Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Deadpool posted:

I'm a big fan of the older books built around one off stories and rotating cast members from Marvel like Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Two-In-One, Marvel Premiere, Marvel Fanfare, Marvel Comics Presents, and all the various volumes of those books. Are there are any other Marvel titles like those that I'm forgetting? Even if they only ran for like a half dozen issues or so.

In the late 80's/early-90's Marvel had a series of oversized specials that just went under the title "Marvel Super Heroes" that they used to clean out some old inventory stories. It even got stories from comics that had been canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

In the late 80's/early-90's Marvel had a series of oversized specials that just went under the title "Marvel Super Heroes" that they used to clean out some old inventory stories. It even got stories from comics that had been canceled.

I had so many of those. Back in the days when every shop had quarter bins.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Skwirl posted:

A+X had generally positive reactions, but I never read it, and only just this minute remembered it existed.

There were definitely a few great stories in there. :nyoron: There was a cool one with Loki and Sinister, and then a great little story about Captain America and Quentin Quire. (I may have just liked it because I'm a sucker for Quentin Quire, though ...)

I should grab those trades.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
A+X was so good and I still don't know why it was canceled. Well, I know why, but I am still very disappointed.

Also it gave us the greatest comic book weapon in years, Deadpool's Hulk-hand arrows packed with explosives.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was cancelled, like all of those types of books, because it seems most comic fans tend to think that if stories don't matter they're not worth reading. Nothing in A+X mattered and thus no reason to buy it. It's a lovely mentality but one that's pretty widespread.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

A+X was so good and I still don't know why it was canceled. Well, I know why, but I am still very disappointed.

Also it gave us the greatest comic book weapon in years, Deadpool's Hulk-hand arrows packed with explosives.

I have to disagree. It gave us the greatest comic book weapon in years, a shotgun that fires Scott Summers' cloned eyeballs.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Deadpool posted:

I'm a big fan of the older books built around one off stories and rotating cast members from Marvel like Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Two-In-One, Marvel Premiere, Marvel Fanfare, Marvel Comics Presents, and all the various volumes of those books. Are there are any other Marvel titles like those that I'm forgetting? Even if they only ran for like a half dozen issues or so.

Solo Avengers / Avengers Spotlight?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Deadpool posted:

It was cancelled, like all of those types of books, because it seems most comic fans tend to think that if stories don't matter they're not worth reading. Nothing in A+X mattered and thus no reason to buy it. It's a lovely mentality but one that's pretty widespread.

20 years of marketing are to blame for that. DC and Marvel did it to themselves.

There's a reason Ambush Bug kept putting "In this issue... Darkseid!" on every cover.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

I have to disagree. It gave us the greatest comic book weapon in years, a shotgun that fires Scott Summers' cloned eyeballs.

Sold

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
On the AvX bandwagon, but I just recently got Marvel Unlimited, and I'm wondering if there is a suggested read order? or is this a completely self contained side series? The MU app has separate sections, but doesn't really combine them with the main AvX books...

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

On the AvX bandwagon, but I just recently got Marvel Unlimited, and I'm wondering if there is a suggested read order? or is this a completely self contained side series? The MU app has separate sections, but doesn't really combine them with the main AvX books...

If you want to read them in order, just add them all to your library. That will just sort them in order of release and you can do that. I don't think you really need anything other than the main book though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok, what happened with Inhumanity? Fraction bailed after 2, so is the Soule series taking that over or was that always a planned series?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Inhuman was planned for Fraction after those two issues.
I love it as is, though. Soule's good.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

It's pretty self contained but I think reading Wolverine and the xmen first (or up to avx) may help. It also helps that watxm was a really fun book.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked Wolverine and the X-Men up until AvX when it felt like I was only getting snippets of a larger story. That kind of stuff is why I stopped reading comics back in the 90s.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Rhyno posted:

Well we had Avenging Spider-man, Superior Team-Up, Savage Wolverine and Savage Hulk. I'm sure we'll get some variation based on the next film that isn't Ant-Man.

I'd read Ant-Man Team-Up. It'd be great for the guest character, because they wouldn't be the second stringer of the pair.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do the Former Phoenix 5 (and Magneto!) ever get their powers fixed?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Do the Former Phoenix 5 (and Magneto!) ever get their powers fixed?

Yes and its real real stupid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

The fixing or the reason they were broken? And I don't care I hate "my powers don't work" storylines.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

The fixing or the reason they were broken? And I don't care I hate "my powers don't work" storylines.

The fixing/reason why they don't work. Its really really dumb

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The fixing/reason why they don't work. Its really really dumb

can you spoil it for me? i bailed on Bendis' X-Men after Battle of the Atom and now i'm curious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

can you spoil it for me? i bailed on Bendis' X-Men after Battle of the Atom and now i'm curious.

It was Dark Beast

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While we're on the subject, how did Quicksilver get his powers back?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He wished REALLY hard, right? (I'm only half-kidding, I think I saw someone say this is pretty much it, though possibly with the caveat of needing them to save Luna.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It was Dark Beast

huh. more than being dumb, that's just completely underwhelming.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

they just kinda came back on their own, i think? like it was semi psychosomatic? he was also fuckin with the terrigen mists for a while, that may have had something to do with it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Terrigen Mist then he got his powers back just because.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Pretty sure Magneto's powers are still wonky. His power levels are still a lot lower than they used to be at least.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

It was Dark Beast

Actually that was only for two of them, it was just spectacularly badly written and confused a lot of people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Terrigen Mist then he got his powers back just because.

No that was like a time skipping powers. I'm reading the latest X Factor run and he's just regular fast Pietro.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm glad he got them back anyway, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten that great scene from Thunderbolts where he kicks the poo poo out of Mr X, the guy who can psychically predict your every attack, and who was wielding Odin's spear, with a piece of rebar.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 9, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

No that was like a time skipping powers. I'm reading the latest X Factor run and he's just regular fast Pietro.

Yeah he got his time skipping powers, had them removed, and then just because has his old powers back

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Pretty sure Magneto's powers are still wonky. His power levels are still a lot lower than they used to be at least.

Yeah, Mags is shooting up MGH whenever he needs to go all superpowered. Although somebody in Magneto's book did hint that his power problem was all psychosomatic and nothing to do with the Phoenix at all.

Strangely even though the Dark Beast reveal was pretty stupid, the only one whose powers really got fixed immediately was Cyclops. Emma Frost's telepathy didn't come back, even though later she suddenly busted out "Oh my telepathy's been back for a while I just didn't say". Colossus got his powers fixed by taking the Namor route of going on to be in a book where the writers really didn't care about that whole wonky power business.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, did Namor just turn up in Avengers or Invaders and was all "Yup, got my powers again."?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, did Namor just turn up in Avengers or Invaders and was all "Yup, got my powers again."?

No, he just never lost them. He also never hung out with the other X-Men again after AvX/after Hickman started writing New Avengers, so he never had to awkwardly hang around and be like "God, Summers, what's wrong with your eyes?"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't know what fixed Colossus, but Dark Beast had nothing to do with Magneto, Emma, Cyclops, or Magik. Magik got a powerup and has been running around all THIS IS SUPER loving AWESOME SUCKS TO BE THE REST OF YOU, and Magneto, Emma, and Cyclops have all just been working very slowly to get their powers back and/or under control, bit by bit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cable and Forge I believe made a suit for Colossus that fixed his powers in Cable and X-Force. I miss that series, it was so much better than Spurrier's X-Force. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know what fixed Colossus, but Dark Beast had nothing to do with Magneto, Emma, Cyclops, or Magik. Magik got a powerup and has been running around all THIS IS SUPER loving AWESOME SUCKS TO BE THE REST OF YOU, and Magneto, Emma, and Cyclops have all just been working very slowly to get their powers back and/or under control, bit by bit.

Nah, Dark Beast infected Magik and Cyclops. It was additional power issues on top of their original ones. Cyclops was having involuntary discharges, and Magik's teleportation wasn't always working.

The original issues they all (except Namor, but plus Magneto) had was Phoenix related but never really explained and just eventually went away for Emma. Fixing the above secondary issue fixed Cyclops, and Magik fixed herself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Cyclops was having involuntary discharges

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Cable and Forge I believe made a suit for Colossus that fixed his powers in Cable and X-Force. I miss that series, it was so much better than Spurrier's X-Force. :(

I'm pretty sure Forge's suit was supposed to just be a temporary measure. Colossus' powers really got fixed when he just showed up in Amazing X-Men and no one questioned how he got them back.