Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I dunno, Android is a pretty big mess. The catastrophe that was Lollipop on my Nexus 5 basically showed me that even "flagship" Android phones are pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
What are the odds of Apple releasing another 4-inch iphone this coming September? Reason I ask is I'm not fond of the size of the 6 (love the size of the 5s) and I'm currently using a barely functioning 4s. I'm trying to wait until September but if there's no sign of a 4-inch model until the following year, then I'll pick up a cheap 5s.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Filthee Fingas posted:

What are the odds of Apple releasing another 4-inch iphone this coming September? Reason I ask is I'm not fond of the size of the 6 (love the size of the 5s) and I'm currently using a barely functioning 4s. I'm trying to wait until September but if there's no sign of a 4-inch model until the following year, then I'll pick up a cheap 5s.

Have you used a 6 for much time? Obviously it's a preference thing, but everyone I know who complained about the size of the 6 now loves it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I went to Home Depot the other day and Apple Pay wasn't working. I chalked it up to a temporary failure, but "turns out" that wasn't it at all.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/05/home-depot-quietly-drops-apple-pay/

Oh I see, let's go with a less secure solution like PayPal... It's not like Home Depot has ever had any security problems. :rolleyes:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Wasn't 2011 the horrible evil days of Android? poo poo is solid today.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, Android was pretty rough until the middle of 2012 I'd say. The real problem here, is that the guy is using a phone that was comparable to the iPhone 3GS (they were both out at the same time, iPhone 4 didn't come out until later that year iirc).

Try using a 3GS these days.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Laserface posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people who choose android?
I have a friend, a CS PhD student, who is staunchly anti-Apple. He doesn't like how Apple "overcharges" for additional storage. He thinks Androids are "more powerful". He doesn't like how "locked down" iOS is.

Meanwhile, all he does on his Galaxy S5 is play Candycrush.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My bank doesn't support ApplePay. They're too small for it to be cost effective. :eng99: I love my bank so I don't really want to move.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

We are at a very great place these days where both platforms are viable and competitive. Years ago it wasn't even close but Android bridged the gap. Good stuff going on in Android fueled new features in the iPhone and vice versa. Basically boils down to preference now and not a strict adherence to an ideology.

Phones are phones.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

poo poo is mostly solid today. Ice Cream Sandwich in my opinion was the best in terms of performance, aesthetics, and stability. The Nexus 5 and Moto G (both gens) I had were pretty drat terrible when Lollipop was released but I see that things are mostly how they should be.

Either way, it's nice to finally be back on a phone that just works without janitoring it. I do miss customizing and themes but it's great just using the phone now instead of tinkering.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, Android was pretty rough until the middle of 2012 I'd say. The real problem here, is that the guy is using a phone that was comparable to the iPhone 3GS (they were both out at the same time, iPhone 4 didn't come out until later that year iirc).

Try using a 3GS these days.

The phone is reasonably responsive though - its not a matter of power. I use one of the same phones to run my RaceChrono because nothing on iOS compares.

at least if you back up your account on a 3GS it backs up your loving account

My dad uses it because the screen is big-ish and easy for him to read in comparison to his Nokia 3315 which he was using up until this year.

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a friend, a CS PhD student, who is staunchly anti-Apple. He doesn't like how Apple "overcharges" for additional storage. He thinks Androids are "more powerful". He doesn't like how "locked down" iOS is.

Meanwhile, all he does on his Galaxy S5 is play Candycrush.

Yeah I dont get it either. My boss (head of the IT dept) flashes his S4 with all these custom ROMs and we get emails saying 'text/email only, new ROM doesnt have dialer working in the nightly' and other really stupid poo poo. Its retarded that anyone dependent on the technology offered in a smartphone puts up with having it literally not perform a major function in the name of customisability.

And then you have just swathes of fuckwits using that Comic-sans font and LOL-ing at how 'locked down' Apple products are, not allowing to express their lovely taste in system fonts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Filthee Fingas posted:

Close to 100%! It'll be a 5s in plastic!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Laserface posted:

Yeah I dont get it either. My boss (head of the IT dept) flashes his S4 with all these custom ROMs and we get emails saying 'text/email only, new ROM doesnt have dialer working in the nightly' and other really stupid poo poo. Its retarded that anyone dependent on the technology offered in a smartphone puts up with having it literally not perform a major function in the name of customisability.

And then you have just swathes of fuckwits using that Comic-sans font and LOL-ing at how 'locked down' Apple products are, not allowing to express their lovely taste in system fonts.

This is fringe use though, the vast majority of users do not root their phone and install custom roms. It used to be in the early days of Android you would need to do so to get a functioning phone but this is not necessary anymore. Again, those are Samsung things you're pointing at (Comic Sans) and all those points are heavily made fun of in the Android thread.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, ROM flashers are basically like jailbreakers.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

echobucket posted:

I went to Home Depot the other day and Apple Pay wasn't working. I chalked it up to a temporary failure, but "turns out" that wasn't it at all.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/05/home-depot-quietly-drops-apple-pay/

Oh I see, let's go with a less secure solution like PayPal... It's not like Home Depot has ever had any security problems. :rolleyes:

In fairness I couldn't get Apple Pay to work at Home Depot when I tried 3 months ago, so I'm surprised it ever worked for anyone. Tapping my phone acted like it worked, but the payment terminal just sat there saying processing payment and deadlocked until the self checkout attendant reset the machine.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, ROM flashers are basically like jailbreakers.

To clarify it's more like the people who jailbreak their phone, install custom Springboard poo poo, and add some "typographical clock" lockscreen extension, and replace the carrier label in the status bar with poo emojis, then complain that things don't work half the time.

It's basically "I bought a phone that does not do what I want it to do, so I will intentionally break the gently caress out of it."

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kitten smoothie posted:

To clarify it's more like the people who jailbreak their phone, install custom Springboard poo poo, and add some "typographical clock" lockscreen extension, and replace the carrier label in the status bar with poo emojis, then complain that things don't work half the time.

It's basically "I bought a phone that does not do what I want it to do, so I will intentionally break the gently caress out of it."

I meant more along the lines of, custom ROMs/Jailbreaking was a lot more popular 5 years ago when these phones didn't do some poo poo that people wanted them to. Nowadays, apple/google added most of the stuff people care about, so there's really no reason to go hog wild with your phone.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

maduin posted:

Have you used a 6 for much time? Obviously it's a preference thing, but everyone I know who complained about the size of the 6 now loves it.

Yah I used it for a few days (I know it's not much) and still didn't feel comfortable using it with one hand (I got small hands). I like taking my phone to the gym for Spotify and I'm not keen on the arm strap (rather have it in my pocket).

Endless Mike posted:

Close to 100%! It'll be a 5s in plastic!

Sweet

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

I had a huge carepost written about how terrible Android was in the year I used it but basically: iOS is simply better designed and each release of iOS tends to add features that make it less and less compelling to want to Jailbreak. Android is a terrible mish-mash of different design philosophies and inconsistent UI design. The reason so many people install custom ROMs and root their device is because stock android is a joke and other handset makers fill their phones with so much bloatware it's almost required.

Hell, you can't even back up app data without rooting on Android. If ever you have to wipe your phone you better pray the app maker either hooked into Google or implemented some sort of cloud backup otherwise you're SOL. Meanwhile yesterday with iOS I erased my device and restored from iCloud to fix the free space issue I was having and within 5 minutes my phone was usable again and after 30 my phone was in the same state it was before I wiped it. I remember spending hours wiping my Nexus 5 and meticulously restoring SMS messages/app data to fix obscure Lollipop bugs.

The last 6 months of me using my N5 was basically a daily struggle against bugs and memory leaks in Lollipop and I finally had enough and bought an iPhone 6+ outright because I was sick of spending more time tinkering with my ~*open device*~ than I did actually using it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

My iPhone 4 of years is starting to run extremely slow. I remember this being something of a problem in the past and I think I backed everything up, wiped the device, and restored it, then it was running really well. Does anyone know of a guide or write up for doing this?

I don't want to lose my app data and I do not want to update the version of iOS on the device. I would prefer not to lose my SMS messages and contacts. I would prefer to do the process with iCloud if possible as I really don't want to install iTunes if I can avoid it. I am okay if I lose the pictures taken with the device or anything related to its jailbreak.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only things I miss from Android are separate volume levels for alarms/notifications/ringer and status bar notification icons (for better or worse.) Badge-located notifications pretty much make up for this, but I never, ever, ever check my notifications pane. Lately, I've realized that all I'm missing out on are automatic app update notifications, so it's not a big deal. So yeah, I just miss the separate volume levels. Other than that, Android and iOS have become suitably homogeneous in the past two years, and as someone who still doesn't feel comfortable with OSX after 4+ years of working with Macs, I like that a lot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you go to volume / sound settings you can set the volume of thr ringer, notifications and alarms to be separate from your volume buttons

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
just buy 2 phones and have one set to have one set of volume (ringers) and the other to have alerts

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

robodex posted:

I had a huge carepost written about how terrible Android was in the year I used it but basically: iOS is simply better designed and each release of iOS tends to add features that make it less and less compelling to want to Jailbreak. Android is a terrible mish-mash of different design philosophies and inconsistent UI design. The reason so many people install custom ROMs and root their device is because stock android is a joke and other handset makers fill their phones with so much bloatware it's almost required.

Hell, you can't even back up app data without rooting on Android. If ever you have to wipe your phone you better pray the app maker either hooked into Google or implemented some sort of cloud backup otherwise you're SOL. Meanwhile yesterday with iOS I erased my device and restored from iCloud to fix the free space issue I was having and within 5 minutes my phone was usable again and after 30 my phone was in the same state it was before I wiped it. I remember spending hours wiping my Nexus 5 and meticulously restoring SMS messages/app data to fix obscure Lollipop bugs.

The last 6 months of me using my N5 was basically a daily struggle against bugs and memory leaks in Lollipop and I finally had enough and bought an iPhone 6+ outright because I was sick of spending more time tinkering with my ~*open device*~ than I did actually using it.

Why didn't you just push your N5 back to KK until you got your iphone instead of struggling for half a year? It literally takes a few minutes.

I don't know why some of you are raging so much about this. My Moto X is better at some things, and my iphone is better at others. I just swap the sim card whenever I need the device best suited for the purpose.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 5, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Super Dude posted:

Why didn't you just push your N5 back to KK until you got your iphone instead of struggling for half a year? It literally takes a few minutes.

Because I shouldn't have to? God forbid I expect an update to work.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Try updating a 4 to iOS8 :smug:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

robodex posted:

Because I shouldn't have to? God forbid I expect an update to work.

Just because you shouldn't have to do something doesn't change the reality that you made life harder on yourself.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Super Dude posted:

Just because you shouldn't have to do something doesn't change the reality that you made life harder on yourself.

wrong, i made life easier for myself by buying an iphone

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

robodex posted:

wrong, i made life easier for myself by buying an iphone

After 6 months...

Iphones don't cost that much. If it was really a critical issue, you could have found the money for one much sooner.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you go to volume / sound settings you can set the volume of thr ringer, notifications and alarms to be separate from your volume buttons

This is good however I find that its sometimes buggy with phone alerts (text/call) and third party apps (messenger, Whatsapp) are bundled in with 'other notifications/noises' and tied to the volume buttons.

so if you watch that volume-boosted cat video on youtube that sends you clamoring for the volume down button you have to remember to crank it back up after if you want to hear your Messenger alerts.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Has anyone used this?

https://www.stockunlocks.com/product/att-iphone-unlock-service-6-Plus-premium

It's one of the first sites that pops up on google, but obviously none of these sites inspire a ton of confidence.

Residency Evil posted:

Oh definitely, I'm just hoping it works with an iPhone 6 still locked to AT&T.

illcendiary posted:

If you try it, please report back as I'd be interested in the service as well.

It worked! $37 well spent.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If you use the new iphone beta and the music app won't show your music, turn on "show all music" and everything you've synced appears (along with your purchase history). Normally I have this off since I only want what I sync to the device to be on it, but right now it's not working for many users (like me) in this state. This also restores your ability to sync playlists to the podcast app, too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why do they insist on loving with poo poo that works perfectly fine?

like Photos on my Mac now has none of the events in it, which is how I sorted stuff.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Why do they insist on loving with poo poo that works perfectly fine?

like Photos on my Mac now has none of the events in it, which is how I sorted stuff.

All my pics on my mac in iPhoto were in events too, but now in Photos I have an album called "iPhoto Events" where everything is still separated. It's still separated on my iPad and iPhone too.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Anybody having some weird battery screwiness with their iPhone 6? Both me and my boyfriend's newer iPhone 6 have been draining insanely fast and apparently not registering being charged. I pulled my phone off the charger at 6:30 this morning and usage says it was 4 AM. I noticed about ten minutes ago that it was somehow already at 23% and it's dropped to 14% in that timespan. What the hell? Boyfriend's phone is doing the same stuff.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

redcheval posted:

Anybody having some weird battery screwiness with their iPhone 6? Both me and my boyfriend's newer iPhone 6 have been draining insanely fast and apparently not registering being charged. I pulled my phone off the charger at 6:30 this morning and usage says it was 4 AM. I noticed about ten minutes ago that it was somehow already at 23% and it's dropped to 14% in that timespan. What the hell? Boyfriend's phone is doing the same stuff.

Have you gone into General -> Usage -> Battery Usage to see if there are any apps towards the top that seem off?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, nothing seems weird at all except it thinking I unplugged my phone a lot earlier than I did. My boyfriend's phone is doing all the exact same stuff as well, which makes me think it's some software issue?

E: just plugged it into a USB port to charge and the battery is still going down. Putting it in airplane mode is letting the battery creep back up a bit but I've no clue why it's doing this :ohdear:

mareep fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 7, 2015

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

redcheval posted:

Yeah, nothing seems weird at all except it thinking I unplugged my phone a lot earlier than I did. My boyfriend's phone is doing all the exact same stuff as well, which makes me think it's some software issue?

E: just plugged it into a USB port to charge and the battery is still going down. Putting it in airplane mode is letting the battery creep back up a bit but I've no clue why it's doing this :ohdear:

Don't sweat. What you saying is easily verifiable by apple and they will replace without hassle. Just give it a restore first. They will do it in the store anyway and that might fix it

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
Apple fixed my iPhone 5 with the battery bulge very quickly and for free! Thanks for the reassurance, guys.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way in ios8 music app to sort music by artist, and then have it play only a specific album? If I hit play on something by a band with multiple albums, it'll queue up every album, which isn't remotely close to what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Once again, my iPhone 6+ running iOS 8.3 thinks that my living room is Anhui, China, and keeps listing my photos taken in that room as being taken in China. The GPS coordinates are correct, though, it's just the location data that's wrong.