Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kalli posted:

I'm not worried about them eliminating Grantland, I'm worried about them turning it into what Page 2 / Page 3 were.

I'm no fan of Simmons' written work or podcasts, but the work he's done cultivating Grantland and spearheading 30for30 was probably the best content ESPN's produced in... the last 15-20 years?
Grantland could get even better in Simmons' absence, insofar as some of his more annoying editorial tics would be further marginalized (brackets, arguments over things being over/under/properly rated, celebrity career arcs, etc). It all depends on what ESPN wants to do with it and who they put in charge. It makes perfect sense that ESPN should have a place for longform prestige sportswriting, even if it doesn't bring in the big money. But they could very easily just let it wither on the vine, or (as you say) try to turn it back into Page 2/3.

And I always thought Simmons' preferred endgame was to become a big-money Hollywood producer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
ESPN is going to try to monetize grantland differently and a while bunch of executives are going to try to "make a splash" to accelerate their careers and totally ruin it. That's a Shane, but Simmons is probably going to get an offer to create something new with creative freedom so maybe he'll do it again.

But yeah gently caress ESPN.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
gently caress, i can't wait for Simmons' next project

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Geno posted:

gently caress, i can't wait for Simmons' next project

I'm curious to see if he goes to somewhere like Bleacher Report, or essentially tries to build his own Grantland from scratch, which he's more than capable of doing. I don't want to read the guys articles and editorials, if you can even call them that, I just want him to keep producing really good content and build a great team.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Oh god, he did it

oatgan posted:

Ewing Theory would dictate that Grantland is about to enter a golden age

And Simmons is playing the role of Craig Kilborn

e: Grantland's publisher is leaving too

http://recode.net/2015/05/08/grantland-publisher-david-cho-is-leaving-too/

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Wrap it up the hottest of takes has been taken:

Jay Mariotti ‏@MariottiSports 22m22 minutes ago

ESPN created a superfan, now ESPN has uncreated him. Superfans are not real and don't have staying power.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Give the website to Brian Phillips.

Or Shea Serrano.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

ESPN created a superfan, now ESPN has uncreated him. Superfans are not real and don't have staying power.

PFT commentor would be proud

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Jay is the lamest of the lames

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Good of Jay Mariotti to chime in and remind us of the difference between "contract not renewed" and "loving fired for being a piece of human poo poo".

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Kalli posted:

Good of Jay Mariotti to chime in and remind us of the difference between "contract not renewed" and "loving fired for being a piece of human poo poo".

It would have been nice for them to let him go due to his lovely hot takes but thankfully his ex stepped up to the plate and took one for the team.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
It is time. Black Grantland and White Grantland must merge to make something beautiful. It is time.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Lol has anyone paid a single thought to Jay mariotti in like ten years?

Or a non negative thought in his entire life span

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dutchy posted:

Lol has anyone paid a single thought to Jay mariotti in like ten years?

Or a non negative thought in his entire life span
he kept it so real on around the horn when i was 12

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
To draw the ire of Ebert one has to be a piece of poo poo.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Some choice (anonymous) quotes from ESPNers:

http://deadspin.com/espners-bill-simmons-found-out-he-was-fired-on-twitter-1703112625

—Four sources tell us there’s a rumor going around ESPN and Grantland that Simmons found out about the move via Twitter. (A fifth source denies this.) “Cold-hearted/hilarious,” one person says. “Guy is a massive dickhead. But he’ll just land at Fox Sports with Horowitz now for the same money. Yay.”

—“Ding Dong the witch is dead.” (That’s how one ESPN staffer describes the vibe in Bristol.)

—“Sounds like Skipper’s the one who said ‘Man, gently caress this.’”

—“It was pretty clear they haven’t gotten along in a long time.”

—“Can’t say anything right now.”

—“Everything is high school.”

—“Not unexpected.”

—“From everything I heard, [Grantland] was only viable due to Simmons traffic and sponsorship $.”

—One ESPNer points us to Simmons’s appearance on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday morning. (He took to the show to talk about Ballghazi.) Here’s the clip in question. On its face, nothing he said was too offensive, though he did take a couple shots at NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, saying the handling of the scandal was “pathetic” and that Goodell lacked the “testicular fortitude to do anything until he gauges public reaction.” Not even wrong! Speaking about Ballghazi on another network, however, may have been a final, final, final straw.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Deadspin hates Simmons because he 'poached' people from them, so I wouldn't count on getting a fair take from them

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
He wasn't fired either despite what that deadspin article asserts. I mean I understand an employer choosing to not extend a contract can be the same thing as firing, but it isn't even clear yet that is actually what happened versus Simmons himself choosing to not re-up the contract, or most likely a combination of both. Seems like the type of misleading title that deadspin would mock if another outlet wrote it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I dunno, that language is pretty clearly a firing. Deadspin just put up another piece that describes it better than I can but yeah, that was a public demonstration. I'm interested to see what Bill's response will be.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Deadspin's fondness for taking shots at Simmons comes from the fact that he's an amazingly easy target that they can get good quotes on from their sources at Bristol, not because of some personal animus. If I recall correctly most of the Deadspin "poaching" took place before Tommy Craggs even took over Deadspin, and even he's moved on to Gawker EiC at this point.

That said, my pessimistic assumption is that while Simmons is going to be fine, everyone at Grantland that still has to work for a living is going to see their article rates plummet and contracts expire as ESPN throttles back their investment to "sustainable" levels, now that the one guy who kept a wall between Grantland and ESPN editorial at-large is gone.

Rates have already been in freefall with the SoE and Score shutterings as well as ongoing industry standard-lowering from places like SBN and Bleacher Report, so I expect it to be even harder for people to earn a living in the field come this time next year. And you can complain about this not being a field worth paying people money for all you want, but if that's the case you're welcome to stop reading any of the content it produces, and also go gently caress yourself.

Crion fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 8, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I love Grantland. I go there everyday as much for its pop culture coverage as its sports stuff. If it starts to suffer or fall apart I will be sad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crion posted:

Deadspin's fondness for taking shots at Simmons comes from the fact that he's an amazingly easy target that they can get good quotes on from their sources at Bristol, not because of some personal animus. If I recall correctly most of the Deadspin "poaching" took place before Tommy Craggs even took over Deadspin, and even he's moved on to Gawker EiC at this point.
Yeah, the entire purpose of Deadspin's existence is to skewer sports media so any apparent hatred of Simmons more than anyone else is because of his visibility.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think Simmons is an rear end in a top hat with a huge ego and very thin skin. And still everything on that deadspin story about him being fired makes me side with him over ESPN.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

FMguru posted:

Grantland could get even better in Simmons' absence, insofar as some of his more annoying editorial tics would be further marginalize
It won't. Hop into a time machine, set it to 2009, and hit up Page 2 because that is what Grantland will be in 18 months. This is the network that sides with Skip Bayless over their journalists (ie Dan Rafael having to delete his tweet calling out Bayless for saying Manny clearly won). Grantland is done. It was a good run.

Bill Simmons acts like a baby a lot of times, but the only times he has gotten in trouble in the last 2 years have involved correctly calling out Roger Goodell. What a coincidence, he goes on the radio yesterday and craps on Goodell, and today, 5 months before his contract expires, they announce they won't renew his deal. It could not be more obvious what happened if Goodell himself handed over the pink slip. I wonder if John Skipper called him Roger or Mr. Goodell when he took the order.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Simmons is clearly a dude with a large ego but he also did an incredible job at reading the currents of popular culture, cultivating exceptional talent and pushing things in a good direction to let that talent flourish.

This is so much an NFL/Goodell thing it's not even funny.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I hope he goes the route of private funding a new website instead of joining up with Yahoo/SBNation/Bleacher Report. He seems to have enough big money connections that funding the venture shouldn't be an issue. He should then steal all of the good writers back from Grantland before it becomes Page 2 2.0.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I know Simmons is a baby and I find his writing at this point pretty unbearable but I loving love Grantland. I'm pissed he got pushed out and it's pretty clear ESPN hosed him over in this negotiation—the timing of this tells all
I worry about Grantland moving forward. Simmons' pubic persona and popularity allowed the site to take really interesting subjects that would never find a home on a Page2 like site.

I hope a memo from the NFL leaks that says they asked Skipper to get rid of him.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Simmons likes being a patron, but what he likes even more is access. The kind of access he specifically craves is NBA access. That probably means Bleacher Report/Yahoo/FOX Sports is in his future, perhaps with some kind of fiefdom like Grantland set up to tickle his patronage bone -- though I'd be shocked if this time he didn't focus far, far more on video content than written.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't know how anyone could think Grantland would get better. Look at the kind of people ESPN hires for their main site. I'd be surprised if the site is even up in 5 years. Probably best to just absorb the good sports writers like Lowe and dump the rest. Simmons has a huge following and I'm guessing drew most of the traffic to Grantland and it's authors.

I'm also kind of interested to see where he goes next. I hope he gets funding to start his own site. He's clearly good at finding talent and letting them do what they do. And without huge editorial oversight from a company like ESPN that has to cater to all the leagues they cover, we could really get some great stuff. Imagine the group of writers he has being allowed to go all in on the NFL or any other hot button issue that was sort of off-limits. I know these types of sites have been attempted in the past, but never with someone who can generate the funding and attention Simmons can.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Simmons was down to like one article a month on Grantland. I liked him but he hasn't been the main draw to that site in years. Really, I like everyone on that site except the stupid NFL stats guy who is never correct.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crion posted:

Simmons likes being a patron, but what he likes even more is access. The kind of access he specifically craves is NBA access. That probably means Bleacher Report/Yahoo/FOX Sports is in his future, perhaps with some kind of fiefdom like Grantland set up to tickle his patronage bone -- though I'd be shocked if this time he didn't focus far, far more on video content than written.

Bleacher Report is tied in with the NBA which would be nice for him, but I don't think he needs the others to get access. The guy is a huge name. I mean the news of his departure made the front page of the NY Times website. If he starts his own outlet, he'll get access most anywhere because his name alone generates huge traffic.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I don't know how anyone could think Grantland would get better. Look at the kind of people ESPN hires for their main site. I'd be surprised if the site is even up in 5 years. Probably best to just absorb the good sports writers like Lowe and dump the rest. Simmons has a huge following and I'm guessing drew most of the traffic to Grantland and it's authors.

Honestly that might not be a bad reason to fire Simmons on its own. ESPN.com gets way way more traffic than Grantland ever will, so absorbing its talent back into the mothership might actually make a lot of sense. Add in his tendency to bite the hand that feeds him, and the way he clearly has more than a professional level of animus against Goodell (he's bad, but it definitely seems personal with Simmons after the suspension), and I don't really blame ESPN at all. Besides, it's the most interesting option, so I look forward to seeing what happens next.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Niwrad posted:

Bleacher Report is tied in with the NBA which would be nice for him, but I don't think he needs the others to get access. The guy is a huge name. I mean the news of his departure made the front page of the NY Times website. If he starts his own outlet, he'll get access most anywhere because his name alone generates huge traffic.

There is a whole lot of institutional support and ease-of-access stuff regarding, e.g., credentialing, interviewing, facility access during non-game days that just Being Bill Simmons alone won't get him. He'll need people for that, and specifically he'll need institutional backing so that if he DOES say something the NBA or etc don't like, they can't just yank all credentials from BillSimmons.com in perpetuity -- they have to yank a Yahoo! Sports cred, or a FOX Sports cred, or whatever, and they have to deal with THOSE organizations taking it as an affront to themselves professionally and making their own phone calls. Being a huge name is great for moving clicks and attracting advertisers. In terms of the kind of access Simmons craves, however, he's going to want someone established to tie his brand to -- or he's going to have to spend years building up a media machine of his own from scratch.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I worry about the content getting lost if ESPN absorbs the Grantland sportswriters. ESPN loves promoting reporters/gossip mongers and often buries good analysis if it can't trigger some First Take-like discussion.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It will never happen for many, many reasons, but Simmons at Deadspin would be the funniest of all possible worlds. Even (or especially) if he just wrote a guest column bashing ESPN before moving on.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Sinteres posted:

It will never happen for many, many reasons, but Simmons at Deadspin would be the funniest of all possible worlds. Even (or especially) if he just wrote a guest column bashing ESPN before moving on.

That'd be hilarious just to read all the nerdrage it would cause.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I'm not sure I can put into words how quickly Deadspin would say "yes" to Bill Simmons defenestrating John Skipper and company on their page. If I were a betting man I'd put money down on them having already reached out to Simmons through every channel available for just that purpose.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Deadspin has yet another follow-up article up, and holy crap ESPN dropped the bomb on him.

quote:

The timing is vicious, even separate from the surprise. Simmons’s contract runs through the end of September. Rather than waiting out the string, Skipper made the announcement today, making it so that Simmons can no longer use ESPN’s offer as a bargaining chip as he enters negotiations with prospective employers. Whether this was Skipper’s intention or not, he’s functionally cost Simmons six or seven figures wherever he lands.

It’s a strange thing. Skipper and ESPN spent nearly 15 years signing checks and dealing with the occasional Simmons-related headache, so why make this move now, four months before Simmons’s contract is even up? It can’t just be the petulance (he’s always been petulant) or the money (money has never really mattered to ESPN) that brought down the axe. Given all the circumstances, this sure looks like Skipper simply deciding that ESPN just flat out doesn’t need Bill Simmons anymore. If the value of Simmons’s name still outweighed all of his baggage, there’s no reason the company wouldn’t have continued to negotiate toward a new deal for the next few months. Instead, Skipper hit the eject button when nobody was expecting it, and he doesn’t even seem all that concerned about the Simmons-less future
Something went really, really wrong with the Simmons/ESPN relationship for them to do this. Simmons' response is going to be volcanic (and almost justifiably so).

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There's no way that any of the good Grantland writers would be used in a meaningful context on the ESPN mothership. Can you imagine Zach Lowe writing an in-depth, several thousand word piece about the Wizards that ends with a like/dislike list that makes fun of mascots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I think that's slightly overblown. Chances are Fox/NBC and other sports websites will be falling all over trying to get Simmons for them. He will get paid a lot no matter where he goes.