Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

JnnyThndrs posted:

Laptop GPU driver updates are a gigantic PITA anyway, regardless of whether or not it's Apple or AMD or Sony or whoever, since you (usually) can't just grab the newest {insert new hot game here}OPTIMISED DRIVER from the GPU manufacturer and start playing.

I don't know if some of the hi-end specific -GAMING- desktop-replacement portable machines can be updated quickly/easily, but I've always had to fight to get anything approaching a new GPU driver on mid/low range laptops.

You can grab updates from Nvidia no problem with their mobile cards? At least you could for the 750m and 860m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It depends on the vendor and laptop model. Some work, some don't.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

beejay posted:

In what way is a 7850 the #2 card in the AMD lineup

I guess that he is referring to the fact that the recently announced AMD R9 370 is a 7850 refresh. That technically makes it the second highest ranking AMD card in its product lineup when sorted by name.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I guess, if we are going to pretend an OEM lineup "refresh" means anything.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

So, just as likely as it's amd screwing up, it's apple being the gigantic bitch they are.

Could be that, but the latest driver available is direct from AMD themselves. No idea if they made it, or relied on Apple to make it.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Truga posted:

It depends on the vendor and laptop model. Some work, some don't.
Yup. Lots of laptop vendors lock you out of installing updated drivers and will only let you use the ones from their support page, which are usually years out of date, instead of the latest ones. Doesn't matter if the hardware you're trying to update is AMD, NV, Intel, Broadcom, etc.

Occasionally its due to real compatibility issue but I strongly suspect its because they just don't want to bother doing anything more than the minimum support possible and locking out installing newer drivers simplifies things for them.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Leshy posted:

I guess that he is referring to the fact that the recently announced AMD R9 370 is a 7850 refresh. That technically makes it the second highest ranking AMD card in its product lineup when sorted by name.

It's this.

beejay posted:

I guess, if we are going to pretend an OEM lineup "refresh" means anything.

It's the #2 product announced in AMD's new R300 lineup, correct?

It would have made a lot more sense to announce the flagship products before announcing the newly-polished OEM turds. They'd still be dumping their stockpile of hardware, whether it says 7850 or R9 270 or R9 370 on the box. I'm not the one who sets their product announcement schedule - I think the R300 line is months overdue at this point. But leading with the announcement of the OEM lineup has awful optics when it's the same product you've been hawking for 3 years.

JnnyThndrs posted:

Laptop GPU driver updates are a gigantic PITA anyway, regardless of whether or not it's Apple or AMD or Sony or whoever, since you (usually) can't just grab the newest {insert new hot game here}OPTIMISED DRIVER from the GPU manufacturer and start playing.

I don't know if some of the hi-end specific -GAMING- desktop-replacement portable machines can be updated quickly/easily, but I've always had to fight to get anything approaching a new GPU driver on mid/low range laptops.

I've never had a single issue with this, ranging across both Intel and AMD integrated graphics as well as a (low-end) discrete NVIDIA card.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 10, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yup. Lots of laptop vendors lock you out of installing updated drivers and will only let you use the ones from their support page, which are usually years out of date, instead of the latest ones. Doesn't matter if the hardware you're trying to update is AMD, NV, Intel, Broadcom, etc.

Sure, back in the 2000s the GPU vendors were dicks about it and though the drivers would actually work they wouldn't install on mobile GPUs unless you modified the installer to remove the restrictions.

Haven't encountered that in a long time though. I forget when nVidia removed that stupid restriction, I think AMD did it when they bought ATI. The last time I had to modify a driver was for my Radeon 9600M in college. The "Omega" modded drivers were pretty popular among those I knew with ATI graphics in laptops.

Unless the laptop manufacturer has gone our of their way to actually modify the PCI ID of the GPU, which I'm not even sure they can do, the normal driver will work on anything remotely modern.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Oh, and the inclusion of the 7850 in the R300 lineup is a direct contradiction of Richard Huddy's statement that "All future AMD products will support FreeSync". It was really widely expected that such a dinosaur was going to be dropped, especially since it's competing with much more efficient Maxwells nowadays. It really has no place in the lineup in 2015.

Some rumors were that AMD wasn't going to do rebrands at all, and have the R300 series be entirely new products. That's how NVIDIA did their launch - if you buy a 900 series card you're not getting a Kepler turd (with a single exception at the bottom of their mobile lineup). AMD's lineup spans a full 4 generations of hardware - GCN 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and HBM products. There is value to having your card generations clearly delineated by performance and capabilities, and if OEMs still want to buy those chips it really shouldn't matter what label you slap on them.

But now I'm kinda wondering how they're going to squeeze in a 290X rebrand. The 285 became the 380, so is the 290X going to be the 385 or something?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 10, 2015

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

It would have made a lot more sense to announce the flagship products before announcing the newly-polished OEM turds.
Wasn't the HD8xxx OEM series announced before the Rx 2xx series as well? If it goes the same way, no one will ever be using the R9 3xx nomenclature either and we're skipping straight to the Rx 4xx series.

Someone at the AMD naming division is smoking some really good crack. This is a quick overview of which cards are actually which cards, if I got things right:

Leshy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 10, 2015

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

It would have made a lot more sense to announce the flagship products before announcing the newly-polished OEM turds. They'd still be dumping their stockpile of hardware, whether it says 7850 or R9 270 or R9 370 on the box. I'm not the one who sets their product announcement schedule - I think the R300 line is months overdue at this point. But leading with the announcement of the OEM lineup has awful optics when it's the same product you've been hawking for 3 years.

Everyone loves to pretend like this is true, or matters, but the only thing that matters is how cards work when they are released. If they release a great card, no matter what it is called, it will sell well. The people that know what is what will know what cards are good. The people that don't know, will either buy something dumb, which is unfortunate but has been happening with both companies for years and years, or they will be told what to buy by a friend or forum that does know. OEM desktops containing an R9 370 whatever will exist and it won't affect jack, any more than any other OEM card has ever mattered. People always love to say "oh this is going to cause so much trouble" but again, it never does.

beejay fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 10, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Wow, so I misunderstood how that works. I thought "OEM drive" meant "drive AIMED at OEMs", but they actually release totally different hardware under the same model number with different specs. So it's entirely possible that the 380 is actually a 290 while they also release the 285 as a "380" and sell that version to HP or whatnot.

That's a terribly confusing system, but I guess the only people getting hosed are those buying pre-built systems. Or the people buying used hardware I guess.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, I posted this over in the AMD thread, but I thought it might be of interest over here, too.

If you haven't already, you should listen to Scott Wasson (techreport.com) and David Kanter (realworldtech.com) talk AMD. The front end is predominantly CPU, it then branches into HBM, and then GPUs. I was very happy to hear these two pick eachother's brains.

I've queued the link to where HBM discussion starts, the rest after that is GPU, except where they do Q&A at the end: https://youtu.be/9RA6t3Mx0ms?t=46m30s

Though if you're interested in their analysis of the CPU side, that's good to listen to as well.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, I posted this over in the AMD thread, but I thought it might be of interest over here, too.

If you haven't already, you should listen to Scott Wasson (techreport.com) and David Kanter (realworldtech.com) talk AMD. The front end is predominantly CPU, it then branches into HBM, and then GPUs. I was very happy to hear these two pick eachother's brains.

I've queued the link to where HBM discussion starts, the rest after that is GPU, except where they do Q&A at the end: https://youtu.be/9RA6t3Mx0ms?t=46m30s

Though if you're interested in their analysis of the CPU side, that's good to listen to as well.

I would be interested to know what they were thinking with most of their last few generations of CPUs, since they were essentially energy burning toasters with worse efficiency than the competition, yet a lot of people with huge Texas belt buckles really love them anyway. But that's an Intel vs AMD war for another topic.

Off topic, I would also like to know if you ever check your PMs.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Did Nvidia move or remove the dynamic super resolution option from the geforce experience app? I can't find it anywhere anymore, and all my games that were running in DSR have now switched back.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's no reason to use GFE for that, you can enable it globally in the regular NV control panel.

Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > DSR - Factors

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

repiv posted:

There's no reason to use GFE for that, you can enable it globally in the regular NV control panel.

Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > DSR - Factors

Yeah but GFE let me set it on a per game basis. I don't want to set it globally because while I can run - for example - Hearthstone at 2x res, I can't run GTAV etc at it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Why not set it globally? DSR does nothing unless you actually set the game to run at one of the virtual resolutions.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

repiv posted:

Why not set it globally? DSR does nothing unless you actually set the game to run at one of the virtual resolutions.

Oh right. So if I enable it globally it will just make the DSR resolutions available in all games options, but won't force it?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yep.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Gotcha. Thanks mate.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Wow, so I misunderstood how that works. I thought "OEM drive" meant "drive AIMED at OEMs", but they actually release totally different hardware under the same model number with different specs.
Unless you have a source that says otherwise, that should not be the case.

What does happen, is that for example the 7790 was rebranded to the 8770 for OEMs and refreshed to the R7 260X for consumers. So basically the same chip being sold under different names, with varying clocks and memory amounts.

There should be no instances of different parts being sold under the same name, however. One exception happened with nVidia, who had at one point three versions of I think the GTX 260 out which were actually based on different chips with varying performances.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Leshy posted:

There should be no instances of different parts being sold under the same name, however. One exception happened with nVidia, who had at one point three versions of I think the GTX 260 out which were actually based on different chips with varying performances.

There are 2 different Geforce 620, 4 different Geforce 630, and 5 different Geforce 640..

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Oh right. So if I enable it globally it will just make the DSR resolutions available in all games options, but won't force it?

If you enable it globally, your video card just tells windows that your monitor can do higher resolutions. You can even use DSR on your desktop if you want.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

But since those are the kind of cards you put in your grandmother's PC so she can watch 'video discs' without it stuttering on her circa PCIe 1.0 PC, no one really cares.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The OEM 760 is a crippled 760 with a 192 bit bus.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

Oh dear, so it happens a bit more often than I had thought – but indeed mostly in the very low-budget range where the performance differences are probably quite negligble and not all that relevant to begin with. Probably because where it's the remainder of chip production ends up, I guess.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The 460 also had a variant with the same name but with a crippled memory bus. I think I preferred when cards all had XT, Pro, etc. after the names, although even then XT for instance meant very different things depending on the GPU vendor.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Leshy posted:

Unless you have a source that says otherwise, that should not be the case.

What does happen, is that for example the 7790 was rebranded to the 8770 for OEMs and refreshed to the R7 260X for consumers. So basically the same chip being sold under different names, with varying clocks and memory amounts.

It seems to happen a lot.

R7 265 (Pitcairn) vs 265 OEM (Curacao)

6570 (Turks) vs 6570 OEM (Cape Verde)

GTX 760 (GK104 256-bit) vs GTX 760 OEM (GK104 192-bit)

GTX 660 (GK106) vs GTX 660 OEM (GK104)

It's not the flagship cards, but they don't release those as OEM units anyway. Of the cards that get released as OEM they don't seem to have any hangups about releasing different chips under the same name.

But yeah, I guess people who are buying pre-built computers probably don't notice/care.

To tie this back - I think it's entirely possible that the 380 is still a 290X even if there is a 380 OEM that's a 285. That's AMD's classic rebranding move, they add a new architecture in the flagship position and push everything else down a spot.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 10, 2015

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

It seems to happen a lot.
In the first case, it is the same chip. Curacao is Pitcairn's identical twin, and replaced it. The original HD7850 is Pitcairn Pro, the R7 265 and R9 370 refreshes are Curacao Pro.

The second case is pretty odd. Wikipedia lists the 6570 OEM as a Turks Pro card, actually released to OEMs a few weeks prior to the launch of the actual 6570 retail version. If TechPowerup is correct, the HD 7730 would have been rebranded as the already-existing 6570 OEM a month after its release, two years later. While there were already HD7xxx OEM cards out. I'm guessing that that listing on TechPowerup is wrong.

Can't really comment on the nVidia cases, they seem to have actually done it a few times before. At any rate, as said before, after the HD7xxx series, AMD launched a HD8xxx line of only OEM cards and went to the R9 2xx series for its retail product line. I'm guessing that they are doing something similar this time: the R9 3xx being a line of OEM-only refreshes, and announcing a line of R9 4xx retail products later which are the actual new chips and high-end refreshes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to increase the power limit for an MSI 970 in MSI afterburner without resorting to a custom bios?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

wolrah posted:

Sure, back in the 2000s the GPU vendors were dicks about it and though the drivers would actually work they wouldn't install on mobile GPUs unless you modified the installer to remove the restrictions.

Haven't encountered that in a long time though.
I have a Acer laptop that is only a couple of years old that won't let me install anything but the approved drivers. AMD removed their restrictions but laptop manufacturers can add their own if they want. Getting drivers modified to get around this isn't too hard. Guru3D has them but drivers for other stuff like WiFi cards or SD card readers are a lot harder or impossible to work around.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Party Plane Jones posted:

Is there a way to increase the power limit for an MSI 970 in MSI afterburner without resorting to a custom bios?

If you've maxed it in Afterburner to +12% or whatever, then going higher requires a custom bios.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I have a Acer laptop that is only a couple of years old that won't let me install anything but the approved drivers. AMD removed their restrictions but laptop manufacturers can add their own if they want. Getting drivers modified to get around this isn't too hard. Guru3D has them but drivers for other stuff like WiFi cards or SD card readers are a lot harder or impossible to work around.

What happens when you try to install the official drivers? Does it refuse to work even on a fresh install, or have you only tested after the "official" OEM-provided driver was installed and had a chance to mess with things? Is it one of these screwball OEM GPUs mentioned in recent posts where the same product name could mean two or more entirely different chips? If you happen to be near it mind posting the PCI ID? (Device Manager > Properties > Details > Hardware IDs, the VEN and DEV codes)

And yea, some other devices are a bitch but I've never had the problem be normal drivers not working, instead the problem is lovely part vendors that don't actually offer a driver themselves and force you to go through the OEM to get them. Broadcom WiFi and non-chipset USB3 are the two I have the most trouble with, most card readers these days seem to have done it right and just appear as yet another USB Mass Storage device requiring no special drivers.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
You get a pop up message mid way through the driver install saying something along the lines of, 'this software is not supported on your system blah blah' and then install cancels itself. Unless you use the hacked drivers which work just fine.

Happens even if you do a fresh install with the provided back up version of windows that came with the laptop.

If, however, you use a OEM windows install disk then you can install more recent drivers without hacks or any issues. Some things however won't work, like the keyboard hotkeys and drivers or software that works with it is non-existent from anyone but Acer which also doesn't want to work on OEM installs. Which wouldn't be a big deal in of itself but that laptop uses hotkeys to turn the WiFi hardware switch on and off. And it defaults to off with no way to switch it back on if you don't use the provided version of windows. So no WiFi otherwise. Also you can't switch out the original WiFi card for a more modern one from Intel or even the same manufacturer either. If you try that the WiFi hardware switch defaults to off so even if the drivers install, and sometimes it won't let you, you still can't use the WiFi. Pressing the necessary hotkeys (Fn + F3) does nothing.

Some other weird quirks with the SD card read which is why I mentioned it. Its very flaky recognizing any of the newer larger sized SD and SD micro card for some reason. Using a USB card reader works fine though.

Its a AMD APU, the GPU and chipset software is all from one company, no add in card or renaming shenanigans going on. Its not a AMD issue per se either. I had a older AMD laptop (CPU and GPU) that didn't have this problem at all. Acer just decided to be dicks is all.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 11, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Sounds like there's some kind of program in that Acer-bastardized OS image that's watching for the AMD installer. Note to self, never buy an Acer with an APU.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In my case, (probably) sony decided to change the device ID on the nvidia. I think it was a 330M (p. old thing now I guess). Installed windows 8.1 off my usb, try to install nvidia driver, the driver goes "no supported hardware detected" or somesuch, doesn't want to install. I check pci database, and sure enough, the vendor id is nvidia, the device id is bogus.

The fix for it is easy, but if you don't know what to do, your options are downloading a fix off a random forum post or a "modified driver" off a shady 3rd party site, which is both hilarious and dumb as hell. I can't imagine in what world this would get you less support requests, but Japanese are weird.

The even weirder thing is, the linux nvidia blob worked just fine out of the box, so nvidia was obviously aware of this being a thing and supported, and was probably told by sony not to support it on windows? :confused:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Laptop builders like doing dumb poo poo like that. 'Hurr I'm HP and I made a whitelist for wifi cards. Good luck ever replacing that low-end Broadcom card.'
To be fair though it's not like anyone expects an HP laptop to last long enough to warrant replacement.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've been trucking along on a second hand GTX 460 for several years now. It's served me very well but it seems to finally be starting to struggle with dragon age 3.
I noticed the free Witcher 3 with some GeForce cards and so I was looking at picking up a GTX 960. For info, I'm running double monitor, nothing higher than 1080 though and I don't plan on upgrading them anytime soon.
Should I shoot for a 4GB or stick with a 2GB model? I'm reading the bottleneck in the card is the bus so the 4GB bump more than likely won't be fully utilized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

couldcareless posted:

I've been trucking along on a second hand GTX 460 for several years now. It's served me very well but it seems to finally be starting to struggle with dragon age 3.
I noticed the free Witcher 3 with some GeForce cards and so I was looking at picking up a GTX 960. For info, I'm running double monitor, nothing higher than 1080 though and I don't plan on upgrading them anytime soon.
Should I shoot for a 4GB or stick with a 2GB model? I'm reading the bottleneck in the card is the bus so the 4GB bump more than likely won't be fully utilized.

Don't waste money on 4gb variants of the 960. If you can afford to spend more than the cost of a 2gb 960, you should get a 970; otherwise look to AMD cards for something priced in between.