Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, I always see Stern as the symptom of a bad pinball market, not the cause of a bad pinball market.

But that's just me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also, speaking of funny PAPA notes, the notes for Big Buck Hunter suggest the game get set to easy mode for tournament play. :stare:

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Niwrad posted:

Every time they do something innovative with the design, people don't buy it (Avengers, WWE).

What I don't get is that they did a ton of innovative stuff early on and it worked fine, and now all the innovative toys don't work. Like Hulk getting the ball stuck behind him all the time, or TWD prison head, which I've only now just figured out a fix to. While the game itself was dumb, Playboy had 5 toys that had never been done before. It's like when they figured out playfield design, they just dropped physical toys.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Crossing my fingers that eventually, Kiss is really collectible as it's the only table ever to feature 4 convicted pedophiles.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I can't wait to put my balls in Gene Simmons' mouth, personally.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Niwrad posted:

Every time they do something innovative with the design, people don't buy it (Avengers, WWE).

Avengers is visually boring. WWE is probably not popular with most of these middle income guys that collect pinball. The local guy that buys a lot of new pinball machines considers the license. He has Metallica so probably isn't going to get another music pin. He got Avengers, Xmen, Star Trek, Walking Dead, and the Midieval Madness remake. Didn't get WWE because of the theme. Not the design.

EDIT - He currently has Walking Dead, Wizard of Oz, Pirates of the Carribean, Metallica, Star Trek, and Midieval Madness in the Brewery pinball room.
I take new people as often as I can. People new to pinball almost always overwhelming favor Midieval Madness, POTC, and Wizard of Oz over the newer sterns. This has been my anecdotal experience.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 7, 2015

breaks
May 12, 2001

South Park is still one of the best earning games, based solely on theme, so I'm not sure how "more themes like that" equals Mustang, WWE, KISS, and Whoa Nelly in the mind of the Stern braintrust. They did do TWD but they hosed that up by not getting some voice clips from the show... or anything other than the show's logo really.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I would unironically buy the poo poo out of a Bruce Springsteen pinball table.

It's me. I'm the problem.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Yeah, it's weird with TWD, because they clearly had rights to the actor's likenesses. They couldn't be on the sides and backglass if they didn't have the rights. So why didn't they put them anywhere in the animations or playfield? I'd say it's because they developed the game before they got the rights, but they got the rights like two and a half years ago, giving them plenty of time to work in the art. My only guess is that they had to pay by the number of times a likeness appeared in the game.

Also, my guess why South Park earns so well despite being so old and crappy? It swears all over the place, and has innuendo. When people hear Issac Hayes go "quit draining those balls so quick", it gets their attention.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

LordPants posted:

I would unironically buy the poo poo out of a Bruce Springsteen pinball table.

It's me. I'm the problem.

I would probably do that too

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

The more I play TWD, the more I loving hate it.
Ugh, those "redneck" sound clips drive me crazy. In fact, I probably look weird playing the game because I start yelling back the audio clips in an exaggerated accent and promptly follow it with "shut up" or something similar.

"Aww hees HEAD exploded, durr"
"Sounded like a waaader mellon"
"YEW GAWT BEET!"
"EEXTRA BAWL!"
"Caawm-bo"
"This walker's got some guts!"
"Where ya goin!? We got more walkers ta kill!"

Uhhg, it just reminds me of the kind of person who stocks up on a bunch of ammo because the real impending zombie apocalypse.

That said, I do like the gameplay.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah I don't really like TWD. The theme had so much potential and it just plays like a dud. On the other hand Mustang is a blast but has a boring theme.

When it comes to licenses, I can't begin to tell you what a pain in the rear end it is to deal with. I doubt Stern is just using clipart on some machines because they think it looks best. With huge companies like Marvel or any of these major studios, they give you almost no artistic freedom. Especially when you're as small as Stern. The bands on the other hand seem to be fine with letting Stern do whatever.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Someone should toss Robt. Williams a fat cheque and license some of his art.
He's frequently cited pinball/midway/carnival art as his roots.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Domus posted:

What I don't get is that they did a ton of innovative stuff early on and it worked fine, and now all the innovative toys don't work. Like Hulk getting the ball stuck behind him all the time, or TWD prison head, which I've only now just figured out a fix to. While the game itself was dumb, Playboy had 5 toys that had never been done before. It's like when they figured out playfield design, they just dropped physical toys.

If you look at Stern games up through CSI they were adding more toys and stuff to the playfields, and then right around then they had a huge round of layoffs and the tables started having less features (though they still had that awesome crane toy on Batman). That time starting with 2009, it's kind of understandable that they nearly went under with the recession.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I'd rather have a lovely pinball maker than no pinball maker myself.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
All of TPA up to Addams is hitting the 360 Monday.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does TPA ever run discounts on Android? I've got a bunch on iPad but now have an Android tablet and hoping there is a sale so I'm not spending $100 for the tables all over again.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

gently caress Springsteen, but I'd love a Slayer table.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Squashy Nipples posted:

gently caress Springsteen, but I'd love a Slayer table.

Would the wizard mode be "Raining Blood"?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Can't wait until we get that Wu-Tang pin

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Nothing brings out the lurkers like a few pages of "name your favorite band."

Went to redownload TPA the other day and the app store search suggested Pinball Sniper (iOS, Android). It's a fun little diversion even if the physics are a little wonky (and still better than TPA's, of course).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Clouseau posted:

All of TPA up to Addams is hitting the 360 Monday.
Got an email update from the TNG Kickstarter page about this today, and I couldn't believe it. I kinda assumed I'd be starting my TPA collection over once I got a PS4. Any real generational improvements besides the lighting and stuff? 360's already got a practical advantage IMO since I'm using the VGA cable for it. Anyway, that email was a pleasant surprise after what, like 3 years? I'll take it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing beats doing the playfield switch trick while going for the skill shot in Adams on the TPA. I feel like such a pro...

Also, with head to head apparently coming, that could make having pro modes on the tables more important so you can play games with tournament mode on and such.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LordPants posted:

Nothing beats doing the playfield switch trick while going for the skill shot in Adams on the TPA. I feel like such a pro...

Also, with head to head apparently coming, that could make having pro modes on the tables more important so you can play games with tournament mode on and such.

Play field switch trick?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

Play field switch trick?

If you miss the skill shot and don't hit any switches the game spits out another ball if you drain. So if you miss the skill shot and it rolls right into play and straight out you'll get a new ball.

It doesn't work if it rolls left into the bumpers, or doesn't get out of the shooter lane and goes into the swamp kickout.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Call Me Charlie posted:

One of these plucky upstarts need to make a Parliament-Funkadelic table.

Would play the hell out of that table.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Oh yeah, I got the Dirty Pool shot on TAF a couple weeks ago! That was pretty cool.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

LordPants posted:

If you miss the skill shot and don't hit any switches the game spits out another ball if you drain. So if you miss the skill shot and it rolls right into play and straight out you'll get a new ball.

It doesn't work if it rolls left into the bumpers, or doesn't get out of the shooter lane and goes into the swamp kickout.

This also works in Funhouse, though it's quite near impossible to drain a ball without hitting a switch. Those early ball saves weren't very generous.

DevCore posted:

Oh yeah, I got the Dirty Pool shot on TAF a couple weeks ago! That was pretty cool.

Real or TPA? I got it in TPA pretty early because the ball just glitched right through the bookcase. I don't know how you do that in real life.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

As a Millennial I posted:

Real or TPA? I got it in TPA pretty early because the ball just glitched right through the bookcase. I don't know how you do that in real life.

Real life! I got a real slugger shot off the left flipper which must've had some spin on it. Ball hit a rubber bumper next to the vault, hopped up and over and spun into the shot.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=showcase&fn=ycpqojca&u=GRatcliffe&or=3&sz=3&pg=0&yr=1974

nice pics here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don't know why, but I love the desaturated, red-yellow hazy and faded look of lots of photos from the 70s.

Pin-A-Go-Go starts tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Call Me Charlie posted:

One of these plucky upstarts need to make a Parliament-Funkadelic table.

Total conversion of Attack from Mars.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Oh hey I spot the one table I actually own, Williams Super Star.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Alucardd posted:

Oh hey I spot the one table I actually own, Williams Super Star.

It's a small world......Superstar was the 1st e/m I owned....fast player with a nice looking playfield and a profoundly ugly backglass. 3" wms e/ms are a bit of an acquired taste.

Nice to see these machines as low mileage shiny and unyellowed

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Got a weird bug in TPA. I went to check the PS3 version to see if Addams Family finally came out, and it tells me all available tables already purchased, except I only have a handful of tables.

EDIT: I uninstalled the game, and redownloaded it and everything seems to be fine. It's something I don't want to do a lot whenever I want to check if new tables are coming, like Cyclone! Addams Family is finally out on the PS3!

Armitage fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 16, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Played and on location Ripley's the other day. It was so slow it was like in slow motion. Assuming the pitch is correct(ish) is that a dirty playfield that causes that?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

No. It's probably the pitch or flippers that need a rebuild.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I'd respectfully disagree. If it's in a public place and no one has cleaned it in a year or two, it could totally be the dirty playfield. In fact, there's one of ours at a bowling alley that's like that, and I keep asking the bosses to bring it in so I can give it a proper shopping, but they keep forgetting. :(

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

While no doubt a dirty playfield in need of a wax will play slower, if it's playing in "slow motion," there's likely other issues at play. At the very least, you know it's a poorly maintained table.

I played a horrendously dirty Avatar the other day - one of the flippers was mostly ok, but the other just couldn't be bothered to make a shot to the back of the playfield. It was in "slow motion." No amount of cleaning would get that to play normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

roffels posted:

While no doubt a dirty playfield in need of a wax will play slower, if it's playing in "slow motion," there's likely other issues at play. At the very least, you know it's a poorly maintained table.

I played a horrendously dirty Avatar the other day - one of the flippers was mostly ok, but the other just couldn't be bothered to make a shot to the back of the playfield. It was in "slow motion." No amount of cleaning would get that to play normal.

Domus is probably giving him the benefit of the doubt that he could tell if the flipper was weak. It could be a combination.