Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

everythingWasBees posted:

Kerpymon is my favorite digimon.

This is my favorite bit of awful translation and localization. Thanks for reminding me, I'll remember this for a later Frontier Trip Report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

Runaway Locomon not being canon according to Konaka is pretty much the only piece of Word of God from him regarding Tamers I actively ignore, cause the other option, having that really bleak CD Drama be canon is too goddamn depressing to conceive of

I merely employ the long-standing fandom discipline of cognitive dissonance and say that the CD Dramas happened shortly before the digimon came home, and then we got the movie events later. The CD Drama is really only as crushingly depressing as it is if we accept it as the official end to the series, if you doggedly refuse to see it as anything but a mid-epilogue midquel it's actually pretty a touching capstone to the character development of Tamers.

As for Hurricane Touchdown the thing that always stands out to me is that it's perhaps ground zero to the long-standing issue of making the 02 cast look like jokes. A massive chunk of the movie is Antiramon and later Cherubimon Vice effortlessly kicking the crap out of the heroes before that ending happens. Hurricane Touchdown is a very pretty movie and I could gush about the score and the backgrounds and the cinematography, but it's really not fun to watch the heroes get beat up with the knowledge you're just waiting for that last minute swerve.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Now to be serious for a moment, I do have a legit reason for why I think I prefer the dub over the Japanese original. That isn't just nostalgia.

I compared the Japanese version to the dub and honestly? The dub gives the characters more life. Especially the Digimon.

One of the best examples I can pull off is episode 21. When Agumon is being dragged back to the Digital World, the two versions have VERY different things for him to say.

The Dub has him say "I'm needed in Digi-World. I'll never forget you my friends!"

The Japanese version has him say "Taichi...Hikari...Bye Bye."

The Digimon in the Japanese version in general seem to be far less articulated, far more simple characters than the dub versions.

I guess I just prefer that take on them. That and I adore the some times AWFUL voices (GARUDAMON) of their other forms but that's entirely subjective.

That just strikes me as really dumb. He has no reason to know why he's being dragged back, or that there's any purpose or intent behind what's pulling him in. Also, by that point, it's established the digimon can't do anything without their partners to evolve them, so what does he expect to DO?

And in the case of the Adventure digimon, they were perhaps even as naive as the kids themselves, being essentially babies that had the ability to evolve overnight. Them having simpler mindsets and being less "articulate" makes sense.

Adventure doesn't really make any of the Digimon standout characters, but the dub's handling of them doesn't really make much sense regarding the story.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It also makes zero sense in regards to season 2.

We get TK and Kari being able to Digivolve their Digimon to Mega Level just as causally as you please, and some how those two DON'T wreck shop and instead are just the vehicle to give Davis (and supporting guest star in place of Ken) the chance to save the day with A MUCH WEAKER DIGIMON.

What the gently caress movie

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
kari riding around on greymon was real cute, movie should have just been that for an hour and a half :3

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

The dub is better cause literally any reason for me to still care about the first season of digimon is pure nostalgia.

This.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i take this children show about selling merchandise very seriously

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seeing all the back and forth going about the US Dub. I can't help but be happy that I grew with the glorious latin american dub.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

It also makes zero sense in regards to season 2.

We get TK and Kari being able to Digivolve their Digimon to Mega Level just as causally as you please, and some how those two DON'T wreck shop and instead are just the vehicle to give Davis (and supporting guest star in place of Ken) the chance to save the day with A MUCH WEAKER DIGIMON.

What the gently caress movie

Not quite, actually! See, what happened was actually even more stupid: Takeru and Hikari did NOT evolve Angemon and Angewomon (who should not be able to even get to that level, but that's a plot hole caused by another plot hole because 02) to Mega, in fact Angemon and Angewomon evolved on their own, with their lines making it sound like they could've done so at any time without any effort and didn't because...who the gently caress knows! Takeru and Hikari were outright surprised at their partners becoming Seraphimon and Holydramon.

And then they proceed to get their asses kicked badly and only manage to give Daisuke and Wallace the titular Golden Digimentals.

Hurricane Touchdown was bad.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Seeing all the back and forth going about the US Dub. I can't help but be happy that I grew with the glorious latin american dub.

:agreed:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

forbidden lesbian posted:

The dub is better cause literally any reason for me to still care about the first season of digimon is pure nostalgia.

Yup, and it goes double for Sailor Moon.

Honestly, all the arguing about dialogue differences and the inferred meanings of them and so on is like the very worst of anime fandom.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Craptacular! posted:

Yup, and it goes double for Sailor Moon.

Honestly, all the arguing about dialogue differences and the inferred meanings of them and so on is like the very worst of anime fandom.

Come on. You know there's something worse. I don't even have to say it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

KoB posted:

Agumon has the worst voice IMO. The worst part is that it doesnt even fit any of his forms.

The dub's take on doing different voices for each form is way better. (They might have been the same person but they sounded different enough)

Wait. The original Japanese version didn't have different voices for the different forms? :psyduck:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. The original Japanese version didn't have different voices for the different forms? :psyduck:

Nope. It's funnier in Tamers when you get Saint Galgomon sounding like a baby, and Guilmon's forms sounding like granny Goku.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sbUCHbhWg4

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And yet in the dub they still had Terriermon sounding like Mona Marshall, so I'm not sure what the point of your comparison is.

Chika Sakamoto uses very different voices for Agumon and his evolutions, also. All of the digimon do:

http://youtu.be/0EWtqkQXOV4

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

And yet in the dub they still had Terriermon sounding like Mona Marshall, so I'm not sure what the point of your comparison is.

Chika Sakamoto uses very different voices for Agumon and his evolutions, also. All of the digimon do:

Some of them do. Palmon, Togemon and Lilymon are basically the same voice and Tailmon and Angewomon are the exact same voice.

The Tamers dub was specifically and intentionally more like the Japanese version and kept the voices the same for every form.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, but the way the statement was framed, it sounded like a criticism leveled specifically at the Japanese version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf8c1WAaqvU

and I can hear a pretty distinct difference here, re: Togemon

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AlternateNu expressed incredulity at the Japanese version uses the same voices and I provided evidence. I was not commenting on or criticizing the Japanese version.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My bad then.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Digimon Frontier Trip Report

Recap: The girl got completely poo poo on, both by the plot and by the other characters. Four of the five kids have Spirits now.

Episode 5: The Thunder Power that Shakes the Earth; Blitzmon!

The main gang is still following the train tracks and happen on a Wind Factory.

Bokomon mentions that because there's Digimon, there's probably food, so Takuya votes to enter. Junpei argues that they probably can't just go in and they might get attacked, but Takuya just rolls his eyes.

They run in and the alarm goes off, with a bunch of Minomon warning them to leave or get attacked.

Izumi immediately says that they're there to visit the factory, which somehow works! She's already more useful than the boys in this one.

The Kokuwamon are workers and the Goblimon are supervisors, I guess? Turns out the Goblimon are beating up the Kokuwamon to get them to generate electricity.

The tour doesn't amount to much, but everyone wants to eat.

Kokuwamon eat electricity, so all the "food" is batteries.

The gang is all hungry and disgruntled, but on their way out, they see a bunch of dilapidated buildings and decide to investigate.

It's where all the Kokuwamon live!

We cut to a room filled with fans and someone drinking a chilled drink, which must mean this is the villain.

Sure enough, one of the Goblimon comes in and reports that the gang had a tour and the foreman is none too happy.

The Kokuwamon start spinning their tale of woe. They were living in the forest at peace, the Goblimon attacked them and enslaved them and the foreman works them to the bone.

The gang is skeptical, but the Kokuwamon continue saying that they're big cowards, so the Goblimon keep them afraid so they keep generating tons of electricity.

Takuya and Junpei ask why they don't do anything, but have opposing viewpoints. Junpei thinks they should run, but Takuya thinks they should fight.

The Kokuwamon don't like fighting, but Takuya is up for the challenge and volunteers the gang to help. Junpei understandably challenges Takuya speaking for the group, but loses his high ground when the rest of group agrees with Takuya.

A Minomon overhears, which is probably bad?

Takuya comes up with a plan and Junpei refuses to join in. He says it's dumb to do something so dangerous and he can't help them because he can't evolve. Takuya doesn't get it, but the Kokuwamon do. They explain that not everyone is as hotheaded as Takuya and they never thought about fighting.

Junpei goes off on his own and has a nice little scene where he cheers up one of the kids.

Oh hey, the Digital World has three moons?

Night falls and the plan begins with a triple evolution!

Fairymon breaks the alarms and makes a big mess at the gate, distracting all the Goblimon. Meanwhile, Agnimon and Chakmon lead one group of Kokuwamon into the factory and Junpei leads another up a hill and likely back to their forest?

The Kokuwamon shock the Goblimon and start wrecking the factory. The group pushes into the heart of the factory and find an ambush waiting for them: a legion of Goblimon and the foreman, a Snimon.

Meanwhile, Junpei's having a dilemma. He feels guilty, I guess, for not helping the rest of the group, so he valiantly runs off to join them.

Fairymon gets hit with a single fireball and has to run off. I'm going to assume that she took a bunch of punishment offscreen.

The rest of the group is getting routed by Goblimon and the Snimon, but Junpei's almost to the core! The show is seriously trying to build it up as him saving the group, but logically, there's nothing he could do. Neither Chakmon nor Agnimon are able to make any headway, so what's an extra human kid supposed to do?

Of course, he does manage to turn the tables, because he jumps into a crane, hits Snimon with it and that scares off a bunch of Goblimon. I guess?

Snimon destroys the crane, which breaks open the factory core, which has a Spirit. Junpei's Spirit, obviously. Evolution time!

Junpei is so happy to have evolved, holy poo poo.

Of course, Blitzmon completely clowns Snimon. Snimon's attack doesn't even do anything! Why the hell did the girl get the shaft?

Anyway, Blitzmon scans Snimon, the Goblimon run off and the factory explodes. Everything is all great!

Some shadowy figure hears that another kid got a Spirit. Ominous.

Final thoughts: Meh. It's an okay conclusion to the initial arc, but Junpei's argument makes a lot of sense and his development is to run in blindly and hope for the best. Izumi had some good moments, but Fairymon continues to get shafted. Tomoki and Chakmon were barely there. Also, I was a little annoyed at how over the top evil the Snimon and Goblimon were.

I'm so glad episode 6 is next.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Junpei is the guy that complains because he has common sense, and therefore, always wrong. A particularly great moment of this comes later down the line, where he complains that Izumi, Tomoki and he can't really help at all because they didn't get fancy Double Spirit Evolutions like Takuya and Kouji did. Of course, the series tries to prove him wrong.

The series also spectacularly fails at proving him wrong but we're meant to believe it succeeded. In a series where four out of six characters are cheerleaders.

Digimon Frontier.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Junpei's not Takuya, so his arguments are always wrong. Except when Kouji uses his arguments, because Kouji is more often right than Takuya.

But that's a story for much much later.

KoB
May 1, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

http://youtu.be/0EWtqkQXOV4

Her Agumon voice is terrible.
Old lady trying to be a cutesy dinosaur.
Old Lady trying to be a cutesy dinosaur and trying to go deeper.

She does well as Shoutmon so I dont get why Agumon sounds so terrible.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He's a reptile. I think the scratchy voice is effective and appropriate.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The big thing I remember from Adventure's dub and Mimi was her constantly complaining about everything, saying her feet hurt and not wanting to go on an adventure, as well as her being genuinely unlikable to most of the cast. These were, from what I know nowadays, all things that were exaggerated by the dub.

The only season I'd rewatch nowadays though is Tamers. And maybe Savers.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

KoB posted:

Her Agumon voice is terrible.
Old lady trying to be a cutesy dinosaur.
Old Lady trying to be a cutesy dinosaur and trying to go deeper.

She does well as Shoutmon so I dont get why Agumon sounds so terrible.

Kind of agree. Shoutmon's on-point, but Agumon frequently feels aimless. It isn't terrible but it's pretty bad from a later perspective.

Anyway, on the Frontier end, once again I like how their group is in some ways a lot more fractured than previous teams. If the show didn't have the infuriating property of painting one person (usually Junpei) as the incorrect guy for having a different opinion, I'd say it was an interesting approach. This could have been the point to demonstrate Takuya's flaws and the group's mistake in blindly trusting him, buuut...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Classy Hydra posted:

This could have been the point to demonstrate Takuya's flaws and the group's mistake in blindly trusting him, buuut...

I'll talk about this in detail in about 15 episodes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Digimon Frontier Trip Report

Recap: Junpei learned that common sense is useless in the Digital World.

We start with Kouji climbing a mountain very very carefully. He hears a cry for help and makes his way into a small cave containing a cage of...female snails?

They ask Kouji to break them out, so he grabs a rock and starts breaking the lock. Suddenly, someone appears behind him, grabs him and throws him off the mountain.

Episode 6: The Five Legendary Warriors vs a New Warrior

We cut to a different city as the other group is flung out of a restaurant. The owner yells at them for not having money. Izumi insists that they have money, but apparently the Digital World doesn't accept human money. Bokomon's broke too, so they're out of luck.

Junpei sees a sign offering food for services, so the group runs over. The ones asking for help are...more snails? Sure, why not.

The group hitches a ride on a Trailmon and the snails explain that someone named Grottomon showed up and demanded the Digicode from their mountain, which Bokomon again describes as the stuff the world is made of, more or less. This Grottomon kidnapped the female snails and is holding them as ransom for the Digicode. The group is all for helping.

The snails' village is on the side of the mountain and really high up. The snails can move vertically, apparently?

The snails drop some rope ladders and the kids start climbing. Junpei trys to be a gentleman and lets Izumi go first, but since she's wearing a skirt, she jumps to the conclusion that he's being a pervent and slaps him for it. I am not making up any of this.

Wait, what? Why the hell is Kouji not dead?!

Apparently Kouji's also helping the snails and wanted to see how strong the rest of the help is, so he bashed Takuya in the face and then told the snails that the group is useless. gently caress this guy.

The group is furnished with a bunch of cabbage that turn out to be a variety of flavors.

So, Kouji fell from the sky earlier that day, landed in a pile of hay or something and didn't die.

Kouji tells the group where the hostages are and Junpei assures the snails that five Legendary Warriors won't fail. For some reason, this terrifies the snails.

The group is rather puzzled by the reaction, but Takuya's pumped up and ready to rescue. However, the head snail says they should get a good night's sleep and go in the morning.

Takuya and Kouji have a "conversation" that consists of Takuya trying to be nice and Kouji being surly. Seriously, gently caress this guy.

The group wakes up to a cold wind and a long way down. The snails tied them up and hung them while they were asleep.

The head snail says they're going to trade the kids for the girls. They thought the kids were trying to help, but being Legendary Warriors, I guess they can't be trusted?

OH poo poo, they think the kids are allies with this Grottomon guy? What?

The mountain wall explodes and a voice eminates from a tunnel asking about the Digicode again. The voice identifies itself as Grottomon, the Legendary Warrior of Earth!

The head snail threatens to kill the kids unless Grottomon gives back the girls. Grottomon askes why he should care, so the head snail spills that the kids are Legendary Warriors and Grottomon connects the dots that these are the rumored humans who've gotten Spirits. Grottomon pulls out a giant hammer so he can bash the kids and take their Spirits. The snails drops their scythes and Kouji manages to grab one, cut his binds and evolve.

Wolfmon and Grottomon start fighting while the snails untie the rest of the team. Wolfmon can't really keep up with Grottomon, so the other four evolve to help. Agnimon and Blitzmon distract Grottomon, while Fairymon rescues Wolfmon. Wolfmon suggests that he join the other two to fight Grottomon and Fairymon and Chakmon go rescue the girls and get all the snails to safety.

Grottomon pops out of the side of the mountain; Agnimon jumps after him, inadverently blocking Wolfmon's shot and getting popped with Grottomon's hammer. Agnimon manages to grab a rope ladder, but Grottomon pops out again and starts swinging his hammer. Wolfmon tries to line up a shot, but can't because Agnimon's still in his way.

Blitzmon pulls Agnimon out of the way, but Grottomon tunnels back into the mountain, jumps out behind Wolfmon and smacks him off the house.

Fairymon makes short work of the cage and the girls are safe! Ish.

It starts raining and the rain washes away the surface of the mountain, giving Blitzmon an idea. He tricks Grottomon into emerging and then smacks the mountain to cause a landslide, which catches Grottomon and pushes him down the mountain. The snails are safe and the bad guy's beaten, right?

Well, poo poo, the landslide revealed the mountain's Digicode and Grottomon's not done yet. That's not good. At least there's five of them to fight him.

Beast Spirit? Slide Evolution? Gigasmon? What the hell?

Whatever this Beast Spirit is, the protagonists can't even touch him. Gigasmon laughs at how weak the team is and then eats the mountains Digicode. Bad. rear end.

The mountain collapses into Digicode and the team is washed away and split into two groups: Takuya, Kouji and Tomoki in one and Junpei, Izumi, Bokomon and Neemon in the other.

Final Thoughts: What a great introduction to a villain. For the first five episodes, the Legendary Warriors have been built up as this great force for good, so Junpei uses that to reassure the snails, but it backfires this time which makes no sense until Grottomon is introduced as an evil Warrior. It's amazing. The fight with Grottomon is pretty great too, because it shows exactly how terrible the Warriors' teamwork is and then he breaks out a second Spirit and just massacres them. It's so so good.

Kouji can still go gently caress himself though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Grottomon would look way better without those dorky tattoos.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Gigasmon looks like something that came out of those pokemon fusion websites.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Most of the Warriors had pretty bad designs tbh

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Me, I love all the Hybrid designs, except for Shutumon and her freaky bondage outfit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Most of the Warriors had pretty bad designs tbh

I always wondered if, had they gone through with the "the B-Team really is the B-Team and not a half-baked thing we totally hosed up because we're incompetent" thing, would have Löwemon'd the other 4 Evil Warriors into more appropriate forms?

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Grottomon's design-shape looks a little off to me, but on an individual basis I actually like it a lot for what it's worth. His hat, big honkin' nose and shoulderpads make an interesting profile, and I can totally look at it and say, "yep, this is a dwarf". That said, the tats are 100% necessary to make him fit in with the other spirit warriors; without that touch he ironically doesn't look 'mythical' enough, despite being based on a mythological creature. He's even got a red cap!

Gigasmon is fine, but he's too small to visually accomplish what he's supposed to be, and his horn-nose thing doesn't work very well as a character element. His tats are a lot more naturally ingrained in the design though, so that element looks a lot less tacked on.

This episode also demonstrates Frontier's almost signature "bizarre setting of the day" setup, with a vertical village serving as as a unique battle backdrop. I'll admit, sometimes the fights are kinda fun if only because the settings are really weird; earlier seasons of Digimon played with that as well, but generally not for very long.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Classy Hydra posted:

Grottomon's design-shape looks a little off to me, but on an individual basis I actually like it a lot for what it's worth. His hat, big honkin' nose and shoulderpads make an interesting profile, and I can totally look at it and say, "yep, this is a dwarf".

To be pedantic for no reason at all, i'm pretty sure he's a gnome, you know an earth spirit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I do like this episode for the sheer scale of "Oh we're so hosed" it brings. rather that introduce their new foe and have them beat him to set up other evil warriors, they introduce their foe and have him CRUSH THEM. And then don't just have him get his rear end beat next episode.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Elfgames posted:

To be pedantic for no reason at all, i'm pretty sure he's a gnome, you know an earth spirit.

Meh, same mythic root. He's a redcap too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I always wondered if, had they gone through with the "the B-Team really is the B-Team and not a half-baked thing we totally hosed up because we're incompetent" thing, would have Löwemon'd the other 4 Evil Warriors into more appropriate forms?
Based on literally nothing, I'm saying "yes."

Classy Hydra posted:

Meh, same mythic root. He's a redcap too.
:stare: I never put this together. Holy poo poo.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Some Numbers posted:

Based on literally nothing, I'm saying "yes."

:stare: I never put this together. Holy poo poo.

If they ever did a game exploring what if possibilities, Redeemed Legendary Warrior designs would be at the top of what I'd like to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They don't exactly scream "obviously evil" in the same way Dusk and Velgrmon do though