Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Sivek posted:

As Moira, stun everything with the flashlight, and then either bash them to death or let Claire run up and knock them down and then bash them to death. This works for almost everything in the game. Don't be afraid to wait for the stun effect to kick in, as it might seem like an ironhead or whatever is closing in and will hit you but you'll almost always end up stunning them before they do. I don't think I shot more than a handful of enemies in the game as Claire. I found the partner AI to a complete non-issue. Just play as the non-shooting character primarily, especially in the Claire chapters when Moira can basically solo them. Natalia is much less useful since bricks are limited and phase into nothingness on any type of transitions.

Yeah, I get that. It isn't so bad if I have good positioning. The problem comes when I get surprised and wind up in a spot I don't like. A good example would be in the factory just a couple hours ago; I wound up in close quarters with an exploder. I decided I was a little too close for comfort, and I should back off a bit before flashlighting the thing to death, so I turned around and ran back about ten feet. Turning around, I saw... that Claire had not moved at all, and was standing right next to the monster just kind of calmly staring at it. She then promptly took an explosion to the face. A few minutes later, the same thing happened with an Ironhead.

Claire's AI just seems to kind of... blank when it gets close enough to an enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Do you have the skill where Claire/Barry will actually shoot when AI controlled? Granted they do poo poo damage but it's better than just standing there.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
They do poo poo damage, but the gunshot still has all the properties it would usually have, so an AI Claire with Unholstered can still shotgun fools off their feet.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Might be that the AI is on "Stay there" command? But if the AI is actively following you before you switch then I dunno. I don't remember the commands remembering different states depending on who you were playing as.

I don't even gently caress around with iron heads. I just get a shotgun out and kill that fucker. They take too long to stun and most of the time I end up having to use more healing items.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Goddamn the wrecking ball room in re4 on pro loving sucks. Any tips?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Broose posted:

Might be that the AI is on "Stay there" command? But if the AI is actively following you before you switch then I dunno. I don't remember the commands remembering different states depending on who you were playing as.

I don't even gently caress around with iron heads. I just get a shotgun out and kill that fucker. They take too long to stun and most of the time I end up having to use more healing items.
With the upgrades to the flashlight they really don't take that long to stun. But yeah, before that it's a pain.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Goddamn the wrecking ball room in re4 on pro loving sucks. Any tips?

I'll keep my recommendations as minimalist as possible and assume you don't have a Striker with the 100 round magazine upgrade because that makes this room (and the subsequent bulldozer sequence) pretty trivial:

Leave Ashley up in the tunnel (before you drop down into the room). She'll eventually get grabbed by reinforcements but it keeps her out of danger for the first minute or so. When she is brought into the room, consider telling Ashley to wait and using her as bait to keep some enemies off your back. A few of them will crowd around her and, so long as you are confident in your ability to shoot out their legs (or throw a flash grenade) to make them stumble when they lift her, you can let them grab her over and over again without much risk.

Pull the lever for the wrecking ball yourself. It's faster and you don't want Ashley anywhere near the small control booth because she'll probably get hit and die. You want her as close to the exit as possible (so you leave quickly) without being in the path of the wrecking ball (because that will kill her) or being immediately adjacent to the metal side door that ganados use to carry her away.

Let the wrecking ball cutscene that occurs when you first pull the lever play out in full. Don't skip it. It reduces the time you have to wait for the lever to reset, and you're (obviously) unable to be attacked in cutscenes.

If you have them to spare, use flash grenades to stun ganados and then just leave them be (or at least wait until the very last second to knock them to the floor). There's no real point in killing many of them because more will respawn.

That said, if you are going to kill ganados, prioritize the big armoured ganados because they'll gently caress up your day. Crossbow ganados are also annoying but they'll usually miss you as you long as you keep moving, whereas the big armoured ganados tend to block your path (especially heading in and out the control booth).

Kite enemies around the lava pit in the centre of the room between lever pulls. Staying in the control box is a bad idea because you'll probably get stunlocked and die.

When in doubt, shoot a basic ganado in the head and kick them to clear a mob in your path. I find trying to knock ganados into the lava to be inconsistent, so just knock them down and keep moving.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
So, I went and bought Operation Raccoon City on sale. Not a well-made game, but... weirdly enjoyable.

Oddly, it feels like a Shadowrun game.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
Anyone down for some RE5 DLC action?

Edit: PC version.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
For some reason, when I first heard the Rust in Summer song in Resident Evil 5, I thought it was trash and really bad. While I still think it isn't that great, it keeps getting stuck in my head

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Does the PC version of Revelaitons 2 have split-screen coop? Does it work well?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Big Scary Owl posted:

Does the PC version of Revelaitons 2 have split-screen coop? Does it work well?

Only for Raid Mode.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Azran posted:

Only for Raid Mode.

Incorrect. It has it for story as well. You have to use an xbox 360 controller. You just press start on the second controller and it'll join in. It works about the same as consoles.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
If you use 360ce you don't even need 360 controllers. Coop is really fun but just so you know - Moira has health regeneration while Claire isn't so lucky. This worked out pretty well for me since I could play coop with a friend who never plays shooters otherwise.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 8, 2015

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I wish playing as natalia didn't suck so much when they managed to make moira so useful and fun :(

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Have you not yet thrown a brick

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

I wish playing as natalia didn't suck so much when they managed to make moira so useful and fun :(

Do what I do when I play Nat. Act as decoy and circle monsters while Barry takes them out. Brick everything.

Uh you'll need to play co op if you want Barry to actually kill something though.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Jia posted:

Have you not yet thrown a brick

Bricks break :saddowns:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

Bricks break :saddowns:

Get another.

Only thing that sucks about bricks is that you can't take them between tele-doors.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Natalia's gimmick is both hindered and made actually actually somewhat enjoyable through the fact that the campaign is split-screen only.

On one hand, what's the point of having the "only Natalia can see enemies through walls and let you be sneaky" when Barry can just screen look and get the same info? There's no need for communication other than "uh poo poo, did you maybe miss something through that hole? This door is still locked"

But on the other, if the only way to deal with the invisible guys was to listen to both your partner AND the character in the game yelling at you to aim at certain points on the screen and when to shoot it'd be way more frustrating. Granted you have different ways of revealing those guys without that help.

Brick is never not hilarious though and pretty much on par if not more powerful than even the magnum :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Brick is never not hilarious though and pretty much on par if not more powerful than even the magnum :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Backhand posted:

Yeah, I get that. It isn't so bad if I have good positioning. The problem comes when I get surprised and wind up in a spot I don't like. A good example would be in the factory just a couple hours ago; I wound up in close quarters with an exploder. I decided I was a little too close for comfort, and I should back off a bit before flashlighting the thing to death, so I turned around and ran back about ten feet. Turning around, I saw... that Claire had not moved at all, and was standing right next to the monster just kind of calmly staring at it. She then promptly took an explosion to the face. A few minutes later, the same thing happened with an Ironhead.

Claire's AI just seems to kind of... blank when it gets close enough to an enemy.
Moira regenerates automatically, so a better tactic might have been switching to Clarie and letting Moira take the hit. Not that intuitive perhaps to have one of your characters deliberately take damage in a RE game, but it works pretty alright for me. Obviously flashlighting it is ideal, but having Moira take one for the team is the next best thing. I do agree with Claire's AI seeming sorta "slow" at times, but you learn to compensate, mostly by wrecking poo poo with Moira before Claire can even get into trouble.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Big Capcom sale on Steam, pretty much everything RE is discounted except the recently-ported RE5 DLC. Although the Gold Edition of RE5 is discounted so I guess if you've never played RE5 now's a good time to start! :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Geight posted:

Big Capcom sale on Steam, pretty much everything RE is discounted except the recently-ported RE5 DLC. Although the Gold Edition of RE5 is discounted so I guess if you've never played RE5 now's a good time to start! :v:

RE4 is at a decent price, lowest it's been to date I think.

Also discount on Rev 2 episode one and nothing else, woo

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Geight posted:

So tempted to double dip but I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't buy stuff on Steam if I already had it on another platform. Although RE6 PC is really tempting if only for the ability to skip QTEs.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I bought Rev1 off the Steam sale but I ran into the same problem as RE4 - crashes quickly, and I've tried verifying the game cache/updating drivers/switching compatibility modes :(

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

drat they didn't even discount the part/gun expanded inventory DLC for Rev 2. I'd totally get one or two for a buck.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just got Revelations 2. Anyone want to play some Raid? You can find me here on Steam if you want to play. I'm level 11 or something now, so pretty low level.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
... Huh. I just started Raid Mode today, expecting something along the lines of Mercenaries from previous installments. Maybe it is like that at higher levels, but wow, does it start you out with baby stuff. I played the first four levels and they were putting me to sleep, with no option of immediately upgrading to something harder.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, the first levels of Raid Mode are baby stuff but it gets interesting and difficult quickly if you check out the daily missions or rank up sufficiently. Soon you get crazy stuff like disappearing enemies, giants who spew electricity when they die, guys who give skills to other enemies...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster announced just now in Japan. PS3/PS4/360/Xbone/PC in early 2016.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yay, the world's most unnecessary video game prequel. It was expected though, even without that leak back in December. Kind of hoping for Outbreak HD in the future.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It'd be interesting if they created some sort of coop for it. Not loving likely but it'd be nice.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

It'd be interesting if they created some sort of coop for it. Not loving likely but it'd be nice.

They'd have to create entirely new gameplay segments for the beginning of the game and the part of the game where somehow Rebecca teleported to Raccoon City in RE 2's Umbrella labs as Billy isn't around in those sections.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They'd have to create entirely new gameplay segments for the beginning of the game and the part of the game where somehow Rebecca teleported to Raccoon City in RE 2's Umbrella labs as Billy isn't around in those sections.

Yeah it'd take extra poo poo to do so fat chance of it.

I just kinda want something decent to come out of this remake.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'll probably still get it because I'm stupid and dumb yet have to buy everything that's Resident Evil related that isn't the awful novels, but Zero is just such a boring, pointless game that didn't leave much of an impression and I think that's worse than games like Operation Raccoon City and Resident Evil Survivor which were so bad it were memorable in how bad they were.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I dunno the soprano leech lord was pretty memorable.

Man the plot in 0 was dumb, but that's not saying much considering it's an RE game.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This will kill the remasters, we will never get a remake of Resident Evil 2 :(

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

But on the other, if the only way to deal with the invisible guys was to listen to both your partner AND the character in the game yelling at you to aim at certain points on the screen and when to shoot it'd be way more frustrating. Granted you have different ways of revealing those guys without that help.

Smoke bottles will help you see invisible enemies, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Pesmerga posted:

This will kill the remasters, we will never get a remake of Resident Evil 2 :(

Rod Lima's got your back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IMlfVZHcC8