Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I've been putting off climbing for nearly a year, mostly due to injury and partly because I can't seem to find anyone willing to come to the gym with me, but I think this week I'll just head in there and ask people if they don't mind me tagging along. Failing that, I'll just hit the bouldering walls solo.

I'm also considering getting a crashmat for a spot of bouldering up on dartmoor at some point soon, though the real dream is to do a bit of deep water solo around the Devon coast.

My climbing gym has a pin-board that's always full of people looking for climbing partners, listing their ideal climbing grade etc. Failing that, asking at the desk might result in them hooking you up with someone in the same situation.

Good luck with the DWS at Devon, that would be amazing, let me know how you get on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I've been putting off climbing for nearly a year, mostly due to injury and partly because I can't seem to find anyone willing to come to the gym with me, but I think this week I'll just head in there and ask people if they don't mind me tagging along. Failing that, I'll just hit the bouldering walls solo.

I'm also considering getting a crashmat for a spot of bouldering up on dartmoor at some point soon, though the real dream is to do a bit of deep water solo around the Devon coast.

UKC has a pretty active partners wanted board, you could try there too.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Planet granite had a climbing comp a couple weeks ago. After a few climbs I got bored of waiting in lines and busted out my camera. 600 photos later....

These were about 100 of the better ones.

https://www.dropbox.com/l/2VTkUzzpHKFfaqgmxBufir

Check out the bat hang in the men's finals route.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Planet granite had a climbing comp a couple weeks ago. After a few climbs I got bored of waiting in lines and busted out my camera. 600 photos later....

Looks fun, great pictures!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Looks fun as hell. What's the deal with what looks like a tandem climb? I've never seen that: you have to hold onto your partner's arm at all times?

Thanks for the pictures.

e: vvvv Goddamn that's cool.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 4, 2015

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Ravenfood posted:

Looks fun as hell. What's the deal with what looks like a tandem climb? I've never seen that: you have to hold onto your partner's arm at all times?

Thanks for the pictures.

They're gaining popularity in climbing comps at the minute, check out this video for an example. I think there would be a lot of pressure not to drag your climbing partner off the wall... I'd like to give it a try!

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Thanks for the pictures.

e: vvvv Goddamn that's cool.

For that problem the first and last moves had to be done attached. Those are photos of the start position (each person had to go up 1 hold while joined) after which each person could move up on their own. The final dyno had to be done by 1 partner for bonus raffle tickets!!!!

The route setters didn't complete it when they tried to give everyone a beta haha. And I think only a few groups made it past the starter holds (let alone to the start position off the ground) and only like 2 pairs completed it that day.

Edit: yeah just like the video.

Meatbag Esq. fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 4, 2015

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

For that problem the first and last moves had to be done attached. Those are photos of the start position (each person had to go up 1 hold while joined) after which each person could move up on their own. The final dyno had to be done by 1 partner for bonus raffle tickets!!!!

The route setters didn't complete it when they tried to give everyone a beta haha. And I think only a few groups made it past the starter holds (let alone to the start position off the ground) and only like 2 pairs completed it that day.

Edit: yeah just like the video.

Funny enough when I was there at lunch today a guy said "Nah it's way easier with one person" and just cruised up it with no effort.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Did my first trad crack climb at Turkey Perch on Saturday. Incidentally, took my first fall on trad gear, also. I was getting my rear end totally kicked by a 5.7 (god, 5.7? It was Honky Jam rear end Crack, for the curious) offwidth, panicked when I heard thunder rolling in, lost my feet while my arm was jammed in all the way to my elbow, and fell onto my #2 after my elbow popped out (I'm glad it popped out).

Oddly enough, I only want more of this.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

prAna is on sale for 10-30% off on backcountry.com again.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

ultimatemike posted:

Funny enough when I was there at lunch today a guy said "Nah it's way easier with one person" and just cruised up it with no effort.

I, too, complete "v10s" using rainbow holds.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

spwrozek posted:

prAna is on sale for 10-30% off on backcountry.com again.

Thank you for this! Been wanting a pair of their stretch zion pants but they're pricy.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Thank you for this! Been wanting a pair of their stretch zion pants but they're pricy.

I grabbed another pair of pants as well. I now have 2 of the pants and 3 of the shorts (I love the shorts). I don't really know how I climbed in anything else.

Flashed this bad boy on saturday: http://www.mountainproject.com/v/killer-fish-taco/105754729

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Hit the gym yesterday and holy goddamn have I lost a lot of stamina and grip. I managed a few problems of varying difficulty but having never done much more than bouldering and a little deep water solo at the beach/cliffs my style is really unorthodox at this point and I'm tiring myself out a lot more than I should be.
Really nice crowd there though, a dude taught me how to flag and I was repeatedly shown up by an incredibly skilled 4 foot tall girl with purple hair on just about all of the problems I attempted, which was cool and she even gave me a few pointers. Just watching the people there with all of their different techniques was really interesting and I learned a lot.

Back again tomorrow... Or as soon as my skin grows back and I regain the feeling in my arms.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I've gotten flappers on every finger after every knuckle. How can I stop this from happening... I hate one by one taping everything up at the gym.

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug

Uncle Jam posted:

I've gotten flappers on every finger after every knuckle. How can I stop this from happening... I hate one by one taping everything up at the gym.

I try and mostly lurk in this thread, but I can't help but ask how the hell this could happen? Can we see pictures? I'd also be curious to know how long you've been climbing and how often. That might help figure out what's going on.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
I had that too for a while. Combination of soft/stretchy skin and bad technique. I got better at climbing and also started filing the starting blisters and hard skin down once or twice a week and haven't had a problem for months.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
when I got back into gym climbing last year I realized I'd lost my shoes in a move. I went to pick up some new shoes and decided I'd get something cheap to hold me over incase I found my old shoes or decided I wanted something different.

The shoes I picked up were these ones:
http://climbingshoes.com/climb-x-rock-master-nlv.aspx

the reason I got them was (well besides the fact they were on sale for under $40) they were narrow low volume and I have very narrow feet with pretty low arch. They fit well but I bought them at least a size too big and now that I'm beginning to work back up to climbing trickier stuff I definitely need some better shoes.

Can anybody recommend me some decent models that are good for people with narrower feet? ideally something that's velcro so I can take them on and off while trading belays at the gym.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
wheeeee, first pair of rock shoes yesterday! They're not MEGA tight so probably a little on the large side for super pro climbing, but I'm a total beginner and nowhere near being limited by my shoes yet so I'm just super stoked with them. I was doing routes I had no chance at in my trainers, just coming down I noticed the difference, I used to slip and slide all over the place but this time was fine

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

MMD3 posted:

Can anybody recommend me some decent models that are good for people with narrower feet? ideally something that's velcro so I can take them on and off while trading belays at the gym.

My BF has narrow feet and likes the Miura VS a lot. Or you could just get women's shoes (skip the Solutions, maybe).

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I really can't say enough about the Tenaya Oasi's. I wear them 1.5 (US) sizes down and they're pretty magical.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Save me jeebus posted:

My BF has narrow feet and likes the Miura VS a lot. Or you could just get women's shoes (skip the Solutions, maybe).

Why do you say to ignore Solutions? Everyone I know who has them really likes theirs.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

MMD3 posted:

As others have mentioned, I think Sportiva and Tenaya shoes tend to be good for narrower, lower volume feet. If you're looking for something not too expensive and easy to put on and remove in the gym, I'd consider slippers as well as velcro. Sportiva Cobra, Oxygym, Katana, Jeckyl VS, and Tenaya Ra, Inti, Aqua+ all are viable options.

The most important advice with shoes is to try them on before you buy if at all possible. Ultimately you want a pair that fits your foot well and doesn't have a lot of dead space, and there are so many little variations from model to model that the only way to really know what's best is by trying a bunch of stuff on.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

turevidar posted:

Why do you say to ignore Solutions? Everyone I know who has them really likes theirs.

The women's ones are bright pink and are ugly as sin, IMO. It was a [poor] joke.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Shoe chat - A bunch of pages back I asked for alternatives to the Mythos, and was suggested TC Pros. I have a pair on right now, and I like them. They are not even remotely close to as comfortable as my mythos, by any stretch of the imagination, but they are comfortable enough to leave on for a while and walk around in. (They are sized up a half a size larger than my mythos as well.) I'll keep them and see how they do. From an actual climbing perspective (although I haven't climbed in them yet) they feel like they will be much better than my mythos are.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Save me jeebus posted:

The women's ones are bright pink and are ugly as sin, IMO. It was a [poor] joke.

But half the fun of climbing trips is being able to look as dumb as possible!

I really want some of these:

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
Any thoughts on the LS Miura's vs Katana's? I've burned through a pair of Futura's in like 5 months. Pretty heavy use, but my footwork is shoddy and I think they have a thin design to give you more control, but leads to less durability.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Teeter posted:

But half the fun of climbing trips is being able to look as dumb as possible!

I really want some of these:

Would wear.

I did just get some new tie-dye leggings from Sure Design!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Save me jeebus posted:

When I worked at a shop, I'd bring out the women's Solution for a customer who asked for them, and that woman would immediately ask if we had the men's in that size or for another suggestion.

armorer posted:

Shoe chat - A bunch of pages back I asked for alternatives to the Mythos, and was suggested TC Pros. I have a pair on right now, and I like them.

I'm glad you like my suggestion. :)

Edit: and Katana vs Miura is a nasty incetuous mixup of four shoes with two names and two closure systems. Do you want velcro or laces?

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Edit: and Katana vs Miura is a nasty incetuous mixup of four shoes with two names and two closure systems. Do you want velcro or laces?

I don't care too much about the closure, but if a gun was to my head I'd say velcro. All around performance and durability is what I'm looking for. Currently climbing in the eleven range outdoors on varied terrain, but very few cracks.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

The best thing about a home wall is having people you know set their own poo poo.

Climbing someone else's favorite moves will make you burly.

That is all.

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
all the moves at the gym are set by people other than me.

~burly~

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Currently only gym climbing but I would like to get outdoors this fall. Amazon has GriGri's for $70 right now. Is that about as cheap as they get, or are there good yearly deals that are worth waiting for?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

compton rear end terry posted:

Currently only gym climbing but I would like to get outdoors this fall. Amazon has GriGri's for $70 right now. Is that about as cheap as they get, or are there good yearly deals that are worth waiting for?
they're usually $99-110, most places will throw out a 20% off 1 item coupon every few months. I'd say grab one, it's the cheapest I've seen them.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

compton rear end terry posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I have been waiting for a good time to pick one up.

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004
A few pictures from the last few weekends:

Bishop: First time!

A FA? The Washroom Traverse

Phantom Spires: Ticked fear of flying and a few others

Mt St Helena: Ticked everything on the bubble

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
:aaa: that all looks awesome...wanna build a house at the top of those spires.

Has anyone here climbed at Vauxwall in London? It looks cool but also looks like it might be small and so permanently rammed...does it get really busy in the evenings/mornings or is it ok?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Awesome looking trip.

The thread has really been delivery this year! Keep it coming everybody. Really inspiring me more and more.

I felt like I crushed it at the gym yesterday. 11b was starting to feel almost easy. Gamera009 it is probably time to plan on the brown palace.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Awesome looking trip.

The thread has really been delivery this year! Keep it coming everybody. Really inspiring me more and more.

I felt like I crushed it at the gym yesterday. 11b was starting to feel almost easy. Gamera009 it is probably time to plan on the brown palace.

Welp.

Okay. Pick a time this summer. :colbert:

Also, I assume this means you are volunteering to lead the worst pitch.

All this talk of 11b and you still can't complete a V3 on the garage wall.

Shame on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Is tying into top rope bolt anchors doable/safe with static rope instead of a sling?