Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

At least Yuke's is better (more honest??) than Firaxis, who make half a game and then charge retail price for two 25% chunks of it months after the fact. Not even "content" but, like, whole new ways to play the game

Guessing you're talking about Civ5, which I had plenty of fun with on launch :shrug:

X-com was fantastic, beyond earth is just a standard bad game imo and starships is weirdly marketed for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's a lot safer to keep your guys in the midcard as long as possible. Reason being, at upper midcard and above, losing matches results in a loss of popularity in whatever regions are watching, in addition to momentum loss (though as a general rule, the closer in overness two opponents are, the lesser the overness loss). At midcard and below, popularity loss is not a problem, in fact workers will gain popularity when they lose, though jobbers' in-the-toilet momentum will see their overness gain slowly.

Interesting, I've been playing TEW for ages and somehow didn't know this.

I've been intuitively following it though, generally if I push a guy to Upper or Main he's not losing any matches except in PPV feuds. I don't book WWE style :colbert:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Hmm, now that I think about it more, I think many of my workers are close to hitting their upper limit in popularity in the region due to my small fed size. This led to the problem I'm currently having which means that my upper limit popularity workers (C+ B- range) have their pushes all over the place from midcarder-main eventer. Obviously the best way to prevent this would be to intentionally limit their growth by jobbing them out, but this means I'll have my old problem where workers I'll eventually want to push gets no popularity increases even if I have them lose to guys with a full letter grade or higher in popularity.

Basically, how I can I ensure that if a worker's popularity is stalled, I can reignite a push?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Got a bigger hard drive for my 360 and started ripping more music to it to circumvent the pain of setting up Windows Media Center streaming of theme songs.

Then Hacksaw Jim Duggan comes out to "Grab Them Cakes" and when he wins, they play Superfly Snuka's song for some reason. So 2k14 will occasionally be crappy and just grab random files to play entrance music no matter what's assigned.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Actually that sounds better than Hacksawn's actual themes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Do you really need a hex editor to inject custom themes into 2k15?

This WCW '99 project is gonna take longer than I thought.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

1st AD posted:

Do you really need a hex editor to inject custom themes into 2k15?

This WCW '99 project is gonna take longer than I thought.

I'm hoping that someone will roll out a tool for this in the next month or two. Something like Rocksmith has for injecting custom DLC.

lol modders are the worst:

quote:

I do not supply links to download any of my work - I will only be giving out links to my work to trusted individuals, I refuse to let my work be eaten up by a repeat of WWF No Mercy's community.

http://smacktalks.org/forums/topic/56136-bannockburns-modification-collection/

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 8, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay now 2k14 is getting into this weird habit of having every tag match feature:

A) one team member turning on the other and leaving them to face the other two alone

B) After the match, the abandoned member helps someone on the other side beat up THEIR partner

I turned off "Tag Team Breakups/Creation" in Universe mode so I have no idea why it's doing this so often. I was able to make it work in storyline once but it's happening way too often.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay now 2k14 is getting into this weird habit of having every tag match feature:

A) one team member turning on the other and leaving them to face the other two alone

B) After the match, the abandoned member helps someone on the other side beat up THEIR partner

I turned off "Tag Team Breakups/Creation" in Universe mode so I have no idea why it's doing this so often. I was able to make it work in storyline once but it's happening way too often.

Maybe that's what I need to do. I have it turned on, and NONE of this stuff happens.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Davros1 posted:

Maybe that's what I need to do. I have it turned on, and NONE of this stuff happens.

Yuke's Future Media Creators: Wait, off means on?

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

AlmightyPants posted:

In Supercard the final login bonus for the month seems to have gone from epic to legendary.

Also boosts don't seem to work anymore in KOTR playoffs, so uhhhh....?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah, I had it on in 2k14 and nothing loving happened ever.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

BlueArmyMan posted:

Also boosts don't seem to work anymore in KOTR playoffs, so uhhhh....?

They work, they just don't show up as being used. They're looking into fixing it, according to the forums.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I'm hoping that someone will roll out a tool for this in the next month or two. Something like Rocksmith has for injecting custom DLC.

lol modders are the worst:

http://smacktalks.org/forums/topic/56136-bannockburns-modification-collection/

Jesus Christ I hope that guys going to be the exception rather than the rule, insular circle jerking mod communities are the loving worst.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Gough Suppressant posted:

Jesus Christ I hope that guys going to be the exception rather than the rule, insular circle jerking mod communities are the loving worst.

Same forum is responsible for the guy who made the packer tool, who is charging a $14 "mandatory donation" so... yea I think they're going to all be horrible people.

Hoping an open source unpacker will come out, I'd love to see if any of them or the other author bitches about it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Wow so I made it to Smackdown in MyCareer, and here's the first option it gives me:

Randy Orton in a dark match
Brock Lesnar in a tune up match :stare:

Quite the step up from fighting Cody on Main Event

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So I decided to play around with company products in the database editor for TEW 2013, and I have a question regarding analysis. So once you get to a level that promotes performance over popularity there is text saying "will mean the fans won't care about the wrestlers' characters or gimmicks". But it also says "will attract fans who are not keen on gimmicks". If both statements are in the analysis does it mean that there are no gimmick effects or any gimmick will detract from a segment. Also does the latter statement apply to all gimmicks or only the outlandish ones?

Also does different products change how severe the penalty for a face vs face or heel vs heel match up will be? Like I'm assuming a Key Feature Mainstream and Low Realism would have more severe penalties compared to one where those levels are reversed but I want to know if this assumption is true.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
My main problem in TEW 13 is that every wrestler is just a gigantic dick. Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose of all people were the only guys I could ever find in the entire database who were willing to do jobs. Everyone else is loving Hoganesque.

I can have a guy in the lower midcard slot with 30 overness across the country, and he'll flip his god drat poo poo about doing the job to some 5 overness newcomer I'm trying to get over.

It's almost impossible to debut guys (for example out of NXT) and get anyone to put them over without having to generously bribe them continuously. I don't know if this is how the game is meant to work or if I'm just doing something horribly wrong, but it's really obnoxious having to have everyone 'keep strong' and 'protected' in nearly every match if I don't want them losing their minds.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

My main problem in TEW 13 is that every wrestler is just a gigantic dick. Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose of all people were the only guys I could ever find in the entire database who were willing to do jobs. Everyone else is loving Hoganesque.

I can have a guy in the lower midcard slot with 30 overness across the country, and he'll flip his god drat poo poo about doing the job to some 5 overness newcomer I'm trying to get over.

It's almost impossible to debut guys (for example out of NXT) and get anyone to put them over without having to generously bribe them continuously. I don't know if this is how the game is meant to work or if I'm just doing something horribly wrong, but it's really obnoxious having to have everyone 'keep strong' and 'protected' in nearly every match if I don't want them losing their minds.

Remember that time Colin Delaney came into ECW and got the poo poo beat out of him by the Big Daddy V's of the world, to put them over as worldbeaters? You're booking that, except Delaney is winning the matches after taking those beatings.

Try booking the new guys to lose in an open match; having them lose, but look competitive doing so is probably going to do better establishing them than having them win after getting their poo poo pushed in, and it shouldn't actively piss off your roster either.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
(TEW2013) Is 'overness' more or less a combination of momentum and popularity? If so, does that mean I should be aiming to push popular workers for best results (as well as talented workers, obviously)?

Edit: I'm running MAW, which is performance-focused. Does worker popularity/momentum affect the match score?

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 9, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Narrator posted:

(TEW2013) Is 'overness' more or less a combination of momentum and popularity? If so, does that mean I should be aiming to push popular workers for best results (as well as talented workers, obviously)?

Edit: I'm running MAW, which is performance-focused. Does worker popularity/momentum affect the match score?

Pop & momentum do have an effect on performance-focused promotions but it's probably only going to be worth a couple of points with your match rating. But I loving love playing as MAW, signed up a bunch of young talent that got cut by SWF and KC Glenn has developed into a world class worker thanks to BHOTWGs. He had a 70 rated match with Findlay O'Farraday.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Yeah, this is the first run that I've actually started having success with my booking. Currently got the belt on Farraday after he won it back from Mean Jean Cattley in a mid-50s-rated ironman match. The biggest obstacle is keeping ahold of talent: Cameron Vessey left to travel Japan, KC Green lasted hardly a year before signing with TCW or somewhere. I feel like when Cattley finally starts to decline and retires there's going to be a bit of a rebuilding period. Most of my talent are still quite young, so keeping them to improve as much as they can is going to be the challenge.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The Narrator posted:

Yeah, this is the first run that I've actually started having success with my booking. Currently got the belt on Farraday after he won it back from Mean Jean Cattley in a mid-50s-rated ironman match. The biggest obstacle is keeping ahold of talent: Cameron Vessey left to travel Japan, KC Green lasted hardly a year before signing with TCW or somewhere. I feel like when Cattley finally starts to decline and retires there's going to be a bit of a rebuilding period. Most of my talent are still quite young, so keeping them to improve as much as they can is going to be the challenge.

I'd suggest picking up Frantic Ali & Fro Sure from IPW along with El Mitico Jnr. Both are pretty charismatic, good brawlers and I think their psychology starts high enough that they can call matches in the ring while El Mitico is a great luchador. I was lucky enough that SWF have dropped in size and released Lenny Brown, Spencer Spade & Primus Allen. Spade is my current HW champion and my co-top heel alongside KC Glenn.
I also released Hollywood Brett Starr within a couple of months because he's a gigantic oval office.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Testekill posted:

I'd suggest picking up Frantic Ali & Fro Sure from IPW along with El Mitico Jnr. Both are pretty charismatic, good brawlers and I think their psychology starts high enough that they can call matches in the ring while El Mitico is a great luchador. I was lucky enough that SWF have dropped in size and released Lenny Brown, Spencer Spade & Primus Allen. Spade is my current HW champion and my co-top heel alongside KC Glenn.
I also released Hollywood Brett Starr within a couple of months because he's a gigantic oval office.

I'll have a look for those folks, thanks. And yeahhh after however many years in-game I've decided to just Starr's contact run out - I kept him on for promos and giving reasonably decent matches, but it's just not worth the impact on the locker room. Based on his potential, I also went after Matty Faith, but dude couldn't handle doing jobs and tested for steroids repeatedly, so gently caress that. Do workers actually learn from disciplinary actions, or are rear end in a top hat workers just never worth the toxic environment?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Narrator posted:

Overness is just another word for popularity. Momentum affects the rate of popularity/overness gain over time (and is generally determined by win/loss record and the quality of matches as determined by the style of your product). A young guy who's low on the card but booked to win consistently will have higher momentum and thus get over faster than a guy who isn't. So for example, a guy with A* momentum wins a match on TV and gains 1% overness in every region that catches it, while a guy with F momentum might gain at .05% (the game's calculations are more complex than this but that's the general gist).

TEW booking thus follows IRL booking in the broad strokes - you want somebody to get over, you book them to win and win consistently. A couple of things, though - this all assumes you have a WWE-style product, which is trickier (and more fun) to book than, say, a PWG-style product. In a WWE-style product, popularity begets popularity - match and segment ratings are disproportionately determined by the overness of the people in them, which means that if you want to push a nobody you've got to get them into matches and segments with your high card workers. In my TEW game thread, Kevin Owens is getting over much more effectively glued to the side of Paul Heyman (including standing in the background of every Lesnar main event plot promo) than he would be if he were on his own. I could just as easily get Sami Zayn over by putting him in a tag program with Cena, etc. A high tide lifts all boats and Cena is a high tide all by himself.

If I were running PWG, on the other hand, none of that would matter - the only thing that PWG fans care about is the quality of ring work to the near-exclusion of anything else. WWE fans, by contrast, don't hate great workers, but they will happily accept a decidedly mediocre talent who's made to look like a winner. In that sense, sports entertainment is a lot more freeing in terms of your choices. I can make Erick Rowan a credible main eventer if I wanted to, it would just take more legwork.

Beyond that, as has been covered in the thread, upper midcarders and main eventers can and will lose popularity on losses, unlike lower card workers, and this should affect how you book them. One of the consistently lamentable things about TEW is that you can't make a rookie by putting him over a more experienced, more popular worker - it really won't help the rookie (though they'll get a decent momentum boost) and it will severely hurt the veteran. So again, make your new guys sidekicks to your more over workers. Book your rookie in a tag team with a high card worker of the same alignment and put them in a storyline but don't set them as being allies - now every match and angle they appear in together will fuel the momentum of the storyline, and if you're crafty with angles you can reap serious dividends when you finally end it (run long enough and booked smartly enough, a storyline featuring opposing workers should benefit all involved no matter who wins or loses).

That's the last thing - storylines are your #1 tool for getting people over. If you want to be really Machiavellian (and why wouldn't you? It's wrestling) you can start a feud between two guys and then add a bunch of jobbers to the feud as well. Have your two guys beat the jobbers, who are then dropped off the storyline. They'll suffer momentum hits while the guys you want to get over will look insanely good.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 9, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The Narrator posted:

I'll have a look for those folks, thanks. And yeahhh after however many years in-game I've decided to just Starr's contact run out - I kept him on for promos and giving reasonably decent matches, but it's just not worth the impact on the locker room. Based on his potential, I also went after Matty Faith, but dude couldn't handle doing jobs and tested for steroids repeatedly, so gently caress that. Do workers actually learn from disciplinary actions, or are rear end in a top hat workers just never worth the toxic environment?

Some workers do learn from disciplinary actions, it's just some people are shitheads who refuse to learn. And Sam Keith won't even let me sign Matty Faith since he fails both his required basics & psychology goals.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Inspired by your thread, I actually took to setting up heat incubator storylines, it's just ensuring that I can get them in angles and matches on enough shows that got repetitive for me.

Thanks for explaining it, the game itself isn't great at giving a guide as to how stats intersect. Much appreciated :)

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

oldskool posted:

Remember that time Colin Delaney came into ECW and got the poo poo beat out of him by the Big Daddy V's of the world, to put them over as worldbeaters? You're booking that, except Delaney is winning the matches after taking those beatings.

Try booking the new guys to lose in an open match; having them lose, but look competitive doing so is probably going to do better establishing them than having them win after getting their poo poo pushed in, and it shouldn't actively piss off your roster either.

Yes, but in the real world EVERYONE THAT DEBUTS doesn't have to start as an opener. Imagine if WWE had to debut Sami Zayn by having him lose to Curtis Axel so he could gain the overness to grab a narrow win over Damien Sandow?

I get the idea and I did end up booking it how you're saying, I just think it's too extreme

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah that's what happens when you take a notion like 'popularity' and render it a statistic. Things won't always translate correctly.
I find it slightly odd that the game has a 'young lion system' because the game expects you to treat every new worker like they were a young lion whether you really want to or not.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

TEW is far from perfect. The Shield's debut would absolutely never work there. They'd have barely over zero popularity to start and putting them over top stars again and again wouldn't do much for them and the top stars would be in open revolt after a month.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I really hope in the next TEW you get one or two "big debuts" a year, where you can hotshot a guy to the upper card. Obviously it should be something where if you try it too often it flops, but it would be nice to have a chance of pulling it off if the guy is skilled or menacing enough.

Edit: In my TEW game, Bischoff has been fired from WCW and Johnny Ace is the new head booker. Time for Big Johnny to turn this sinking ship around!

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 9, 2015

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

spongeh posted:

Same forum is responsible for the guy who made the packer tool, who is charging a $14 "mandatory donation" so... yea I think they're going to all be horrible people.

Hoping an open source unpacker will come out, I'd love to see if any of them or the other author bitches about it.

Blame the paid mods thing and valve. They screwed with the entire community with that.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

RBX posted:

Blame the paid mods thing and valve. They screwed with the entire community with that.

Nah, the mod community has always been filled with insane people who dont want others to "steal" their work

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yeah if you think 2k15's mod community is bad, check out literally any Bethesda game's Nexus site. SA game mod threads are especially valuable because someone usually preserves copies of mods well after their owners have pitched a fit and taken them down forever.

Game dev tools weren't even used to make TEW, it's literally comprised of views / reports / macros generated from an Access database. Rendering every single aspect of the business into a stat and then exptrapolating gradual statistical variation through hidden spreadsheet formulas is the entire point of it. I don't expect that to ever change.

Xerzes posted:

TEW is far from perfect. The Shield's debut would absolutely never work there. They'd have barely over zero popularity to start and putting them over top stars again and again wouldn't do much for them and the top stars would be in open revolt after a month.
I feel like you could make it work, you just put the really embarrassing parts in angles, which guys don't usually complain about. In the WWE besides, you'll have enough cash to placate your high carders for jobs.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah if you think 2k15's mod community is bad, check out literally any Bethesda game's Nexus site.

Where's my 2k15 loli anime waifu valet mod, Nexus? Hurry it up already. :argh:

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

RBX posted:

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Nah, the mod community has always been filled with insane people who dont want others to "steal" their work

this, and xpacker and xray have been "mandatory donations" for a quite long time now.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

RBX posted:

You're a complete idiot. This has been like that for a long, long time.

I actually don't have a problem with the xpacker guy charging for his programs since they seem to be a significant time investment, are very useful, and the older versions can be found for free.

The "I won't post download links, only send to people I trust" kind of thing is loving garbage though and that guy should get in the bin.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 10, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

Where's my 2k15 loli anime waifu valet mod, Nexus? Hurry it up already. :argh:

Clean Harper mod plz

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Gough Suppressant posted:

You're a complete idiot. This has been like that for a long, long time.

I actually don't have a problem with the xpacker guy charging for his programs since they seem to be a significant time investment, are very useful, and the older versions can be found for free.

The "I won't post download links, only send to people I trust" kind of thing is loving garbage though and that guy should get in the bin.

it's more of the label "mandatory donation" just loving call it a paid product don't pretend that it's some sort of alturism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

spongeh posted:

it's more of the label "mandatory donation" just loving call it a paid product don't pretend that it's some sort of alturism.

Yeah, mandatory donation is a dumb as poo poo term.