Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Is in the realms of the unreal actually available to the general public somehow? I can't find any indication that even excerpts have been published. I can see why they didn't originally publish it in it's entirety but it seems pretty criminal not to create an ebook at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Was going to ask the same thing, but it appears not. I'm kinda surprised that nobody's taken it on as a project, like Yale have done for the Voynich Manuscript.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm reading every single page of this thread and I just hit this post. Sword and Scale is one of my favorite podcasts ever because it's the furthest thing from the well-researched and laid out and Serious Journalism style of Serial. It's just a trashy true crime novel every few weeks, told by a dude who treats the Jonny Gosch sex ring conspiracy bullshit as gospel. I love it. It's also got a certain distinction as the only podcast I've ever had to shut off for being too loving gross (the episode that was text-to-speech readings of chatlogs between people discussing murdering and eating children. If you read it out loud between people it'd feel ridiculous, like a tryhard law and order episode, but with the cold detachment of the TTS it was terrifying)

There's an episode of this (I might have posted about it since) that features the infamous 3 guys 1 hammer video. There is audio of the events, and if you closed it for the (what i thought was obvious) fantasy of the cannibal paedophile episode, you're going to vomit when you get to that one. if you get to that one, don't listen to it.

I can take pretty bad poo poo (I used to work in a morgue), but that loving audio will haunt me forever.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's an episode of this (I might have posted about it since) that features the infamous 3 guys 1 hammer video. There is audio of the events, and if you closed it for the (what i thought was obvious) fantasy of the cannibal paedophile episode, you're going to vomit when you get to that one. if you get to that one, don't listen to it.

I can take pretty bad poo poo (I used to work in a morgue), but that loving audio will haunt me forever.

Is this about those Russian teenagers? I thought it was just 2 guys...I hope there's not another hammer video out there I don't know about.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm reading every single page of this thread and I just hit this post. Sword and Scale is one of my favorite podcasts ever because it's the furthest thing from the well-researched and laid out and Serious Journalism style of Serial. It's just a trashy true crime novel every few weeks, told by a dude who treats the Jonny Gosch sex ring conspiracy bullshit as gospel. I love it. It's also got a certain distinction as the only podcast I've ever had to shut off for being too loving gross (the episode that was text-to-speech readings of chatlogs between people discussing murdering and eating children. If you read it out loud between people it'd feel ridiculous, like a tryhard law and order episode, but with the cold detachment of the TTS it was terrifying)

Sounds like the podcast equivalent of those crime magazines.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

Is this about those Russian teenagers? I thought it was just 2 guys...I hope there's not another hammer video out there I don't know about.

Well there's two guys (the brothers, maybe?) who commit some obscene acts of violence, and one other, who didn't really do much on account of being horribly murdered. And the fucker who filmed it, but he wasn't credited.

It's the Russian thing though yeah. I've not seen it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
These sick Ukraine bastards?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dnepropetrovsk_maniacs

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

http://imgur.com/gallery/pQr8T

Here's some creepy stuff to listen to. For some reason I can read whatever and not have it get to me, but listening makes it real and much, much more creepy.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

What I love about Wikipedia is the assurance that if I click on a link like this, I will get a reasonably accurate and graphic description of the events, but NOT be subjected to horrifying photos, autoplay audio or video, or generally anything that's likely to traumatize me or get me fired.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah. Don't listen to that podcast about this. The article's bad enough.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah. Don't listen to that podcast about this. The article's bad enough.

The video is even worse.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
This was making the rounds on social media last night and I made the terrible mistake of listening to The's Lord Prayer snippet right before bed.

Edison's Talking Dolls Can Now Provide The Soundtrack To Your Nightmares

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leviathan Song posted:

Is in the realms of the unreal actually available to the general public somehow? I can't find any indication that even excerpts have been published. I can see why they didn't originally publish it in it's entirety but it seems pretty criminal not to create an ebook at this point.

I've seen some excerpts, and it really doesn't seem readable.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Rincewind posted:

That said, that post was somehow the first I'd heard of the real-world Max Headroom pirating incident and :stare:

EDIT: Here's an interesting article about it from Vice.

Good article, and it leads to this unnerving youtube about Clutch Cargo (proclick imo). The Max Headroom wannabe was humming its theme song and (may of) directly quoted it.

Clutch Cargo was your basic adventure serial that played 5 minutes a day, with an option to play them all together as a half hour show come Saturday morning. It was a pretty flexible show for television shows to run.

Meet the gang! So far, so good-

Clutch Cargo was a cartoon series with extremely limited animation for everything but "Syncro-Vox" - the lips were voice actors real life ones, super-imposed on top of the character's face.

This work is not of God :gonk:

Yeah, the effect didn't always mesh and you ended up gazing down into the Uncanny Valley. You've seen modern-day applications of this technique on late-night shows (usually imposed over the face of an actual person) and that show about that there Annoying Orange. Here, it was used unironically.

Sometimes they did draw mouths. It didn't help.

There was a "tribute" to Syncro-Vox in "Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers" (1992) (skip to 6:39 for it) which left a strong impression on young me because what in the actual hell was I looking at here?!

First GIS result, btw, so it wasn't just me.

Some interesting things about Clutch Cargo, now that you totally clicked the first link and experienced it:

quote:

Actress Margaret Kerry, who provided the look, style, and movement of Tinker Bell in the 1953 Walt Disney Studios production of Peter Pan, provided both the voices and lips of Spinner and Paddlefoot

quote:

Hal Smith, who voiced Owl in Disney's Winnie the Pooh series and played Otis Campbell on The Andy Griffith Show, was the voice of Clutch's grizzled, pith-helmeted friend Swampy, as well as numerous other characters.

quote:

Occasionally traditional animation was also employed in the series, notably in the episode The Lost Plateau, in which brief segments of animated dinosaurs stood out.

quote:

The character Paddlefoot, with his scratching and comical movements, was singled out as the most common cause of "skyrocketing" animation costs at Cambria.

quote:

Live-action footage of an airplane was used as well, specifically that of a rare 1929 Bellanca C-27 Airbus.

quote:

The musical soundtrack to Clutch Cargo was, in its own way, as limited, and yet as inventive within those limitations, as the animation. Jazz musician Paul Horn provided a score using nothing more than bongos, a vibraphone and a flute.
Other filmed effect such as live action smoke were also used. They employed a lot of neat techniques to keep costs down while still looking relatively decent.

quote:

"We are not making animated cartoons. We are photographing 'motorized movement' and—the biggest trick of all—combining it with live action. This enables us to produce film at about one-fifth what it costs Hanna and Barbera. Footage that Disney does for $250,000 we do for $18,000."[1]

None will soon forget its award-winning depiction of Eskimos, however:

As also seen on Pulp-Fiction, which had a brief scene of someone watching Clutch Cargo

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Kitsch! posted:

This was making the rounds on social media last night and I made the terrible mistake of listening to The's Lord Prayer snippet right before bed.

This is fab I wish I was still teaching the history of pop music, as I did quite a lot of stuff on mechanical music and the early days of the industry. These dolls were part of the lecture, and if I could have freaked out the students even more with audio, :allears:

I'm also just generally interested in how current technology is able to read media that has been silent for so long (or, like Scott de Martinville, were recordings made as a visual record only. They had no means to play them back themselves.)

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 18:19 on May 6, 2015

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Kitsch! posted:

Edison's voice recordings from the 19th century are awesome.

From 1888 - William Gladstone, UK Prime Minister:

https://soundcloud.com/thisisparker/william-gladstone-recorded-by-thomas-edison

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

stickyfngrdboy posted:

That one was actually way less creepy to me than the cannibal chat. The only part of that episode that really bothered me was the audio from reaction videos of people watching 1 Lunatic 1 Icepick. Really, the vast majority of Sword and Scale doesn't phase me at all except to go "man there's some hosed up people in this world", but I think a decent part of that comes from a childhood full of trashy true crime shows. It also helps that Mike Boudet is just the biggest goober imaginable, to the point where he didn't know what 420 was in one episode, and I really get the impression that he just wants to make a bombastic podcast. poo poo, the dude treated the crazy secret Satanic government child sex ring conspiracy in the Jonny Gosch episodes like it was loving gospel, despite all of that poo poo being disproven at this point.

Kurtofan posted:

Sounds like the podcast equivalent of those crime magazines.

It really is. There's a few really stand out episodes. 11 and 12 come to mind, about a ~mysterious stalker~ who murdered a girl, except the odds of the stalker existing or any of the poo poo actually happening are nonexistent, and it's much more likely that it's a case of Munchausen's-by-proxy, which then gets into this crazy poo poo where a dude is being stalked and having his life ruined for years over an internet chatroom. Most of the time though it's poo poo like Jim Schutze's Bully! in audio form. Also, Mike Boudet did not know what 420 was. I can't stress this enough, the man runs an over the top lurid podcast and when a murder victim's mother said "Are you familiar with 420" he said "no", and I really have to try to convince myself that he was just trying to keep an interview going.

BENGHAZI 2 has a new favorite as of 18:46 on May 6, 2015

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I love listening to old-time recordings, where they seem to have an accent (but really it's just language changing over time).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

pookel posted:

I love listening to old-time recordings, where they seem to have an accent (but really it's just language changing over time).

I always liked the apocryphal (?) story that Daniel Day Lewis based his There Will Be Blood speaking cadence and accent from old recordings of John Huston.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Here's a interview with the Second Office on the Titanic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzqJiowdwhA

His accent's a joy to listen to and his role in the shipwreck is pretty crazy.

quote:

During the evacuation, Lightoller took charge of lowering the lifeboats on the port side of the boat deck. He helped to fill several lifeboats with passengers and launched them. Lightoller interpreted Smith's order for "the evacuation of women and children" as essentially "women and children only". As a result, Lightoller lowered lifeboats with empty seats if there were no women and children waiting to board.[8]

When he attempted to launch Lifeboat 2, he found it to be occupied already by 25 male passengers and crewmen. He ordered them out of the boat at gunpoint, telling them: "Get out of there, you damned cowards! I'd like to see every one of you overboard!". He then filled the boat with women and children, but could not find enough of them to fill the boat. When Boat 2 was lowered, there were only 17 people aboard, out of a capacity of 40.[9]

He then got swept overboard when the ship went down and made his way to a capsized lifeboat

quote:

Lightoller climbed on the boat and took charge, calming and organising the survivors (numbering around thirty) on the overturned lifeboat. He led them in yelling in unison "Boat ahoy!" but with no success. During the night a swell arose and Lightoller taught the men to shift their weight with the swells to prevent the craft from being swamped. If not for this, they likely would have been thrown into the freezing water again. At his direction, the men kept this up for hours until they were finally rescued by another lifeboat. Lightoller was the last survivor taken on board the RMS Carpathia.

Later on he had a fairly distinguished career with the Royal Navy in WW1 and retired to become a innkeeper, only to return to the sea in 1940 when he sailed his yacht to Dunkirk and helped with the evacuation there.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Leviathan Song posted:

It's been on netflix before.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Also on YouTube, if this is the right one.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I think they mean the book.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I think they mean the book.

I did mean the book. Even the main book about it is about $300 on Amazon.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Literally Kermit posted:

There was a "tribute" to Syncro-Vox in "Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers" (1992) (skip to 6:39 for it) which left a strong impression on young me because what in the actual hell was I looking at here?!

Similarly, one of the DVD special features for the Pixar movie The Incredibles was an obvious spoof of Clutch Cargo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JxsZEZPkYE

E: It also has commentary by Craig T. Nelson and Samuel L. Jackson as their respective characters from the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R44MvXeEQw

Doctor Bishop has a new favorite as of 02:31 on May 7, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Doctor Bishop posted:

Similarly, one of the DVD special features for the Pixar movie The Incredibles was an obvious spoof of Clutch Cargo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JxsZEZPkYE

E: It also has commentary by Craig T. Nelson and Samuel L. Jackson as their respective characters from the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R44MvXeEQw

That's loving awesome. The effect isn't nearly so bad when the actors intentionally overact!

Cracked up at that closeup of Mr. Incredible saying that the ice bridge was the most amazing thing he ever seen built before his eyes. :3:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Nckdictator posted:

Here's a interview with the Second Office on the Titanic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzqJiowdwhA

His accent's a joy to listen to and his role in the shipwreck is pretty crazy.

He then got swept overboard when the ship went down and made his way to a capsized lifeboat

Later on he had a fairly distinguished career with the Royal Navy in WW1 and retired to become a innkeeper, only to return to the sea in 1940 when he sailed his yacht to Dunkirk and helped with the evacuation there.

Lightholler was either a relative or a very close friend with my grandparents and great-grandparents. I got to spend the 50th anniversary of the Dunkirk landings on his yacht with his son and grandson- though I don't really remember much about it other than being tied to the mast for being rude. :P

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Literally Kermit posted:

I saw this episode as a child and I actually wrote off my memory of it as being some bizarre fever dream of the sugar addled mind of an 8 year old, good to know that it does exist and is still unsettling looking

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015

pretty soft girl posted:

I saw this episode as a child and I actually wrote off my memory of it as being some bizarre fever dream of the sugar addled mind of an 8 year old, good to know that it does exist and is still unsettling looking

I had the same thing but with Lidsville! For years I thought that there was no way such a thing would actually be a real TV show, that I must have dreamed it as a young child. NOPE.

For those of you lucky enough to have escaped its scourge, Lidsville was a horrifying live-action children's show about giant anthropomorphic hats, some of which were evil and would try to harm hapless non-hat children. The Wikipedia article also contains the phrase "reclaim control of the androgynous Weenie."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidsville

edit: "Unfortunately for Mark, he did not return home at the end." AUGHHHH.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

pretty soft girl posted:

Me too! This episode haunted me as a child. The fake Porky Pig at the end still creeps me out, I'm not sure what kid wouldn't be unsettled by that.

Parasol Prophet has a new favorite as of 05:47 on May 7, 2015

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
This has just reminded me of something that freaked me out as a child. Mulligrubs.

No pictures in the wiki but GIS "Mulligrubs" for an idea on why it freaked me out.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

MonoAus posted:

This has just reminded me of something that freaked me out as a child. Mulligrubs.

No pictures in the wiki but GIS "Mulligrubs" for an idea on why it freaked me out.

Mulligrubs was some weird poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WW1-N9Q5KA

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

MonoAus posted:

Don't ever tune a modern TV to a dead channel.

She might be watching.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Synchro-vox and Clutch Cargo get a pass from me because the guy who invented it was trying to make a cartoon that his deaf kid could watch. The kid could read lips and was sad that cartoons didn't have legible mouth movements. Some other turd decided to make it as cheap as possible.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Jack Gladney posted:

Synchro-vox and Clutch Cargo get a pass from me because the guy who invented it was trying to make a cartoon that his deaf kid could watch. The kid could read lips and was sad that cartoons didn't have legible mouth movements.
That's lovely. :3:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Jack Gladney posted:

Synchro-vox and Clutch Cargo get a pass from me because the guy who invented it was trying to make a cartoon that his deaf kid could watch. The kid could read lips and was sad that cartoons didn't have legible mouth movements. Some other turd decided to make it as cheap as possible.

That is extremely cool and makes perfect sense, but I can find no reference to it being a part of why Edwin Gillette created the Syncro-Vox medium.

According to the Wikipedia article on Clutch Cargo, lowering production cost was the driving force:

quote:

To further cut costs, Gillette and special-effects man Scotty Tomany supplemented Syncro-Vox with other time- and money-saving tricks. Haas explained, "We are not making animated cartoons. We are photographing 'motorized movement' and—the biggest trick of all—combining it with live action. This enables us to produce film at about one-fifth what it costs Hanna and Barbera. Footage that Disney does for $250,000 we do for $18,000."[1]

Gillette and Tomany simulated action not by animation but in the real-time movement of either the camera or the cel itself. Other live-action shots were superimposed as a means of adding a certain degree of realism and to keep production costs down. For example, footage of real smoke was used for explosions.[1]

Also, thanks to this thread, I can now impress my friends when we watch SpongeBob by telling them that the pirate at the very beginning was done using the Syncro-Vox method.

...who am I kidding? I have no friends.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 16:55 on May 7, 2015

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

legitimately relieved to see that other people shared my chlidhood "Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers" trauma

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Endbringer posted:

That is extremely cool and makes perfect sense, but I can find no reference to it being a part of why Edwin Gillette created the Syncro-Vox medium.

According to the Wikipedia article on Clutch Cargo, lowering production cost was the driving force:

Also, thanks to this thread, I can now impress my friends when we watch SpongeBob by telling them that the pirate at the very beginning was done using the Syncro-Vox method.

...who am I kidding? I have no friends.

It looks like a widely circulated claim with no clear source, just like most untrue stories too good to let go, sadly:

http://legendsrumors.blogspot.com/2014/09/synchro-vox-developed-to-help-deaf.html?m=1

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Linked from the macro thread of all places, but it turns out Saddam Hussein hired a calligrapher to make a Qu'ran inked from the ol' president's blood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Quran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Linked from the macro thread of all places, but it turns out Saddam Hussein hired a calligrapher to make a Qu'ran inked from the ol' president's blood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Quran

This always seemed like something the South Park version of Saddam would do rather than the actual real life person