Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

El Jebus posted:

Ok, I would eat Vaggis.

I eat vaggis at every opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
well-prepared vaggis is a delicacy. the mouthfeel is exquisite

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Inconsequential of fakemeatchat, I wanted to share with people that would appreciate this: I am in Paris and just ate so goddamn much Mimolette vieille, ~*~illegal in the US~*~ cause of bugs or whatever. Bugs are delicious.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Wookums posted:

Also the genealogy of dishes gets all sorts of hosed up when say haggis can even be advertised as vegetarian. Make up new words like Vaggis.

I withdraw allmost objections when new words are put into play. I think, for example that "Tofurky" is a retarded portmanteau, probably coined by some stupid hippie soccer mom, but I don't object to it on the "vegetarian meat" grounds. I still cringe when I hear it, but that's incidental.

Yes, my hatred for these products is multilayered. Like an onion. Which is an actual vegetable, not some monstrosity made from bean juice and recycled tetra packs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Can we at least agree that this scene from The Wire series 2 (Omar testifies ) is awesome?
http://youtu.be/oYj7q_by_2E

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

I would sooner give up a kidney, finger, eyeball, or foot than cheese

cheese owns and anyone who rejects it for reasons besides health are subhuman monsters, as unappreciative of human advancement and mankind's achievements as the simple minded neanderthals our species conquered so long ago before founding our cultures atop their bones. those who would deny cheese must be reeducated or cleansed

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 8, 2015

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

cheese owns and anyone who rejects it for reasons besides health are subhuman monsters, as unappreciative of human advancement and mankind's achievements as the simple minded neanderthals our species conquered so long ago before founding our cultures atop their bones. those who would deny cheese must be reeducated or cleansed

I've tried and failed for years to put my feelings about cheese into words, and somehow you've stolen them from the dark crevices of my mind and writ them across the something awful dot com forums.

The only thing that would upset me more than my doctor telling me I can't have cheese would be my doctor telling me I can't have booze.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Fake meat products are the reason why so many people back away from something delicious when you describe it as "vegetarian." The same people will try it if you refer to it as a "vegetable dish" instead.

It doesn't matter how they taste. They're always going to be considered a lovely substitute.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I like a lot of substitutes, too, but I'm not going to pretend they are the same.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

wheez the roux posted:

well-prepared vaggis is a delicacy. the mouthfeel is exquisite

Coincidentally, pr0k's mom is named Vaggis.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

wheez the roux posted:

:( I can't eat cheese. I dream about it, though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bartolimu posted:

I will answer your question with a hyperbolic comparison:

What if you're a Catholic priest and want to gently caress?

Sometimes your convictions mean you don't get to do what your lizard brain tells you to do. You can choose to derive satisfaction or bitterness from the struggle with your instinctive, evolutionarily adaptive urges that originate from millions of generations of successful survival; either one seems to work. But don't substitute an altar boy for a grown adult of either sex. It just ain't right.

Same thing with fake meat. Do you want something that tastes, feels, and acts like meat? Eat a loving animal and endure any/all ethical consequences for your completely natural, instinctive, evolutionarily adaptive urge to eat meat. Or don't, because vegetarian food can be loving great when it's not trying to be meat. Live with the consequences of your loving philosophy instead of trying to have your cake and eat it too.

So that's what pisses me off about fake meat: Catholicism.

qft

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I mean, converting everyone to vegetarianism or vegan ism would probably gently caress up the earth a bit less sooo

ya we could all eat pints and pints of fresh organic out of season fruit produced in second world nations by migrant workers shipped on trucks from 1200 miles away that took 3248328943492 liters of water to produce and would literally bankrupt anyone an average american wage - in particular the dude earning $8.50/hr unloading the pallets and the cashier ringing you up at walmart, gently caress the externalities so long as its vegan, the future is bright

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 8, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

ya we could all eat pints and pints of fresh organic out of season fruit produced in second world nations by migrant workers shipped on trucks from 1200 miles away that took 3248328943492 liters of water to produce and would literally bankrupt anyone an average american wage - in particular the dude earning $8.50/hr unloading the pallets and the cashier ringing you up at walmart, gently caress the externalities so long as its vegan, the future is bright

Just because some vegans are stupid pricks doesn't mean that veganism is wrong. I can't entirely trust someone who doesn't eat cheese, though.

Speaking of which, where dino. at?

therattle fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 8, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man you guys got some weird hangups.

I walked into a vegetarian thai restaurant randomly, ordered their pad thai with fake beef, and guess what? It actually tasted great. I dunno what happened but lately when I try fake meats at vegetarian places they're way better than they were a few years ago. So what if it's pretending to be meat? For a meat eater like me it was a nice familiar feeling and taste and, heaven forbid, it was actually kind of fun that it was a fake meat pretending to be meat.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I have no opinion on the...ethics of food consumption? or whatever it is you guys are arguing about, I was just saying it's pretty cool how good fake meat has become in the past few years. 95% is a hell of a lot better than it was before and that's a testament to modern technology and manufacturing methods. Hell, they bred a new variety of pea to make fake chicken strips with, IIRC.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

For a meat eater like me it was a nice familiar feeling and taste and, heaven forbid, it was actually kind of fun that it was a fake meat pretending to be meat.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I have no opinion on the...ethics of food consumption? or whatever it is you guys are arguing about, I was just saying it's pretty cool how good fake meat has become in the past few years. 95% is a hell of a lot better than it was before and that's a testament to modern technology and manufacturing methods. Hell, they bred a new variety of pea to make fake chicken strips with, IIRC.

yeah, if you don't view the consumption of food/natural resources as a huge problem for the sustainable future of the global economy and/or human race, it's not really an issue. fake meat does taste good, I enjoy some of it. out of season berries from Guatemala also taste good, sometimes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

I walked into a vegetarian thai restaurant randomly, ordered their pad thai with fake beef, and guess what? It actually tasted great. I dunno what happened but lately when I try fake meats at vegetarian places they're way better than they were a few years ago. So what if it's pretending to be meat? For a meat eater like me it was a nice familiar feeling and taste and, heaven forbid, it was actually kind of fun that it was a fake meat pretending to be meat.

No no no, this makes you a bad, unethical hypocritical bad person. Engage in some self-flagellation please. If you can't pay the price for being a vegetarian then you shouldn't be one.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

why do they have to call it beef, that's the dumb part. just call it tofu pad thai or seitan pad thai or whatever it actually is instead of trying to label it as an imitation of something, which is an instant signal that it's not going to taste like the thing it's faking and thus is inevitably disappointing for people expecting it to

therattle posted:

No no no, this makes you a bad, unethical hypocritical bad person. Engage in some self-flagellation please. If you can't pay the price for being a vegetarian then you shouldn't be one.

this. but. unironically.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

if you're vegetarian and or vegan for ethical reasons related to sustainability, animal humanity, or "making the world a less bad place" - it's your self-sworn duty to think through the consequences of your consumption habits beyond "I don't eat meat because that's bad". or get called on that point by people who do.

if you just eat fake soy-bean based flavored meat products because you enjoy doing so, that's awesome, more power to you. just don't pretend there's a hosed up objective ethical high ground there that you've thought through to its logical conclusion.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

if you're vegetarian and or vegan for ethical reasons related to sustainability, animal humanity, or "making the world a less bad place" - it's your self-sworn duty to think through the consequences of your consumption habits beyond "I don't eat meat because that's bad". or get called on that point by people who do.

if you just eat fake soy-bean based flavored meat products because you enjoy doing so, that's awesome, more power to you. just don't pretend there's a hosed up objective ethical high ground there that you've thought through to its logical conclusion.

Nobody has made that argument here except those against fake meat products. I believe the technical term is a straw man argument.

I never buy the stuff, but if I did I would avoid the soy ones because of Amazonian deforestation. Or I just eat properly sourced, free-range organic meat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

The consequence is that they don't eat meat. If they can eat fake meat to enjoy the taste of meat without actually killing animals, then that seems to fit their reasons for being a vegetarian just fine.

What this really boils down to is that you just want other people to be miserable.

If science and technology can separate the enjoyment of sex from most of the danger of getting a disease or the responsibility of having to raise a child, then sure, why not have sex? If science and technology can let me buy a synthetic diamond engagement ring without the guilt of knowing that an African child slave mined it, sure, why not buy that synthetic diamond? Likewise, if science and technology can let a vegetarian enjoy a decent facimile of meat without the guilt of knowing that an animal had to die for it, why not let the vegetarian just enjoy themselves? Why try to force an arbitrary consequence be included with a pleasure if advancements in science and technology can separate the two?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 8, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Just for fun, I decided to become informed and look at the ingredient list of the chicken product I was specifically referring to, Beyond Chicken:

quote:

Water, Non-GMO Soy Protein Isolate*, Pea Protein Isolate, Grilled Chicken Flavor† (Yeast Extract, Potato Maltodextrin, Natural Flavoring, Salt, Maltodextrin, Sunflower Oil, Citric Acid), Rice Flour, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil*, Soy Fiber*, Carrot Fiber, Contains 0.5% or less of: Dipotassium Phosphate, Spices, Salt, White Vinegar, Sugar‡, Molasses Powder, Titanium Dioxide (for color), Potassium Chloride, Paprika.

The same company makes Beast Burgers and Crumbles, which both have a longer ingredient list. I don't really know enough about the impact of vegetable growing on global societal welfare to discuss how terrible making chicken out of peas and carrots is, though.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
This has always, always been the dumbest argument in this forum and never goes goddamn anywhere.

New topic: Massachusetts is the worst state in the union. Discuss.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I think the world would be a better place if we ate LESS meat, particularly lovely fast food. The faster that stuff can be grown in a lab, the better.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

McDonalds is apparently testing menu options that include kale, so I guess prepare of the price of kale to skyrocket?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jay Carney posted:

New topic: Massachusetts is the worst state in the union. Discuss.

I can confidently say, without fear of exaggeration or hyperbole, that Florida is a billion trillion times worse.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Scientastic posted:

I can confidently say, without fear of exaggeration or hyperbole, that Florida is a billion trillion times worse.

I don't have the heart to explain to my mother that last minute tickets to see her on Mother's Day is not the gift; my sufferance of a few days in Florida is.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

mindphlux posted:

this is extremely true.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Scientastic posted:

Florida has Miami and good weather/stone crab. It took me three hours to drive from foxboro to Salem yesterday and everyone in this drat state looks like they escaped the potato famine.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I love seitan and tofu. 99% of the time, I hate seitan and tofu when they try to be meat -- vegetarian dim sum has some good items, for instance, but even there, a lot of the meat-mimicking items (rather than just "this is a tofu skin roll") are bad. It's telling that one of my favorite dishes in the world is tofu being tofu cooked with meat being meat. Food masquerading as other foods is a cool party trick, but leave it to Wily and friends, don't base your everyday meals around it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

McDonalds is apparently testing menu options that include kale, so I guess prepare of the price of kale to skyrocket?

I bet it doesn't though. Hipsters found kale a couple of years ago and that didn't affect the price. Kale grows super fast so I'd bet McDonalds invested in the planting of the crops a few months back to ensure they don't pay much themselves.

Also I'm gonna make my house smell like a fart and make slow-cooker greens this weekend now so thanks. Kale greens are the best greens. God drat I love drinking the pot likker.

Edit: Can we shut the gently caress up about vegetarian/vegan/substitute foods? It's almost as bad as a tipping discussion. :wrongful:

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 8, 2015

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Serious question: Does kale always taste like a stiff, lovely version of spinach, or is that just the kind I had literally every time I've tried it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

contrapants posted:

Serious question: Does kale always taste like a stiff, lovely version of spinach, or is that just the kind I had literally every time I've tried it?

Might just be what you get, or you might just not like the taste of skunky chlorophyl, which is what kale kind of tastes like.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

contrapants posted:

I'm with you on this. Kale is overhyped as this delicious green and I just don't enjoy it on any level. If I want to eat greens I'll eat spinach or cabbage or any of the 100 varieties of lettuce and enjoy it. But kale aint nothin special.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kale sucks raw but when you cook it the bitterness kinda turns interesting like collard greens or other bitter vegetables.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just cook it all day with salt pork or a ham hock or something. Until it nearly liquifies. Then it's like really seriously the best thing ever.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mustard greens for life, yo.

:snoop:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just cook it all day with salt pork or a ham hock or something. Until it nearly liquifies. Then it's like really seriously the best thing ever.

That's what i meant by slow-cooker greens. I use some country ham pieces, chop up an onion, a few cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 cup vinegar in a big rear end crock pot filled to the brim with kale greens. Fill with water to the top, cook it for like 6-8 hours and holy poo poo. Best greens ever. Of course it needs this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

20 hours out on the smoker at 200F. So much smoke penetration. unfffff