Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Women: Kelly, PG, Mikaela, Stephanie, Ciera (I feel like she might actually kill it), Tasha, Kelley, Kass, Abi-Maria, Shirin (she would have to have learned from her mistakes...right?)

Men: Jeremy, Jim (hell yeah), Shane, Steven, Jeff, Joe, Mike, Spencer, Terry, Vytas

As for this season, Carolyn is looking reaaaaally strong. Mike obviously wins if he gets to the end, but if not, it seems like Carolyn has this in the bag. There's also some extra incentive for her team to keep her around as long as Mike is in the game in order to threaten him in challenges, as she's the only other challenge threat left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Shakugan posted:

How is Rob C not on the voting list? Jeff has said he's one of the best players to have never won, plus his teaming up with Fishbach would be amazing (for a time; it would probably torpedo them both.)

Rob has played twice and is not eligible (The Amazon and All-Stars).

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I didn't watch South Pacific as it aired and it is absolutely astonishing to see that anyone at all liked Jim Rice

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

xbilkis posted:

I didn't watch South Pacific as it aired and it is absolutely astonishing to see that anyone at all liked Jim Rice

Seriously, what an rear end in a top hat. Similarly surprised about the unironic love for Troyzan and Vytas. These guys all talked a big game, but never actually made any big moves. They were the Tylers of the season, the self-proclaimed strategist who never does anything except look strategic. Except, worse than Tyler, they were also assholes. They just gave cocky confessionals and were generally jerks to the other players (and, not coincidentally, all went out in early jury).

I won't post my personal list, but I will make the case for 3 players that don't seem to be getting a lot of votes here:

Keith: The closest thing to an old school player in a modern season. He clearly never saw an episode of Survivor in his life, which explains how he could have made so many bone-headed moves. Despite all that, he found an Idol which he didn't completely waste, made it to the Final 4, and almost won the game. I'd love to see if he learned anything now that he's more familiar with the game and general strategy.

Mikayla: She never really got a chance to play since she was immediately targeted for being too pretty by the psychopathic relative of a three-time player who never should have been cast in the first place. She also never stood a chance of penetrating the weird religious cult alliance on that tribe. A lot of the people on the list were screwed by some production twist; I'd argue she's one of the only people to be screwed by production casting. Even if she turns out to be a terrible player and first out, I think she at least deserves a fair chance to try.

Kass: Even if you hate her, she's almost certainly going to be one of the first ones out and also won't go down without a fight. So we're guaranteed at least one fantastic episode with her in play.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
^^^ I agree about Keith, there's the chance that he knows a lot more about the game/strategy since last season, and even if he doesn't he'll still be entertaining as hell to watch.

Don't agree about Vytas. I don't remember much about how he was strategy wise but he was a good social player, he just had the misfortune of being on the wrong side of Tyson's post merge alliance.

xbilkis posted:

I've never seen him before but will vote for him just cuz another rear end in a top hat named Jim Rice was a childhood hero of mine.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 7, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

People ITT need to gently caress off with their twitter posting from current players. Anything from outside the game should be in spoiler tags. Ponderosa videos are fine because they are occurring "in real time" with the game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Shakugan posted:

How is Rob C not on the voting list? Jeff has said he's one of the best players to have never won, plus his teaming up with Fishbach would be amazing (for a time; it would probably torpedo them both.)

I don't think he'd accept an offer to come back anyway. He's got a young kid at home and his whole "RHAP media empire" such as it is to maintain. I doubt he could hand off all his podcasts, Survivor and non-Survivor, for long enough to do it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I can't say I know him too well, but I'd say there is a roughly 99.9% chance that a guy who runs a Survivor podcast would drop everything to be on another season

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

He doesn't just "run" a survivor podcast, that's how he makes his entire living for his family.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah it's grown to the point where it's his livelihood. Leaving it in the hands of someone else for a few months would probably do irreparable damage. He's expanded into a bunch of non-Survivor content, most of which I don't listen to, but it seems to enable him to make a decent living.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
For the goons i voted Max. My wok here is done.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I didn't like max on the season, but I don't care for his picture on the voting website. I wish we could have voted Rodney back in.

I'm sad I can't vote for Rupert. He needs another chance! It could be fun to see multiple returnees as a whole season. Imagine a season of people who've played three+ times (and never won). It'd be a loving train wreck. I'd include Boston Rob and Rupert in the never won category, because Rob's win was maybe the worst/easiest win ever, and Rupert "won" that stupid "America votes" special.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I didn't like max on the season, but I don't care for his picture on the voting website. I wish we could have voted Rodney back in.

I'm sad I can't vote for Rupert. He needs another chance! It could be fun to see multiple returnees as a whole season. Imagine a season of people who've played three+ times (and never won). It'd be a loving train wreck. I'd include Boston Rob and Rupert in the never won category, because Rob's win was maybe the worst/easiest win ever, and Rupert "won" that stupid "America votes" special.
If you're going to say that Boston Rob's win doesn't count, then you'd have to agree that Amber's win doesn't count, so Boston Rob won that season.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Juanito posted:

If you're going to say that Boston Rob's win doesn't count, then you'd have to agree that Amber's win doesn't count, so Boston Rob won that season.

I'm just happy that he will never again be on Survivor.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Juanito posted:

Who cares, the whole argument was prefaced by "I want Rupert to come back."

The only way I want to see Rupert on my tv again is if it's followed by "was killed in a tragic bootstraps accident."

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.

BGrifter posted:

Yeah it's grown to the point where it's his livelihood. Leaving it in the hands of someone else for a few months would probably do irreparable damage. He's expanded into a bunch of non-Survivor content, most of which I don't listen to, but it seems to enable him to make a decent living.

Why is everyone acting like Survivor is aired in real time? He'd be gone for a little more than a month.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

AlbertRayon posted:

Why is everyone acting like Survivor is aired in real time? He'd be gone for a little more than a month.

Because he wouldn't be able to do podcasts, coverage and analysis of a season that he was on.

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.

bbf2 posted:

Because he wouldn't be able to do podcasts, coverage and analysis of a season that he was on.

I think the free advertisement for his podcast would be worth the hiatus.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

The only way I want to see Rupert on my tv again is if it's followed by "was killed in a tragic bootstraps accident."

Drowned in his basement shelter.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

AlbertRayon posted:

The whole filming process takes 8-10 weeks for the contestants and as a contestant he would have to agree to pretty strict NDAs with regards to the season he appears on.

If he were part of S31 he could not podcast about the S30 finale, could not podcast at all until the end of July and then would not be able to podcast about anything related to Survivor until the S31 finale airs. Depending on how the CBS contract is structured they might even forbid him to appear publicly (aka podcast) until the episode airs in which he is gets voted out or until the finale airs. His next problem is that his chances in the game are pretty slim, as every other contestant would know that he has contact to pretty much all contestants and studies the game for a living, which means he would likely be voted out pretty early, especially as he is not a competition contributor.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I think we can all agree that twice is plenty of chances to play Survivor. More than that and Jeff just wants to give you a million dollars.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tyler's Ponderosa gotta be the most boring of all-time. So boring in fact that they devoted 3 minutes to Shirin's ongoing drama. I'd link it, but really, no point watching it, the only remotely interesting thing is he lost 20 pounds.

Also I'd say that there is a Hali/Jenn/Joe orgy pretty much every night in that house.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

Rob already had a second chance. And he's said he doesn't want to go back since he would be a huge target

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Arkane posted:

Tyler's Ponderosa gotta be the most boring of all-time. So boring in fact that they devoted 3 minutes to Shirin's ongoing drama. I'd link it, but really, no point watching it, the only remotely interesting thing is he lost 20 pounds.

Also I'd say that there is a Hali/Jenn/Joe orgy pretty much every night in that house.

Yea, I saw something about it in passing. Someone over on reddit said that the video makes Shirin look less likeable, and Dan and Will more right in their actions. Which makes me want to know what happens in the video that made Dan and Will look good all the way from Ponderosa. But, I'm not watching a 7 minute Ponderosa video.

Also, someone mentioned in passing where an interview Shirin said that Tyler was a lot nastier during the game than he has been edited to appear. I'm curious to know what she said specifically.

Finally, I read Tyler's interview over at EW, and he said that their cast is probably the closest cast in Survivor history, and that he is going to try and talk with Dan and Will before the reunion to get them to calm down on their anti-Shirin rhetoric.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nihonniboku posted:

Yea, I saw something about it in passing. Someone over on reddit said that the video makes Shirin look less likeable, and Dan and Will more right in their actions. Which makes me want to know what happens in the video that made Dan and Will look good all the way from Ponderosa. But, I'm not watching a 7 minute Ponderosa video.

Basically Shirin brought up the Will thing and the fact that Tyler just sat by and let it happen even though (in Shirin's opinion) he was in the safest position to say something without any negative consequences. Tyler said that he just thought Shirin had it handled so didn't think he needed to step in. Shirin thinks Tyler actually just saw that Will was making himself a great goat so he was enjoying it for the game. Tyler does kind of confirm this even though he sort of seems like he's treating it as a benefit and not his motivation.

Shirin was obnoxious in that she did this whole "Tyler has some flaws he doesn't see and I'd be glad to point them out if he cares but I don't think he does." Basically she seems to think Tyler is lying to himself and she appointed herself the one to help him grow. It was obnoxious and its clear from the Ponderosa videos that even the people who like Shirin are annoyed by her demanding and nonstop personality.

But none of that validates Will and Dan. We've always known Shirin was annoying and obnoxious. We didn't like her early on either. It was the over the top hate the tribe had for her that turned the fanbase in her favor. If Will hadn't exploded (or if he had at least apologized for it) and Dan/Rodney weren't such reprehensible people and Carolyn didn't have such a hard on for Shirin then Shirin never would have become a fan favorite (except for people who just enjoyed that she's crazy).

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Vote Monica P you fools

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

It's funny that a bunch of unrepentant assholes made us root for an obnoxious superfan and the guy that coined "'Merica" and yet here we are!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

IRQ posted:

That was a joke. Rupert is awful and I never want to see him again. My wife and I have a running "that woman's alliance is looking might strong" joke.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So going back to last night's episode... Did Dan really not give any consideration to voting for Tyler? It ended up working out for him, but he would have had to have had 100% faith in the others to blindly just burn his vote like that.

Or he's just a moron. I guess I answered my own question.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

AlbertRayon posted:

He does a LOT more than just Survivor stuff, even if I don't listen to 90% of it. Big Brother, Big Brother Canada, The Amazing Race, TV show podcasts like Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, SNL, every obscure reality show under the sun and a bunch of other stuff. Leaving for a month during Big Brother season would be an issue for him.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Arkane posted:

Could you imagine how excruciatingly uncomfortable things would be there if Vince lasted long enough to get on the jury.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I can't believe Shane is on the second chance list. He's got to be a shoe-in, and because of it I'm already pumped for next season.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

As long as they have Joe "Cool Dude" Malcolm II

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Tyler was the only one that knew about momma C's idol, right?

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

SteveVizsla posted:

Correct!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SteveVizsla posted:

As far as we know, yeah

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

People are actually voting for Keith :confused:

SteveVizsla posted:

Question brought up by this. Once someone is voted out, are they not allowed to do anything else "game"-wise? i.e, Could Tyler have turned to everyone and said "Carolyn has an idol" and high tailed it out of there? Probably not, but it'd be funny to watch that play out.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

As long as they have Joe "Cool Dude" Malcolm II

I'd guess that Joe and Mike will both be back (barring producer shennanigans), because they're fresh in the average viewer's mind. Carolyn could get votes for that same reason, but there's probably a 95% chance that she wins this season.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

elgarbo posted:

So going back to last night's episode... Did Dan really not give any consideration to voting for Tyler? It ended up working out for him, but he would have had to have had 100% faith in the others to blindly just burn his vote like that.

Or he's just a moron. I guess I answered my own question.

Yeah I think it was 100% correct for Dan to vote Tyler last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

aidoru posted:

People are actually voting for Keith :confused:

Question brought up by this. Once someone is voted out, are they not allowed to do anything else "game"-wise? i.e, Could Tyler have turned to everyone and said "Carolyn has an idol" and high tailed it out of there? Probably not, but it'd be funny to watch that play out.

My guess is it'd be grounds to losing the consolation money since you're effectively torpedoing someone else's game. Given Jeff routinely says it, the players are probably well informed of the consequences and know how incredibly stupid it would be. Besides, Tyler doesn't necessarily know Carolyn flipped. If you really want to out someone's idol, then just do it before the vote where it could potentially save you.

• Locked thread