Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Why not wire a security system into it instead of a horn? Those can be triggered remotely and are pretty loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
This is the loving dumbest question but how do I get to my list of passive Bionics? Everything I've tried with the window up just closes it.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Million Ghosts posted:

This is the loving dumbest question but how do I get to my list of passive Bionics? Everything I've tried with the window up just closes it.

I was wondering the same thing.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Hit p then ! to switch to examine them.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Xand_Man posted:

Hit p then ! to switch to examine them.

And after that, you hit tab instead of > or num 6.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
So this one menu works totally differently than all the others just because. Oh DDA.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
This loving game. What the hell has happened to this game? I played and enjoyed the hell out of Cataclysm during the Whales days. Now the game looks like it's infinitely deeper, but I feel completely lost, because I have no idea what I'm doing. I know how to generally survive zombie encounters, but I guess now there's a real weather system and I'm getting frostbitten even though I've got an Army Winter Jacket on and sweats, and I don't know really what to do next.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Which bits of you are getting frostbitten? Are you wearing a balaclava and several pairs of gloves, plus all the socks you can steal?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Frostbite is a bugger but it's never been an especially major issue for me, but if you want to put it off for a bit my advice is start in Summer. By the time the colder seasons come round you should have enough tailoring skill and scavenged clothes to stave off the cold, enough combat skill to offset the encumbrance and hopefully enough stockpiled resources to hole up if you need to.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Inadequately posted:

Frostbite is a bugger but it's never been an especially major issue for me, but if you want to put it off for a bit my advice is start in Summer. By the time the colder seasons come round you should have enough tailoring skill and scavenged clothes to stave off the cold, enough combat skill to offset the encumbrance and hopefully enough stockpiled resources to hole up if you need to.

I had the idea to start in summer when I was a little bit newer at this, and found the rotten food was a problem. These days, it probably wouldn't be for me, but I haven't tried since. For spring/winter, making long underwear tops and bottoms is pretty easy. If you sew your already repaired clothing until it fits and then is reinforced, plus try to repair the clothes off the bodies of 3-4 zombies, you should have enough tailoring (at INT 8) to make them. Glove liners (hand wraps when you're broke) under any gloves will be warm enough, and the aforementioned balaclava to top it off. Pretty much any clothes you wear over that will be fine. Go for storage.

It takes forever to really suffer from the elements. The initial warning messages are scary but not really indicative of a problem. Also, there don't appear to be any permanent consequences from frostbite, after you get warm again. An all-day fire may be in order for that to happen, though.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
If you can find a blanket you can just huddle in it for 20-30 turns after you've been chilly for a while. Seemed to work alright for me when it was snowing outside.

Or just snuggle random people's leftover blankets as you raid their houses if you don't have storage yet.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 8, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
If you're a mutant you can wear hand and foot-wraps of both leather and regular variety as well.

Generally so long as you're rockin' a coat or whatever the cold won't kill you, if the games telling you you'll be frostbitten in a few hours than you'll only need to worry if you decide to spend hours outdoors for whatever reason.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This game needs some semi noticeable indicator that differentiates between tiles that are visible to you (i.e due to night vision etc) vs. tiles that are illuminated.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This game needs some semi noticeable indicator that differentiates between tiles that are visible to you (i.e due to night vision etc) vs. tiles that are illuminated.

Why the gently caress can't I read the loving book god dammit you loving peice of shi- oh its a thunder storm. oh. OK gently caress! FINE!!

Yeah, I agree, needs like, I dunno, an overlay over dark tiles or something.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Where can I find bicycle wheels? Apparently it's impossible to just make them myself.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Where can I find bicycle wheels? Apparently it's impossible to just make them myself.

Testing seems to indicate the only real way to get those is either to search garages or, you know, look for bicycles.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I find them on the side of the road all the time. Not as often as I find Mufflers or Truck Alternators, but still fairly often.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OwlFancier posted:

Seriously if you don't occasionally play a character who wanders around wearing a fursuit, a bra, a pair of army boots, and a cravat, wields a nail bat and is constantly off his tits on meth then I don't know what your idea of fun is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVX8wm_CONM

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So what is the state of the game? Last time I played was when the kickstarter first started and it was just an open world to futz around in. Are there some end game things to do now?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I really wish that there was a way to bind a hotkey to unholster a specific weapon, or to cycle through holstered weapons. It would be nice to have an actual convenience benefit to having a weapon that is holstered, because at the moment the only reason to have it is to trade some extra volume for increased encumberance. in fact, holstering a weapon is even more annoying since if I want to holster/unholster, I have to select and activate the holster to unholster whatever it is I want.

I'm also debating wether it would be nice to have backpacks and other containers work like holsters as they do now; instead of having a ton of stuff in my inventory, I could add them to specific containers and then to access them I open them up. It would make it easier to just drop a backpack or two to prepare for melee and help organise my inventory a little better, but it would probably add a lot more faff to inventory management.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

WarpedLichen posted:

So what is the state of the game? Last time I played was when the kickstarter first started and it was just an open world to futz around in. Are there some end game things to do now?

No.

But the game is better at doing everything it used to do previously otherwise.

I mean, there is a lot more variety of useful gear and interesting crafts and there are generally more ways to become a super powerful post apocalyptic rear end kicker but once you've started kicking rear end the game still doesn't offer anything that could stop you and make things interesting.

Edit: so turns out that the A7 rifle kicks a lot of rear end and uses only 1 charge from an advanced UPS? so that's 2500 shots for 5 plutonium cells, each shot enough to destroy a milspec turret? That's pretty nice, I mean the fusion rifle has more of a bang to it but it starts fires and requires a fusion pack so I think the laser rifle might be a bit more useful?

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 9, 2015

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Lol I don't know when they were put in, but now musical instruments are in. I now have a saxophone that you character can play constantly as long as you wear it. My character now spends their days tootling down zombie-filled streets, killing zombies to some smooth jazz.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PiCroft posted:

I really wish that there was a way to bind a hotkey to unholster a specific weapon, or to cycle through holstered weapons. It would be nice to have an actual convenience benefit to having a weapon that is holstered, because at the moment the only reason to have it is to trade some extra volume for increased encumberance. in fact, holstering a weapon is even more annoying since if I want to holster/unholster, I have to select and activate the holster to unholster whatever it is I want.

I believe holsters give you a faster draw speed for the weapon depending on your skill.

And you can hit A, then the key for the holster to draw the weapon, it's not quite a hotkey but I find tapping a,v to draw my pistol fairly easy.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Jumped out of my decked-out APC to investigate a glowing portal, found nothing particularly interesting. Several turns later, driving at max speed down the highway, I teleported out of the driver's seat and directly into its path. RIP that character.

Oh well, time to give the mutant start a shot.

E: started in the woods right next to a mansion, with a LMOE and farm within walking distance. Mansions are seriously so good to loot, a pittance of bog-standard zombies to clear out for a wealth of treasure.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 9, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I believe holsters give you a faster draw speed for the weapon depending on your skill.

And you can hit A, then the key for the holster to draw the weapon, it's not quite a hotkey but I find tapping a,v to draw my pistol fairly easy.

They also seem to let you reflexively draw down under certain circumstances. My Robocop had her pneumatic assault rifle yoinked out of her hands by a zombie technician, and she immediately pulled her sidearm before it was even her turn.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

They also seem to let you reflexively draw down under certain circumstances. My Robocop had her pneumatic assault rifle yoinked out of her hands by a zombie technician, and she immediately pulled her sidearm before it was even her turn.

If you try to 'F' without a ranged weapon but have one in a holster you will immediately draw it.
(Only seems to work for actual Holsters not ankle holsters etc last time I tried it)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Is there some way to make the window size larger? I don't remember it being *that* small.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Leif. posted:

Is there some way to make the window size larger? I don't remember it being *that* small.

Options -> Graphics -> terminal width/height.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Great. Also, is there a way to see what time it is in-game?

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Leif. posted:

Great. Also, is there a way to see what time it is in-game?

Get a watch or cellphone or something else that has a clock-type attribute about it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There is an indicator on your hud (right below the weather indicator iirc) showing the position of the sun/moon (if the weather is clear) in the sky, you'll have to rely on that until you can find a watch, once you're carrying a watch (or a chronometer CBM) you'll be able to tell the exact time.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Alarm Clocks also work for telling time and are really common. Don't ask how it works without batteries.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
After loving about for a bit in the overworld I noticed my laser rifle was gone, I spent a couple of ingame days trying to retrace my steps and figure out where I dropped it when I was boiling some toilet water and drinking it from my canteen when the message 'You eat your plastic canteen' showed up and I realized I probably ate my pimped out laser rifle, so now I'm lab exploring trying to find another one, worst case scenario I guess I'll use the fusion rifle despite it setting everything on fire all the time.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
There's a reason internal furnace is toggleable.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

So can you literally just "eat" absolutely anything with that CBM? Because I know a huge lag-inducing pile of damaged steel chunks that would make a great late-night snack once I'm done churning out spikes to cover my copmobile in spiked plating. It'd be nice to be able to just eat empty cans and bottles instead of chucking them outside or making GBS threads up my crafting area with them, too.

What happens if you install multiples of a power source CBM? Can I install a second metabolic interchange to speed the process up, or totally coat my character in solar panels to give her faster solar energy generation?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

So can you literally just "eat" absolutely anything with that CBM? Because I know a huge lag-inducing pile of damaged steel chunks that would make a great late-night snack once I'm done churning out spikes to cover my copmobile in spiked plating. It'd be nice to be able to just eat empty cans and bottles instead of chucking them outside or making GBS threads up my crafting area with them, too.

What happens if you install multiples of a power source CBM? Can I install a second metabolic interchange to speed the process up, or totally coat my character in solar panels to give her faster solar energy generation?

AFAIK the only CMB that can be upgraded is the battery one. Everything else is a one-off.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I found an electric bicycle with a basket near the gunshop I am busily raiding, as well as a small electric motor conveniently near my shelter. Does the bike require batteries or can I just pedal it normally? I want to use it to loot the poo poo out of this town, and bring back some equipment that I can presumably hook the small electric motor up to.

-e- I guess it needs batteries. I have some, how do I refill it? I guess it worked without having an actual battery, just an alternator.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 11, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Only things that could theoretically be burned for energy. Plastic, wood/paper and cloth are all fine, metal is not. You can drink a bottle of gasoline for a big energy surge.

One way to destroy the pile of metal would be to chuck an (activated) acid bomb at it. Acid destroys everything.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Leif. posted:

-e- I guess it needs batteries. I have some, how do I refill it?

Examine the vehicle, then move the view to where the storage battery is. You will have the option to re'f'ill the battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The Lone Badger posted:

Only things that could theoretically be burned for energy. Plastic, wood/paper and cloth are all fine, metal is not. You can drink a bottle of gasoline for a big energy surge.

One way to destroy the pile of metal would be to chuck an (activated) acid bomb at it. Acid destroys everything.
Pff, turn it into...I don't know, steel platings. Or whatever the most volume/weight efficient form of metal is, I'm not really sure.