Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

jardine was a treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Foul Fowl posted:

jardine was a treasure

I mostly unironically liked Jardine, and I was unironically sad when he was cut.

e. is Bader the new Keith Jardine, perhaps on a wrestling model instead? Good enough to be a threat to anyone in the division, has wins over top guys, but will never be the top guy and probably never get a title shot? Gets KOd in hilarious ways with enough frequency to make his fights worth watching? I guess the counterpoint is that Jardine's fights were often cool when he was winning them....

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 23, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
nah bader is josh koscheck with the career surge rear end about face.

it is unbelieveable someone that can only wrestle but strikes like poo poo can be as relevant as he is today; taking us back to the discussion about lhw being the worst division talent wise

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
It's the clock that makes this. My brains wants to believe it's a 1/2 second loop but noooope.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Someone post the .gif of Horedeki turning to run, taking two steps and getting perfectly head-kicked.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Xguard86 posted:

Someone post the .gif of Horedeki turning to run, taking two steps and getting perfectly head-kicked.

You mean the birth of the Knockout Game?

http://gfycat.com/TallFreeDinosaur

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LobsterMobster posted:

Where did he think he was gonna run to, though.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Are you making the assumption that guy knew where he was and what he was doing? Maybe not.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How long did it take for UFC to go from a bunch of clowns getting clowned on by the two people on the show who knew how to grapple to something resembling an even competition and how many Gracies were sacrificed to the moon god to make this happen?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Luigi Thirty posted:

How long did it take for UFC to go from a bunch of clowns getting clowned on by the two people on the show who knew how to grapple to something resembling an even competition and how many Gracies were sacrificed to the moon god to make this happen?

It was good by UFC 17.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
I don't know where else to post this since I can't find a thread for the playing of sports, just the watching of them. (I guess goons aren't very active?). Anyways, girlfriend expressed interest in doing a kickboxing class or getting some boxing gloves for at home to beat up things, relieve stress and get exercise. I figured maybe I'd get her some gloves and some focus pads and we could start there. If that works out maybe I can get a heavy bag for the garage eventually. I went down to the sporting goods store, but god drat there were too many choices. I don't know what to buy. Keep in mind we are just doing this for fun and exercise. We aren't actually trying to train to fight here.

Should I get her actual boxing gloves or those UFC finger gloves? Do they really need to be "womans gloves"? How many ounces should they be? And the mits are hard to figure out as well. I just want regular "focus mitts" right?

I'm thinking we should probably watch some kind of instructional video before we start flailing around like retards with these things. She has no idea what shes doing yet, and I don't know much more than the difference between a jab and a cross.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I don't know where else to post this since I can't find a thread for the playing of sports, just the watching of them. (I guess goons aren't very active?). Anyways, girlfriend expressed interest in doing a kickboxing class or getting some boxing gloves for at home to beat up things, relieve stress and get exercise. I figured maybe I'd get her some gloves and some focus pads and we could start there. If that works out maybe I can get a heavy bag for the garage eventually. I went down to the sporting goods store, but god drat there were too many choices. I don't know what to buy. Keep in mind we are just doing this for fun and exercise. We aren't actually trying to train to fight here.

Should I get her actual boxing gloves or those UFC finger gloves? Do they really need to be "womans gloves"? How many ounces should they be? And the mits are hard to figure out as well. I just want regular "focus mitts" right?

I'm thinking we should probably watch some kind of instructional video before we start flailing around like retards with these things. She has no idea what shes doing yet, and I don't know much more than the difference between a jab and a cross.

There's this thread where you'll get more help:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544
If you want to mess around, that's fine, but please please please get handwraps and learn how to put them on.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

There is a retty good general pupouse martial arts thread in ask/tell for questions like this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

If she just wants to hit pads and maybe a eavy bag I'd start with just some cheap bag gloves. MMA gloves are only useful if you want to grapple with gloves on. For pure striking they have no real advantage. They will protect your hands less than boxing gloves.

Edit: And yeah, learning how to wrap hands is a good idea.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

- no reason to get UFC/MMA gloves unless youre grappling and need to articulate your fingers, get boxing gloves
- theres no difference between womens and mens gloves as long as they fit her
- the point of gloves is to protect your hands, the size of the gloves depends on how much padding you need for how hard youre hitting/what youre hitting. hitting focus mitts you barely even need gloves, you arent gonna break your hand on a focus mitt (you need handwraps though which are more important than gloves), then hitting the bag you need slightly bigger bag gloves, sparring you need bigger sparring gloves etc

- you should try out some free trial classes or something at a boxing gym or kickboxing place to give yourself some direction, its hard to learn solely from instructional vids with 0 experience. not just in terms of "learning how to actually fight" but without supervision and correction youll probably follow the path of least resistance and ingrain lazy habits which will make you a) not have as good of a workout and b) suck at fighting

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

manyak posted:

- no reason to get UFC/MMA gloves unless youre grappling and need to articulate your fingers, get boxing gloves
- theres no difference between womens and mens gloves as long as they fit her
- the point of gloves is to protect your hands, the size of the gloves depends on how much padding you need for how hard youre hitting/what youre hitting. hitting focus mitts you barely even need gloves, you arent gonna break your hand on a focus mitt (you need handwraps though which are more important than gloves), then hitting the bag you need slightly bigger bag gloves, sparring you need bigger sparring gloves etc

- you should try out some free trial classes or something at a boxing gym or kickboxing place to give yourself some direction, its hard to learn solely from instructional vids with 0 experience. not just in terms of "learning how to actually fight" but without supervision and correction youll probably follow the path of least resistance and ingrain lazy habits which will make you a) not have as good of a workout and b) suck at fighting

Yeah. An introductory class (which should be free, even if a per-class price is listed just ask the instructor and they'll probably let you try one for free) can show you a lot.

There really is a great deal that goes into throwing even a basic punch. Going to even one class can help show you how little you know about a seemingly basic thing, and might better get you in a mindset to really start from square one.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

LobsterMobster posted:

bingo <3.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Also a whole bunch of goons in PSP's MMA threads have trained anywhere from the "tooks classes" sense to the "has some fights" sense. We are always glad to help in the grappling threads and poo poo.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
Just get basic 16oz boxing gloves and hand wraps. That should cover all your bases for pads, heavy bag, and light sparring. Really though, for pad hitting, as manyak said, all you would need is handwraps.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Not getting any instruction, strapping on MMA gloves and hitting a heavy bag as hard as you can is a good recipe for broken hands

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thanks Greg Jackson.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I watched Smackdown last week, for the first time in years. What the gently caress happened to WWE and what company do I want to watch if I want actual good wrestling?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So I watched Smackdown last week, for the first time in years. What the gently caress happened to WWE and what company do I want to watch if I want actual good wrestling?

Wrong thread, this is for actual combat sports but the answer is still Lucha Underground

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
When watching kickboxing, or the stand up in MMA, I have found I tend to not be able to keep up with the action on both sides objectively. My mind naturally just focuses on one fighters actions I think.

When watching these kinds of fights is there some sort of better place to train my eyes to watch to see both sides of the action more objectively? What are you guys usually focused on during these types of scenarios?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I guess I just usually just watch the space in between them and then follow strikes as they come, or I quickly go back and forth. Never really thought about it though. If 1 guys is losing bad though I'll usually watch him because he's getting hit.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've concentrated on watching striking exchanges over the past couple years, and have improved a lot. Partially from training, but also from watching differently.

It doesn't really help for live viewing, but I really enjoy watching fights or exchanges in super-slow motion. Feints, telegraphed strikes, reaction times and the like become way more clear at slow speed. Watching them at slow speed to understand them, then at higher speed to get your eye used to it can be handy.

To find what strikes land I've found looking at the heads is often good. I can't always see if a punch lands, but seeing the head jerk back (or suddenly halt when ducking or moving) can indicate how powerful a blow is.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

One thing I like to do is watch the fight again after I know how it ends. Take Werdum/JDS. About 10 seconds before the knockout, JDS drops his level and takes a step forward. When he does this, Werdum lowers down too and ducks his head. So 10 seconds later JDS does the same level change and step, and then throws the uppercut which Werdum ducks right into and takes his head off.

If you have fightpass do this with a bunch of fights (or don't, I happen to enjoy it though) and you will understand striking a lot more and sometimes will be able to see things coming in a live fight.

Also sometimes you have to ignore Joe Rogan. To use JDS as an example again, when he fought Stipe Miocic Stipe comes forward throwing big shots which either don't land or don't seem to bother Junior, while JDS lands quick counters while moving backward which visibly wobble Stipe. Joe Rogan screams "Devastating shots by Stipe! Junior's hurt!"

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 6, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pwny_Xpress posted:

When watching kickboxing, or the stand up in MMA, I have found I tend to not be able to keep up with the action on both sides objectively. My mind naturally just focuses on one fighters actions I think.

When watching these kinds of fights is there some sort of better place to train my eyes to watch to see both sides of the action more objectively? What are you guys usually focused on during these types of scenarios?

You don't have to be watching the two fighters the same way to be objective. If one guy is pressing the action, and the other is retreating and defending, you don't need to be looking at both's offensive output the whole time. You can pick roles that the fighters' gameplans are molding them into during the fight, and gauge the actions taken in the context of those roles. That's a bit oversimplified.

As a start, watch the interaction of the feet and their motion over the cage / ring.
Are both fighters stepping forward and backward equally?
Is one fighter continually moving forward?
When one fighter goes forward, does he step with both feet, or does he lunge with only his front foot? How does he reset? Do his feints show the same footwork as his real strikes?
How does his opponent react? Does he step straight back? Always off to one side? Does he match distance in his retreat, or maybe goes back half a step and throws a counter?

By looking at the footwork, you can judge how each fighter is trying to dictate the range and pace of the fight to their own terms. You can also see to what degree they are succeeding with their gameplan.

A counterfighter like Machida will never stop moving. He might not move frequently or spastically, but he will always move where he wants to. He avoids getting penned up on the cage and moves aggressively away from anticipated long engagements, avoiding brawls.

Someone like Leben continually half steps toward his opponent, turning whenever his opponent moves offline. Once they're in range, a steady stream of strikes come out. Repeat until one or the other party has been stopped.

Shogun (just one more example) likes to come right into his pocket range and go into that Muay Thai guard with narrow stance, looking to land long punches and kicks. He can either exchange one strike at a time or brawl or clinch. He's not that mobile on his feet once in range, though some of his kick combinations can bring him forward. He has very limited footwork for moving back, usually just shelling up and stepping straight back slowly, which is where a lot of guys nab the takedown on him.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

kimbo305 posted:

When one fighter goes forward, does he step with both feet, or does he lunge with only his front foot? How does he reset? Do his feints show the same footwork as his real strikes?

loving truth. Good footwork is drat hard to come by and when you start to pick up on the deference between good and bad footwork it can open up how you view a fight.

I also love seeing someone with good hands actually display good posture in their striking. So many MMA guys neglect form and sloppily throw their whole upper body into strikes trying to generate more power, which isn't how it works. Rampages most valuable contribution to the sport was when he was asked how he generated power and he said, "I put my rear end into it."

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

You don't have to be watching the two fighters the same way to be objective. If one guy is pressing the action, and the other is retreating and defending, you don't need to be looking at both's offensive output the whole time. You can pick roles that the fighters' gameplans are molding them into during the fight, and gauge the actions taken in the context of those roles. That's a bit oversimplified.

As a start, watch the interaction of the feet and their motion over the cage / ring.
Are both fighters stepping forward and backward equally?
Is one fighter continually moving forward?
How does his opponent react? Does he step straight back? Always off to one side? Does he match distance in his retreat, or maybe goes back half a step and throws a counter?

By looking at the footwork, you can judge how each fighter is trying to dictate the range and pace of the fight to their own terms. You can also see to what degree they are succeeding with their gameplan.

A counterfighter like Machida will never stop moving. He might not move frequently or spastically, but he will always move where he wants to. He avoids getting penned up on the cage and moves aggressively away from anticipated long engagements, avoiding brawls.

Someone like Leben continually half steps toward his opponent, turning whenever his opponent moves offline. Once they're in range, a steady stream of strikes come out. Repeat until one or the other party has been stopped.

Shogun (just one more example) likes to come right into his pocket range and go into that Muay Thai guard with narrow stance, looking to land long punches and kicks. He can either exchange one strike at a time or brawl or clinch. He's not that mobile on his feet once in range, though some of his kick combinations can bring him forward. He has very limited footwork for moving back, usually just shelling up and stepping straight back slowly, which is where a lot of guys nab the takedown on him.

This is a good post, I'll look more at footwork in that way.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Another fun rule is generally each guy wants to angle where they are standing closer to their opponents back and farther from the back hand/leg. So orthodox vs orthodox that would be slightly to the right of the opponents lead foot. This means you can hit straighter (aka faster and harder) while denying the opponent that ability.

Often almost the entire fight is contesting for the dominant angle. Everything else is just a result.

And then sometimes you see guys break this rule for various reasons and that's interesting too.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah the big thing everyone talks about in orthodox vs. southpaw is getting your lead foot outside your opponents, because it opens up your rear cross. This is absolutely true and something to watch for, but also you can step inside of their lead foot and crack them with a lead hook. It's a little more advanced and people don't notice it as much. Pacquaio does it all the time.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Yeah the big thing everyone talks about in orthodox vs. southpaw is getting your lead foot outside your opponents, because it opens up your rear cross. This is absolutely true and something to watch for, but also you can step inside of their lead foot and crack them with a lead hook. It's a little more advanced and people don't notice it as much. Pacquaio does it all the time.

Ward did this to the extreme vs Dawson; he stepped inside and hit him with left hooks all night.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dangersim posted:

Yeah the big thing everyone talks about in orthodox vs. southpaw is getting your lead foot outside your opponents, because it opens up your rear cross. This is absolutely true and something to watch for
This is more true for boxing that kickboxing. The more you kick and have to defend kicks, the less mobile your footwork becomes. There's many kicking options to discourage trying to step to the outside of the front foot. Also, the kickboxing stance is narrower. Coupled with a longer range, there's more open ground between the two opponents' front feet.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
How is it determined which fighters get points for being Cool MMA Dads given how many of them are, well, dads? Obviously the Jon Jones of the world aren't going to get any fatherhood cred, but I'm curious about Coleman. After watching various Countdown and Embedded videos it seems like there are a lot of Dadtastic fighters.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ditch posted:

How is it determined which fighters get points for being Cool MMA Dads given how many of them are, well, dads? Obviously the Jon Jones of the world aren't going to get any fatherhood cred, but I'm curious about Coleman. After watching various Countdown and Embedded videos it seems like there are a lot of Dadtastic fighters.

Same way someone gets MMM status.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
MMA newbie here. I was reading this article on Sakuraba, and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the video promo described here:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/an-ode-to-kazushi-sakuraba

quote:

Sakuraba’s next opponent would be the undefeated god of cage fighting, the pioneer, the Adam of MMA, Royce Gracie.

The promo Pride cut for Royce vs Sakuraba was priceless. It showed the Grandmaster, Helio Gracie, sitting in a chair, in a business suit, watching Royler lose to Sakuraba, Helio’s expression was stoic and emotionless. Then it cut to a view of a beach, presumably in Brazil, with the Grandmaster looking out in the distance. Far away one could see the figures of what appeared like three men jogging and, as it came into focus, you saw who the center man was: Royce Gracie! Having been away from the octagon for six years, the undefeated Royce Gracie was finally coming back to fight Sakuraba, to avenge the family honor. Like an ancient Near Eastern god, choosing a champion in the divine council, the montage conveyed a feeling that Royce was chosen by the wise Grandmaster, to defend Mt. Olympus.

I'm assuming this was for Pride Grand Prix 2000?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Why does Jeff Jarrett have so much money? he lost the good housekeeping match to Chyna and now he owns TNA or something?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cubone posted:

Why does Jeff Jarrett have so much money? he lost the good housekeeping match to Chyna and now he owns TNA or something?

He's not super rich by wrestler standards but he got big money from WCW (then nearly lost everything in 2 months with TNA) and had Dixie Carter paying him good money for 10 years as TNA lost a fortune. He's not an MMA fighter thus he isn't broke.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'd like to follow Muay Thai more, is there a PSP thread for it? I looked previously but couldn't find it because maybe it has a strange name? Outside of that what are the best promotions to follow? It seems a very interesting sport I am just not sure how to start following. I am so dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

I'd like to follow Muay Thai more, is there a PSP thread for it? I looked previously but couldn't find it because maybe it has a strange name? Outside of that what are the best promotions to follow? It seems a very interesting sport I am just not sure how to start following. I am so dumb

Muay Thai is really hard to follow because the actual legit stuff is all on lovely Thai TV streams and there's a whole lot of it, much of which is boring, and it's really hard to contextualise who is who and what is what. If you find someone super hardcore who actually follows all the results from Thailand the chances are they actually fight for a living, there's very few people outside of Thailand who follow all the stadium stuff recreationally.

Anyway, Muay Thai TV has you covered with schedules and streams: http://www.muaythaitv.com/thai-tv/

If you want to post about it, just do it in the kickboxing and Dutch organised crime thread