Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Last Episode loving blows besides the new music track it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Last Episode is where it needed to close.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The true mascot is Lion Saber the other ones are just variations of her

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!
So, UBW good, I was always under the impression that the reason Rin could keep Saber around was because Shirou was providing her with a boost in mana through the mana-link-thing? Like, she probably would struggle on her own, but the not-quite-as-tiny-as-usual top up that post-UBW Shirou can provide allows her to do that plus have a bit of mana spare in case of actually wanting to do magic.

Of course, I haven't played the game in years, so I could be super wrong.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That's one reason, yes.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rin can support a Servant without the grail with just her magic circuits but it takes like 80% of her prana.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

-Troika- posted:

Rin can support a Servant without the grail with just her magic circuits but it takes like 80% of her prana.

I've been meaning to ask, where did the term "prana" come from vice the more oft used "mana"? Was it some weird Nasu-ism in one of the earlier releases?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

AlternateNu posted:

I've been meaning to ask, where did the term "prana" come from vice the more oft used "mana"? Was it some weird Nasu-ism in one of the earlier releases?

I think the distinction is that prana is the magic that comes from a person (or living thing, w/e) specifically and mana is just the ambient magic energy in the air.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AlternateNu posted:

They're both different words, with different origins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

AlternateNu posted:

Mana is a Polynesian term for supernatural power.

Prana is an Indian equivalent concept to qi/chi, a supernatural life force related to breathing and bloodflow.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the important thing to note here is that neither are actually used in the Japanese, as far as I know. I'm betting some translator just thought they were appropriate, and probably wrote an essay somewhere justifying their choice.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The three terms used in the English fandom are Prana for magical energy in general, od for magic from within the body, and mana for atmospheric energy. In Japanese they just say magical energy in all cases.

As for why the distinction arose, beats the gently caress out of me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Until proven otherwise, we have to assume that they made a bet that they could get everyone to say Prana on message boards.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

AlternateNu posted:

In jp it's all magical energy but Mirror moon decided to be fancy and designated od as magical energy from the body, mana as magical energy from the world and prana as magical energy after being processed through circuits.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Twiddy posted:

Kirie fight

quote:

Kirie fight

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Clarste posted:

I think the important thing to note here is that neither are actually used in the Japanese, as far as I know. I'm betting some translator just thought they were appropriate, and probably wrote an essay somewhere justifying their choice.

This is what I was really asking, actually. :shobon:

Though, to be perfectly honest, I've heard the term "maya" more often in the Indian/Hindu context. Though, that is less generic magical energy, I guess. And more related to the mystical aspects of the Brahman.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Gonna attempt to play through Fate with the new patch for like the third time. The beginning was painful but the first Rin/Sakura/Taiga breakfast scene is keeping me going for now. Probably because it didn't actually involve Saber so when she enters the picture again I'll lose the will to live and give up again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Which character is that one? Looks like the proto-Sakura from Kara no Kyokai.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Fujou Kirie from the first Kara no Kyoukai movie.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Gonna attempt to play through Fate with the new patch for like the third time. The beginning was painful but the first Rin/Sakura/Taiga breakfast scene is keeping me going for now. Probably because it didn't actually involve Saber so when she enters the picture again I'll lose the will to live and give up again.
:catstare:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The beginning of Fate is a lot worse than I remember it, largely because every scene with Saber/Shirou is either really boring or awkward without actually being funny and it saps whatever energy I have to read them.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kyte posted:

In jp it's all magical energy but Mirror moon decided to be fancy and designated od as magical energy from the body, mana as magical energy from the world and prana as magical energy after being processed through circuits.

"mana" and "od" are actually canon names, and are sometimes used as furigana over the usual "magical energy".
The "prana" name is only fanon terminology. Magical energy processed by circuits has no special name.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Endorph posted:

is saber even interested in shirou in UBW

Saber is hot for his justice in every route

Clarste posted:

Rin doesn't have an exceptionally huge amount of mana (good for a mage, but not super-awesome), so that just begs the question of why no one else did it earlier, or why Gil needed a special circumstance to explain his existence. Also, I don't think it makes any sense from Saber's perspective to want to stick around. She hasn't gone through her character development in Fate, so she should still be seeking the Grail, which no longer exists in Rin's world. And it's not like she was ever super-best friends with them in UBW: she respects them, but certainly not enough to give up her life's dream for them. The Good Ending of UBW just makes no sense at all.

Again, UBW Good is a fanservice ending. It was very clearly implied that Rin doesn't have enough mana to keep Saber around, she expects Shirou to repeatedly Mana Transfer Dragon both of them until everyone dies of old age or whatever.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 7, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

Saber is hot for his justice in every route

Again, UBW Good is a fanservice ending. It was very clearly implied that Rin doesn't have enough mana to keep Saber around, she expects Shirou to repeatedly Mana Transfer Dragon both of them until everyone dies of old age or whatever.

Ugh, this isn't true:

quote:

"First of all, I'm giving Saber most of my magical energy, so she should work to compensate for that. The fundamental rule of magic is equivalent exchange.
Or what? Are you not happy that Saber stayed?"

Shirou providing his dragon mana is just to help out.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ugh, this isn't true:

Shirou providing his dragon mana is just to help out.

Continue on:

quote:

Look, it certainly is hard for me to maintain Saber by myself. But we have one more magus here. We should be able to maintain Saber with the two of us . . ."

. . .I'll supply Saber with magical energy, so all you need to do is help me. I won't be as bad as Saber, but I'll be at an inconvenience as well."

I don't know what she's angry about, but Tohsaka explains while looking away. Let's put that aside for now.

"…? What do you mean by 'help'?" I address the biggest question I have.

*Rin blushes* "W-well, a lot of things. It's not something I should mention, right?"

Even if you assume Rin has all the magic, it doesn't even matter. The point is that UBW Good is a dumb fanservice harem ending where Shirou has to repeatedly pork one or both of them to assist in sustaining Saber's existence.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
clearly shirou getting laid is a bad thing and goes against the laws of the universe

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pretty sure large amounts of sex was part of the plan Saber or not unless teenagers in Nasuland are quite different.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm glad shirou is getting laid, he's a good guy

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Every Rin deserves a butler and a trophy wife.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

i'm glad shirou is getting laid, he's a good guy

This is why UBW is clearly the best route. Even the awful Nasu sex-scene in that route manages to end up just being funny.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Rodyle posted:

Every Rin deserves a butler and a trophy wife.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

clearly shirou getting laid is a bad thing and goes against the laws of the universe

it does because obv the original timeline where Shirou became Archer he was forever alone

If Archer really wanted to un-exist, he just needed to seduce Shirou, not kill him.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

it does because obv the original timeline where Shirou became Archer he was forever alone

If Archer really wanted to un-exist, he just needed to seduce Shirou, not kill him.

I thought there was a line about Archer having a lover somewhere. Many people seem to assume it was Ilya (ick!), but my pet theory is that Archer hooked up with Ciel, since she's the one who gave him his shroud.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Silver2195 posted:

I thought there was a line about Archer having a lover somewhere. Many people seem to assume it was Ilya (ick!), but my pet theory is that Archer hooked up with Ciel, since she's the one who gave him his shroud.

Actually there was originally suppose to be an Ilya route as well but it was eventually scrapped. Perhaps that route led to Shirou becoming Archer, though we will probably never know.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Myurton posted:

Actually there was originally suppose to be an Ilya route as well but it was eventually scrapped. Perhaps that route led to Shirou becoming Archer, though we will probably never know.

That was the fan theory I've heard. Fun enough, the OVA for Carnival Phantasm has a skit with a giant Grail-possessed Illya bemoaning her lost route. :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Silver2195 posted:

my pet theory is that Archer hooked up with Ciel, since she's the one who gave him his shroud.
For some reason I thought that was Rin. Or was it just that she turned it into Archer's clothes?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Paracelsus posted:

For some reason I thought that was Rin. Or was it just that she turned it into Archer's clothes?

I think the story went like Ciel provided the cloth > Rin ruins it trying to make a cape > Shirou fixes it up.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Nasu mentioned somewhere that Archer got his shroud from, iirc, a member of the Church with a penchant for curry.

Clearly it means Curry DeMarche. :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ciel likes Pasta actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol Strange/Fake Saber is actually Richard Lionheart instead of Proto-Arthur