Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Coredump posted:

I need to jump on the diet train too. Real bad. Too the people saying to eat veggies that's pro talk unless you're like me and think most vegetables taste like butt. Blame it on growing up low-middle class and the diet that comes along with it. I'm going to have to figure something out. Wanna try a keto diet and see where that takes me.

350°F oven and salt/pepper makes literally anything delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

CornHolio posted:

Usually the half hour before I go to bed I'm showering and trying to corral the kids into their beds, clean up their messes downstairs, turn all the lights off that they left on, yell at the kids to go to bed again, bring the cats inside (they hang out in our sunroom, it isn't outside-outside), yell at the kids again to go to bed... I never feel stressed out, but I'm sure my kids cause me a certain amount of anxiety and that may also be driving some of the symptoms.

Not quite the same routine, but drat does it sound familiar and make me feel like a jackass to my eldest (he'll be 3 in sept).

Sorry to piggy back into more bitching.... but this week has been particularly bad. Sold the fun car yesterday (Oh poo poo, where's the title!? Oh poo poo, I need a bill of sale! Combined with "gently caress, where did my wallet go!?!" for an hour) and we're probably putting a cat down today (that'll be 3 cats in 2 years we've lost. gently caress.) Frustrated at work. Pissing money away on all kinds of poo poo, and just in general feeling like I'm not making any sort of progress at life, it's a huge downer.

Blah.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

I found some turtles getting nasty and thought it was hilarious because I am a child.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ssjonizuka posted:

Not quite the same routine, but drat does it sound familiar and make me feel like a jackass to my eldest (he'll be 3 in sept).

I know the feeling. I have a 7-year-old and a 4-year-old and me and the wife both work full time, then come home and it's mostly making sure the oldest gets her homework done, they get fed, bathed, etc... And they're very good and not doing those things, so sometimes there's just "NO. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. NOW." or "I SAD GET IN THE TUB. NOW." Though I do get "best dad ever" notes sometimes so I must not be that big of a prick dad.

quote:

Sorry to piggy back into more bitching.... but this week has been particularly bad. Sold the fun car yesterday (Oh poo poo, where's the title!? Oh poo poo, I need a bill of sale! Combined with "gently caress, where did my wallet go!?!" for an hour) and we're probably putting a cat down today (that'll be 3 cats in 2 years we've lost. gently caress.) Frustrated at work. Pissing money away on all kinds of poo poo, and just in general feeling like I'm not making any sort of progress at life, it's a huge downer.

Blah.

Hang in there buddy, we lost a cat three days before Christmas and it's still a little raw.

Maybe we can buy antidepressants in bulk for AI.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Coredump posted:

I need to jump on the diet train too. Real bad. Too the people saying to eat veggies that's pro talk unless you're like me and think most vegetables taste like butt. Blame it on growing up low-middle class and the diet that comes along with it. I'm going to have to figure something out. Wanna try a keto diet and see where that takes me.

Fun thing about cooking is poo poo like spices are abundant and can make anything taste like anything else...

And keto works but you basically lose any muscle you have along with fat so by the end of it all you're pathetically weak and your breath smells like poo poo because keto.

User Error posted:

I found some turtles getting nasty and thought it was hilarious because I am a child.

You were correct.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

88h88 posted:

Fun thing about cooking is poo poo like spices are abundant and can make anything taste like anything else...

And keto works but you basically lose any muscle you have along with fat so by the end of it all you're pathetically weak and your breath smells like poo poo because keto.

You were correct.

Last time I ate that clean, I was also working out super hard. I had squat/bench/deadlift up over 350, but I only lost five pounds. However I lost about 7" off my gut, so it was still worth it.

Then I hosed up my knee and became a functional alcoholic so heyyy

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cat Terrist posted:

Best weight loss idea ever - dropping soft drinks full stop. The whole just water thing really is as good as it's made out to be

Quoted for truth -- I'm down 15 lbs since January by cutting out sodas and limiting deserts to once a week.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I know the feeling. I have a 7-year-old and a 4-year-old and me and the wife both work full time, then come home and it's mostly making sure the oldest gets her homework done, they get fed, bathed, etc... And they're very good and not doing those things, so sometimes there's just "NO. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. NOW." or "I SAD GET IN THE TUB. NOW." Though I do get "best dad ever" notes sometimes so I must not be that big of a prick dad.

When my son doesn't want to do homework he has to sit in his room and read or do nothing until he's ready to get back to it. Personally, I feel that homework for kids in elementary is loving ridiculous, I didn't start getting homework until I was in middle school. And don't even get me started on Common Core, gently caress everyone that supports it.

[e] This pretty much sums up Common Core:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 7, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

Quoted for truth -- I'm down 15 lbs since January by cutting out sodas and limiting deserts to once a week.

Were the sodas you were drinking diet? I just don't see how cutting out a zero calorie beverage makes a deal.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T1g4h posted:

Yo, racing sim dudes, what would you guys suggest I get if I wanted a decent wheel to play DiRT Rally with? I'm picking up a GTX 970 + another 8GB of RAM in a few weeks, after that I think I'm gonna splurge on a nice wheel / pedal combo. I kinda want to get a Logitech G27 but I don't know if I can justify that $240 price. I mean, it looks loving rad and I really really really want it, but is there anything decent that's a bit less pricy?
I picked a G27 up months ago then bought a full sim cockpit last weekend. I now have a new in box G27 that needs a new home. $200 shipped, send me a PM.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Chrysler: keeping our cars inside and our connecting rods on the outside.
:boom:

KozmoNaut posted:

Get some thighs, skin and bones and all, and it'll taste OK even without seasoning. Add just salt and pepper and it becomes downright heavenly. (And it becomes the best food in the entire world when basted after cooking, in its own juices mixed with fresh thyme.)
This is the proper way to eat chicken. Bone-in, skin-on and dark meat. Cook it on the grill and that poo poo is great, I go through ~6 pounds a week.

This week has been unproductive as hell for me and I have a ton of poo poo I need to get done. Planned on a quick nap yesterday afternoon, slept through alarm and woke up 3 hours later...Just in time to eat, shower then go to bed. Need to get off my rear end tonight and get some poo poo done.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

When my son doesn't want to do homework he has to sit in his room and read or do nothing until he's ready to get back to it. Personally, I feel that homework for kids in elementary is loving ridiculous, I didn't start getting homework until I was in middle school. And don't even get me started on Common Core, gently caress everyone that supports it.

I felt the same way until I sat down and went through it and realized it's the exact same way most cashiers count change back to you. It looks difficult on paper, but it's far easier to do in your head.

I felt pretty bad because I have a degree in aeronautical engineering and couldn't remember how to borrow when subtracting big numbers. I've relied on my calculator for far too long and forgot some really basic poo poo in the process :(

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ssjonizuka posted:

Frustrated at work. Pissing money away on all kinds of poo poo, and just in general feeling like I'm not making any sort of progress at life, it's a huge downer.

This is how I've felt all spring. Basement flooded (not badly, but still). Had to go buy more fans. Found out our 3-year-old dehumidifier no longer works - had to replace that. Blew up our central wet/dry vac, so had to go out and buy a good shopvac without being able to shop around/wait for a deal online. Spend money on oil changes, getting the winter tires swapped for summer tires, etc (if I had any space to do these myself, I would, but our driveway was flooded and our garage has no space). Then our storage shed outside has a partially-collapsed roof, and I could maybe fix it, but we got a great deal on a 10x14 build-it kit. But now I'm going to need to get 2-3 yards of gravel and rent a skid steer to make the spot for it. Then likely pay someone to get rid of the old one (unless I tear it down with the skid steer, which I may do). Wife wanted raised garden beds, so two huge ones of those was $500 and change in lumber. Its not that we can't afford it all, its just incredibly frustrating to feel like money is just pissing away. And we need to re-do the roof, the deck could use replaced, our windows/doors are getting older...being an adult loving sucks.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CornHolio posted:

Good god, I have those symptoms to a T. I've even had this weird skin problem on my face but I thought it was because our water softener is broken. Maybe I do have late-onset celiac. Is there a test they can run for that, or is it a case of "stop eating gluten for a few weeks and see what happens."

edit: Although, if I have bread or pasta or something gluteny, I don't feel like poo poo afterwards. Not that I can remember, anyway.

Nobody in my family has it that I know of, maybe that's what it is though.

I think there is a test, but it apparently is never wholly conclusive. Most docs recommend removing the glue tans for a month and see what's up. Through all that my wife has discovered she has issues with a whole shitload of foods. Gluten will seriously gently caress her up, even a mouse fart of that stuff will put her on her rear end for a week. I'm talking making GBS threads blood.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Siochain posted:

...being an adult a home owner loving sucks.

FTFY :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is the proper way to eat chicken. Bone-in, skin-on and dark meat. Cook it on the grill and that poo poo is great, I go through ~6 pounds a week.

I usually just season the bird liberally inside and out with coarse sea salt and fresh black pepper, then truss it up and throw it in a dish in the oven for ~1hr 20min at 235C/450F.

When it's done, I take it out, put a bunch of fresh chopped thyme in the juices (including the juices inside the chicken, pour them into the dish first) and baste the chicken with that, then let it sit for ~15min.

Then I treat myself to the middle wing joints, the oysters and the butt. So good.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

leica posted:

I keep trying to work out how this works and just can't figure it out

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
A good friend of mine has been doing too well lately (a lot of big poo poo happened to him all at once), so I went out drinking with him to let him vent and whatnot. I've got a massive hangover today, and I woke up to remember its my anniversary.

I think today is going to be a rough one.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

KozmoNaut posted:

I usually just season the bird liberally inside and out with coarse sea salt and fresh black pepper, then truss it up and throw it in a dish in the oven for ~1hr 20min at 235C/450F.

When it's done, I take it out, put a bunch of fresh chopped thyme in the juices (including the juices inside the chicken, pour them into the dish first) and baste the chicken with that, then let it sit for ~15min.

Then I treat myself to the middle wing joints, the oysters and the butt. So good.

Roasted chicken with lemon, thyme, garlic and butter is soo good. Then you realise the breasts are still the worst part.
So you either a) buy the whole chook, butcher it up and save the breasts for a quick stir fry or grill (or sandwich meat), but still roast the thighs/marylands, or wings and drumsticks, or b) stop buying whole chooks and just buy the non breast pieces.
I still do 'a' so I can save a lot of offcuts and bones for stock, but that's extra effort and freezer space needed. But I don't roast breast meat anymore, just stirfry, pan fry or braise in sauce and covered in the oven.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 7, 2015

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Siochain posted:

This is how I've felt all spring. Basement flooded (not badly, but still). Had to go buy more fans. Found out our 3-year-old dehumidifier no longer works - had to replace that. Blew up our central wet/dry vac, so had to go out and buy a good shopvac without being able to shop around/wait for a deal online. Spend money on oil changes, getting the winter tires swapped for summer tires, etc (if I had any space to do these myself, I would, but our driveway was flooded and our garage has no space). Then our storage shed outside has a partially-collapsed roof, and I could maybe fix it, but we got a great deal on a 10x14 build-it kit. But now I'm going to need to get 2-3 yards of gravel and rent a skid steer to make the spot for it. Then likely pay someone to get rid of the old one (unless I tear it down with the skid steer, which I may do). Wife wanted raised garden beds, so two huge ones of those was $500 and change in lumber. Its not that we can't afford it all, its just incredibly frustrating to feel like money is just pissing away. And we need to re-do the roof, the deck could use replaced, our windows/doors are getting older...being an adult loving sucks.

Why do you need a skid steer? Get beer (& takeaway food) and then invite some mates round and tell them to bring a shovel and gloves with them to tear down the old shed and sort the base out and erect the new one. Old shed can be burnt while you sit around at the end of the night finishing the beer off (or if its metal go weigh it in and exchange for beer/pizza money)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

freelop posted:

because it's not a good example of anything, its fodder for poo poo websites like theblaze

http://hechingerreport.org/common-core-math-problem-hard-supporters-common-core-respond-problematic-math-quiz-went-viral/

lecia, that's nuts that you think kids shouldn't have homework until middle school. I definitely had homework from 1st grade on.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Coredump posted:

You don't have to fret, I am a big child with a 5 year old palette. I lost 120 pounds in one year and didn't eat any veggies. Maybe I would've lost more if ate them but I know what I can and can't stand.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

freelop posted:

You explode the number into base 10 values, and count back from largest base 10 to smallest base 10.

316 = 100 + 100 + 100 + 10 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1

427 - 100 - 100 - 100 = 127

127 - 10 = 117

117 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 = 111

Jack didn't remember his 10^1 value because he was in a rush to gently caress Jill, so he was 10 off.

It's actually a decent way to figure stuff out and begins the concept of breaking large problems into lots of smaller ones, which engineers should be creaming their pants about.

Source: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering which included extensive study in differential equations and other higher-math applications :rolleyes:, also Best Buy cashier for 6 months like a decade ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

leica posted:

I have an undergrad in mathematics I am almost done with, and let me tell you: I don't get common core.

BUT, it WAS designed by people who are much more well informed about how children perceive numbers and how to better explain the process to them, so while it frustrates the piss out of me, I'll hold my tongue.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Adiabatic posted:

You explode the number into base 10 values, and count back from largest base 10 to smallest base 10.

316 = 100 + 100 + 100 + 10 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1

427 - 100 - 100 - 100 = 127

127 - 10 = 117

117 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 = 111

Jack didn't remember his 10^1 value because he was in a rush to gently caress Jill, so he was 10 off.

It's actually a decent way to figure stuff out and begins the concept of breaking large problems into lots of smaller ones, which engineers should be creaming their pants about.

Source: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering which included extensive study in differential equations and other higher-math applications :rolleyes:, also Best Buy cashier for 6 months like a decade ago.

I see how that works.
I could train myself to use this though I'd do it the other way around by thinking the difference between 316 and 427 is 100+10+1

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

freelop posted:

I see how that works.
I could train myself to use this though I'd do it the other way around by thinking the difference between 316 and 427 is 100+10+1

Yeah but when you encounter a digit in the smaller number that is larger than the digit in the larger number (like say 427-346... the 4 in 346 is larger than the 2 in 427), you'd normally have to carry. The way I explained you just count it back and no carrying or bit holding is necessary.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I get the idea behind the number line and the "representations" of base 10 units and all, but I can't help but feel the real problem with math in schools is that kids just don't see the applications.

I would much rather kids do a cross-spectrum project curriculum than just tests.

Give the kids something like, we need to build a bridge and it needs to have these requirements. Now how do you figure out how much money you need to buy all this poo poo? Add it up. What do we need to remove to hit this budget? We need to write a proposal for that poo poo, how do you do formal writing?

Math is loving cool as all hell when you're using it for something. Just handing out arithmetic worksheets is the best way to burn out kids, regardless of whether those worksheets are about number lines, or base-10 blocks or whatever.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would much rather kids do a cross-spectrum project curriculum than just tests.

Yeah my biggest problem with common core is that they all teach to the standardized tests and pretty much nothing else. I make sure to take my kids to museums and aquariums and zoos and stuff so they get more than just that, but it's still frustrating.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hell, we could just make kastein a travelling math lecturer for the kids.

HEY KIDS WHO KNOWS HOW TO CALCULATE THE TOTAL VOLTAGE OF THIS BANK OF loving BATTERIES I JUST PULLED OUT OF MY JEEP

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

lecia, that's nuts that you think kids shouldn't have homework until middle school. I definitely had homework from 1st grade on.

Do you have kids? It's not nuts to not want my 7 year old in first grade to be all stressed out about homework and the dumbass common core tests. It takes him over an hour each day to do his homework....Again, FIRST GRADE.

The amount of homework is ridiculous, I don't know how old you are, but I don't remember getting any significant homework until I was in at least 6th grade and even then I rarely spent more than a half hour on it before I was outside riding my bike or something, difficult homework didn't kick in until loving high school.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hell, we could just make kastein a travelling math lecturer for the kids.

HEY KIDS WHO KNOWS HOW TO CALCULATE THE TOTAL VOLTAGE OF THIS BANK OF loving BATTERIES I JUST PULLED OUT OF MY JEEP

If average water intrusion past the "roof" = x, and the rotting rate of wood is f(x), calculate how long it would take to lose enough sanity to run your Deuce through the house.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Had homework from age 11 onwards. I very vividly remember the feeling of utter sadness that I now had to do school work outside of school hours.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

Do you have kids? It's not nuts to not want my 7 year old in first grade to be all stressed out about homework and the dumbass common core tests. It takes him over an hour each day to do his homework....Again, FIRST GRADE.

The amount of homework is ridiculous, I don't know how old you are, but I don't remember getting any significant homework until I was in at least 6th grade and even then I rarely spent more than a half hour on it before I was outside riding my bike or something, difficult homework didn't kick in until loving high school.

Yeah, my daughter is in second grade and has homework every night. Only the daily worksheet, 20 min reading, and 1 min each of doing word reading and math problems is required, but to do her "four-star homework" she also has to write a math problem, write a paragraph about what she read, do some online math problems, do some online reading problems, and play outside.

We don't get home until after six and we rarely have time for more than the minimum required homework.

Second grade, man. Second grade.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

God I want to go back to school as for ME. I did my associates in engineering at a community college, got a full time job in IT and finished a bachelors in IT thinking it would help my career. LOL NOPE. Now all my core coursework is over ten years old, so I would have to start doing it all over again. I can't bring myself to start over from scratch.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

leica posted:

I used to teach piano to get through university and I can tell you your problem isn't with common core its with lovely teachers.

This is a cheap trick being taught because the teacher can't be bothered to teach how to actually add and subtract in a way the student understands. Common core's requirements are actually pretty solid but the way its being interpreted is garbage.

If you've ever taken a music lesson you may be familiar with the old "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" and whatever the other one is to memorize musical notes. This is a cheap trick that's garbage and almost inevitably causes the child to pause and mutter to his/herself at every note. The better way is to break it down into sections using flashcards and notes in that section, only moving forward when they have a fast recall of those notes.

The problem with real teaching versus these tricks is that progress is slower with the real method and more work intensive. The upside to real teaching though is that the student understands what's going on and can tackle something more complex easier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I used to teach piano to get through university and I can tell you your problem isn't with common core its with lovely teachers.

This is a cheap trick being taught because the teacher can't be bothered to teach how to actually add and subtract in a way the student understands. Common core's requirements are actually pretty solid but the way its being interpreted is garbage.

If you've ever taken a music lesson you may be familiar with the old "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" and whatever the other one is to memorize musical notes. This is a cheap trick that's garbage and almost inevitably causes the child to pause and mutter to his/herself at every note. The better way is to break it down into sections using flashcards and notes in that section, only moving forward when they have a fast recall of those notes.

The problem with real teaching versus these tricks is that progress is slower with the real method and more work intensive. The upside to real teaching though is that the student understands what's going on and can tackle something more complex easier.

This. Exactly this. Most Public School has just turned into a children's version of cram school. Pound in as much as you can, throw a standardized test at them, dump that info and move on.

Its pretty disgusting how much potential is being wasted via bad teaching methods and State pushed standardized testing.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 7, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

1500quidporsche posted:

...This is a cheap trick being taught because the teacher can't be bothered to teach how to actually add and subtract in a way the student understands...
I'm in my mid-30s and I literally never heard of "common core math" until some parents brought it up as a side conversation in an unrelated class I was taking.

I'm not sure what goes on in your head when you subtract double-or-more-digit figures, but here's what goes on in mine (taking two three digit numbers chosen at random):

427 - 329 =

"400 is 100 away from 300. The number "27" is smaller than "29", so my answer is gonna be under 100. Looking at the second place digit, they're both "2s", so I know my answer's gonna be ninety something. 9 is bigger than 7, so I'll have to borrow 10 from the "20" to make up the difference. 17 minus 9 is 8, so the ones-place digit is 8. I borrowed 10 from the 20, meaning it's lower by 10, so I have to borrow 100 from the 4. That gives 90. And since we had to borrow 100 from the 4, the hundreds-place digits are both now 3, leaving me with 98 as my answer."

It was effectively trivial to remember, by rote, any single-digit-subtracted-from-19-or-less answers. Past that, I've only got to remember if I "borrowed" from the next number up one at a time to be able to figure out any length subtraction.

So, regardless of what was being taught, I learned to reduce any subtraction problem (or addition, multiplication, division) into the smallest possible chunk I could easily handle in my head and then do, for lack of a better term, checkpointing in expanding those chunks into the answer. Again, not knowing what common core math is, is it any cheaper of a trick than what I ended up doing (and still do to this day?).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

All this common core talk and chat about people's issues with spouses and stuff makes me think that maybe there is an upside to being a loser who never found a wife and had kids. Ok, it's a bit of a lonely upside sometimes, but got to search for that silver lining!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fo3 posted:

Roasted chicken with lemon, thyme, garlic and butter is soo good. Then you realise the breasts are still the worst part.
So you either a) buy the whole chook, butcher it up and save the breasts for a quick stir fry or grill (or sandwich meat), but still roast the thighs/marylands, or wings and drumsticks, or b) stop buying whole chooks and just buy the non breast pieces.
I still do 'a' so I can save a lot of offcuts and bones for stock, but that's extra effort and freezer space needed. But I don't roast breast meat anymore, just stirfry, pan fry or braise in sauce and covered in the oven.

Somehow the breast meat stays nice and moist with perfectly crispy skin using my method (actually Thomas Keller's method). For the longest time, I thought I needed to keep a piece of tinfoil on top of the breast for half the cooking time to avoid overcooking it, but it's not actually necessary. Just truss the bird well and it'll all turn out great.

Yeah, the white meat isn't nearly as delicious and succulent as the dark meat, but it's still drat tasty with a bit of mustard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

This. Exactly this. Most Public School has just turned into a children's version of cram school. Pound in as much as you can, throw a standardized test at them, dump that info and move on.

Its pretty disgusting how much potential is being wasted via bad teaching methods and State pushed standardized testing.

And then stack that up with ever-decreasing funding (hell, in AZ, it was never there to begin with and yet somehow they're still cutting school budgets). One of the local districts has been gutted so badly they're going to four-day school weeks.

The state elected a superintendent with literally no qualifications, almost entirely because she had a (R) next to her name. The entirety of her campaign was "COMMON CORE IS BAD BECAUSE THE FEDS WANT IT". When even in this right-wing hell you still had some Republican politicians endorsing the Democratic candidate, you know it's bad.

Between her and the governor, public education has already taken such a massive kick in the junk in just the last six months or so that I really have to consider sending my daughter to charter / private schools when she goes into elementary school.

Sigma X posted:

So, regardless of what was being taught, I learned to reduce any subtraction problem (or addition, multiplication, division) into the smallest possible chunk I could easily handle in my head and then do, for lack of a better term, checkpointing in expanding those chunks into the answer. Again, not knowing what common core math is, is it any cheaper of a trick than what I ended up doing (and still do to this day?).

The problem is again, lovely teachers and a lovely system that only keeps the lovely teachers around. A good teacher, with or without common core, is not going to focus on the method a child uses to subtract two numbers as long as they can do it accurately, repeatably, and without a calculator. It shouldn't matter to anyone at all whether the method that works best for a given kid is the CC method, or borrowing, or any other "trick".

Teaching in AZ is becoming a job where unless you really, really want to deal with insane amounts of bullshit for seriously piss-poor pay, you don't do it unless you literally can't do anything else. I've got some friends and family who grew up wanting to be teachers, went and got teaching degrees, and were excellent teachers - and they all quit because the sheer quantity of bullshit a good teacher deals with is insane. Administrators who only care about the standardized tests to get funding, politics as bad or worse than any private sector job, parents who just don't care or get involved, entire education programs getting axed, the list goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

If average water intrusion past the "roof" = x, and the rotting rate of wood is f(x), calculate how long it would take to lose enough sanity to run your Deuce through the house.

FFS Adiabatic, I just about lost my poo poo while on a call with a client.
Would pay to have Kastein teach real-world math to kids :P

• Locked thread