also I bet there’s something you really enjoy now that you couldn’t do before in your old life what is it?

Q2: There are monsters of all shapes and sizes around here. Some of the worst of them are even human. Have you fought any of them yet? Who or what has your Counsellor warned you to stay away from?

Felica

Q1: So Felica who in the school staff has given you the most shi- err problems about your hair? Tell me as well about one of the teachers who you’ve most impressed with your work ethic.

Q2: So you like to help people. That’s great. Tell me about a fellow student whose life you’ve helped turn around with your advice. Also is there someone you’ve been trying to help who just won’t take your help Who is it and why won’t they let you help?

Lydia

Q1: Lydia is there anyone in your new school who doesn’t look like an insect to you? And does that make them more or less interesting to you?

Q2: If you’ll permit the horrible pun you get lots of people entangled in your plans don’t you. Tell me about a person who you couldn’t get rid of no matter how hard you tried. Also what happened the last time one of your plans went wrong how did you manage to shift the blame to someone else?

Jay

Q1: it sucks that your parents treat you like that. Still tell me about the last time you managed to make your dad proud of you?

Q2: I see so there’s more kids out there who can do what you do. Have you ever met one of them? And what advice did they give you or what advice would you give them if you did meet?

Zahaara

Q1: Zaahara which of the stereotypes about Djinns most annoys you then? Is there anything at all in these tales about your people that they actually got right?

Q2 Has your lack of knowledge of American culture ever tripped you up in a conversation? What’s been the most exciting change anyway since you last got out of the bottle?

Zack

Q1: I’ve heard a few stories about you. Who did you attack at your last school? And what did they do to deserve it?

Q2: What’s been the most difficult thing for you to deal with now that your Mom and you actually have money? Did you meet anyone at those fancy clubs you went to with your step-dad who actually seemed to like you?

Horace

Q1: What is wrong with your “brother” if you don’t mind me asking? Has your Mother or creator ever explained why you were created?

Q2: What’s the oddest duty your Mom expects you to perform anyway? When you skipped one of the duties how did your Mom punish you for it?

Questions are up for everyone. Will do some for Gato when his app is finished.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

Zahaara
Q1: Zaahara which of the stereotypes about Djinns most annoys you then? Is there anything at all in these tales about your people that they actually got right?

"That we all sound like Robin Williams.

I'm only half kidding. People think we're...jokes. Punchlines. Or sex objects. None of that's good. We had free will BEFORE man, you know! Incredible cosmic power! You'd think that'd get some respect, but nope, humans just laugh and want us to entertain their kids. Philistines. (Ick, hate that term. I knew some, they were okay people)

We are tricksters though, some of the stories got that right.They misunderstand the cause, though. It's not..." sigh "...it's not that we do it just to mess with humans. It's because we're bound and once you've been bound for too long you just need to...move a little, to twist, to give yourself feeling again. It's not humans we're upset with (usually). It's God. The fun of putting one over on a human is just an added bonus."

Ferrosol posted:

Q2 Has your lack of knowledge of American culture ever tripped you up in a conversation? What’s been the most exciting change anyway since you last got out of the bottle?

"I've had to make up most things from watching TV or doing quick internet searches. I said 'New York' when people asked where I was from and that was a huge mistake. Everybody thought it was so exciting and wondered where and what I did and if I got designer clothes and ate out all the time and what did my parents do. Too many questions! So I claimed I was from Buffalo, because everybody agrees that's super boring. I have to wave off some of the pop culture questions. I was all "Oh yeah that movie sounds great!" and was asked "Didn't you see it in the states?". How was I supposed to know things don't come out the same time everywhere? That's silly.

Most exciting? Wow, where to even start! Humans are...sometimes terrible. They've got all these new ways of war. But they're really creative too, in a way the Djinn aren't (or maybe never were?). They have huge cities, they can fly, they literally have tiny magic boxes in their purses that lets them talk to almost anybody else on the planet. That amazes me, and I'm magic!"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ferrosol posted:

Lydia

Q1: Lydia is there anyone in your new school who doesn’t look like an insect to you? And does that make them more or less interesting to you?

Q2: If you’ll permit the horrible pun you get lots of people entangled in your plans don’t you. Tell me about a person who you couldn’t get rid of no matter how hard you tried. Also what happened the last time one of your plans went wrong how did you manage to shift the blame to someone else?

Q1: That is an interesting question. Did you know that many species of spiders are cannibalistic? You see, after I came to the realization of what was, I took it upon myself to look up as much as I could about my, well, cousins I suppose. Regardless, I see other people like me occasionally here. Well, not like me exactly, I don't think I've ever met anyone with my - condition, but regardless, even in the cases of the more...predatory...people, there are only a few cases where that will make a difference as far as how I regard them. For instance, the librarian, the Mrs. Harding, she has the bearing of a predator. She interests me, and I am not entirely sure why. Perhaps, in part, it is due to the nature of the library - oh the section with the computers and the internet and everything, that is fairly standard - noisy teenagers trying to get around security filters and shirking work - but the rest is quiet. Undisturbed. When a book is taken off the shelf, dust comes up - a small commotion, and then everything settles, again. It is a good place for someone who likes to study things. And at the center of it - Mrs. Harding. Keeping everything in order. Stopping the little insects from buzzing around too loudly. Patiently waiting.

Perhaps I'll go into library science one day?

Q2: If I am allowed a bit of self-indulgent cliche spider-puns, I suppose you are as well. I might have overstated my lack of a specific interest in a specific individual before. The truth is, the first week I was here, I met a young man. Named Simon Browne. I suppose he must have been "interested", in the way the bipedal mammalian adolescents become interested in each other. I had not encountered a person who was "interested" in me, after my metamorphosis, so, to sate my own curiosity, I agreed to spend some time with him.

Quickly, as an aside, I will mention, after my metamorphosis, there was a certain...lateral shift of my senses in my human facade. The hue on my eyes changed slightly - it isn't something people generally notice but your vision of the world is tinted based upon your eyes. Well, my tint changed. And the way I hear things - it's not precisely...better, but I hear insects, actual insects, more keenly. Small mammals, too, dogs, cats, rodents, those sorts of things, as they skitter about. Tuned for hunting, I suppose. It affects my sense of smell and taste, too.

Well, most humans give off a pheromone, and teenaged humans quite a lot of them. To your average human, it's not something that affects you consciously. But I can smell it. It isn't much, but when you get close to a person, in a way that two people who are purporting to be dating end up getting, it is far more obvious. Simon's scent wasn't...bad, per se, but it was off-putting, to me. I decided quite quickly I didn't want to spend more time with him. At first, I simply tried to avoid him in the halls. But he found me. I requested a change of a class schedule but the headmaster was against such a maneuver. He continued to call my phone even after I declined answering. And when he did not call he would send me text messages. Many of them, and of increasing aggressiveness and lewdness. The voicemail messages he left on my phone fell into that category as well.

Evidently, I needed to take direct action. I detest direct confrontation - if I am not able to exercise the element of surprise or if I do not find myself advantaged by the location or other circumstances. Well, the hallways of St. Andrews do not provide any benefit to a...dramatic social situation. So I needed to think on my feet. At that point, I did not have many "contacts" in my "phonebook", but I had, luckily, remembered the combination to his gym locker (it was the same as the password to his cell phone...his birthday, foolishly). And so, I took one of his lewder texts...a picture, and I forwarded it to all of his contacts, with the caption "but where's the rest?". By the end of the school day, he stopped bothering me. And a week later he transferred away, after many meetings with the faculty about his inappropriate conduct.

There were...accusations, in the aftermath. Not something I have had the displeasure of experiencing before that incident. Someone had managed to spot me sneaking into the boy's locker room. I am uncertain of who it was, which is more frustrating. But, I have the fortune of being the same general build and complexion as a year nine student, a Cassandra Williams. I had made notice of that, but she was an otherwise banal and boring insect. I had no intention of involving her in any of my schemes, but I needed a scapegoat. So, I swapped our sim cards, on our cell phones, after deleting all the messages Simon sent me, both textual and vocal, that included my name. Then, I made a report to the administrators - anonymously, of course. And, well, the evidence was there. Clearly she was the one who was having a tryst with Simon. And clearly she had taken the rather extreme action. I was let go with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. And, well, while she was serving her detention I switched the sim cards back - after copying her contacts, of course.

One may never know when one needs another scapegoat.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Ferrosol posted:

Horace

Q1: What is wrong with your “brother” if you don’t mind me asking? Has your Mother or creator ever explained why you were created?

Q2: What’s the oddest duty your Mom expects you to perform anyway? When you skipped one of the duties how did your Mom punish you for it?

I don't know what's wrong with the “real” Horace. He seems like any other kid to me. Mum hasn't told me exactly why she created me, but it seemed kind of like she was... disappointed in my brother. Like he'd done something that had really displeased her, so now she had disowned him. He lives in foster care now. I don't know where his father is either, but Mum has a similar tone of disappointment when the subject comes up.

The strangest chore I have to do is go into the basement and clean the furnace. What is she burning so much that it's always covered in soot? I don't like it in the basement. It's freezing and full of long shadows. Mum keeps a bunch of weird old junk down there, like broken grandfather clocks, dolls with scary faces, and statues whose eyes follow me. But one time I got so scared, I refused to clean the furnace, so she locked me in the basement until I did. I tried to hold out, because I was tired of following these pointless, scary rules, but my hunger betrayed me. Even after I finally cleaned the furnace though, Mum refused to let me out for days, “until I learned my lesson.”

When she finally did let me out, I was in a red haze of anger and craving. Mum had made sure my dog Minnie would be waiting to greet me with her tail wagging, barking, jumping and down, trying to lick me... She was the first animal I saw since getting out of that horrible basement, and I was so scared and hungry that I...

Mum made me throw the bones in the furnace, so I would understand why keeping it clean was important. We would both be in trouble if anyone saw what was left whenever I fed.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 6, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

quote:

Q1: So Felica who in the school staff has given you the most shi- err problems about your hair? Tell me as well about one of the teachers who you’ve most impressed with your work ethic.

Oh goodness gracious, my mother and father always told me not to complain behind people's back because complaints are really rude to make there. Like, you know someone who you only ever complain about when they can't hear you will never improve! But uhm, if you promise not to tell them I told you, Mr. Crawford is kinda rude about me being, well, me, sometimes. He's uh, he's I think the oldest teacher in the school, so part of it is just that he really likes to talk about back in his day, which I guess I kinda can understand? My parents aren't that old, but they talk about how back when they were young people weren't as accepting as they are nowadays, and how they had to work hard to raise me to not have their faults! And to improve themselves at the same time, even, which is part of why I can be so happy! But uhm, Mr. Crawford hasn't really caused any real problems, he just sometimes looks at me and goes into rants about back in his day and respect and stuff about the Lord and what he would think of all this, but I mean he never really causes me trouble. Though it's probably a good thing he doesn't really know about me!

Ms. Bennett is my absolute favorite teacher. She's like, really young, like I think she's like twenty-five or so? And she got into teaching because she loves kids our age and wants to help us all improve and better ourselves and so she puts like, a hundred and fifty percent of her effort into teaching! And it's like, really great, she's super earnest and amazing and I think that she really really likes me, because I always raise my hand to answer questions and I always do my work on time, and when people need help and she can't help them all at once I always volunteer to help people with stuff, and like, I think she understands me? Like how much I love helping other people. It's really nice to have a teacher so focused on helping people, not just like, teaching us. And she's like, always here if we need to talk or don't want to go out and eat at the cafeteria, which is nice because I mean some of those kids are really disrespectful and mean at lunch. I like to go to her room for lunch time, and I think she likes when I get there, because she usually helps other students with what they're struggling with during that time, even giving up her own lunch time, and my arrival means once I'm done eating I can help them in her stead, and then she can eat!

Overall most the teachers here are pretty neat, but like, that doesn't mean I want to tell them about me. Though I bet Ms. Bennett would be like, super surprised if I did! Or maybe not, I mean, she seems pretty perceptive, and I catch her looking at me thoughtfully a lot. My dad thinks she's probably just wondering how anyone so good can exist, compared to all the other kids, but I kinda think she might suspect I'm not normal! I'm not really sure what to think about that, but I'm hoping she wont mind if she does suspect it and find out.

quote:

Q2: So you like to help people. That’s great. Tell me about a fellow student whose life you’ve helped turn around with your advice. Also is there someone you’ve been trying to help who just won’t take your help Who is it and why won’t they let you help?

Nadifa Farah is uhm, well, her family was asylum seekers, from Somalia, and like they were granted it, which I am so so glad of because I hear her stories and they make me so sad, but they're... not exactly rich. It doesn't help that she's doesn't exactly blend in with people here, so the poorness just stands out even more, and a lot of people like, target her because of it. I remember one time someone stole her PE clothes like, knowing that she couldn't afford another set and I found her sobbing in the bathroom and it was like oh my gosh, how can kids be so cruel to each other? And like it wouldn't be a huge deal the school would have helped I'm totally sure but she was always so scared that she'd be kicked out because she was only chosen on like, a scholarship, and she hated causing trouble. I think that was the first day I ever got in trouble, because I gave her my uniform - which was honestly a little small on her because I'm kinda tiny and she's kinda larger than me, but it was okay and good enough! And then went out and said I lost my own uniform. It was really terrible, I felt horrible for lying to the teacher like ugh, I was the worst, but I couldn't tell the truth. He sent me up to call my parents to bring me a spare, but that was fine, and my dad was kinda upset at first but then I told him what happened and he called me a very good girl and hugged me and told me to get back to class.

Nadifa didn't really like the idea of charity but I totally bought a uniform in her size and hid it in her stuff the next day when she wasn't paying attention, and she kinda freaked out at first and was unhappy and okay, I felt really bad for that, but then when no one said she owed them anything I think she warmed up to it and now she's got her stuff back and it's just really nice. I am happy she's happier, because she really is a really smart girl and she doesn't deserve to be treated badly. No one does, I mean! But like especially her, I really really hate when nice people are picked on even more than when other people are picked on. She just wants to make her family happy and do her best, which is one hundred percent respectable and great.

Charles Marshall is basically the exact opposite though, he's uh, wealthy and well off and his family has lived in the area for a long time and he has lots of friends and is really popular. But he 's also kind of uhm, mean and disrespectful and a big bully to anyone who doesn't want to pay heed to him, or even if they do but stand out like Nadifa. He likes to bully and call names and makes jokes about ah... don't tell my parents I said it but uhm, he likes to joke about 'paki bastards' oh gosh I can't believe I said that word. Like uh, yeah though, he's not a very nice person. But I mean, I still wanted to help him be a nicer person, so I tried really hard for awhile. I mean I'd tell him things were rude and that if he was nicer he'd get along with people more, and I told him that he'd get into less trouble if he'd stop bullying people and like I really really tried to help him but it's really hard to reach someone like that? He doesn't want to be a better person I don't think, and that makes me really sad, because I don't even want to imagine what his home life was like to cause that.

He's uh, also not very bright like oh dear that's really rude of me to say, but he doesn't really pay attention in class or take notes or do his homework and he fails tests a lot and I think his parents are really disappointed in that. But like, even when I offer to let him borrow my notes, or ask if he needs tutoring or anything, he just gets mad and one time he even shoved me over in the middle of the lunch room, my food went all over me too, for calling him stupid but I totally didn't I just really wanted to help! He got in trouble that time because I started crying and the teachers saw and now I think he kind of hates me and I feel really bad but I really just wanted to help him with tutoring like I offer to everyone else, because that's totally what I should do. I just don't know how to reach out to him and I know it's all my fault.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Ferrosol posted:

Abigale

Q1: Wow you’ve had a rough life. What’s the thing you’ve found hardest about adjusting to life in England? Also I bet there’s something you really enjoy now that you couldn’t do before in your old life what is it?

The young woman sits sullenly in her chair, her shoulders hunched, her legs kick restlessly under her and she gazes up at the interviewer with a measured glance just brimming with distrust and scepticism, and perhaps a bit of resentment. Her recalcitrance shows in every belligerent kick of her legs and weary sigh that escapes her.

She's silent for a long time, but when she sees the interviewer is not leaving without an answer she heaves out a moody groan.

..."I don't think people know the whole story here, right? It's kinda nice to be removed from that. Back in the states people would look at me with such pity and I didn't like all the attention. I feel guilty for being relieved, though, right? Still, everyone does know I'm different because I speak funny and all, what with my American accent. I'm also not familiar with how the school system works here at all. I still don't know where all my classes are and y'know sometimes I don't understand the accents of some people when they speak to me... To be honest, I think I'd be completely lost if not for my friend Vijender Singh, or VJ as he lets me call him, we bonded over our mutual "weird" accents in "home room." He's actually my first friend ever, I think." She grimaces some, and speaks awkwardly, "...if you can consider it friendship when they don't know anything about you..." She draws in a deep calming breath and looks anywhere but at her interviewer. "I always have to keep myself separate from them, you know? I mean, how do you bring that into a conversation? 'Oh VJ, you've got eggs over easy! I used to eat eggs over easy, then I accidentally burned them and set off the fire alarm in the apartment and woke up my parents and my step-father beat me with the still hot pan.' Yeah, that's really normal."

She sighs, flopping back into her seat and crossing her arms across her chest as her shoulders sag in a broody sulk. The sullen silence persists for some time before, finally, she hits on something and straightens her posture some looking up at the interviewer hopefully.

"But you know, I actually like the weather here. I love it when it's gloomy and broody and about to rain, when you can smell a storm brewing in the air, there's an energy in it. And, I mean, I grew up in Flint, Michigan so this weather isn't much different from ho--" She catches herself, "From there." She continues, cautiously, "The school is way nicer too, it has a friendly atmosphere and all the students are really attractive. But, I think all the teachers know about... about my past, because they're all really nice to me. Sometimes I think they're too lenient, I get away with a lot. But it's nice, in it's own way, I never used to be able to get away with anything. But still, I think I'm being treated with a gentle hand and... well I just hope the other kids don't pick up on that."

She fidgets restlessly, presuming a lack of satisfaction on her interviewer's part, and licks her lips nervously her cheeks puffing up before she blows out a breath. She then perks up, and becomes a bit more animated as another thought comes to her.

"Oh! And I really like how you guys have your healthcare set up here! Back in the states? Well, let's just say I got really good at taking care of myself and nursing my own injuries at home. Because it wasn't like we could afford a trip to the emergency room every time my parents got too rough on me and it wasn't like we had insurance, or could afford the co-pay if we did. It's funny that now that I don't need it so much? It's everywhere and pretty readily available. Is that actually ironic or the song version of ironic which doesn't convey a real sense of irony?"

For a moment, a fleeting smile stretches over the girls face. It's a pretty smile, made more beautiful by its rarity. When she speaks again, it's with a tentative enthusiasm.

"This town's really pretty too, and y'know..." Her smile grows more shy, and she clams up some, her fidgeting renewed. When she finally finds her voice it aches out in a whisper, laced with fragile hope. "I really like my Aunt Jean... She's not around a lot, she's always working because she's some kind of engineer, but when she is around? She's.. she's really cool." Her voice chokes up some, and there's a hint of dampness in her eyes. She's started shaking and when she speaks her voice rattles off, pitched and nervous, "She's been trying to teach me how to code, says it's something everyone should know how to do, and she lets me stay up late. And..." Her voice breaks, and for a moment the young woman falls silent again, but it's a different kind of silence this time. After a moment, she composes herself and her thick voice continues, " She's never hit me, or yelled at me, not once..."

The timer rings, the session is over. Abigale gathers up her things and scurries from the room.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 6, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Ferrosol posted:

Jay

Q1: it sucks that your parents treat you like that. Still tell me about the last time you managed to make your dad proud of you?

Well, it's not like I'm good at much outside of my special gift. Sometimes, however, I'm pretty good at academic stuff sometimes. Mostly stuff to do with getting inside people's heads and things like that. Debating club after school is a lot easier when you're used to being other people. There was some competition a year or so ago where I won. I mean, I won't say that I won easily or fairly, but they don't put things they can't prove in any records. I definitely used my special set of skills to spend some time with the competition. One of the girls, Tamara, from the school not too far away, she still thinks I'm some genius debate weirdo. Anyways, all I did was impersonate a few of the competitors, and I found out what makes them work. Little things to put them on edge, make them uncomfortable and unable to focus. It's definitely not in the spirit of the competition, but I still wanted to do something worthwhile in my own skin.

Getting a ribbon was nice, but just hearing how I did a good job from my parents was amazing.

Ferrosol posted:

Q2: I see so there’s more kids out there who can do what you do. Have you ever met one of them? And what advice did they give you or what advice would you give them if you did meet?

I've met one other adoption like mine, name was Alex. We talked about it, she..well, he... well, she, was a few years older than me. Probably more if she wasn't in her current skin, but she didn't like talking about it. She definitely changed families at some point. I didn't ask her too much on the details, but there was something that I always remember her telling me. She told me that I shouldn't ever settle with what I've got, especially if it isn't exactly what I wanted. She talked about how our gift lets us do all sorts of things, and just use my imagination. I dunno, it felt really dangerous and while I like getting away, that's all just an escape, right? I mean, I know I -can- become someone else, like a new skin, but do I really want to do that? I mean, I guess it might be better. She did talk it up quite a bit.

Still, I mean, you have to be true to who you are. Whatever that is, that's how we were.. well, okay, I guess born's the wrong word, but we were where we were for a reason. I mean, that's right, right?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Ferrosol posted:

Zack

Q1: I’ve heard a few stories about you. Who did you attack at your last school? And what did they do to deserve it?

Q2: What’s been the most difficult thing for you to deal with now that your Mom and you actually have money? Did you meet anyone at those fancy clubs you went to with your step-dad who actually seemed to like you?

Man, let me tell you to not listen to tossers who don't anything about anything. So I got in a bit of a tumble at my old school, but no one know half the story. There was a teacher at my last school named "Mr. Holm," believe he was quite focused on that mister. He acted like it made him some god or something, and made him better than anyone. I don't want to talk nothing about no one, but I was having a bit of a squat in the locker room. Not something I fancy doing often, but I do do from time to time. I saw "Mr. Holm" start egging on these two loving chavs beating on my boy Robbie.

Now, I will be the first one admit that Robbie was a pretty stupid wanker. He always mouthed off when he wasn't supposed too, and that always got him in trouble. Now with normal people, they get this hint when they take things too far. But I swear Robbie would ask for a quid after getting a bob from someone. He always pushes his luck, and if his mouth didn't get him his stupid brain get it for him. I swear to god, he would try to rob a village bobby. Now I see these three chavs and Mr. Holm beating on Robbie, and I think to myself bollocks this isn't right at all.

I mean I am not the best angel in the choir let me tell you. I've done bad things and I've hurt some people, even when I don't mean too. Things go all brilliant I am sure for most of the people who didn't have to hide out in a gym at night, but I take it for what I got. It would have all gone swimmingly and maybe I would have just gotten another teacher, maybe I could have done something differently, but why lie to myself, I knew that was going to happen.

Who doesn't know when they are being a brilliant idiot?

No, I was happy to change then, and even more to not let back. The punches became claws and then they start screaming but those tossers deserved it. You see, when I was running up, I just saw Mr. Holm with his sleeves off revealing a black and red flag with a skull in tattoo , of Blood & Honour. I mean I know they are around and it is there though most of the white students would never say anything. To see it in person was almost too much and I felt my body just twist like with my anger. I just couldn't stop it, and then I am there and Robbie is in a bad way. Man, I didn't even know what happened before that, but I will tell you what, I hope they kicked me out cause that fat racist poo poo.

I hope he went to the hospital, now, I don't know because I always get moved into lock down on my dad. Gotta cover his own rear end don't he?

------------------------------------------

When I was a kid, there are times when I couldn't come home. Now, sometimes, it would because some drink got to my old man's head. You just made yourself scarce and hid and just wander on the street around. Sometimes you find a squat sometimes you find a "friend" that will put you up for one night. Other times you just go the places that everyone isn't. That is where my world, the place were people weren't. It exists in the corners of the world itself.

Every homeless man, every runaway, every pimp and bird has to exist somewhere but in the real world, the world were you get up and eat breakfast then get driven to school. The other kids couldn't live in that world, didn't have to live in the world that isn't. I did, it was my world and I survive, no one helped or allowed to survive that was all me. You have to have that pride and feel that assurance that you are there, not lost in some crazy hosed up place. It is what built my early days, it is how I remember Christmases and birthdays, and now, what? My dad gets busted, and what now my mom is cleaned up?

I saw what she was, on the couch high as a kite on some pills, I don't know man, never touched the stuff myself. Now she is all clean and with a rich man, and can give me anything I want. So she does like that is going to make up for something and poo poo. Like some loving tv and poo poo is going to make up for all those nights alone. I didn't care about any of the clothes or any of the bullshit that poo poo at all. She was a wanker, but I got over it, there any making it up. She won't be there when I needed her most, and really when are you supposed to have a ma? It is when that poo poo hits you full on the chest over and over, and she wasn't.

Can't Forgive her, and that is all on me.

On to better news, I hit up this lame, rich wife club or something with my ma, to talk to me about my hair and my headgear. You know how it goes, just letting the words fall on you like rain, and just letting it all just roll off like water off a ducks back. Well, I took a dash to the toilet and found the real section of that place. It is called this weird rear end name like "Whisper on the Rose" but either way in the back toward the bin and the rest of the poo poo, I found nice chap name of Marcus, he was kinda a bit scarce, he knew me and I knew him. I think we might hang out and get a beer sometime.

Either way, this place is just loving brilliant man.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth

Q1: So you're an Angel huh, Did you get to choose where you were reincarnated as this time? Or is it one of those "God works in mysterious ways." kind of deals? If you chose why here, why now? If the Lord chose did he give you any hint of what He expects from you this time?

Q2: Still it can't be easy to stick to all those rules. Tell me what happened the last time you sinned and how you atoned for it.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Ferrosol posted:

Elizabeth

Q1: So you're an Angel huh, Did you get to choose where you were reincarnated as this time? Or is it one of those "God works in mysterious ways." kind of deals? If you chose why here, why now? If the Lord chose did he give you any hint of what He expects from you this time?

I don't know if we get a choice. We don't keep many memories between lives, and I don't really know who my predecessor was. From what I have, I know that he was Chinese. He fought in the Civil War in the 30s, then he moved to Hong Kong where he must have lived for the rest of his life. If he made a choice when he died, I don't remember it. Maybe it's in God's hands.

So I can't tell you why I'm here in Sheffield now. If there's anything special about this place, I haven't worked it out yet. There's nothing special about me - Lizzie, that is. All I know is that the Lord wants me to live a righteous life, and He won't let me forget it. When I falter, I see flashes of other sins I've committed in other lives - opium dens, battlefields, prisons. They all gave up on Him, eventually. I think He's challenging me to do better than they did. Than I did. I don't think I've ever been a doctor, so that has to be worth a try. And certainly, everything's gone pretty well so far - school, volunteering, work experience... I don't know if it's what He wants, but He doesn't seem to be objecting.

quote:

Q2: Still it can't be easy to stick to all those rules. Tell me what happened the last time you sinned and how you atoned for it.

To be honest, it doesn't really feel like rules, so much as...standards, I guess? Drinking is fine, as long as I don't get too drunk which doesn't take much, admittedly, but still. I felt so guilty and ashamed for weeks after I snuck out and got my ears pierced, but I think that was more because I disobeyed my parents? On the other hand, I got so scared I was almost sick when I looked at a set of Tarot cards, so witchcraft is right out I suppose. It doesn't always make sense.

I'm lucky so far in that I've never been seriously tempted to do wrong, to myself or anyone else. It's having to always do right, every day without a break, that's harder. I used to go visit this old lady, Miss Cooper, on the weekends. She lived in this little council flat she kept absolutely immaculate and, well, it was tough. She was getting more and more confused by the end and it was so hard to talk to her when all I wanted was to be sleeping in on a Saturday morning so I started putting it off and, God, it was terrible. The guilt was eating me up when I came back to her flat a couple of weeks ago only for her neighbour to tell me she'd died a few days before. She'd died alone, thinking nobody cared about her, because I'd been lazy.

How do you atone for something like that? I brought flowers to her grave a couple of days ago. I've been praying for her a lot, which is something I don't do normally. I used to feel smug when she talked about God, like I knew so much more than she did and now...I don't know. I pray she rests in peace. What else can I do?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Right then picks are up. As usual the apps were of tremendous quality and I had a hard time picking between them. To those of you who didn't get in commiserations and there'll be more monsterhearts games along soon enough I'm sure.

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Lau the Angel Played by Gato
Felica Kelly the Unicorn Played by Kitty Empress
Jay Parker the Cuckoo Played by thelazyblank
Lydia Cinctus the Anasi Played by Lifegetsworser

You can't believe it. Some idiot managed to leave the taps running upstairs and your whole classroom is flooded and water damaged. It's gonna take forever to fix the damage. And until they do you're stuck being forced to squeeze into a tiny classroom with those jerks from Class 10H.

Tell me where you're going to sit and about another one of your classmates who sits with you

code:
         [Baker]
   A     B     C     D
1[Vanessa][Jayson][Edward ][Donna]
2[Sarah  ][Pippa ][Jessica][Darcy]
3[Lily   ][Elise ][Richard][Thom ]
4[Troy   ][Andy  ][Blake  ][Megan]
5[       ][      ][       ][     ] 
6[       ][      ][       ][     ]
Also work out your backstory strings with each other and the players already in the game. Plan is to finish up the current scene with the players already in and start a new scene with you guys and gals dropping in.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

And to top off Megan's problems, she's not even in the back row anymore!

(Glad to see some new PCs, welcome to Sheffield!)

Will be on IRC in 4-5 hours for Backstory discussion.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Alright, since I know you're likely aching to make the pun - yes, the water spout did wash me out. But I didn't even climb it, so it's really reaching isn't it?

Ian Fitzgerald is generally a very quiet little fly. Thin, unassuming, glasses. Likely an asthma inhaler judging by the scent around him. But when it was announced that our room had flooded and we were going to be stuck - for an undetermined amount of time - no less, with the class from 10H, his heart rate skyrocketed. I heard it across the hallway we were standing in at the time. I don't know if it is a matter of claustrophobia, or hydrophobia, or a phobia of someone or something in that room, but, well, suddenly the little fly has become very interesting. I waited for him to pick a seat before I picked mine. Fortunately, his choice of 5A left 5B for me. I offered him a smile in commiseration when I made my choice - he looked like he was about to pass out. "Don't forget your inhaler." I offered. He smiled.

Good, looks like things will work out well. At the very least it will be interesting.

code:
         [Baker]
   A     B     C     D
1[Vanessa][Jayson][Edward ][Donna]
2[Sarah  ][Pippa ][Jessica][Darcy]
3[Lily   ][Elise ][Richard][Thom ]
4[Troy   ][Andy  ][Blake  ][Megan]
5[Ian    ][Lydia ][       ][     ] 
6[       ][      ][       ][     ]

quote:

Backstory
One or more others have been in your web before. Take two Strings on someone, or one String on two someones.

Religion has become a very complicated topic for me since my metamorphosis. I rather doubt my origins, whatever they may be, conform to the Judeo-Christian-Islamic model of deity. So for the most part I avoid it. But since St. Andrews is a religious institution, to keep up appearances and to avoid uncomfortable questions I have made the pretense of deference to Christianity part of my human charade. This has brought Thomas Brody to my attention. He seems, at first blush, to be a rather unsurprising and uncomplicated little fly. But he is, as far as I can tell, very devout. When I first came to the school, he helped me with the proper gestures and ritual-speak. All it took was a small smile and the obvious confession that faith was new to me. I try to time my daily devotions to coincide with his at least a few times a week. I haven't, yet, decided what to do with him, but I do know I have decided to keep my eyes on him. And now we're sharing a class, which is very convenient. (Taking a string on Thom.)

Donna Wharncliffe...she is not an insect. She is not like me, she smells of an old fire and coldness both, but she is most certainly a predator, and I can respect that. This, of course, piqued my curiosity. As I said before, spiders are often cannibals, so I wanted to see if, even if she was not an insect, she could still be prey. I have watched her for some time. I realized that she enjoys jewelry, small bits of metal and precious stones - but only rare things. So kept my eyes out for an appropriate situation. Eventually, a curious little bauble came into a schoolmate's possession. It was a necklace, something with an engraving and a blue stone that caught the light very nicely. Certainly unique. Certainly the sort of thing Donna enjoys, judging by her face when she saw it in the cafeteria. I convinced the other student to part with it - I am not foolish enough to avoid my feminine wiles when they can be used to my advantage (though I'd never think to sully myself with mammalian filth). Three days of attention with the girl who had the necklace, and I had an opportunity to convince her to part with it. After that, I broke things off with her. I wear it whenever I think Donna may be nearby. I suppose I will be wearing it more frequently now. (taking a string on Donna)

Your bizarre antics are well known. Everyone gains a String on you.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 7, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

More people! :swoon: Maybe I can actually get some strings on someone for once.

Glad to have you all aboard, feel free to feed Thom strings throw connection ideas at me here or on IRC (#brithearts or #swampthings). Thom's an odd duck, but he's social enough. Especially if your character's churchy.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

code:
         [Baker]
   A     B     C     D
1[Vanessa][Jayson][Edward ][Donna  ]
2[Sarah  ][Pippa ][Jessica][Darcy  ]
3[Lily   ][Elise ][Richard][Thom   ]
4[Troy   ][Andy  ][Blake  ][Megan  ]
5[Ian    ][Lydia ][       ][Felicia] 
6[       ][      ][Nadifa ][       ]
Felicia is very sad she can no longer be in the very front row. She had always been in the front row, in every class, ever.

Nadifa just happened to be added to the class after the incident, which Felicia is happy for, because she views them as friends after the incident with gym clothes, though they aren't in actuality too close. Nadifa didn't choose to sit next to Felicia, for one reason or another.

quote:

Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.

Lydia is after Felicia's diary, but so far has only managed to take a single page from it, that got torn out on accident during the confusion of switching classes.

It reads -

quote:

I'm starting to get really worried that Ms. Bennett knows about or at least suspects something about me. She hasn't said anything, but she kept me after class today, just to ask me if everything was alright and to make sure nothing was wrong that I wanted to talk about. I told her I was fine and she left it alone, but, well... I don't know, I certainly hope she doesn't push further, I don't want to lie to her but I can't just tell her! What would she think of me?

quote:

Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Donna Wharncliffe, she uh, she cornered me one time and told me that I was special, and that she liked me. I, oh goodness, well it's really embarrassing. I-I barely know her, but I know she's maybe not always the nicest? But I know how peer pressure can be, and surely if she likes me she will be able to get better? I'll just have to help her be nicer! But oh goodness, I don't even know if I like her back, I've never liked someone... I guess she's cute, though? Is it odd if I like girls? I mean the teachers will probably judge me... though my dad always said that it's fine to be who you are, including like that so... oh goodness...

If anyone wants to use Charles as their other classmate, that'd be fun ;)

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 7, 2015

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
thatbastardken, if you are agreeable to it, I would like to take a string on Donna, as I imagine she and Lydia have butted heads over wanting things before. Maybe they both wanted the same thing or person and Donna ended up caught in a Lydia Agenda without meaning to?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

code:
         [Baker]
   A     B     C     D
5[Ian    ][Lydia ][Lizzie ][Felicia] 
6[       ][      ][Nadifa ][Charles]
Lizzie will sit with Felicia in what passes for a front row, of course.

Charles Marshall is a rich, dumb, racist bully. He was such a dickhead to Felicia that time at lunch, so of course he's ended up sitting behind her. Fantastic.

quote:

The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Donna has everything - she's rich, she's successful, she's got half the school wrapped around her little finger, including the teachers. I don't know if she's ever done anything nice for anyone in her life. You can tell by the way she looks at people, so cold and calculating and...ugh. Why do good things happen to bad people?

quote:

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

Felicia is…where do I start? She’s really, really, actually nice and she’s a good friend and all but God, she doesn’t make it easy. She’s so… judgmental! There’s more to being good than following rules! …isn’t there?
…am I like that?

Gato fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 7, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

code:
         [Baker]
   A     B     C     D
5[Ian    ][Lydia ][Lizzie ][Felicia] 
6[Mark   ][Jay   ][Nadifa ][Charles]
Jay sits in the back, but not at the corners. That's a place where it's pretty easy to notice when you're gone.

Mark Barnes is pretty much your typical above-average student, in nearly every single way. He has a bunch of friends, but isn't the most popular kid in school. He does well on exams, but never top three. He studies enough, but still finds time for sport clubs, where he achieves some level of success but isn't looking like he's going to go anywhere big. He's pleasant but not exactly interesting.

quote:

You've stolen an outfit from someone. Record it under "Outfits," and gain a String on that person.

I'm not proud of it, but given how Lydia seems to be about her stuff, I just couldn't help it. It was extra clothes, anyways, not like she was going to have to run around school naked or something. I'm not -cruel-.

quote:

Someone gave you an outfit so that you could impersonate them - discuss with them and decide why. Record it under "Outfits," and you each get a String on one another.

Back when we were in different classes, Megan wanted some time away from people. I told her I could make sure she'd make attendance and everything, and all she had to do was give me something to wear of hers. Pretty simple, really. And my old teacher didn't exactly pay much attention, anyways. Let the whole room get destroyed with water.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 7, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

This is a weird question, but can I ask for like, general heights your guy's characters are, so I know when writing? It always helps me.

For example, Felicia is really small - like, 142~ish cm, which is like, 4'7"~ish if I'm correct. She has to look up at basically everyone. She might, if she's lucky, get to be about 4'10" by the time she stops growing.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thom's like... 5'10 or so? Tall enough to stand out, but not like, absurdly tall or anything. Awkward gangly boy-tall.

e: maybe 5'8, i dunno. heights

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 7, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Megan's about 5'1" or so. She slouches a lot, so she probably comes across as shorter than she actually is.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I'm thinking Jay's like 5'6". Short but not tiny.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

LifeGetsWorser posted:

thatbastardken, if you are agreeable to it, I would like to take a string on Donna, as I imagine she and Lydia have butted heads over wanting things before. Maybe they both wanted the same thing or person and Donna ended up caught in a Lydia Agenda without meaning to?

Sure thing.

Donna is probably only about 5'2", but she tends to stand up straight and look down her nose at people so she seems taller.

Felicia Kelly - Treasure. I am embarrassingly infatuated with Felicia. I don't really remember how or why it happened, but she's just so...perfect. A gem of the finest water, as they used to say. I want to lock her away somewhere and keep her all to myself forever. Gain a string on Donna.

Lydia Cinctus - Treasure. Lydia came to my attention with the way she handled the little problem she had with Simon Browne. Subtle, but effective. Acting on her own initiative. Potentially a big problem, but I admire that. Gain a string on Donna

Jay Parker - Merely Currency. Please describe something off-putting Donna has said to you. Donna gains a string on you

Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Lau - Merely Currency. Please describe something off-putting Donna has said to you. Donna gains a string on you

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 7, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Jessica is fairly tall, about 5' 8" - 5' 9".

She is also pretty, and so gains a string on everyone.

If someone wants to take having saved her life somehow, I'm fine with swapping that since Pippa is gone, otherwise NPC Pippa can keep that claim.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

I wouldn't mind having stolen a token on one of you if someone feels like volunteering for that - my only token*'s on a Chosen that is now sadly an NPC, so that's not exactly ideal.

*I burned one on Jessica, it ended way worse for me than it did her, so don't be scared.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Steal things from Felicia! Take strings on Felicia! Do whatever you want!

She's here to be beaten up and made to cry anyways.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lydia's about 5'4"ish, and willowy, long limbs but not gangly. She'll probably be pretty tall when she's done growing.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

thatbastardken posted:

Jay Parker - Merely Currency. Please describe something off-putting Donna has said to you. Donna gains a string on you

She said something about me being some kind of poor lowlife. And not like in a way that meant she felt sorry about me! I don't know what she's talking about, though. It's not like I go around taking things from people without them knowi..

Oh, well, I'm not poor! My family is completely.. middle-class?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

Elizabeth ‘Lizzie’ Lau - Merely Currency. Please describe something off-putting Donna has said to you. Donna gains a string on you

I've complained about Donna already, haven't I?Anyway, there was this time I tried wearing a cross, to see if I felt any...I don't know, closer to God or something? I kept seeing Donna glancing at it whenever we passed in the corridor. Then after school, she just plants herself in my way and stares at my neck. So I ask her if she likes the cross, and she called it, I quote, a 'cheap piece of brass!' I mean, she was right, but...not everyone's got a treasure chest filled with absolutely gorgeous jewelry! I didn't wear the cross again though.

(thebastardken, I hope you don't mind if I use Donna for the other half of my backstory, she seems like the sort of person Lizzie would instantly dislike...)

quote:

heights

Lizzie is about 5' 2-3", and will probably top out a couple of inches taller. Taller than average for a Cantonese person, but she's not going to be towering over anyone.

Gato fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 7, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Highlights time and then we'll finish the current scene and bring in the new people.

Donna Highlight Jessica
Felica Highlight Donna
Thom Highlight Megan
Jessica Highlight Thom
Lydia highlight Felica
Megan Highlight Jay
Lizzy Highlight Lydia
Jay Highlight Lizzy

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 7, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Megan, once you realize you've been jerked around I imagine you'll feel pretty volatile, y'know?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Felicia, you seem so sweet and innocent. But we all have our Dark secrets. Won't you show me yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sorry Donna but if you're gonna be in love, you better be able to get her Hot.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 8, 2015

• Locked thread