Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
What can I use this SD-Memory card for that I found in my early days? I've also been lugging around this military blackbox for a while now, so once I learn how to use them those can be my new goal other than my need for a stethoscope.

I am also firmly entrenched in the 'gently caress skill rust' camp. I wasn't having it in DF and I ain't gonna have it in here.

An idea I was kicking around in my head is that raised skills in fighting shouldn't necessarily increase damage to the ridiculous amounts it goes to. I think it should just increase accuracy and keep your nerves steady when fighting zombies and other creatures. This way, zombies of all kinds still retain a legit threat rather than a pinata of miscellaneous clothing and items.

EDIT: Ever found the handloader's helper? 72 god dang recipes... :v:

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

berzerker posted:

Also lots of furry equipment that, unlike survivor gear and ancient weapons, are not given the option of excluding via mod by default.

If you don't burn every fursuit you find to fuel your bio-monster I don't know what to tell you.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Blackray Jack posted:

What can I use this SD-Memory card for that I found in my early days? I've also been lugging around this military blackbox for a while now, so once I learn how to use them those can be my new goal other than my need for a stethoscope.

I am also firmly entrenched in the 'gently caress skill rust' camp. I wasn't having it in DF and I ain't gonna have it in here.

An idea I was kicking around in my head is that raised skills in fighting shouldn't necessarily increase damage to the ridiculous amounts it goes to. I think it should just increase accuracy and keep your nerves steady when fighting zombies and other creatures. This way, zombies of all kinds still retain a legit threat rather than a pinata of miscellaneous clothing and items.

SD cards can be checked on a E-ink tablet and can contain photos and music to raise your spirits, random recipes, or more usually, nothing. Sometimes they even encrypt their useless text files on those SD cards to add insult to injury. Afterwards you can take the thing and shove in into a digital camera and transfer pictures I guess?

Military blackboxes can be scanned at a laboratory decryption area to print out piles upon piles of useless flight data. No, they never have anything interesting in them. No, I've tried. They don't. Give up. On the plus side, if you want to you can print a pile of the boring records out and tear them all up for paper in case you needed to roll up some joints.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

If by "lots" you mean a single item, then yes.

are all the tails and collars and poo poo like that added by a mod?

if so that's good. please let me know which mod, so that i may turn it off, because i like my crafting windows uncluttered.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

nftyw posted:

On the plus side, if you want to you can print a pile of the boring records out and tear them all up for paper in case you needed to roll up some joints.

Nothing like smoking the records of someone's last moments of terror.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

are all the tails and collars and poo poo like that added by a mod?

if so that's good. please let me know which mod, so that i may turn it off, because i like my crafting windows uncluttered.

No, they are not. You'll have to either make a mod to remove 'em or hope someone else does.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

deptstoremook posted:

Second, and this one is directed at you, GlyphGryph, since it looks like you've done a lot of the writing/lore. One of my favorite things about DDA is its sense of irony, not only with the zombies/Lovecraftian horrors, but also with how it pokes fun at survivalism. Yet in the design document, you (or someone) said "the Cataclysm world takes itself fairly seriously" (paraphrasing, maybe). To me, this doesn't really seem to be the case, and I wonder what the aesthetic sensibility is on the dev team.

I was definitely involved for a while, even though I'm not anymore, so I'll try to say at least where I was coming from. There's definitely a lot of intentional irony and subtle commentary, but I think the world of Cataclysm has to take itself seriously for that sort of thing to work - it has elements that are supposed to be satirical but it generally doesn't stray all the way into parody. That doesn't mean that we, as the players, have to take it seriously. There's also hardly a single cohesive voice tying it all together.

I do know most of the furry items were added (maybe not by the person writing the pr, but by the person merging it) specifically to piss off goons, and honestly I always found the amount of whining over it as a result quite satisfying. (Sorry guys)

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

No, they are not. You'll have to either make a mod to remove 'em or hope someone else does.

We already have. And anyone can easily add to their own blacklist so things they don't want.

Nothing like being a fresh character and have your crafting menu loaded up with a dozen furry tails and collars!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

honestly I always found the amount of whining over it as a result quite satisfying. (Sorry guys)

Why?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I am a bad person?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Personally I don't care that much, craft section bloat is why the subcategories exist anyway. I don't see the mod to remove the fursuit items though unless that's under something else like the disable mutagens mod, if so you should really add that to the description.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's an incredibly minor thing to spend so much time complaining about considering it has no measurable gameplay impact. If it was really added to piss off goons then I say mission successful and good job.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Personally I don't care that much, craft section bloat is why the subcategories exist anyway. I don't see the mod to remove the fursuit items though unless that's under something else like the disable mutagens mod, if so you should really add that to the description.

There's a general "clutter removal" mod that removes not just the furry items but most of the vanity/decorative ones, isn't there?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

There's a general "clutter removal" mod that removes not just the furry items but most of the vanity/decorative ones, isn't there?

Not in the experimental I have. There are 9 "no X" mods that only remove Rivtech guns or survivor armor and so forth, then there is a "disable mutagen" mod by Kevin Granade and a "disable religious texts" mod by somebody else; none of the mods in the list say they remove clutter.

e: said experimental is 3087, trying 3121 now

e2: Nope, there is no "remove clutter" or "clutter removal" mod, or at least none that actually say they do general clutter removal instead of just removing a specific type of item like mutagen/antique firearms and such.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 6, 2015

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there a mod to remove fungal things from the game?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Anticheese posted:

Is there a mod to remove fungal things from the game?

There is now. No guarantees, don't blame me if it breaks something, the usual.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

GlyphGryph posted:

I was definitely involved for a while, even though I'm not anymore, so I'll try to say at least where I was coming from. There's definitely a lot of intentional irony and subtle commentary, but I think the world of Cataclysm has to take itself seriously for that sort of thing to work - it has elements that are supposed to be satirical but it generally doesn't stray all the way into parody. That doesn't mean that we, as the players, have to take it seriously. There's also hardly a single cohesive voice tying it all together.

Thanks, that makes sense: the game is certainly not a parody, and I get what you mean by the internal "seriousness" (barring some funny copy like "this beer is as dark as the days ahead"). I'm not surprised about the lack of cohesive voice, it's unfortunate but expected given that there's actually a hell of a lot of writing under the hood in this game.

You know, I actually never saw this as a big deal. If anything Cataclysm strives to be a (kinda sorta in a gamey way) accurate representation of the world after a sudden apocalypse, which is to say, a world where nothing remains but a sheer volume of junk. With that, I'd find it much more surprising not to find sex toys, furry suits, bondage gear. If anything the high number of different guns and ammo are much more of a drag on gameplay to me.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also the idea of some grizzled rear end survivor with Kevlar-lined scrap armour and a scratch-built pneumatic assault rifle finding a vibrator and going :aaaaa: like it's some legendary treasure is hysterically funny to me.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I don't mind vibrators and my current survivalist woodsman has worn a french maid's hat since I found the thing while fleeing from home.

Also: Really bad day start isn't that bad, and the points, my god.

Why yes I'll take 14 in all the stats and a ton of perks, why the gently caress not.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Also I can kinda see why novelty poo poo like fursuits would be a pain in the rear end if it filled your crafting menu,

Maybe make a book called Foam!! and Fur!! which contains all those recipes so you don't have to keep them or memorize them if you don't wanna.

Than you could just burn it when you come across it. Erasing the sins of the pre apocalypse world.

Its also worth noting while I've found fursuits kickin' it in drawers and stuff I've never actually had the recipes to craft them making GBS threads up my menu.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 7, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I do know most of the furry items were added (maybe not by the person writing the pr, but by the person merging it) specifically to piss off goons, and honestly I always found the amount of whining over it as a result quite satisfying. (Sorry guys)

This is a Good Plan.
What next... how about a character trait that works like Stylish, except it gives morale bonuses when you wear gear that matches your fursona?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of starting scenarios I started up another run since cabin world was getting too easy and also I turned the spawn rates too low. Decided to try Mall Cop.

After a few bad/semi-successful starts it seems like the best shot for survival is just getting the hell out of the mall and booking it for the nearest house/emergency shelter. And raiding the mall compared to a town just doesn't seem worth it, you get way less useful stuff compared to the sheer amount of zombies you have to kill and have to wander around trying to figure out what store is what. Probably makes a hella fun place to chop through cannon-fodder zombies late-game though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I don't understand why people think furries want to dress their character up as a pretend wolf when a robust mutation system exists to let them turn their character into actual furries of a species of their choosing. I thought it was always pretty clear that the wolf suit was a joke item.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I feel like such an idiot for getting salty over those items in the GDDA thread. :negative:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You guys are buying that? Didn't you see the reactions on their forums when the 'clutter/sex-stuff removal' mod was suggested?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i want a mod that removes michael jackson zombies and granades

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I raided a mansion and found a copy of The Book of Five Rings, which taught me a martial art called Niten Ichi-Ryu. I didn't find any information about it on the wiki or item database, and the only thing I found about it on google was a post on Reddit showing it doing 300+ damage per attack. I already used it and I know it kicks mountains of rear end, but if anybody can give me specific info about what it does I'd really appreciate it!

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
it turns you into this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I raided a mansion and found a copy of The Book of Five Rings, which taught me a martial art called Niten Ichi-Ryu. I didn't find any information about it on the wiki or item database, and the only thing I found about it on google was a post on Reddit showing it doing 300+ damage per attack. I already used it and I know it kicks mountains of rear end, but if anybody can give me specific info about what it does I'd really appreciate it!

I think you can check out the information on the styles screen? I think it's _ or + or something to change styles and rather than a punchy martial art it's Miyamoto Musashi's book of japanese sword skills. While katanas and wakizashis work well with it (not tantos because tantos are wannabe lame modern poo poo and suck) , it gets to the point where you are hitting so hard you literally blast corpses into useless bits. Probably the best thing about it is that you can make a bokken (wooden sword, sort of expensive) or a cudgel (extremely cheap) and tell shocker zombies to get rekt as you bash their brains in with a non-conductive weapon.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAkCLpMtjlM

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I always laugh when zombie games/comics/TV shows/whatever depict katanas as these unstoppable ~hanzo steel~ super lightsabres instead of showing them dulling, chipping, and outright breaking when some moron tries to use them to hack through human skulls and ribcages and poo poo. Same goes for chainsaws. If you're going to battle hordes of the undead, you want a weapon that'll deal respectable damage and stand up to a hell of a lot of abuse. Like an axe, or a hammer, or the morning star my Robocop is using. Or a spiked car bumper on a reinforced frame going a solid 60 km/h :black101:

What I'm saying here is that this game is dumb but fun, much like all zombie media. My character has most of what she needs to make a chainsaw and subsequently convert it to a combat chainsaw - how strong is that? I have plenty of gas, but only 1 cutting weapons skill compared to 5 bashing weapons. I just really like the idea of an armoured bionic doomsday cop screaming "YOU ARE ALL UNDER ARREST" and carving up an army of zombies with some ridiculous jury-rigged chainsaw glaive. Proportionate use of force :haw:

I can make an electric chainsaw too - is there an electric combat chainsaw, or do I have to choose one or the other? I know the chainsaw lajatang is terrible (just looking at how inaccurate and slow it is makes me cringe), so that's out.

e: I just looked it up on the item search thingy and the combat chainsaw does 82 cutting damage :psyduck: it's inaccurate and a bit slow to swing, but holy gently caress that damage. Also, apparently electric chainsaws can dig staircases/ramps in diggable terrain??

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 7, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because it's funny.

Seriously if you don't occasionally play a character who wanders around wearing a fursuit, a bra, a pair of army boots, and a cravat, wields a nail bat and is constantly off his tits on meth then I don't know what your idea of fun is.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I always laugh when zombie games/comics/TV shows/whatever depict katanas as these unstoppable ~hanzo steel~ super lightsabres instead of showing them dulling, chipping, and outright breaking when some moron tries to use them to hack through human skulls and ribcages and poo poo.

In case you aren't aware, there are two katana items in the game. Both are named katana, but examining one of them reveals that it is a cheap knockoff one which has poo poo damage and no special attacks.

I laughed pretty hard when I busted into a pawn shop because I saw a katana through the window and then wondered why I couldn't kill anything with it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 7, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Welp, my bionic cop just sprouted a rabbit tail :stare: I had no idea what the gently caress until I remembered that like three weeks ago in-game I found some plutonium cells, got all excited, then got suspicious of their damaged state and examined them while carrying them back to my car. As soon as I read "the casings are cracked, eerie green glow, etc" I chucked those loving things in a ditch and took some iodine, but apparently the residual radiation is turning my character into some kind of cybernetic demon rabbit. Ah well, apart from looking silly, it doesn't really do anything. I can live with this as long as I don't pick up more annoying mutations, and I have a vial of purifier stashed away for emergencies anyway.

OwlFancier posted:

In case you aren't aware, there are two katana items in the game. Both are named katana, but examining one of them reveals that it is a cheap knockoff one which has poo poo damage and no special attacks.

I laughed pretty hard when I busted into a pawn shop because I saw a katana through the window and then wondered why I couldn't kill anything with it.

I found a lovely replica Zweihänder in a museum :v: I laughed at the "material: Aluminum" listing in its stats.

e: It's kinda neat that Eyebots give you the nod if you're a bionic cop.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 7, 2015

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Went out exploring the furthest parts of the city I was in until nighttime fell, broke into an apartment complex to sleep until morning. I was woken up to the sweet brutality of a zombie brute smashing me into the apartment wall, my head nearly pulped, and 75 pain.

I load an explosive round into my shotgun aim at the brute 3 squares away and hope for the best. Absolutely pulp him into a fine mist, heal up using my first aid kits and pop 4 codeine pills I looted earlier. :fuckoff:

I seriously thought that was going to be the end of my adventure.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
What's a good way to attract a zombie horde to an area from a distance? I watched a zombie horde and a turret barricade in a city mutually annihilate each other and I'm wondering if I can get them to do the same to a military outpost.

E: Actually will zombies fight fungaloids/blobs? I've seen them fight lovecraftian monstera but I've been staying well away from spires and blob pits. I imagine the zombies would lose through sheer numbers though.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 7, 2015

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Use yourself as bait, don't get eaten. Alternatively shoot lots of bullets into the air like a Texan oilman.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Inadequately posted:

What's a good way to attract a zombie horde to an area from a distance?

The Noise Emitter is easy to craft and effective for gathering groups.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Inadequately posted:

What's a good way to attract a zombie horde to an area from a distance? I watched a zombie horde and a turret barricade in a city mutually annihilate each other and I'm wondering if I can get them to do the same to a military outpost.

E: Actually will zombies fight fungaloids/blobs? I've seen them fight lovecraftian monstera but I've been staying well away from spires and blob pits. I imagine the zombies would lose through sheer numbers though.

Gunshots are always good. A compressed air horn is also pretty much made for that purpose. I usually don't have too much trouble keeping a decent sized horde on my trail without noise as long as I manage my distance properly and don't drag any smokers along to break line of sight. That's probably a decent strategy to take on an outpost if you can lure the horde to it without getting mowed down. Zombies will fight with fungal monsters, and fungal spores can infect zombies turning them into fungal zombies .

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, just killing the turrets myself would be way easier than luring the hordes there. I just wanna do it because it'll be funny.

E: okay after a marathon crafting session and downing a gallon jug of slime serum I now have Omnicelular and far more goo canisters than necessary. Who needs zombies when I can generate a horde from thin air?

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
if you could somehow keep the horde going to the outpost without having to lead them, it would be a pretty efficient way to handle it. How robust is the RC system? Can I build an RC car with a horn and a camera? I really need an RC car that can lure hordes of zombies into military outposts or bandit camps.