Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I generally publish a book every month. There are better times for sales, but it's harder to rank during those times as the traditional publishers are pushing all of their books at that time. So I think it's pretty much a wash and I wouldn't recommend waiting before publishing. My two best breakouts were both in March (this year and last), so there you go. The quicker you publish, the better imo, all other things being equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

moana posted:

I generally publish a book every month. There are better times for sales, but it's harder to rank during those times as the traditional publishers are pushing all of their books at that time. So I think it's pretty much a wash and I wouldn't recommend waiting before publishing. My two best breakouts were both in March (this year and last), so there you go. The quicker you publish, the better imo, all other things being equal.

Do you write and complete a book every month? Or is it like, write book one month, edit and revisions the next month while also writing another book?

Either way, that schedule sounds really intense. And don't you have a day job, too?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

It's no more than what most of the successful people in this thread are doing, really, that's 2-3 hours of writing per day. I quit my day job last year. The whole write/edit timeline is usually a month and a half, but I publish every month.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

moana posted:

It's no more than what most of the successful people in this thread are doing, really, that's 2-3 hours of writing per day. I quit my day job last year. The whole write/edit timeline is usually a month and a half, but I publish every month.
DAYAMN.

You are a machine.

I say this in all jealousy. I mean honesty.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
How did everyone do in April? :) Any new sales records, amazing word-counts, etc?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Won't know until the 15th when we find out the KU rate, but I'm pretty sure this'll be my first six-figure month :toot:

Pretty sure I'll quit right before I hit the million mark just to make Sean mad~

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

moana posted:

Won't know until the 15th when we find out the KU rate, but I'm pretty sure this'll be my first six-figure month :toot:

You inspire me...to get rich

I'm trying to write 30,000+ words this month, probably going to be closer to 40,000-50,000

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 7, 2015

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

Pretty sure I'll quit right before I hit the million mark just to make Sean mad~

loving fantastic, Moana. Congratulations! I had a fantastic month as well, though I'm an order of magnitude below you. :)

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

moana posted:

That is awesome. Tell me all the secrets.

Secret 1: Be able to publish a book every month...

I should probably start with that one, really. This first book is going to take me 3 months, minimum. If I can't do 2 and 3 within two months each, I might have to reconsider this life plan...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Secret 1: Be able to publish a book every month...

I should probably start with that one, really. This first book is going to take me 3 months, minimum. If I can't do 2 and 3 within two months each, I might have to reconsider this life plan...
I think my first two novels took longer than that, actually. It really gets easier to more you go. My first novel flopped hard. Fifteenish novels later, I'm starting to get the hang of it. The only secret is to keep improving with every book and don't give up.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

moana posted:

I would explode into a ball of flames, you have no idea.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

moana posted:

I think my first two novels took longer than that, actually. It really gets easier to more you go. My first novel flopped hard. Fifteenish novels later, I'm starting to get the hang of it. The only secret is to keep improving with every book and don't give up.

Do you mean this in terms of the quality of work that you turn out, or in terms of marketing them / doing the "business" side of self-publishing?

If it's the former, how do you contend with people associating your name with the bad works and letting that negatively impact their view of the good ones? Or do you publish under different pseudonyms?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
If a novel flops hard enough, not enough people will have read or seen it to associate your name with it. It's not like people google your back catalog before they buy your book.

Now, if you've had five or six great ones and publish two or three shitters, then you might be in trouble.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Sundae posted:

loving fantastic, Moana. Congratulations! I had a fantastic month as well, though I'm an order of magnitude below you. :)
You still have a day job, though, right? When do you get to quit that poo poo?!

Drone posted:

Do you mean this in terms of the quality of work that you turn out, or in terms of marketing them / doing the "business" side of self-publishing?
Both.

quote:

If it's the former, how do you contend with people associating your name with the bad works and letting that negatively impact their view of the good ones? Or do you publish under different pseudonyms?
I've gone through three pen names so far, yeah.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

You still have a day job, though, right? When do you get to quit that poo poo?!

Yeah. :(

The countdown is started. :) I can't quit before July due to contractual obligations (I get a huge-rear end fine if I do). I was previously anticipating end of March 2016 due to wife's student loan payments and creating sufficient (1 yr) savings, but that was before my sales exploded over the last 1.5 months. If I keep up the current rate of sales, that deadline is going to move forward a lot.

I'm making more than my day-job (pre-tax/benefits) now, so it's looking really good. :)

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm slowly getting more and more comfortable with writing longer things. It used to be a struggle for me to get to 4K, now I can't keep anything under 6K and I'm frequently up over 10K.

Question the first: Has this been anyone else's experience? I'm curious to know if it's the normal process. Question the second: For those of you writing longer stuff (long novellas, novels, etc.), is that how you got to the point you're at? Or did you just kinda jump right into novel length?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I started writing in the 10k to 20k range. Last year my books were 30-45k words long. This year I'm aiming for 60-90k.

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

moana posted:

The only secret is to keep improving with every book and don't give up.

Of everything I've read since starting this whole thing in January, this is pretty much the most consistent advice. Keep writing, write more, write better, don't stop. There are all these tricks and marketing schemes out there, and some of it works and some of it doesn't, but ultimately it's all about writing more and better and figuring out what works for you. gently caress with your metadata all you want, but make sure you're still churning out those words.

Anyway, that's my mindset. I'm trying to think long term. I'll sell more books with 5 on the market than I did with 2. And I can't even consider/imagine/bank on some huge breakout hit. That kind of slow, methodical plodding doesn't come naturally to me. I want megasales right loving now. But I'm actually making some money (however little) on my writing for the first time ever, and I'm going to keep doing that.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've had two 5 digit months in a row. It's a pretty awesome feeling to make more writing than at my day job. There's a light at the end of the tunnel now, I can see it, just need more words, more novels, more more more!

My average day is now 2k-3k of words. It's amazing how your mind gets used to it, I used to struggle to write 1k a day, now I do that during the first cup of coffee. It's been really cool to watch my back catalog stabilize. With every release they've been selling better. Even my worst selling story, dogs in power armor, has paid for itself now.

My plan is materializing and it's settled at a few more good releases and reliably writing 4k a day. At that rate I can release a novel a month and be like my goonidol, moana. The other scifi guys in my niche that release at that rate are doing pretty drat well.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Yooper posted:

I've had two 5 digit months in a row. It's a pretty awesome feeling to make more writing than at my day job. There's a light at the end of the tunnel now, I can see it, just need more words, more novels, more more more!

My average day is now 2k-3k of words. It's amazing how your mind gets used to it, I used to struggle to write 1k a day, now I do that during the first cup of coffee. It's been really cool to watch my back catalog stabilize. With every release they've been selling better. Even my worst selling story, dogs in power armor, has paid for itself now.

My plan is materializing and it's settled at a few more good releases and reliably writing 4k a day. At that rate I can release a novel a month and be like my goonidol, moana. The other scifi guys in my niche that release at that rate are doing pretty drat well.

This is fantastic! 5 figures/month in scifi is just really a dream come true.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks!

Unfortunately this month is middle 4 digits, but hey, that's why I need more catalog.

At the end of the day, every problem, issue, concern, and piece of self doubt is solved by one thing.

Write More Words.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Yooper posted:

Unfortunately this month is middle 4 digits

now I have to take back everything I said :negative:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I feel the same way.

:saddowns:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Is there a resource somewhere that outlines various romance genre conventions? I have a friend who writes and may be interested in doing some freelance.

I'm also curious what people do to market their stuff? I illustrated and "wrote" an alphabet book a month back. I got passed around a local mom's group when I ran a promo, but otherwise my book has flatlined. I'm working on ideas for another children's book currently. I know it's a completely different genre than what most are doing here.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Yooper posted:

dogs in power armor

Go on......

I must know more.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sundae posted:

Go on......

I must know more.

Haha I had to look this up too, doesn't really look like my thing but you can find it pretty easy if you search for the blurbs in the thread.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sundae posted:

Go on......

I must know more.

DogForge was my first stand alone novel after finishing a series. It was either that, or a piece about a drunken starship captain who accidentally steals the clone of the Emperor. It was a blast to write, I finished it in no time flat, and it sold like poo poo. Like DogShit.

I don't dwell on it, instead I focused on writing the next novel which peaked at about #250 on Amazon.

DogForge

quote:

The world is not as it seems.

Forge, a planet so harsh that only the largest, toughest and meanest survive.

Denali is none of these things. She is a runt, saved from a crashed starship, and striving to find her place in the pack. Now her second birthday approaches and with it a trial to become an adult. If she completes the trial she will earn the respect of the pack, a set of implanted metal teeth, and get to keep her consciousness. No one knows what happens to those who fail, they’re never seen again.

What Denali discovers shatters her view of the world. The stars are filled with amazing things, starships, armored walkers, aliens, legions of dogs, and never ending war. What begins as a struggle to survive is now a struggle for freedom. Through it all she seeks to find her place, to know her past, and do what is right. But then her past collides with her duty and the freedom of her race is at stake. To make matters worse, she has a twelve hundred year old artificial intelligence stuck in her head.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

smallmouth posted:

Is there a resource somewhere that outlines various romance genre conventions?

From the OP: howtowritearomancenovel.com

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Yooper posted:

DogForge

that cover is amazing

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

the brotherly phl posted:

that cover is amazing

all yooper's covers are pretty great

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

They got good once I quit trying to do them.

Seriously, don't do your own cover.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I missed that. Danke.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

A couple years ago I read an awesome sci-fi book about a warring species of telekenetic dogs. A human crashlands on their plannet and builds a radio for one of the dog armies etc etc. I think it was nominated for a hugo award but I can't remember the name of it and google is failing me.

My collection of short stories is doing decent. Have made 100 bucks so far! I'm having a tough time motivating myself to write when I come home from work, so I'm thinking that I might try writing in the morning before work.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fire_Upon_the_Deep

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Learning of the year: You will never be satisfied with the amount you are making. I made $500+ per day for the last 30 days or so, but today is only on pace for about $375. That's still over $10K a month, and I'm actually disappointed.

I'm publishing another 25K words today, so hopefully they'll get be back into the stratosphere again. :D

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

laxbro posted:

A couple years ago I read an awesome sci-fi book about a warring species of telekenetic dogs. A human crashlands on their plannet and builds a radio for one of the dog armies etc etc. I think it was nominated for a hugo award but I can't remember the name of it and google is failing me.

My collection of short stories is doing decent. Have made 100 bucks so far! I'm having a tough time motivating myself to write when I come home from work, so I'm thinking that I might try writing in the morning before work.

It's funny you should mention that. The first one is "a fire upon the deep" and I read it a few months ago. I thought it was a self-published thing from a new author so I picked it up at a free promotion, I had no idea it had been awarded literary prizes. I actually wasn't impressed and struggled through it but up until this time I thought it was just some guy in his basement

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
e: /\/\/\ f; b

laxbro posted:

A Fire Upon the Deep.

On a personal note I'm up to a whopping 4 pages a night!

Congrats everyone else on your accomplishments!

e: for content A Fire Upon the Deep is part of a trilogy I think? Just google Vernor Vinge. I can see my copy from here is how I know

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 8, 2015

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

laxbro posted:

I'm having a tough time motivating myself to write when I come home from work, so I'm thinking that I might try writing in the morning before work.

This is the only thing that works for me. I'm wrecked at the end of the day. Set the alarm to get up earlier, have coffee ready to brew, and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes--especially because the first task of the day is now something you actually look forward to :)

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Blue Scream posted:

This is the only thing that works for me. I'm wrecked at the end of the day. Set the alarm to get up earlier, have coffee ready to brew, and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes--especially because the first task of the day is now something you actually look forward to :)

Yea! I'm definitely a morning person. I'm gonna wake up at 5 instead of 6 and start sipping on my thermos of coffee. Won't do it 5 days a week, since I just started a new job and need to be on the ball. Writing is only a hobby right now, but you guys making 4+ figure months have me dreaming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

my new erotica writing schedule is to just stay up really late until I finish my words