Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The only things that are legitimately app exclusive are the Star Trek 2 episode, the live Cocoon 2 episode, and the best movie deaths and best Arnold films minisodes (e: oh, and the Truth or Dare side order of sleaze). Those last two were pretty much the only reason I bought the app so I'm disappointed to say that they're quite underwhelming. Short and no real breakout bits, just basic 80s action movie discussion. Everything else is "free" on bandcamp. I'm not really sure what's up with the bandcamp page, the prices are all too high for mini episodes but they allow them all to be listened to in full.

I think all of the movie commentaries are worth a buck though from Amazon though, it's just the right balance between regular WHM movie discussion, MST-style riffs, and just sort of feeling like you're hanging out and watching a movie with them. But the joke's on me, because now I've seen Sucker Punch too.

Ror fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sucker Punch is legitimately a great movie though.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I listened to the Ghostbusters 2 episode during a long drive today and I think it might be the best episode they've ever done. A very thorough and honest analysis on why the whole film just doesn't work despite the amount of talent involved, plus I nearly drove off the road from laughter when they started analysing whether the slime was capable of consent.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Adrianics posted:

I listened to the Ghostbusters 2 episode during a long drive today and I think it might be the best episode they've ever done. A very thorough and honest analysis on why the whole film just doesn't work despite the amount of talent involved, plus I nearly drove off the road from laughter when they started analysing whether the slime was capable of consent.

BUT IT'S THE GHOSTBUSTERS!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
When I first played the Ghostbusters video game it made me realize two things I never had before: Peter Venkmann is a huge prick, and Ernie Hudson and by extension, Winston Zeddimore is amazing. I am glad that WHM agrees with me on this.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

When I first played the Ghostbusters video game it made me realize two things I never had before: Peter Venkmann is a huge prick, and Ernie Hudson and by extension, Winston Zeddimore is amazing. I am glad that WHM agrees with me on this.
At least in the first movie, it's also worth noting that the one most enthusiastic and most committed to Ghost Busting - Ray - is also hands-down the worst at it, while the one who couldn't give a poo poo and just wants to bang ladies - Venkman - is the most effective Ghost Buster.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Winston and Egon were neck and neck for the best ghostbusters, but Winston wins just because he wasn't loving the slime.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TetsuoTW posted:

At least in the first movie, it's also worth noting that the one most enthusiastic and most committed to Ghost Busting - Ray - is also hands-down the worst at it, while the one who couldn't give a poo poo and just wants to bang ladies - Venkman - is the most effective Ghost Buster.

Ray just wanted to bang the ghosts or have the ghosts bang him.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bobkatt013 posted:

Ray just wanted to bang the ghosts or have the ghosts bang him.

The blowjob scene might be the most dissected scene in movie podcast history.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

Sucker Punch is legitimately a great movie though.

The Flophouse bashing Sucker Punch is second only to them completely missing the satire in Robocop 2014 in terms of sheer consternation at how a show run by writers for The Daily Show can be so bad at recognizing politics in movies.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I recognize exactly what Snyder was doing in Sucker Punch. It was still a real bad movie though. Like woooah.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

TetsuoTW posted:

I recognize exactly what Snyder was doing in Sucker Punch. It was still a real bad movie though. Like woooah.

This, basically. I like Snyder generally, and I appreciate what he was trying to do, but the end result is still something that's muddled to the point where he undercuts his own message.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just started listening to this, and for anyone on the fence my suggestion is to start with the Timecop one. :laffo:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I think Foodfight was the first episode I heard. It might have been Catwoman? Either way, both solid episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rock n Roll High School Forever is great, especially their continuing hatred of Mojo Nixon.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I started with Mortal Kombat (I always do), but it was Mrs. Doubtfire that sold me on it.

Edit: and I listened to Spawn recently and their impression of John Leguizamo is the same as their impression of Harvey Fierstein :lol:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

precision posted:

Rock n Roll High School Forever is great, especially their continuing hatred of Mojo Nixon.

Wait what? They covered this movie ? I need to dig through the archives and find it. That's one of my most hated movies.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey, WHM snagged an interview with Gilbert Gottfried.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I love their action/adventure movie reviews, I find it allows them the freedom to go on some of their best tangents and to find the most absurd elements of the "plot".

Mortal Kombat, Deep Blue Sea, Gymkata, Under Seige 2, and Hard Target have all been worth many listens.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

He was really good. I loved the fact that like half the episode was them making jokes about The Twilight Zone.

Listening to him talk about bad movies makes me sad a little sad that USA Up All Night was a little before my time so I never got to see him hosting.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

This was fantastic, and reminds me that I really should be listening to Gottfreid's podcast

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

He was really good. I loved the fact that like half the episode was them making jokes about The Twilight Zone.

Listening to him talk about bad movies makes me sad a little sad that USA Up All Night was a little before my time so I never got to see him hosting.

Like part of me wishes that for stuff like this he would just drop the voice, because it was largely a regular conversation where they just chatted poo poo. But I do like them just gabbing about The Twilight Zone, but I wish they talked about Fairlane a bit more.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

That was a fun interview. I love Gilbert, but I've definitely seen and heard him sleepwalk his way through a lot of appearances. He seemed to have a blast with the boys, though.

Andrew Jupin looks like Ricky from Trailer Park Boys in that picture. Like, I thought it was actually Robb Wells when I first saw it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man Gottfried's fake normal voice sounds weird as hell

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

DangerDummy! posted:

That was a fun interview. I love Gilbert, but I've definitely seen and heard him sleepwalk his way through a lot of appearances. He seemed to have a blast with the boys, though.

Andrew Jupin looks like Ricky from Trailer Park Boys in that picture. Like, I thought it was actually Robb Wells when I first saw it.

I can't even say how bad I want Gilbert to do an episode with the guys and laugh uproariously whenever some ridiculous plot point is mentioned.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Anybody else happy with not knowing what the WHM dudes look like and wanting to just think of them as floating disembodied voices?

Bolek
May 1, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

Anybody else happy with not knowing what the WHM dudes look like and wanting to just think of them as floating disembodied voices?

I've listened to many a podcast and a radio show and the only dudes I'm glad I've seen have been the UYD fellas.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

cheerfullydrab posted:

Well, we already knew that Andrew looked like that motherfucker from The Hangover, and that Eric looked exactly like Chris Hemsworth.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Is there any software or website I can use to be informed of when new episodes come out (I listen to a few). iTunes is not cutting it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The software is called a calendar. New episodes come out every Tuesday.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

ravenkult posted:

Is there any software or website I can use to be informed of when new episodes come out (I listen to a few). iTunes is not cutting it.

Their Facebook page?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Firstborn posted:

The software is called a calendar. New episodes come out every Tuesday.

You don't say. :bravo:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ravenkult posted:

Rss maybe?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

In case anyone wondered, this is the Gottfried video with the impressions they mention early on. HIs James Mason and Richard Burton are actually really good (The only other person I've seen do Mason well is Bill Hader).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRyEAz41-14

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

precision posted:

The thing that got me to swear off How Did This Get Made is the awful commercials. Paul Scheer makes every product that sponsors them sound creepy and horrible, I have no idea why he's so bad at it. I know I can just skip the commercials (like I skip the equally awful theme song) but that requires input rather than just "leave it on and listen".

Its because he's not funny

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I'm kinda curious what big development they were referring to on their Twitter feed. Whatever it is, I hope they don't stop podcasting

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I'm kinda curious what big development they were referring to on their Twitter feed. Whatever it is, I hope they don't stop podcasting

They claim the announcement to be "super cool" and that would be the opposite of super cool, so I think we're in the clear

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

My first assumption would be announcing a tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jim Belushi is joining as a new host.