Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

every post mr. bibs has made in this thread has been throwing a tantrum about the game and defending saban

the rider route is legit as hell btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Made the resulting product less of a ripoff and more of a parody, as was supposedly intended. Also, has the benefit of not having a big neon sign saying 'Sue Us' on it.
oh poo poo, you're ripping off my post! here's a lawsuit, motherfucker

oh, you could have avoided it

remove all those, uh, words, you used to make the post

also the avatar, that's gotta go. it's got a face in it. maybe you could make your avatar, like, a leg or something instead? spitballing here

misterbibs and endorph both have an e in them, so if you could make your name misturbibs, that'd be great

just a few small changes and this could be well on the side of parody

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

So? It doesn't matter. The existing Chroma Squad is already well on the side of parody. This is the thing you continue to ignore.

It clearly does matter, because of a non-inevitable outcome that is directly a result of the developers making more Direct Ripoff cues than Parody cues.

Sell a parody, or sell fan fiction.

ImpAtom posted:

Saban didn't go after them based off the full and finished game. They went after them based off the concept.

They went after them based on the concept, resolved their issues, then went after them again when the finished game turned out to be a lot more of a ripoff than the developers told them.

It's not goddamned hard to parody Sentai without stealing from it. Folks did it for the bulk of the 90s.

I love the game, but that's because it's not my stuff they've ripped off.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 7, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm amazed you guys are still arguing with that guy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm amazed you guys are still arguing with that guy.
i sued him but he didn't reply. that counts as a failure to appear in court right? gonna get a bench warrant on this guy

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Notorious cheap rear end in a top hat Haim Saban chasing the dollar? No loving way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hey, he likes 40k. Of course he's got lovely taste and sides with the money-leeching corporation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

They went after them based on the concept, resolved their issues, then went after them again when the finished game turned out to be a lot more of a ripoff than the developers told them.

That is not actually what happened, unless you have some special behind-the-scenes information nobody else does.

Literally all we know is that the game is not available on Steam in countries where tokusatsu (not Power Rangers) air on television. "argle blargle they did it because it was more of a ripoff" is entirely you making poo poo up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Poison Mushroom posted:

Hey, he likes 40k. Of course he's got lovely taste and sides with the money-leeching corporation.

Actually, I like the 40k done by another company (who creatively changed things to make it it's own thing) a lot more than 40k. :colbert:

ImpAtom posted:

That is not actually what happened, unless you have some special behind-the-scenes information nobody else does.

Literally all we know is that the game is not available on Steam in countries where tokusatsu (not Power Rangers) air on television. "argle blargle they did it because it was more of a ripoff" is entirely you making poo poo up.

Saban and Behold came to an agreement before the game was released (remember, the devs discussed this when it first came to light in the backer-only updates, with the devs saying Saban had no interest in shutting down the project, only looking for credit where credit is due), the result of which was the artwork style was changed and the "Inspired by Power Rangers" was added to the title.

After release, the country limitation was added by a combo of Saban and Teoi (which I'm not sure how it's spelled, phoneposting)

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Nevermind, it's like arguing with a brick wall.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 7, 2015

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
MisterBibs is a well known dumbass and shouldn't be encouraged.

Making my techie the beaver turned out to be a great idea, makes the romance subplot all the more funny and awkward.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

MisterBibs is a well know dumbass and shouldn't be encouraged.

Making my techie the beaver turned out to be a great idea, makes the romance subplot all the more funny and awkward.

Techie is the best choice for ridiculous characters.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MisterBibs posted:

Actually, I like the 40k done by another company (who creatively changed things to make it it's own thing) a lot more than 40k. :colbert:
Well, they're hewing too close to the source material, so they definitely deserve to get sued.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Rhonne posted:

MisterBibs is a well known dumbass and shouldn't be encouraged.

Bever Goes to Dentist.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Robot Dentist is pretty good too.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The kickstarter backers in this are hilarious and I hope they're being ironic. Some fat dork with secret wrestling skills? A literal furry? Okay then.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Million Ghosts posted:

The kickstarter backers in this are hilarious and I hope they're being ironic. Some fat dork with secret wrestling skills? A literal furry? Okay then.

I like how they all took Movement -1 as a drawback.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
-1 Movement in a game based around positionnig!? Seems smart. True sentai use the robot, beaver, and alien on the same team anyways.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Mister Bibs' title text seems to be very relevant in this topic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what the hell the details of Saban and Toei's deal is because, apparently poo poo like this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCLOTEcvgto

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh my loving god you guys shut up about Saban for one second, there is a video game to discuss.

Look, puns.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

if assault isn't your favorite get outta here

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

the best team member becomes the best toku hero

hell yeah, assault owns

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Grapplejack posted:

if assault isn't your favorite get outta here

Assault is pretty loving great. None of their skills break on me, and their extra acrobatics throwing range has saved my rear end several times.

I had the "can use dagger every turn" skill working fine up to now on Scout, but now that I'm fighting Gaga NOPE 6 TURN COOLDOWN :argh: Scout would be my favorite if they were not buggy as poo poo. Like the patch breaking countering in general (for you, not enemies) making "dodge=counter" useless.

That said, I do like the mechanics on the Lead class.

EDIT: Also, bosses running away towards the top of the screen so I can't read their dialogue because it's not on screen (playin windowed mode)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 7, 2015

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

There's some bosses where I think the Lead's Form Up (or whatever it's called) ability is the only reason it was even possible to get the "finishing move" director instruction. Especially before I learned about ranged weapon team attacks. Bosses where they Knock your whole team really far away, sometimes twice, and then run the opposite direction of everyone.

VV Yah, before I knew I could finisher by doing weapons with my techie using his rifle, it sometimes required both. Run Lead forward, lasso, form up, everyone assist. techie get's so little movement. Or atleast mine does, honestly I can't remember what any characters starting pros/cons were. Sometimes with bad luck on how the ai choses to knock your guys around, it still requires both unless you want to wait another turn.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 7, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

LibbyM posted:

Bosses where they Knock your whole team really far away, sometimes twice, and then run the opposite direction of everyone.

Eagle Lasso their asses. You still get a turn to attack/teamwork after using it so setup everybody to surround him a few squares away then drag his rear end over.

I got my boyfriend to start playing it and....
:v:: "If you put everyone in the same white uniform it looks more and more like a white supremacy group going around killing non-aryans"
I regret it immediately.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Golden Goat posted:

Eagle Lasso their asses. You still get a turn to attack/teamwork after using it so setup everybody to surround him a few squares away then drag his rear end over.

I got my boyfriend to start playing it and....
:v:: "If you put everyone in the same white uniform it looks more and more like a white supremacy group going around killing non-aryans"
I regret it immediately.

Sever.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The Kamen Rider path is the only time I've ever gotten a game over, and it's all because of that stupid second phase on the Colin's Bear fight. I ended up spamming Rider Kicks to get to the other side of him, the time gadget to heal and get a second attack in next turn, and then Battle Fever combined with Driver Mode to deal tons of damage while being healed up a bit more. But seriously, other than that, that branch was a cakewalk. With the cleave ability and Driver Mode, you can kill off most of a patch of squirrels in a single go.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I really wish this game would've taken a moment to explain a few more things, including:

- Rifles being an insane upgrade in terms of range.
- Skill regen.
- What the hell crafting rate does.
- And a few of the things in advertising or whatever, like fan conversion and income conversion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I really wish this game would've taken a moment to explain a few more things, including:

- Rifles being an insane upgrade in terms of range.
- Skill regen.
- What the hell crafting rate does.
- And a few of the things in advertising or whatever, like fan conversion and income conversion.

I think they ran into the "we're gamers so this stuff is self-evident" problem there. I figured out most of those things just from the name but if you're not speaking the same 'language' then there's no inherent reason to assume rifle is long-range.

A lot of that stuff is "it's named this so you probably understand" but I notice a lot of people getting confused at the conversion stuff so they really probably could have explained it better.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 7, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I think they ran into the "we're gamers so this stuff is self-evident" problem there. I figured out most of those things just from the name but if you're not speaking the same 'language' then there's no inherent reason to assume rifle is long-range.

I'd go so far as there's no reason to assume the rifle is long-range period. I thought it was just another alternative weapon type with a different stat spread, like axes or daggers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'd go so far as there's no reason to assume the rifle is long-range period. I thought it was just another alternative weapon type with a different stat spread, like axes or daggers.

No, there absolutely is.

In video game language "rifle" vs "pistol" is almost exclusively a matter of range and stopping power. If you have a rifle-type weapon in a game its advantage is almost always greater range, the same as a shotgun is almost always a close-range powerhouse, and so-on. If you get a rifle in a game you can assume that, as long as you're reasonably used to that.

Sword and Pistol can be equipped by anyone but the other weapons have specific strengths/weaknesses you'd expect from their weapon type. (Knives have low cooldown because they're fast, spear has 2 range because it's a spear, axe is slow but high-damage, ect). It's just that this is all video game logic the game expects you to know.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, cool, so I guess I retroactively always knew my Techie would get a bigger range on his skill from using a rifle. Thanks for setting me straight.

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't say you do? I was pointing out why they designed it that way. People who play a lot of games tend to not think about the fact that things they consider self-evident are not self-evident to everyone. It's a common design flaw.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, cool, so I guess I retroactively always knew my Techie would get a bigger range on his skill from using a rifle. Thanks for setting me straight.

I didn't say you do? I was pointing out why they designed it that way. People who play a lot of games tend to not think about the fact that things they consider self-evident are not self-evident to everyone. It's a common design flaw.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I still ignored rifles after realizing they were stronger/longer range because I can't use multishot with a rifle. At least, according to the skill list descriptions.

Multishot is sweet and has helped me out clearing trash, softening up a bunch of dudes, or managing director goals way more often than just being able to shoot one guy at a time harder would have.

My "Wait, WHAT!?" I didn't realize until basically the end of the game. Being able to do weapon team attacks, not helped because of all the times I used a weapon resulting in no team attack. "Oh no team attack happened, only this guy used his sword okay then." I found this out by accident when I noticed my Support or Techie would team attack at range with their weapons when I had them on teamwork mode for other reasons, and then one time I tried to use weapon attack to "prevent using up the teamwork" and they both nailed the guy with their weapons and I'm like "Ooooooh. I must have had one of the weapons on cooldown all those other times".

How's that for loving counter intuitive compared to "You didn't automatically know rifles had longer range without equipping them because viddy games?"

gently caress, even the fact there is apparently according to a comment earlier a weapon specific finisher was something I went the whole game without realizing.

Speaking of! loving fuckity mc gently caress Master X. That was such an unfun slog and after trying to play it 'safe' and 'tactical' leaving people to guard spawn points, it just sank in even if I did all I could He'd just summon loving five weapon dudes at a time even if I killed every single one of them and just went gently caress it, all in offense... Between running back and forth up and down stairs.

Fun fact: Form up will send some people upstairs and some people downstairs if your leader was in a bad spot :downs:

I made it through Colin Bear no problem :smugdog: Even when they gave me the Blue support space sheriff (6 cooldown and self debuff when using a circle of friendship equivalent, yeah I used that literally once) instead of the Red space sheriff like I asked for who apparently has a cool orbital laser :mad:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Multi Shot definitely does work with Rifles, or that's just another thing that's bugged.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Section Z posted:

I made it through Colin Bear no problem :smugdog: Even when they gave me the Blue support space sheriff (6 cooldown and self debuff when using a circle of friendship equivalent, yeah I used that literally once) instead of the Red space sheriff like I asked for who apparently has a cool orbital laser :mad:

okay

now do it solo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Million Ghosts posted:

Multi Shot definitely does work with Rifles, or that's just another thing that's bugged.

Wait, what? :doh: It definitely says [requires pistol] on the skill list though. I wonder if the other attack powers named after weapons but don't say they require them work without such? Like lightning dagger, or web shot?

Also I never crafted that blowdryer gun or whatever that sorta kinda hinted it might have a cone effect. I should probably try that sometime.

Pyroi posted:

okay

now do it solo

I... wait. Please tell me this is a joke.

Oh god, you poor bastard. Throw that in with the buggy counters on the players end and Jesus :gonk:

EDIT: Clearly, despite these bugs bothering me, I must start over and head for this as penance.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 7, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Yeah this game does have some buggy issues.

Like I don't know what Crafting Rate does. Your team can't counter right now for..some reason? Like the counter will trigger but then they won't do it (I had a 94% dodge Scout for the final battle and they never ever countered despite never being hit once. :( )

Multishot totally works with Rifles though, it has the same range as usual but you can still do it and it does a lot more damage because it also benefits from Sniper Cat based on the furthest distance you're multi shotting someone applied to everyone in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

How the hell do you do ranged team up attacks or weapon finishers? I never saw those at all in my playthrough.

• Locked thread