Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That ep was a slow roll but once I started laughing I didn't stop until it was over. Seriously as soon as he tells his daughters about getting beaten up by a girl through the Pamela scene and capped off by his brother laughing at him, perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

blue squares posted:

I'm really glad the relationship with Pamela is over. I liked her a lot as a friend character, but I'm so sick of watching Louie debase himself over her. I never understood why he the character liked her so much, other than because he is sad and pathetic and enjoys being reminded of that

Listen to him on Terri Gross this week explain the masochistic tendency of his younger self to go up on stage at open mics and bomb over and over to hostile crowds and you might get a sense of why the character behaves that way.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

blue squares posted:

I'm really glad the relationship with Pamela is over. I liked her a lot as a friend character, but I'm so sick of watching Louie debase himself over her. I never understood why he the character liked her so much, other than because he is sad and pathetic and enjoys being reminded of that

I think it's that Louie wishes he were like Pamela. She's everything that he isn't, confident and bold, and able to detach herself from messy emotional situations with humor in her everyday life. The only time Louie can let go and be that bold, and the only time he can use humor to cope with Serious poo poo is when he's onstage. I think Louie believes that if he were in a relationship with Pamela she'd help him become more like her, and become more confident offstage. But it's not fair to Pamela, and Pamela knows it's not fair to Louie either because she knows that he'll never change.

That and he probably likes the abuse. He wants to be with someone who treats him the way he feels.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This is one of the best analyses I've read of Louie yet. It really reminds me that even when Louis CK seems to be just making GBS threads around having fun with the show, he's still putting enough subtext into it to qualify as a bona-fide prestige drama, and that even when the only organizing principle of the show seems to be disorder, he's still being very deliberate about every shot.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2015/05/louie_season_5_the_surprising_evolution_of_louis_ck_s_philosophy_of_love.html

I think it does an incredible job of explaining the shows obsession with gender fluidity and how it affects Louie's relationship with Pamela.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Louis CK brought Pamela to the Mayweather fight. Are they a thing irl or just really good friends

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SaltLick posted:

Louis CK brought Pamela to the Mayweather fight. Are they a thing irl or just really good friends

She's a producer and co-writer on the show and they're very good friends yes. She also played his wife in his last sitcom.

Edit: Looking through her history, it's weird seeing that she used to be a pretty prolific voice actress. She was in loving Fallout and Grim Fandango.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 5, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

This is one of the best analyses I've read of Louie yet. It really reminds me that even when Louis CK seems to be just making GBS threads around having fun with the show, he's still putting enough subtext into it to qualify as a bona-fide prestige drama, and that even when the only organizing principle of the show seems to be disorder, he's still being very deliberate about every shot.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2015/05/louie_season_5_the_surprising_evolution_of_louis_ck_s_philosophy_of_love.html

I think it does an incredible job of explaining the shows obsession with gender fluidity and how it affects Louie's relationship with Pamela.

Holy poo poo was that a good read.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

She's a producer and co-writer on the show and they're very good friends yes. She also played his wife in his last sitcom.

Edit: Looking through her history, it's weird seeing that she used to be a pretty prolific voice actress. She was in loving Fallout and Grim Fandango.

Of all the things shes voiced how do you not mention she is Bobby Hill

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

From the man that brought us Pootie Tang

I love it

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fetus Tree posted:

I've never seen KotH ok

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

She's everything that he isn't, confident and bold, and able to detach herself from messy emotional situations with humor in her everyday life. The only time Louie can let go and be that bold, and the only time he can use humor to cope with Serious poo poo is when he's onstage.

I think you're spot on here. There's even been a few times in episodes that center on their relationship where you're deliberately shown Louie doing his standup and the camera moves to show you Pamela sitting in the audience and she is smiling and more importantly disarmed from their usual dynamic. It's really cool.

I love their relationship because it feels real and complicated as opposed to the normal mindkilling "will they or won't they" that you get in every other lovely show.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Pamela Adlon

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fetus Tree posted:

Holy poo poo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fetus Tree posted:

Now that's pretty surprising.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Surprised you folks didn't already know that. I always figured that was what she was primarily known for.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
If we're talking about Pamela Adlon we also need to remember her role in Californication as Marcy and her best line in the series by far:

"gently caress me Rick Springfield! gently caress me Rick Springfield!"

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Louie boning lonely depressed women seems to be becoming a running gag this season and I don't know what to make of it.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

hcreight posted:

Louie boning lonely depressed women seems to be becoming a running gag this season and I don't know what to make of it.

Her weepy eyes for all of the scenes were so well directed.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm gonna have Louie's nightmares now

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm gonna have Louie's nightmares now

I was just going to post this.

I feel like I need to move my hamster cage or something.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
Holy poo poo when it jumped on the doctor's desk :stonk:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CrimsonAuthor posted:

Holy poo poo when it jumped on the doctor's desk :stonk:

loving looooooved this episode. What the gently caress was that song at the end? I only realized what was being said just as it pushed in on Louie. "Please die you dying babies, in my diarrheaaaaa"

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Jesus christ when the guy comes charging at him in the doorway my wife and I had a goddamn heart attack. That is some poo poo out of Jacob's Ladder.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

That was more Lynchian than the episodes David Lynch was actually in.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Turns out everyone has nightmares about the same awkward bullshit. Thanks for confirming that, Louis CK.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

loving looooooved this episode. What the gently caress was that song at the end? I only realized what was being said just as it pushed in on Louie. "Please die you dying babies, in my diarrheaaaaa"
I think even the song was just some spoof of something you'd play at the end as the story ties itself up in a nice bow. Except if you start listening to the lyrics they just become absurd.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jim Norton's goofy face and messed up clapping was certainly Lynchian.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
When Glaser stole Louie's jacket this song came to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS5WITtdyEQ

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That was easily one of my top 3 episodes. Wild applause.

quote:

anyway it's about this guy and he wears white clothes and a bowler hat and he goes around beating people up with his gang but then he gets caught and they try to make him a better person by like prying his eyes op-

YOU SAW CLOCKWORK ORANGE!?

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I had to rewind my DVR and listen to Jane's monologue at the doctor's office 3 times. It's been mentioned several times what a phenomenal actress she is for her age, and that was a really compelling performance.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

:laffo: that loving song during the end montage. i completely missed it until it showed him sleeping

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

One explicitly meant to sound like an obscure old-timey torch song, but upon any kind of lyrical scrutiny realized it was a super funny commissioned part of the episode story as well

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

upon any kind of lyrical scrutiny

I dream of little monsters,
crawling up my leg.
I fear they'll come again,
if I go to bed.
I wish that something else would,
be in my dreams.
Here come those little monsters,
crawling up my leg.
I dream of dying babies,
and why do they smile?
I hate those dying babies,
why don’t they just die?
Their smiling faces,
give me diarrhea.
Please die, you dying babies,
in my diarrhea.
My dreams,
my dreams,
my dreams...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sub Rosa posted:

I dream of little monsters,
crawling up my leg.
I fear they'll come again,
if I go to bed.
I wish that something else would,
be in my dreams.
Here come those little monsters,
crawling up my leg.
I dream of dying babies,
and why do they smile?
I hate those dying babies,
why don’t they just die?
Their smiling faces,
give me diarrhea.
Please die, you dying babies,
in my diarrhea.
My dreams,
my dreams,
my dreams...

And you know Louis CK probably wrote those lyrics, which is yet another David Lynch connection. Lynch loves to include torch songs in his movies and shows and usually writes the lyrics himself.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
This is seriously the weirdest, most hosed up, brilliant and hilarious episode of this show yet. I'm just in awe of every little detail. And the song at the end, I started to notice around the dying babies part.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That was the best episode since season 2 probably. More of that, please.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah that episode made me really excited about Louis getting into making movies. His direction is great. I'm pretty sure what Jane said at the doctor is something I've said while on LSD. And now I'm :ohdear: that I'm gonna dream about that weird faced old man, God that was terrifying and hilarious.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I decided to have some trippy and/or terrifying dreams the same night I watched this episode. Goddamn it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcUKDIfwAQ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Hallelujah. It even has unaired lyrics at the end!

• Locked thread