Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Xavier434 posted:

I like FF1 quite a bit but I would pity anyone who got more than 2 white mages. I know there are clever ways that it can be done even with a party of 4 white mages, but ugh...I think most people would just quit.

Mostly you just learn to master the fine art of running the hell away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know... isn't playing a four job fiesta in FF1 just... I dunno... playing FF1 like normal?

Playing FF1 like normal means a lot of different things. For some players, it's "Fighter/Monk/WHM/BLM" and for others it involves Red Mages and Thieves. Probably no great task for an experienced player unless they get like four white mages or four black mages, but that's FF1's Berserker Risk.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Saigyouji posted:

Mostly you just learn to master the fine art of running the hell away.

That and grind the undead using Harm spells.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

As someone who has only ever beaten FFI with Fighter/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage, I would totally be down for a random challenge. I've messed a little bit with different parties and even just having no Fighter or two of one kind of mage makes a huge difference.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

pretty soft girl posted:

Depending on how far you want to go, a lot of private servers are super easy mode and support storyline missions through aht urghan so you could do a solo playthrough. A lot of things aren't quite calculated like retail does though so you can do stuff like have a red mage off hand a kraken club and hit with enspell iis for 50 additional damage a swing, or jack up a ninja's int/mab to ridiculous levels and sling 500 damage elemental: ni nukes constantly

(Despite access to these things the torama camp in onzozo is still terrible. Go camp your assault jerkin on your own time, thf or drg)

I thought the FFXI private servers were barely operational and generally didn't contain the story missions or anything, because the data for that stuff is stored server-side. And huge amounts of features are just broken or missing.

Also, every private FFXI server I've seen was like "We're going to make the game HARDCORE AGAIN and bring it back to the good old days of level 75 cap, before Abyssea RUINED the game and made it for DIRTY loving CASUALS" so I haven't ever seen much appeal in those...

But if they have it up to ToAU, that's kinda cool. Aht Urghan was the last storyline I beat - I never finished Wings of the Goddess, Abyssea or Aldouin. I'm almost definitely going to play during the upcoming free week and try to finish off the WOTG missions, but I'm also kinda rear end deep into FF14 right now and I would be a loving crazy person to try and subscribe to two MMOs at the exact same time.

Really, what SE needs to do, is they need to make FFXI free for anyone who subs to XIV. They're not going to make new content for it anymore after this year. Asking $13 a month for a game old enough to go through puberty with a skeleton crew dev team IS a hard sell if you've already finished most of the game's content.

SE charges insane amounts of money for everything though... because they can and people will pay it. $15 a pop for iOS games? Outrageous. And I bought a few because I'm an idiot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, every private FFXI server I've seen was like "We're going to make the game HARDCORE AGAIN and bring it back to the good old days of level 75 cap, before Abyssea RUINED the game and made it for DIRTY loving CASUALS" so I haven't ever seen much appeal in those...

The only private server I briefly played on had teleporting NPCs and stores that sold decent high end gear for a pittance, so they certainly aren't all like that if any of them still are.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Talk about FF1 has made me go put FF Origins on my Vita. I've only played the NES version off FF1 and got like maybe halfway through it. FF1 reminds me of a DnD campaign in a weird way and for some reason that appeals to me. I'd like to actually get through it sometime

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Talk about FF1 has made me go put FF Origins on my Vita. I've only played the NES version off FF1 and got like maybe halfway through it. FF1 reminds me of a DnD campaign in a weird way and for some reason that appeals to me. I'd like to actually get through it sometime

Well considering it was based, in part, on DND and has a bunch of DND monsters, that would make sense

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Final Fantasy 1 is basically a weird knock off D&D, even down to having spell charges per day for the caster classes and depicting Bahamut as a dragon instead of a fish-like deity, which is something only D&D did prior to Final Fantasy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I hate it how the NES Final Fantasies have spell charges per day like D&D. Just doesn't work in a game so well. I think that's why I liked FF1: Dawn of Souls for GBA - it got rid of that and replaced it with MP.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Gammatron 64 posted:

I hate it how the NES Final Fantasies have spell charges per day like D&D. Just doesn't work in a game so well. I think that's why I liked FF1: Dawn of Souls for GBA - it got rid of that and replaced it with MP.

I think it would have worked better if the intelligence stat in ff1 actually worked correctly and white mages/black mages could actually cast their limited spell counts to their full effectiveness instead of being replaceable by red mages and charged items. I actually liked the spells per day in ff3nes since the total charges per level went to 99 instead of 9. Near end game your casters would have a huge number of charges for lower level spells and a handful for the end game spells, so some lower level spells still maintained their usefulness.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Gammatron 64 posted:

It sort of missed the mark with the makeshift spells per day system only because in D&D the spells themselves usually scaled up in effectiveness too. Even when you're well past level 5, you're likely still going to be chucking out 3rd level spells (fireball, lightning bolt, maybe haste). Whereas fire 2 will lose its effectiveness eventually since monster HP is going up but fire 2's damage is static. The MP system works better for a video game I think but jamming it into ff1 just neuters the difficulty for me.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I was never a fan of spell charges either, but the way the original NES FFI is balanced they work pretty well. Magic is a pretty huge gently caress THESE GUYS button that you have to save for really bad situations. If you make it all the way through a dungeon without using your best spells, you can nuke the boss in like three turns. Alternatively, you can use them to save you from some particularly bad fights, but end up having a more protracted fight with the boss. Magic is a much rarer and more precious resource than in later games, but it's balanced around that.

At least until the back half of the game, when you get items that cast spells when used with no limit. FFI is weird because the first half is way harder than the second. The last time I played it, some of the early dungeons and bosses still made me sweat, but I beat the final boss in one and a half turns.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Fangamer.com is including cards with orders currently, and you can request which one you'd like. They will try to fulfill your request as best they can, but they have a pretty great FFVI one:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've never been a fan of the FF1 ports since they wind up making the game way too easy with the changes, and when most of the tension is removed there's not much else to the experience.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Fangamer.com is including cards with orders currently, and you can request which one you'd like. They will try to fulfill your request as best they can, but they have a pretty great FFVI one:

No Gogo!? No sale! Although Relm is painting Ultros so...that's pretty cute.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
For some reason, the style makes me think of fever dream Snorks and isn't exactly my thing. The Ultros thing is neat though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think spell charges are interesting in theory but can't stand alone.

"This is a powerful spell, I can use it once per day" is cool but needs to be balanced by "these are less-powerful spells I can use more regularly."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm cool with it in Suikoden.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ragequit posted:

Not actually used to seeing Terra so happy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

"This is a powerful spell, I can use it once per day" is cool but needs to be balanced by "these are less-powerful spells I can use more regularly."

Well it is based on first edition D&D. Less powerful spells you can use regularly was a thing starting from 3rd edition D&D, called cantrips.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The early game definitely suffers because your mages have like two casts of their good spells and their normal attack does no damage so your physical guys are just carting around tactical nukes. By the midgame you get so many casts of your early level spells that you can start using them effectively on more threatening enemies that have vulnerabilities. I definitely got a lot of uses out of the first-level fire and ice spells around the volcano and ice cave. By the endgame that becomes less practical, but by then you have actual weapons your mages can equip, as well as infinite-use items to do most of your incidental spellcasting for you.

It's far from perfect, but I prefer the limited castings to the MP systems in the remakes because it really is better balanced for what the game is.

Ragequit posted:

The shape made me think it was a mousepad, which I would buy instantly.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
use it as a mousepad

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ragequit posted:

Huh, I hadn't been to that site in forever. They have some cool poo poo. I really like this print of the Dark Souls map and those FF6 playing cards.

This means I'm one step away from getting a loving Lootcrate subscription or something, doesn't it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Huh, I hadn't been to that site in forever. They have some cool poo poo. I really like this print of the Dark Souls map and those FF6 playing cards.

This is really cool, except that New Londo isn't beneath Lost Izalith.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well it is based on first edition D&D. Less powerful spells you can use regularly was a thing starting from 3rd edition D&D, called cantrips.

I dunno, I wouldn't say the "everyday spells" were really a thing until 4e. Cantrips fuckin' blew, but 4e gave you an assortment of spells you could cast at will that were pretty good, but not necessarily any better than a fighter's normal at-will attacks.

Yeah I generally like Fangamer. Some of their offerings are a little :raise: and way too political for me, but their good poo poo is good poo poo. Got my bro who likes FF6 best the Blackjack shirt for Christmas, got my other buddy who likes 7 best the Shinra Power Company shirt.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 7, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

This means I'm one step away from getting a loving Lootcrate subscription or something, doesn't it

I've bought stuff from them before (including those FF6 playing cards because why not) and I have no complaints about them. Hell, they usually add all sorts of goodies (I got a "cut and fold this to make a 3Dish Thwomp" thing before, and I've got a couple stickers of Zelda potions and one of robot Ness) on top of what you order. And the shirts are nice in that they're video game shirts I actually wear in public.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Remember that godawful FF9 guide? It's back! And this time they're going to put the tips inside the book. :confuoot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nihilarian posted:

Remember that godawful FF9 guide? It's back! And this time they're going to put the tips inside the book. :confuoot:

SaGa Frontier's guide was outright full of incorrect information, including boss stats, and when it came to that fucker Virgil the game was basically like "ok do combos... oh you want a list of some combos you might be able to setup to make the fight not total bullshit? Well gently caress you buddy."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Don't, lootcrate kinda sucks, I did it for a couple months. Just order the good stuff like that Celes poster or Rydia facing down Golbez or that train suplex thing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

SaGa Frontier's guide was outright full of incorrect information, including boss stats, and when it came to that fucker Virgil the game was basically like "ok do combos... oh you want a list of some combos you might be able to setup to make the fight not total bullshit? Well gently caress you buddy."

To be fair, it's a SaGa game, and I don't think human beings were meant to understand the underlying mechanics. I can understand why they'd screw it up, given everything that goes on in that series.

To be less fair, you'd think they'd work with the devs to get info, but that sounds like a lot of effort. Just have the intern work on it for a week and poo poo something out, it'll be fine.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Me throughout FFX's endgame: "I don't feel like doing any of the sidequest bullshit. I kinda want to just finish the game."

Me during the second part of the final boss: "I'm gonna have to do the sidequest bullshit oh god gently caress this goddamn game aaaaaaaaaghhh!!!!"

I guess I just scraped through the last parts of the game underpowered to some degree and then the second form of the end boss shows up and I get wrecked constantly. That attack where he hits everyone just murders practically everyone. I guess I should make some stoneproof poo poo because petrification removes Haste which is a real pain in the loving rear end let me tell you.

Basically I am apparently nowhere near done with FFX yet and I am mad as a result.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On the other hand he has the coolest boss theme ever as he smites you down over and over.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Eej posted:

On the other hand he has the coolest boss theme ever as he smites you down over and over.

This is the only thing keeping me going. It is pretty sick.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

If you just do the sidequests to get the secret summons you can pretty much ride them to victory iirc

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
As someone who just did all of them, I can verify that just doing the secret summons is the only damned thing worth it and still fun.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I only made one of the ultimate weapons, Auron's, but it was enough to completely wreck the final boss. You just have to capture a mess of monsters for that arena thing, not actually defeat any of the crazy poo poo.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bloodychill posted:

Don't, lootcrate kinda sucks, I did it for a couple months. Just order the good stuff like that Celes poster or Rydia facing down Golbez or that train suplex thing.

The Ashen video from last month lootcrate is a good example to not subscribe. Even if you don't click the video, the thumbnail will show you the quality of content you get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PlypCTMEA

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

epitasis posted:

If you just do the sidequests to get the secret summons you can pretty much ride them to victory iirc

And taking the 15 mins it'll do to get these will net you Yuna's ULtimate weapon and you can just laugh your way to the bank as you Do 100k Holy damage without any grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

A switch just flipped in my head and suddenly I've decided to do a bunch of sidequests, including the optional Aeons. Is this what they call stockholm syndrome