Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Apropos of nothing, I find that the soundtrack to Sonic Spinball works pretty drat well with this game. Has the same sort of sound as the sound effects, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kelp Plankton posted:

How the hell do you do ranged team up attacks or weapon finishers? I never saw those at all in my playthrough.

The main thing it seems, as far as I can tell (after all, I thought it was unpossible for the longest time), is that it is reliant on everybody involved not having their weapons on cooldown, and ready to be used.

If somebody has a gun or bow, and it's ready to be used, then somebody else doing a team attack with them by way of using their own weapon, will cause the ranged weapon person to team attack by shooting. Or you shoot with them, and a teamwork person set next to the enemy will bust out their sword.

I have no idea if a weapon finisher can be done with people packing guns at range.

EDIT: All this Teamwork move chat reminds me, I really like what they did with the Lead class. It's cool and you want to do stuff with them a lot, but they don't fall into the usual niche of "Main character BEST character".

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Lead is interesting because they shift from a combat class to a support class over the course of the game, so early on they're fighting like everyone else but then in season 4 and 5 they're more about manipulating enemy and teammate positions to set up for other classes to do their thing. It's pretty neat, gives you this sense of the team learning to work together more effectively as they fight together more.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Kelp Plankton posted:

How the hell do you do ranged team up attacks or weapon finishers? I never saw those at all in my playthrough.

Has to be with weapons.

There's actually two Finishers; the five man normal attack where they float into the air and launch beams, and a five man Weapon attack where they combine the weapons into a cannon thing and fire that.

The second one does more damage, but requires your weapons to be off cool down (The actual 'use the weapons', like the Sword/Lance/Axe/Pistol/Bow/Dagger/Rifle stuff).

If you have everyone teamworked to where they could hit the opponent with their weapon and the weapon is off cooldown- so 2 squares with Lance, 1 square for Axe/Dagger/Sword, 3-4 square with Pistol and like 5 for Rifle- then they do the weapon finisher when you pick the weapon of your activator and use it on the bad guy. You can tell when it'll trigger because rather then just flashing and them raising their hands if they're participating, they'll also hold up their weapons.

It's honestly a super pain in the rear end because for like the Assault sometimes that means just straight up not using their weapon to save it for the finish.

this is the same logic with Teamwork attacks, it's just that those involve, obviously, less then 5 people.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Section Z posted:

I have no idea if a weapon finisher can be done with people packing guns at range.

Yes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kelp Plankton posted:

Lead is interesting because they shift from a combat class to a support class over the course of the game, so early on they're fighting like everyone else but then in season 4 and 5 they're more about manipulating enemy and teammate positions to set up for other classes to do their thing. It's pretty neat, gives you this sense of the team learning to work together more effectively as they fight together more.

I'm going with Ashley Smith as Lead for my second run (-20% health on a +50% health class, +30% Sword) to give them even more weapon murder power down the line compared to spear antics. Chainsword and Prism sword were pretty great.

Honestly I'm looking over the options and I realize that of my general favorites, four of the default cast members are ones I like a lot. Mao's (Default Assault) stats are cool but I just wanted someone with more health for Assault at the time.

Alert Johansen(Default) and Weasly Snipes are still my Support and Techie. Michonne was my Assault and May Yeerum(Default) was my Scout the first time, now they have switched places. First run I was using J Blues(Default Techie) as Lead, now it's Ashley.

Snipes is the only dude on my team this time around. And Ashley is the only actor that is new. I guess I'm very boring/particular in what I want for stat bonuses?

EDIT: vvv I doubt it helps recycling. It always says 50% (and then you get zero items recycling five things in a row :shepface:) for all crafting upgrades. It also has no effect on robot crafting.
So I guess it only has a (vague and unexplained) effect on how big your bonus properties are?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 7, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know this, but I'm going to assume Crafting Rate effects what you get back from recycling and / or the random effects you get on crafted items.

Also don't be like me and not realize there were other tabs at the top of the crafting menu for like two seasons.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Yeah the game's defaults are all pretty good for what they do; though some are better for going for specific gimmicks. Like I could see using the Mike Tyson character for an Assault with the Rider path to have literally the highest attack in the game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I the only one loving that instead of any sort of kung fu, your giant robot simply punches the poo poo out of everything? Get your hit high enough, and all you're doing is just wailing on poo poo left and right.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Section Z posted:

I... wait. Please tell me this is a joke.

Oh god, you poor bastard. Throw that in with the buggy counters on the players end and Jesus :gonk:

EDIT: Clearly, despite these bugs bothering me, I must start over and head for this as penance.

Kamen Riders fight alone. Defeat Tammy in the fight with her.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

MisterBibs posted:

Am I the only one loving that instead of any sort of kung fu, your giant robot simply punches the poo poo out of everything? Get your hit high enough, and all you're doing is just wailing on poo poo left and right.

I did this for a bit, but it just didn't feel right without some kind of finishing move.

Kelp Plankton posted:

This honestly makes sense as well with what happens in season 3. The Lead goes from developing into a show stealing sentai lead into realising that it should be about the whole team, so their gimmick evolves into ensuring that the team can get together to kick some rear end.

Also, unintentionally fitting: I went for the pretty boy (can't remember his name) as my Assault because he helped keep initial fees down. By the end, it felt like this wannabe actor had completely and utterly embraced his role, hence he was pulling off absolutely crazy martial arts stunts and just wrecking stuff.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Astro Nut posted:

I did this for a bit, but it just didn't feel right without some kind of finishing move.

Well obviously you wail on poo poo until the finishing move. :colbert:

I'm not entirely done with the game, loving it every step of the way, but holy hell this game makes me wish there was an actual Very Low Budget 90s Children Show Simulator out there. The behind-the-scenes stuff that came out of PR was more interesting than the show itself ever was, and a simulator where you'd have to deal with the things PR had to deal with (a zeitgeist forming with all the benefits and pratfalls, how to salvage the show after that, actors wanting more money than the budget can support, show becoming less popular after it blows up, etc) would be friggin' awesome.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Astro Nut posted:

This honestly makes sense as well with what happens in season 3. The Lead goes from developing into a show stealing sentai lead into realising that it should be about the whole team, so their gimmick evolves into ensuring that the team can get together to kick some rear end.

Also, unintentionally fitting: I went for the pretty boy (can't remember his name) as my Assault because he helped keep initial fees down. By the end, it felt like this wannabe actor had completely and utterly embraced his role, hence he was pulling off absolutely crazy martial arts stunts and just wrecking stuff.

I used Punch Arm (+combo multiplier) and the Bazooka Arm (+hit, Bazooka can't miss) which felt like the best of both worlds, along with the hit chance head. x2 damage multiplier after the first three punches by the end :getin:

(And then I hit block so I could kill them with the bazooka)

I tried out the blaster chest with another accuracy arm, but as cool as that was, I just preferred my other setup. The 3rd Chest and Legs basically make you immortal, and the "reduce cooldowns by your combo count" power is amazing on top of ending up with +70% defense. The heal effect is a joke though, 1k health per combo doesn't do much when perfect blocks are taking 1-2k+ damage at the end of the game even WITH +70% defense.

Also the pure accuracy arm just made me even more mad than anything because then I was constantly missing 99% chance hits instead of 80something chance hits :argh: Still, I'm glad that there is not really a "best" robot setup and you can kick rear end with what you like best.

I think during my second runthrough, I will go bazooka+sword, so I can fire off two finishers and then use the recharge power to make them both ready ASAP.

EDIT: vvv :swoon: I loving love this game, to much amazing poo poo for the bugs to keep me down. Devs have mentioned they hope to have the counter bug fixed when they get around to next patch on that note.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 8, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Evidently odd things can happen if the Mecha's hit combo thing goes up too high..

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

"Can you beat this combo?" No, because your loving RNG prevents me from hitting whenever the rate drops below 80%.

I know it's from the Series Finale robot fight with like 1000% accuracy but I'm bitter anyway. :colbert:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Shaezerus posted:

"Can you beat this combo?" No, because your loving RNG prevents me from hitting whenever the rate drops below 80%.

I know it's from the Series Finale robot fight with like 1000% accuracy but I'm bitter anyway. :colbert:

While it's technically from that fight, that's not what that's showing. Someone wanted to see if you could beat the fight without the fan boost, and proceeded to stack every mecha accuracy boost available, including marketing actions and equipping everyone with the laser pointer gun. Since accuracy stops decreasing after X9 or so, this resulted in a minimum accuracy of 89%, and that screenshot of them nearly destroying the final boss before it got to move.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Section Z posted:

Also the pure accuracy arm just made me even more mad than anything because then I was constantly missing 99% chance hits instead of 80something chance hits :argh: Still, I'm glad that there is not really a "best" robot setup and you can kick rear end with what you like best.
Xenogears pulled the same poo poo with 99%. Not sure how many games in the late 90s had accuracy that topped 99% and still be more of a guess, but I can count Chrono Cross being honest to the odds.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Million Ghosts posted:

-1 Movement in a game based around positionnig!? Seems smart. True sentai use the robot, beaver, and alien on the same team anyways.

I dunno, having my leader have -1 movement hasn't been too bad for me so far up to Season 2...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Brackhar posted:

I dunno, having my leader have -1 movement hasn't been too bad for me so far up to Season 2...
It gets a lot more annoying with some of the Director's Instruction is later seasons.

Hope you get some Catapult Gloves!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So, turns out that "defeat the last enemy with a finisher" does not always count when you use a weapon finisher. I also failed the "beat 4 enemies in 1 turn" goal because a generic season 2 squirel dodged THREE loving sword swings in a row. You're bustin my balls here game :argh:

"Blackouts" Episode, Season 2 in this case. Also you can't use the send bug report button when the goals complete screen is up. Still totally worth the money I'm im just playing off and on intending to do Rider path this time, but come on maaaaan.

EDIT: vvv Of course it does :sigh: I've nailed finisher requirements with the weapon move before at least, but I've never had the director bug out on me regarding finishers until this mission.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 9, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Section Z posted:

So, turns out that "defeat the last enemy with a finisher" does not always count when you use a weapon finisher

It absolutely does. The Director instructions are just bugged sometimes and fail to register.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jesus, they really need to bump up the recycling rates, or let crafting bonuses chip in at least. I spend half the time playing just reloading to get something worthwhile from recycling dumps (ie. at least 2 things for every item dumped) and reloading for crafted gear to have +atk.

edit: aaand i got the kamen bug stuff. oh well. second game im trying to beat i cant because of waiting for patches.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 9, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

they have patched again. It seems countering is fixed, they fixed some achievements and some Kamen Rider stuff. Here's the patchnotes.

quote:

Features:
- Steam Cloud activated;
- “Choose Difficulty Level” added to Settings screen (Lowest Difficulty used during campaign is considered when giving achievements);
- Updated Difficulty descriptions to better reflect the actual experience;

Gameplay:
- "Interesting" difficulty Damage Multiplier increased from 0.9 to 1.1;
- "Interesting" difficulty Kaiju Damage Multiplier increased from 0.8 to 1.1;
- "Challenging" difficulty Kaiju Damage Multiplier increased from 1 to 1.25;
- Zombie audience value decreased from 75 to 50;
- Techie: Gadget Geek activates only once per turn;
- Driver mode buff won't stack anymore;
- Hard limit on Dodge 95%, hard limit on Critical 100%, hard limit on Counter 100%;
- Mecha Hit Chance keeps dropping even after Combo 8;

Skills:
- Rifle attack range decreased from 7 to 5;

Mecha Items:
We had to rearrange a few skills from the Mecha Items to make the experience smoother for new players. We apologize in advance for the unexpected skill changes in your current Mecha loadout.
- To-Hit chance passive bonuses on Mecha Arm items decreased by 20% across the board;
- "Colored Box of Justice" now provides the "Super Shield" skill from level 2 onwards;
- "Shield Shell" now provides a big passive Defense bonus instead of "Super Shield";
- "True Striker" now provides the "Precision Strike" skill from level 2 onwards;
- "Precise Puncher" now provides a big passive Hit Chance skill instead of "Precision Strike";

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed Techie’s “Multishot” freezing the episode when attacking objects like mines, sprouts and portals;
- Fixed a bug in the Counter attack probability;
- Fixed a bug when counter attacking a counter attack where one of the characters would die in the sequence of attacks. This sometimes freezed the episode;
- Fixed camera crew animation on Dead End map;
- Fixed an issue where some Villain X single-target attacks were not Dodge-able;
- Fixed an issue where Ironing Man`s attacks were not Dodge-able;
- Fixed achievements: "Fully Decked Out", "Can We Afford This?" and "Going Fancy". (These will work retroactively as you open the Upgrade Window);
- Fixed achievements: "With All My Heart" and "Don't Ever Forget". (These will work retroactively as you load a game that completed any episode on Season 5 on the correct story paths;
- Fixed "Fan Favorite"'s description and achievement;
- Fix on Mecha Combo Zoom;
- Fixed helmet sprite on lead being wrong when equipping Crafted Spears;
- Fixed on several Localization issues;

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As somebody who didn't use rifles my first playthrough because I believed them when they said multishot only works with pistols in game, I won't notice the rifle nerf, whoo!

quote:

- Fixed helmet sprite on lead being wrong when equipping Crafted Spears;

This... This would explain why my lead was suddenly wearing the correct helmet again when I switched over to a sword for the final mission :wtc:

EDIT: Oh good, the "Electrical Box" chest, and "Armored Legs" legs remain untouched. So robot immortality is still easily obtainable.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 10, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I'm so glad that they fixed countering. Like the fact it wasn't working was making missions tremendously harder, it's incredible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
With both countering and mecha parts fixed, I think I can finally go back to my sixth ranger save.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, I certainly was worried when I pulled my weapon finisher during the Season 2 finale, and as the cutaway ends and it comes back to the map, the first thing I see is-

DODGE

...Then 600 damage and a victory. But Jesus that half second of "wait, WHAT!?"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Section Z posted:

Well, I certainly was worried when I pulled my weapon finisher during the Season 2 finale, and as the cutaway ends and it comes back to the map, the first thing I see is-

DODGE

...Then 600 damage and a victory. But Jesus that half second of "wait, WHAT!?"

Yeah I've been seeing bad guys dodge a lot more often, especially when counter was broken enemies with 0% dodge were dodging attacks, and a lot of finishers were getting dodged, but it seems that the attack is undodgeable and always inflicts it's damage even when it's technically 'dodged'.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

There's apparently a bug where the game crashes during the final mecha fight, so I can't beat the game now :(

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Grapplejack posted:

There's apparently a bug where the game crashes during the final mecha fight, so I can't beat the game now :(

The same thing just happened o me, and I was having so much fun with it too. :(

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

6 ranger question. Can the finishing move be performed with any of the 5 rangers, or does it have to be the original 5?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

LibbyM posted:

6 ranger question. Can the finishing move be performed with any of the 5 rangers, or does it have to be the original 5?

I've found it to work without the lead, but thinking on it, I've never really tested it with both 6 and the lead in the same group.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It should work with any five, and I don't think you get anything extra with all six.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I finished the game with the Sixth Ranger ending. What are the other two storylines like?

Grapplejack posted:

Yyeeeeeeep. :sigh:

I just watched it on the U-Tub.

Khanstant posted:

Jesus, they really need to bump up the recycling rates, or let crafting bonuses chip in at least. I spend half the time playing just reloading to get something worthwhile from recycling dumps (ie. at least 2 things for every item dumped) and reloading for crafted gear to have +atk.

I think they straight up need to let us pick the bonuses and rebalance their economy for that. Random bonuses and a linear campaign that gives no opportunity to grind for materials is not a good combination. I didn't even bother crafting the final tier of items before the boss battle. Too much fiddling. Just went in with the shop gear.

2% Pistol Rate

2% Pistol Rate

2% Pistol Rate

2% Pistol Rate

2% Pistol Rate

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 2% pistol thing has to be some kind of goddamn glitch because it's ridiculous and everyone I know has gotten it too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The small Patch notes for what I just downloaded say they fixed the tutorial and final boss bugs, so hopefully that turns out.

EDIT: I just finally realized, the bazooka finisher is stronger. My first playthrough it was 9k or so base damage listed, now it says 12k range :swoon:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 11, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's fixed, go beat that game!

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I keep wanting to reset the game because I'm super indecisive on what theme to give my squad.

I think I'm good with finally sticking with the 5 styles of Kung-Fu and giving them the 5 Chinese Elements for colors, but ehhhh.

Game is goddamn amazing gameplay-wise, though. So, I don't mind at all running through those first few missions, since it turns out differently each time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yikes, people were not kidding about Colin's bear on the rider path. Dead in three turns even with using the heal once it got to the main fight, OW. Well, technically four. But 5 HP left with two stacks of "take 50 damage at start of turn" may as well be two turns, on top of the gently caress using his charge to run off so I couldn't go far enough to attack him anyways.

Rider path gave me the Assault to use in this case. Honestly I miss the assault active powers and axe. Also hahaaa, when I tried switching over to HP centric gear the rider power cooldowns are 20+ turns :allears:

Trying to decide what gear would help most. I made it through the previous mission (Gives you a line attack. Makes you fight a bunch of birds that all run off separately and never line up) with a setup of 162 attack, 664 health, 34 Skill regen, 20% crits, 34% dodge, 56% counter. The Assault themself, is May with the +20% counter, -30% enemy dodge/counter stats.

My biggest ally has been cleave skill being super buggy, and sometimes causing extra cleave damage against lone targets. At least it seems your PASSIVE powers still work as a Rider.

EDIT: Looks like the Driver kick shows up on the skill menu. Though while it says cooldown 4, in the actual fights I end up with cooldown 5 (and 6 for Driver mode and the heal).

Marketing Edit: I switched over to Earth Defense Squad, but my health doesn't go any higher (644 before and after) and I don't seem to deal any more damage despite the +5% health and total of +35% damage bonuses activated.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
gonna stream this for awhile over here http://www.twitch.tv/dirtydeedsdone

• Locked thread