Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

projecthalaxy posted:

Are the announcers/commentators as much of a part of the show in Japan as they are here, in the sense that they are characters in the show themselves? I know they treat it a lot more like a sport, so do you have interchangeable talking heads or are there famous beloved announcers like JR or Solie?

There are famous beloved announcers in real sports too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikeguy posted:

When was the first World Title change on Raw and Nitro? I was originally going to ask when was the first televised (non-ppv) world title change but I'm pretty sure that was Hogan v Andre at WWE Main Event.

The earliest one was probably Thesz's International Title when Rikidozan won it in 58.

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

Are there any examples of someone shoot winning/leaving in WCW or WWE? A time when a wrestler decided they were going to win and changes the finish, or even just walks off to not eat a pin/submission.
I know TNA has the time Sting finishes the match against Jeff Hardy early by forcing a pin.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Blankspot posted:

Are there any examples of someone shoot winning/leaving in WCW or WWE? A time when a wrestler decided they were going to win and changes the finish, or even just walks off to not eat a pin/submission.
I know TNA has the time Sting finishes the match against Jeff Hardy early by forcing a pin.

sting did not decide to end that match early on his own eric bischoff comes out before the bell to stall for time and pass along the new finish to jeff and sting

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

oatgan posted:

sting did not decide to end that match early on his own eric bischoff comes out before the bell to stall for time and pass along the new finish to jeff and sting

Here's a question where the answer seems obvious: Was there a reason why they didn't overbook something like having another person challenge immediately afterwards to have some kind of actual match for the main event? Some way to at least try to make the people who ordered the PPV happy?

I mean outside of "it's loving TNA." Did Sting have something in his contract about agreeing to opponents ahead of time?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The answer was literally "It's TNA".

They had to give out refunds and Sting was very, very pissed about the match.

The crowd chanted "Bullshit" and the final moment of the PPV was Sting yelling to the crowd "I agree!".

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I've obviously missed something, why was was the Curb Stomp suddenly banned?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
does anyone have a video of Samoa Joe doing the spot where someone goes to flip off the top rope and he just walks out of the way like the smartest man in wrestling.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Onmi posted:

does anyone have a video of Samoa Joe doing the spot where someone goes to flip off the top rope and he just walks out of the way like the smartest man in wrestling.

https://youtu.be/wwpZ-6vfN80?t=145

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Onmi posted:

Kevin Steen did this a lot too. He would have this completely nonchalant look on his face and I loved it.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Where is his dick face paint?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hahaha that was perfect.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Kevin Steen did this a lot too. He would have this completely nonchalant look on his face and I loved it.

He plays a perfect enormous prick (and loving father) and I can totally imagine this.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blankspot posted:

Gail Kim eliminated herself from a WWE battle royal the night she was leaving the company so she didn't look weak

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Would you happen to be able to find a video of it to?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Gail Kim eliminated herself from a WWE battle royal the night she was leaving the company so she didn't look weak

She was told to get eliminated but claims she was never told how or when so she just went under the bottom rope to see if anyone noticed, not so she didn't look weak.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

She was told to get eliminated but claims she was never told how or when so she just went under the bottom rope to see if anyone noticed, not so she didn't look weak.

And no one noticed, right?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

And no one noticed, right?

No one in the match noticed, yeah. I vaguely remember the GDT being like 'hey what happened to Gail' though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I see TNA does the "Zoom in on a move" crap as well. Learning from the best!

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I see TNA does the "Zoom in on a move" crap as well. Learning from the best!

It's a thing that WWE does, so of course they do it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So how is it that the US title can be defended in Canada? Isn't the point supposed to be you are the best in the US? If you lose in Canada, you're just not the best in the world, but since you aren't the world champion, why would you lose your title?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sub Rosa posted:

So how is it that the US title can be defended in Canada? Isn't the point supposed to be you are the best in the US? If you lose in Canada, you're just not the best in the world, but since you aren't the world champion, why would you lose your title?

If you're the best of the US, why wouldn't you be able to defend it outside of the country?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sub Rosa posted:

I think WCW Canadian Champion Lance Storm might have some words about this.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's fun watching Lucha Underground where they don't do the stupid camera zoom (they pan the camera around in a circle instead) and how much less headache inducing it is.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Sub Rosa posted:

yeah and why were the WCW/ECW TV titles defended on house shows

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

MassRafTer posted:

That blows my mind, though. How can you be a working pro wrestler for multiple years and not think to just get someone in a collar and elbow and go "clothesline over the top" or something? Unless she just really didn't give a poo poo.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Under the vegetable posted:

That blows my mind, though. How can you be a working pro wrestler for multiple years and not think to just get someone in a collar and elbow and go "clothesline over the top" or something? Unless she just really didn't give a poo poo.

She really just didn't give a poo poo, from what I've heard.

Was it Justin Gabriel who took off in the middle of a tour and it took them a while to notice he was missing?

WWE has a way of giving talented wrestlers a complex.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sub Rosa posted:

How is it that the Toronto Blue Jays play in the American League? Why are the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC East? How does the National Hockey League cross international borders?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Guys, guys! Isn't this line of questioning a little facetious? You're implying a very bold claim in which one assumes that the midcard belts actually matter. Think about it.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

triplexpac posted:

Was it Justin Gabriel who took off in the middle of a tour and it took them a while to notice he was missing?

WWE has a way of giving talented wrestlers a complex.

I know that Nathan Jones used a WWE tour that went to Australia as an excuse to get them to foot the bill for his flight home before he quit.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

How is it that the Toronto Blue Jays play in the American League? Why are the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC East? How does the National Hockey League cross international borders?

american league just implies the american continent

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Guys, guys! Isn't this line of questioning a little facetious? You're implying a very bold claim in which one assumes that the midcard belts actually matter. Think about it.
Pretty sure the US Title is the top belt.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

triplexpac posted:

The deal with Gabriel was that he went to every Raw and Smackdown, didn't get to do anything (not even dark matches) and after a couple of weeks decided "gently caress it, I'm going skydiving", someone from creative called him after he had already jumped to ask where the hell he was, and he decided then to just not bother with WWE anymore.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Gabriel was on Raw and Smackdown all the time. He was the Bunny.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Blankspot posted:

Mil Mascaras eliminating himself from the '97 Rumble has to be seen to be believed.

He did a top rope plancha on a guy he just eliminated, then rolled back in the ring. The referees "explained" to him that he was out. (If you think this was an honest mistake, bear in mind that Mil Mascaras has the biggest ego in the history of wrestling. Like, Hogan and Warrior and HHH combined.)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Even better, when he didn't show up they called to go "Well, we totally were planning to use you in a big way tonight!"

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Halloween Jack posted:

Mil Mascaras eliminating himself from the '97 Rumble has to be seen to be believed.

He did a top rope plancha on a guy he just eliminated, then rolled back in the ring. The referees "explained" to him that he was out. (If you think this was an honest mistake, bear in mind that Mil Mascaras has the biggest ego in the history of wrestling. Like, Hogan and Warrior and HHH combined.)

"Better to be a complete idiot than look 'weak' because someone was able to get me over the top rope."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Under the vegetable posted:

Diva battle royals don't even have to go over the top, just leave the ring at all to be eliminated. So yeah, she just didn't give a poo poo.

Germansimp posted:

The deal with Gabriel was that he went to every Raw and Smackdown, didn't get to do anything (not even dark matches) and after a couple of weeks decided "gently caress it, I'm going skydiving", someone from creative called him after he had already jumped to ask where the hell he was, and he decided then to just not bother with WWE anymore.

Gabriel wrestled on Main Event and Superstars almost weekly, which are taped at Raw/Smackdown. Creative had nothing for him, but apparently C-show random match bookers did. He actually had a pretty great trilogy of matches with Sin Cara on Superstars shortly before he left and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who watched all three.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Blankspot, I forgot about Kurt Angle shooting on Daniel Puder and Chris Nowinski, two Tough Enough competitors. He decided to work them over in an unscripted segment. That's probably the worst example of deliberately shooting on someone in WWE.

Another time was when jobber Mike Bell accidentally dropped Perry Saturn on his head twice doing a couple very simple moves. Saturn snapped, beat on Bell, and threw him out of the ring right onto his head. Saturn has since said that he wasn't trying to shoot on Bell, Bell just knocked him so silly he didn't know where he was, and he threw him out of the ring to get a minute to figure out what was going on.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 6, 2015

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I like how that story went from "It was booked as an amateur wrestling segment, but Puder shot on Angle with a kimura & Angle hastily stacked Puder up for a pinfall" to "Angle was taking liberties with multiple rookies until the valiant BJJ Black Belt Daniel Puder made him look foolish in front of the world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

In 92 Savage jumped over the top and it *didn't* count as an elimination. I demand an explanation from the board of directors.