Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
The wife and I are thinking about switching, but I'm unclear on a couple aspects of the program where they pay off your device/ETF. Here's our situation:

Her: iPhone 6 that we bought outright. Plan to use it on T-Mobile, just getting a SIM. In contract - ETF is $160

Me: On Verizon Edge program that I regret. $475 left on device payments. $160 ETF.

What I'm not getting is what exactly T-Mobile will cover. If we move over, she wants to use her current iPhone but they won't cover her ETF unless she trades it in? Is that correct?

With my line, I have two things that would need to be paid off: my Edge program phone and my ETF. I thought I saw something that said they would do one or the other, but not both. The combined total is under $650 though, so would they consider it if I just asked nicely? I'm fine with trading my phone in and getting something else.

I realize I might not be able to leave Verizon without paying something, just trying to figure out specific costs. It seems they are going out of their way to get people like me and I'm definitely interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Further report on T-Mobile texting crap: Between 4 and 5 am last night, My friend received six text messages I had sent her during the day yesterday. Wonderful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pizza Club posted:

What I'm not getting is what exactly T-Mobile will cover. If we move over, she wants to use her current iPhone but they won't cover her ETF unless she trades it in? Is that correct?

With my line, I have two things that would need to be paid off: my Edge program phone and my ETF. I thought I saw something that said they would do one or the other, but not both. The combined total is under $650 though, so would they consider it if I just asked nicely? I'm fine with trading my phone in and getting something else.
As was posted on the previous page, you have to trade in a phone to get the ETF repayment. If she wants to keep using her iPhone 6, find the cheapest thing you can on Craigslist in working condition and trade that in. Like, they're supposedly take lovely flip phones.

As for your ETF AND Edge payment, I'm not sure. Ask!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Pizza Club posted:

The wife and I are thinking about switching, but I'm unclear on a couple aspects of the program where they pay off your device/ETF. Here's our situation:

Her: iPhone 6 that we bought outright. Plan to use it on T-Mobile, just getting a SIM. In contract - ETF is $160

Me: On Verizon Edge program that I regret. $475 left on device payments. $160 ETF.

I realize I might not be able to leave Verizon without paying something, just trying to figure out specific costs. It seems they are going out of their way to get people like me and I'm definitely interested.

Tmobile will only cover your ETF if you trade in a device and purchase a new one from them. So if your wife wants to use her existing iPhone she'd have to eat the $160.

Also I don't think that you would have to pay an ETF for an Edge plan--just pay off the remaining balance and you should be home free.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Further report on T-Mobile texting crap: Between 4 and 5 am last night, My friend received six text messages I had sent her during the day yesterday. Wonderful.

Yeah, my girlfriend got 12 texts from throughout the day at 4:30am. It seems like this has happened like once a month for the past few months, so I don't know what their deal is.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

nimper posted:

Also I don't think that you would have to pay an ETF for an Edge plan--just pay off the remaining balance and you should be home free.

I would have to pay off the remaing balance, which is $475. If they are going to pay off anything, I would want it to be that instead of the ETF.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Pizza Club posted:

I would have to pay off the remaing balance, which is $475. If they are going to pay off anything, I would want it to be that instead of the ETF.

Right. But there shouldn't be an ETF on an Edge agreement, just the device payment. Maybe you have an old contract in the system that wasn't cleared out?

edit: Also, why is there an ETF on a line where the phone is paid for in full already?

nimper fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 6, 2015

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

nimper posted:

Right. But there shouldn't be an ETF on an Edge agreement, just the device payment. Maybe you have an old contract in the system that wasn't cleared out?

edit: Also, why is there an ETF on a line where the phone is paid for in full already?

The device is paid off but she's still in contract.

My phone was gotten on an Edge plan, 6 months ago. I have an ETF on my contract and the remaining cost of the phone.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Pizza Club posted:

Ok here is the deal for paying off your ETF and edge Program. You have to trade in the device you owe money on with the Verizon edge plan and buy a new phone from T-Mobile. Let's say for example they give you a trade in value of $275 for your phone that was on Verizon. You can use that trade in credit to purchase a new phone. For the reimbursement they will give you the difference for your trade in ($475 - $275) $200+ the ETF of $160 for a total of $360 back on the card. You can't submit that one through thr website you will have to email a special team because you have both an etf and an installment plan to payoff but I am on vacation and don't have access to that right now. If you do everything at a store they can get you the e-mail to send the bill to.

As for your wife's line you you can either eat the $160, or if you have an old phone that works and buy the cheapest phone at the store which is gonna be like 60 bucks you can get the ETF payed off. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

Burden posted:

Ok here is the deal for paying off your ETF and edge Program. You have to trade in the device you owe money on with the Verizon edge plan and buy a new phone from T-Mobile. Let's say for example they give you a trade in value of $275 for your phone that was on Verizon. You can use that trade in credit to purchase a new phone. For the reimbursement they will give you the difference for your trade in ($475 - $275) $200+ the ETF of $160 for a total of $360 back on the card. You can't submit that one through thr website you will have to email a special team because you have both an etf and an installment plan to payoff but I am on vacation and don't have access to that right now. If you do everything at a store they can get you the e-mail to send the bill to.

As for your wife's line you you can either eat the $160, or if you have an old phone that works and buy the cheapest phone at the store which is gonna be like 60 bucks you can get the ETF payed off. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks so much! This is what I was looking for!

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So I'll be moving to the Bay Area (SF) within the next month or so. Is TMob a reasonable carrier around them there parts? I've been with TMob for a while in New York with no complaints and a ton of praise. How is the data service around there? Again TMob did well in the merger fail here in NYC with double-dipping Verizon (or is it AT&T? I forget), is it the same story for SF?

PS It's for a business/company line so I won't be paying. Do I even bother with TMob if someone else is paying?

EDIT: it is vital I get a new 415 number with whomever I go with - is this even possible nowadays? Does it vary with carriers?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Mr Funkface posted:

So I'll be moving to the Bay Area (SF) within the next month or so. Is TMob a reasonable carrier around them there parts? I've been with TMob for a while in New York with no complaints and a ton of praise. How is the data service around there? Again TMob did well in the merger fail here in NYC with double-dipping Verizon (or is it AT&T? I forget), is it the same story for SF?

PS It's for a business/company line so I won't be paying. Do I even bother with TMob if someone else is paying?

EDIT: it is vital I get a new 415 number with whomever I go with - is this even possible nowadays? Does it vary with carriers?

Tmob is great in the bay area, I have the dork plan its nice. I doubt you can get a 415 number, they were in short supply the last time I checked. If someone else is paying why not get verizon?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

r0ck0 posted:

If someone else is paying why not get verizon?

I don't know why not!

I guess I have a comfort zone with TMob, Verizon is a big scary American beasty, TMob is liberal European pinkiness.

So yes, why not TMob I guess?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Mr Funkface posted:

I don't know why not!

So yes, why not TMob I guess?

If you leave the bay area you will have better coverage with verizon most likely.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

r0ck0 posted:

If you leave the bay area you will have better coverage with verizon most likely.

But theres no stopping a switch since there'd be no contract.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Qwijib0 posted:

But theres no stopping a switch since there'd be no contract.

But if someone else is paying for it, why not get the best right away?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

repeating posted:

All 2g towers are expected to be done upgrading to LTE by the end of June. If you look at the full coverage map right now, that's all gonna be LTE in a few months. The brighter color is T-Mobile coverage, the darker is where you can roam.

Is this still happening? Or are they waiting until the end of June to flip the switch?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of coverage maps, for the first time since getting on the nerd plan, I'm heading into Partner territory, according to the current coverage map (Galena, IL). I'm not expecting to blow the roof off, speed-wise, obviously, but will I have actual coverage for getting emergency phone calls? If not, what's a good way to just get coverage for overnight?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Deathlove posted:

Speaking of coverage maps, for the first time since getting on the nerd plan, I'm heading into Partner territory, according to the current coverage map (Galena, IL). I'm not expecting to blow the roof off, speed-wise, obviously, but will I have actual coverage for getting emergency phone calls? If not, what's a good way to just get coverage for overnight?

"Partner" coverage for prepaid is voice and text only. There are no limits on voice and text (beyond those in your plan) but you won't get any data. If you really need data you can probably find a pay-by-the-day AT&T prepaid plan but don't expect it to be cheap (GoPhone's is $5 for the SIM + $2 for voice/text "day pass" (expires at midnight) + $1 for 100 MB + $0.01 per 5 KB overage).

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly. If I'm currently in a grey 2G coverage area the expectation is that it will be changed to 4G ?

We are thinking of changing to T-Mobile because ATT is loving us to the tune of $175 a month right now.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Just want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly. If I'm currently in a grey 2G coverage area the expectation is that it will be changed to 4G ?

We are thinking of changing to T-Mobile because ATT is loving us to the tune of $175 a month right now.

Yes, it will get upgraded to 4G LTE. Earlier this year T-Mobile said that their entire 2G footprint would be upgraded 4G by the middle of the year though they appear to be somewhat behind on that front. Whatever you do I would not recommend switching before your area is upgraded unless you only need dumbphone service. Most 2G-only sites don't have working data and when it does work don't expect more than 100 kbps throughput with 1000+ ms ping times (basically useless beyond e-mail).

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

Yes, it will get upgraded to 4G LTE. Earlier this year T-Mobile said that their entire 2G footprint would be upgraded 4G by the middle of the year though they appear to be somewhat behind on that front. Whatever you do I would not recommend switching before your area is upgraded unless you only need dumbphone service. Most 2G-only sites don't have working data and when it does work don't expect more than 100 kbps throughput with 1000+ ms ping times (basically useless beyond e-mail).

Thanks for the answer. Hopefully they can clear it up because if we could move over it would cut our bill around 40%.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Don't trust the coverage maps. Our area is shown covered completely but half the village to the west of us is actually a dead zone.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

fondue posted:

Don't trust the coverage maps. Our area is shown covered completely but half the village to the west of us is actually a dead zone.

Seconding that. If/when you do decide you want to switch use T-Mobile's Test Drive. They will mail you an iPhone 5S activated with unlimited data for free for one week. Try it out at home, work, school, roads you travel regularly, etc., wherever you frequently visit. Keep in mind that the iPhone has slightly worse reception than most other smartphones so if you get a weak signal in some places you might get a better one with a different phone (though if you get no signal don't assume a different phone will pick one up). The only catch is that you need to return your test drive phone to a corporate store (one that has a pink marker on this map) at the end if you don't want to keep the phone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think you have to return it no matter what, even if you do want to get a 5S for some reason.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do wifi calls use up minutes? What about if I make a wifi call in another country?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do wifi calls use up minutes? What about if I make a wifi call in another country?

Yes, but they're just regular calls overseas on WiFi.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Brother in law is out of contract but hasn't changed his plan in a while. Can he change his plan to a new, cheaper one with his current phone and still get the payment plan on a new phone when he decides to upgrade later?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

If he moves to prepaid, he won't be able to get a payment plan. Otherwise these things are totally unrelated, and moving to a current plan now and changing devices later is fine.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

My girlfriend has a T-mobile contract, and I wish to buy her a Samsung Galaxy S6.

However, because I do not have a T-mobile contract, the T-mobile website will not let me buy an S6 outright. It wants me to sign up for a contract first. :(

Can I just buy her an unlocked "international" GSM S6 from Amazon, and a T-mobile sim card?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-SM-G920-FACTORY-UNLOCKED/dp/B00U8KSIGA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Captain Pike posted:

My girlfriend has a T-mobile contract, and I wish to buy her a Samsung Galaxy S6.

However, because I do not have a T-mobile contract, the T-mobile website will not let me buy an S6 outright. It wants me to sign up for a contract first. :(

Can I just buy her an unlocked "international" GSM S6 from Amazon, and a T-mobile sim card?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-SM-G920-FACTORY-UNLOCKED/dp/B00U8KSIGA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

T-Mobile doesn't even do contracts anymore.You might be confusing the 0% interest phone payment plan option with a contract.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Captain Pike posted:

If you don't get the t-mobile version, it won't have wifi calling. If you go to a store they may be able sell you one outright, but I'm not sure.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Is T-Mobile's billing system totally incompetent? I had a Nexus 7 line financed via EIP, which I paid off early a couple week ago. This is properly reflected in my list of completed EIP's with a zero balance. New billing cycle rolls over and I'm being charged the $16 dollars for the monthly installment. This is at least the second time I've been billed for a completed EIP.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

IuniusBrutus posted:

This is going on with me as well as of last weekend, and is really pissing me off. Today I had about 20 text messages come in at 9am that were all from yesterday.

I got on the support chat with T-Mobile and they acknowledged that there is a widespread issue with it but I got distracted with something while at work so they disconnected when I didn't respond to that. Has anybody got more information about what the problem is, when we'll know that it's resolved, or more importantly, how to get account credit or something? because gently caress this poo poo.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Teeter posted:

This is going on with me as well as of last weekend, and is really pissing me off. Today I had about 20 text messages come in at 9am that were all from yesterday.

I got on the support chat with T-Mobile and they acknowledged that there is a widespread issue with it but I got distracted with something while at work so they disconnected when I didn't respond to that. Has anybody got more information about what the problem is, when we'll know that it's resolved, or more importantly, how to get account credit or something? because gently caress this poo poo.

It's happening again? Wonderful.

I love everything about T-Mobile, except for when it fails miserably in something as basic as getting my text messages to me. Uncarrier, indeed. I could understand once or twice, but this has happened numerous times since I've switched to them, and it is getting to the point where I'm willing to lose Music Freedom/pay extra to get enough data and switch to AT&T or some poo poo.

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003
Now the Asus Zenfone 2 is finally out, and I'm hearing that it's yesterday's news, and today's news is that the Alcatel Onetouch Idol 3 (due to be released on Thursday) is better. Is this true? Should I get that instead?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No don't get that because something EVEN BETTER will be announced in the future and you wouldn't want to be left behind on a May 2015 phone when a JUNE 2015 phone could be right around the corner!

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

The Mango posted:

Now the Asus Zenfone 2 is finally out, and I'm hearing that it's yesterday's news, and today's news is that the Alcatel Onetouch Idol 3 (due to be released on Thursday) is better. Is this true? Should I get that instead?

Find a store that has them both so you can get some hands on. Read some reviews. Just be patient and don't rush into a decision!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Endless Mike posted:

No don't get that because something EVEN BETTER will be announced in the future and you wouldn't want to be left behind on a May 2015 phone when a JUNE 2015 phone could be right around the corner!

Yeah but then after that the iPhone 6s is coming out so you may as well wait for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

The Mango posted:

On paper they seem pretty similar. I suspect the ZF2 will have better performance and be more popular (so more accessories, etc.), but the Idol 3 apparently has much better speakers and onscreen buttons. I'd probably go with the ZF2 at this point because it's $199 whereas the Idol3 currently sells for $250.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Find a store that has them both so you can get some hands on. Read some reviews. Just be patient and don't rush into a decision!

If you can find even one store that has one of these phones I'd be shocked. No carriers are carrying them at the moment so it would have to be some random cell phone shop.