Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I regret nothing!

I guess since we're early in the new thread, I should plug Baby's First Space Race. The pack aims to lead a novice through the basics of technology mods using a quest book. The resources have been comically overinflated. An expert player should be able to go from nothing to the moon in an evening if they rush it. I've discovered there are a lot of people out there that just hate a lot of the resource grind and are playing it for shits even though they already know about everything. I'm honored and terrified.

Thanks yo this looks sweet + It is Perfect Fro me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Shukaro posted:

Here's a gif

edit: bonus gif

Well I can see that first one has a new block of some kind. Is that a new type of sticky piston in the second one? One that only sticks one way every time it's activated? I mean, a normal sticky piston would pull the redstone block back on the first cycle, wouldn't it?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Acne Rain posted:

Inventory pets: Instead of a pet with a bad ai and that follows you in the overworld you and ineveitably dies due to bad collision detection, you.... keep a pet in your inventory????

????????????????

I found this just the other day and it's actually really cool. Each pet gives you a buff as long as they're in your hotbar, and they eat certain items in your inventory every so often (each one has a favorite food). Their durability never wears out as long as you keep their favorite food in your inventory while they're active (in the hotbar).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is it me, or is one of those pets a nether portal?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

but you also have this poo poo coming for you on the overworld

Mother of God.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

The thing that put me off Gregtech was the requirement to make hammer and screwdriver to make an iron pick.... so you finally find your 3 iron ore and then discover you need another 10 ingots just to make that iron pick,

Thanks, bye...( Heads to grind Galacticraft because it may be slow but not the horror of Gregtech...)

Unleashed was the last version of gt I played which was pre iron pick axe fuckery. I did the whole shebang. Fusion reactor and all. When I saw the changes I was like ya... I'm done.

For a kitchen sink pack ftb infinity has been fun to play with some friends. You can get it from the ftb launcher which doesn't involve curse as far as I can tell if you hate curse stuff. (I use thier wow updater and have never had problems with it)

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

McFrugal posted:

Well I can see that first one has a new block of some kind. Is that a new type of sticky piston in the second one? One that only sticks one way every time it's activated? I mean, a normal sticky piston would pull the redstone block back on the first cycle, wouldn't it?

The first one is artifice blocks, the second is vanilla. Sticky pistons won't both extend and retract a block in one tick as a fix for an old block duping bug, which is useful for toggle circuits.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is it me, or is one of those pets a nether portal?

yeah, you go to the page and they're all lil minecraft things

Fortis posted:

I found this just the other day and it's actually really cool. Each pet gives you a buff as long as they're in your hotbar, and they eat certain items in your inventory every so often (each one has a favorite food). Their durability never wears out as long as you keep their favorite food in your inventory while they're active (in the hotbar).

Looking over the page now that I'm home, it looks fantastic but right now I'm kind of well established in the modpacks I'm playing. Maybe later.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Alright how about some adventure-y modpack suggestions?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly, the best "kitchen sink" modpack I've played lately is Resonant Rise 3 on the ATLauncher. Now I did do a lot of tweaking to it, adjusting some configs, pulling out or adding some mods just to polish it off, but the custom modlist it has for you to pick through when you install it is really interesting. I've put more time into that than any other modpack of late that didn't have like a skyblock-style quest progression (Blightfall, Agrarian Skies, Regrowth, etc). It's fun running through all the different angles that mod gives you.

As for OMP-Sigma, I ended up just going with the Natural Magic pack on the ATLauncher and topping it off a few interesting-looking mods from OMP-Sigma.
I'm still torn when it comes to terrain/biome mods. Biomes O Plenty wore out its charm a long time ago but now I'm not sure where to go. Highlands looks okay, and ATG makes great terrain overall, but they also introduce a lot of potential conflicts, and mods that are reliant on biomes (like ruins) skew badly for that stuff.

Speaking of which, I think I finally realized I hate Natura.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

You do? Is it because of the fact that every tree has it's own type of stick, door, fence, and poo poo like that?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Maiden posted:

You do? Is it because of the fact that every tree has it's own type of stick, door, fence, and poo poo like that?

And server lagging clouds

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

And server lagging clouds

Clouds don't lag servers.

They are really ugly though so I always turn them off

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think, to me, it's just a matter of adding so much stuff that has no point whatsoever. Before other aesthetic mods made their debut there was more purpose to having the varied types of wood, for instance, but now the flaws are showing.
It just seems redundant, and a lot of it works very conditionally with oredict stuff, if at all. Giving each tree its own stick/crafting bench/etc seems weird, and so does making all these alternate recipes that yield alternate blocks. 8 netherrack to make a netherrack furnace just in case you get stranded in the Nether? Why not just make a regular furnace? Why do all the berry bushes suck so much? Why have things like coal clouds, which take 9 blocks to make 1 coal? What kind of conversion rate is ever worth that? The glowshrooms in the nether are kind of neat, but ultimately just as pointless.
Then again that would all be fine in my mind except the textures are just so ugly on everything. The doors are arguably the most inoffensive looking parts of the mod but the planks and workbenches and so on are horribly garish. If I wanted to decorate I'd probably just use Chisel or something at this point.

The only type of block I even care about in that mod is the cloud block, which you can put at the bottom of a mineshaft drop instead of water, but I'd still rather use an Openblocks elevator block.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Natura could definitely do with a "usefulness" overhaul at this point. Like all those nether trees are neat, but they're only useful for looks and bows, so who really cares? The tree/stick stuff either needs a point or total oredict support. The oreberries are sorta useful if you don't have magic crops available and aren't to a MFR laser yet, I guess. Glowshrooms could definitely be more useful somehow, like doing player vs mob passthrough effects, or maybe smelting into potions, or something. And actually being farmable with MFR and stuff if they aren't yet.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Nether bloodtrees generate redstone dust and have a very unique spawn condition

but the wood is atrocious

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Literally everything in natura is terribly ugly and pointless.

It is a bad mod.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Shukaro posted:

Literally everything in natura is terribly ugly and pointless.

It is a bad mod.

by and large I agree, but uh, Waluigi like a-purple planks! Wahahaha!

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

I like the berry bushes but it seems like they've gotten a nerf in productivity to near useless values

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Light Gun Man posted:

Natura could definitely do with a "usefulness" overhaul at this point. Like all those nether trees are neat, but they're only useful for looks and bows, so who really cares? The tree/stick stuff either needs a point or total oredict support. The oreberries are sorta useful if you don't have magic crops available and aren't to a MFR laser yet, I guess. Glowshrooms could definitely be more useful somehow, like doing player vs mob passthrough effects, or maybe smelting into potions, or something. And actually being farmable with MFR and stuff if they aren't yet.
Oreberries are Tinkers Construct, I'm pretty sure.
Natura just has regular berries which restore 1/2 of a hunger point, and nether berries, which give you a potion effect for about 2 seconds.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Holyshoot posted:

And server lagging butts

Taffer posted:

Butts don't lag servers.

They are really ugly though so I always turn them off

Just needed to share the output from this Chrome extension, carry on.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Oreberries are Tinkers Construct, I'm pretty sure.
Natura just has regular berries which restore 1/2 of a hunger point, and nether berries, which give you a potion effect for about 2 seconds.

Oh right. Keep thinking they are part of the same deal. Those two mods are sort of associated in my head, maybe they came out around the same time or something?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

I cant :stare: hard enough.

The hell is this from?!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

Oh right. Keep thinking they are part of the same deal. Those two mods are sort of associated in my head, maybe they came out around the same time or something?

They are basically two parts of the same mod, by the same guy. It all started with Infinitools.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

They are basically two parts of the same mod, by the same guy. It all started with Infinitools.

That would explain it then.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gilok posted:

Just needed to share the output from this Chrome extension, carry on.

One more derail. Visit rackspace.com and enjoy :)

And ya i got it wrong they make dynmap look awful not lag.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Light Gun Man posted:

I would be happy if somebody does post some alternatives because I would be content with expanded alternatives to Natura and Tinkers Construct's supplemental blocks. I guess I'll just comment in a list:

• Trees: I suspect they were originally added to get exotic wood colors. They have indeed been rendered less useful by mods like OpenBlocks that let you paint blocks. I like the trees in The Nether, but we already established that's an incomplete dimension at best. I do like how they provide some alternate buffs, but players are usually past needing them by the time they make a nether run. The sticks are indeed dumb.
  • Berry bushes: I very much like these because they can be set up under ground without a water source and are a good way to stretch food when taking an early-game Overworld trip. I always dismantle a berry bush if I find one in my initial startup. It would be better to have more, but smaller, bushes of different types in order to make the fruit salads. The normal berry hunger replenishment is kind of crap, but having three of a kind (IIRC) works really well.
  • Clouds: I do think Overworld clouds are pretty lousy. They were a liability with running rockets because they'll actually stop rockets. I never thought being able to control a rocket with the movement keys would mean anything. The being sad, the clouds in the Nether have a side purpose of providing temporary bridges. Well, they could, but I found the mechanic that lets you sink into them without falling out the bottom is incomplete. I only ever tried it in cheat mode.
  • Nether furnace. They are twice as efficient as cobblestone furnaces, and I usually am in a position where I could still use furnaces by the time I hit the Nether.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Natura just has regular berries which restore 1/2 of a hunger point

Which seems little, but you can eat them when full to regain the hidden hunger bar, as well as you can make a berry medly with 3 of the 4 regular berries and a wooden bowl to make something that's better than eating the 3 berries alone, and also acts like base berries when full

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly, the best "kitchen sink" modpack I've played lately is Resonant Rise 3 on the ATLauncher. Now I did do a lot of tweaking to it, adjusting some configs, pulling out or adding some mods just to polish it off, but the custom modlist it has for you to pick through when you install it is really interesting. I've put more time into that than any other modpack of late that didn't have like a skyblock-style quest progression (Blightfall, Agrarian Skies, Regrowth, etc). It's fun running through all the different angles that mod gives you.

I hate using other launchers, can you rehost that one on the Technic Platform?

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Honestly I like natura just because it adds a bit of variety to the overworld without actually changing biomes. It just makes it nicer walking around. I don't really use the stuff for anything though. And gently caress those stupid clouds. I think there's a config option to disable them, at least.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That's its whole purpose. It's really funny hearing people talk about how it needs a "usability" upgrade or it's underpowered or whatever compared to other mods - the entire purpose of that mod is some visual variety. It works for that.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It's very good at being a lot of varied, yet ugly, things.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Taffer posted:

That's its whole purpose. It's really funny hearing people talk about how it needs a "usability" upgrade or it's underpowered or whatever compared to other mods - the entire purpose of that mod is some visual variety. It works for that.

Pretty much. As long as the ugly overworld clouds are removed (the nether ones work just fine for landing pads if you really need) and the wood is oredic-ed properly I really don't mind Natura. Though I loving hate Heatscar spiders. Their "split upon death" is an interesting idea, but minecraft combat is so bad that even an interesting idea just becomes obnoxious and painful. It doesn't help that they're giant balloons of HP, they don't drop spider eyes and their string is useless beyond making a tiny handful of items (mostly bow related), can't be used to make normal wool, yet is loving ubiquitous.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

NiftyBottle posted:

Honestly I like natura just because it adds a bit of variety to the overworld without actually changing biomes. It just makes it nicer walking around. I don't really use the stuff for anything though. And gently caress those stupid clouds. I think there's a config option to disable them, at least.

Yeap it can be disabled in the configuration. I shut that straight off after I saw a rocket get caught in clouds in Baby's First Space Race. I did not want somebody getting ready to complete the pack's defining mission, and then get stuck in a cloud pocket. At most, they were a novelty in Agrarian Skies when a quest called for them, and I hadn't realized those clouds ever even existed until then.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shukaro posted:

It's very good at being a lot of varied, yet ugly, things.

This is a pretty good description of Minecraft.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I kind of like certain parts of Natura. Like the different trees for the planks and doors, and in general; the redwoods, because after chopping down / harvesting one of them, I've got enough wood for a while. Flamestring is great for crossbows, and - back to the trees again - I like how the bloodwood is fire-resistant. Quite handy if you can't get anything else for a spawn room for mobs who shoot fire at you (like blazes, and I think I remember it worked on the carminite ghastlings from Twilight Forest too). And the imps are a nice source of leather if there's not many cows around and you don't have Magical Crops.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
On Natura crafting benches you can't do things like the middle mouse button press to distribute items evenly, that's the most annoying problem I've had with it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Taffer posted:

My main problem with usability in natura is probably that I don't actually use bows, pretty much ever. I am however warming up to Tinker crossbows so it's a start I guess.

greententacle posted:

On Natura crafting benches you can't do things like the middle mouse button press to distribute items evenly, that's the most annoying problem I've had with it.

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. I remember at some point in modded minecraft, I could hold shift and hover over items with the mouse to move things to or from crafting/inventory, and it was very convenient. I don't seem to be able to do that any more, although shift clicking, spacebar, middle click to sort etc all still work. Was that a feature of something that isn't common anymore, or something I have to enable in a config or something?

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 8, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Alkydere posted:

As long as the ugly overworld clouds are removed (the nether ones work just fine for landing pads if you really need) and the wood is oredic-ed properly I really don't mind Natura.
"I really don't mind it" is sure high praise for a mod. You're right about its mobs, though. What about Imps? Surely you guys all love those wandering idiots and their poison meat, and their not-quite-leather hide.

Turtlicious posted:

I hate using other launchers, can you rehost that one on the Technic Platform?
Sorry, it's too massive to host for me, and too much of it relies on the Launcher's ability to pick and choose mods, which are specially grouped based on themes and dependencies, at the time of installation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. I remember at some point in modded minecraft, I could hold shift and hover over items with the mouse to move things to or from crafting/inventory, and it was very convenient. I don't seem to be able to do that any more, although shift clicking, spacebar, middle click to sort etc all still work. Was that a feature of something that isn't common anymore, or something I have to enable in a config or something?

Well, you can't shift click into a crafting bench as which slot should it go into?
they do have left click and drag to even out, right click and drag to place one of each