Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nelson Mandingo posted:

There has always been an underground city. It's there to evacuate the populace. People fled down there after the false breach. The people that live there are extremely poor, it's a slum.

Yeah, I remember now. In my defense, I dont think it was ever mentioned since the wall fell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Isayama's human faces sometimes really look like titan faces. I don't know if it's on purpose or not. Gettin a real Chuckles vibe from that middle one.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Soulcleaver posted:

Isayama's human faces sometimes really look like titan faces. I don't know if it's on purpose or not.
It's probably just a style thing that Isayama's developed. A lot of Titan faces have normal human expressions that are distorted just enough to look terrifying.

That said, Kenny's batshit slasher smile fits his character perfectly.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Goddammit.

And now, Kenny's dead. And his entire squad wiped out off-screen.

I'm kinda disappointed.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Her first official act is to assault one of her citizens? What a terrible monarch.

They should have a revolution :911:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

AradoBalanga posted:

It's probably just a style thing that Isayama's developed. A lot of Titan faces have normal human expressions that are distorted just enough to look terrifying.

That said, Kenny's batshit slasher smile fits his character perfectly.

I like Guts' creepy smile in Berserk. Smiling with too much gum is scary.

Also, what does he mean when he says he wants to "stuff his head with poo poo?" Is that some sort of metaphor, or does he really want to avenge generations of his family being hunted by the secret police and being forced to live in the underground ghettoes as thieves and whores by putting feces into the King's mouth?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 7, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If it didn't start on the exact same frame as the last one ended I'd have thought I missed an issue. It took me ten pages to even realize who was narrating the flashback. I have no idea why kenny is dying under a tree because he pissed off hale and hearty the last time we saw him before the titan happened

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Krinkle posted:

If it didn't start on the exact same frame as the last one ended I'd have thought I missed an issue. It took me ten pages to even realize who was narrating the flashback. I have no idea why kenny is dying under a tree because he pissed off hale and hearty the last time we saw him before the titan happened

I think he was blown out of the cave and into the tree by the transformation explosion, which would also explain the burns.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Torquemadras posted:

Goddammit.

And now, Kenny's dead. And his entire squad wiped out off-screen.

I'm kinda disappointed.

Me too, Kenny was my favorite character, even more so after this chapter

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh my god.

They killed Kenny.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh my god.

They killed Kenny.

:golfclap:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh my god.

They killed Kenny.

YOUUU BASTARDS

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Very well done.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I like how the ending to the chapter is really hopeful and all but Uri's prophecy that "This world is ending soon." and "Only a few humans will survive" casts a dark shadow on the rest of the series. The only thing I could think of besides some impending calamity is the walls are going to be tumbling down.

If we don't get a Seven Days of Fire-style walk of Colossals erupting from the walls like in Nausicaa or the Hyperlight Drifter trailer by the end of this series, I will be sorely disappointed

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh my god.

They killed Kenny.

the first time in at least a decade where this joke has actually been funny

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I hope AoT continues having chapters like these last two. We got a nice battle and flashback without needless cliffhangers, and we got 2 endings meaningful towards the main story.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Something terrible is about to happen, I'm sure of it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Historia's first proper act as queen will be to ensure that Sasha never has access to the castle's food pantry.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!

AradoBalanga posted:

Historia's first proper act as queen will be to ensure that Sasha never has access to the castle's food pantry.

The crown lies heavy on the head of a Queen. Historia, too, will have to break the heart of her Falstaff ;_;

Also, I never really thought about it, but the God Warriors are a huge influence on the Titans. More so now that we know that at least one was created to be a god to rule over humanity.

I wonder if the approaching "end of the world" has anything to do with Mr. Bananas? Also, while the Wall Titans waking up are an obvious way for things to go to poo poo (maybe they need the command of the Reiss powers to stay asleep?), it could be that there is an external threat they are designed to wake up in order to fight... and aren't a favorite to win against.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 9, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Crunchyroll has its version up.

Soulcleaver posted:

Isayama's human faces sometimes really look like titan faces. I don't know if it's on purpose or not. Gettin a real Chuckles vibe from that middle one.

I'd say it's definitely intentional. With Kenny in particular, what with how he was portrayed as a killing machine ala Levi, and how he just seemed to desire the power of a titan for the sake of the power itself, making him more titan-like. But then his actual motivations and desires were revealed here, and he became more human-like. Yadayada, humans are titans, titans are humans, no real evil, only grey, all that.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Hodgepodge posted:

I wonder if the approaching "end of the world" has anything to do with Mr. Bananas? Also, while the Wall Titans waking up are an obvious way for things to go to poo poo (maybe they need the command of the Reiss powers to stay asleep?), it could be that there is an external threat they are designed to wake up in order to fight... and aren't a favorite to win against.

Oh poo poo, that's something I'd never considered. I wonder if the monkey titan guy thing is connected to what the wall titans are supposed to fight, if that's the case, because he seems like he's not connected to the royal family/walls intrigue

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh my god.

They killed Kenny.

:golfclap:

Was literally my reaction. I just had to post it again.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

New thread title here.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And hey, this seems like a nice place for the anime to stop for the second season, so that will probably get announced fairly soonish.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Terper posted:

And hey, this seems like a nice place for the anime to stop for the second season, so that will probably get announced fairly soonish.

Wasn't it already announced for a 2016 date? I vaguely remember that.

E: oh it was a general 2016, never mind

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 9, 2015

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Me too, Kenny was my favorite character, even more so after this chapter

Yeah, I'm still not sure what to think of that...

Kenny really was a cool character, really refreshing after the utter snooze fest that the protagonists usually are. ESPECIALLY compared to Levi and Misaka, who might as well be planks of woods with faces painted on 'em. For some reason, the villains are vastly more interesting. And now, Kenny's dead. I'm usually happy when an author decides against keeping a cool villain around forever - it shows the author knows exactly what he's doing. But here, it feels like we're only at the very start of Kenny's actions. I mean, what did he even DO?

- Knife a lot of completely defenseless people
- Miss Levi several times at point-blank range
- Get shot by Levi
- Spot the merchant family's betrayal
- Yell at Reiss for a bit before loving off and in the end having zero impact on the following events (since Eren and Historia didn't fight anyway)
- Have an extended flashback
- Give Levi a free titan serum
- Die

Really, that wasn't very impressive. That one fight scene was nice, and that's all he had - very disappointing for someone played up as THE RIPPER and Levi's superior. Even his entire squad sucked. They managed to shoot a couple unnamed characters, they broke Hanji's arm (OH NOOOO THE STAKES HAVE NEVER BEEN HIGHER) and then they got punked, only to later be defeated off-screen. Hell, I might've liked this turn of events more if it was Levi dying under a tree instead, with Kenny surviving. Could've given Mikasa something interesting to do besides following orders by adults and being an MMA waifu.

It feels like there never was a real threat in this entire arc. The military failed at every single turn, with the sole exception of Kenny spotting the betrayal (good on him, it's about the only thing he's managed to do). It felt kinda boring. My only hope is that their little coup will screw them over BIG time later down the road - and with that crazy torture guy in command, that doesn't even look all that unlikely. Let's see how this continues (ideally with actually important characters dying), 'cause I'm kind of losing interest rapidly...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh hey, in Kenny's flashback, it's Pastor Nick who is the slave to booze.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Losing interest now? We've never been closer to the basement.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Torquemadras posted:

(OH NOOOO THE STAKES HAVE NEVER BEEN HIGHER)
Are you one of those people who requires actual death to create tension instead of the threat of danger

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The thing about a story that relies on character deaths to get people's attention is that, for the people who only paid attention to the story because of those deaths, it has to keep on killing people off in order to keep their attention. So either you either create a character treadmill and constantly introduce, get acquainted with, then kill off named characters (Gantz was designed to be this, also trash) or you inevitably disappoint the people who don't care and just want to see blood.

The Attack on Titan thread has been getting slower as people realize that the early gonzo anything-goes-anybody-can-die tone could only be maintained for so long before it turns into self-parody. (see: Gantz) So now we're stuck with the actual story being told, and it's bleak in a less, I want to say "dazzling" way than one would expect from the first chunk.

For what it's worth I wasn't terribly impressed with the initial chapters. To be honest my first, extremely unkind reaction to AoT was "Ooh here's another zombie apocalypse with a ~twist~ look at how impressed all of these readers are the people are [gasp!] dying! The idea of introducing a bunch of disposable characters early to inflate a death-heavy tone is completely new and original and not at all blatant sensationalist shock-schlock designed to steal your attention since you're an idiot so it must be new to you." The fact that a common refrain among people disillusioned with AoT is the lack of central character death only shows that, yes, the initial attention-grabber ploy worked, but now we're left with a chunk of audience who were misled to believe this was an edgier, more "hardcore" story than was actually going to be.

I only really started to care once the politics and the ontological mystery entered the forefront and before then it was mostly morbid curiosity that kept me reading, though not regularly. The fact that the political arc seems to be wrapping itself up means that what's really left is the mystery and the world situation, and I'll probably keep checking in occasionally.

Torquemadras posted:

Let's see how this continues (ideally with actually important characters dying), 'cause I'm kind of losing interest rapidly...

I think it's good that you know what you want out of a story.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah if you're still reading Attack on Titan for bleak hopelessness grimdark that went away the moment Eren was revealed to be alive years ago. The central conceit of the series is pretty much how this ensemble cast is slowly turning a hopeless ontological mystery situation around one step at a time and dealing with roadblocks in their way. It's a dark story but the main cast literally wears wings on their back and you can be sure it's symbolic of how they're ready to die for humanity (and many do) but also how they represent the ideal of soaring human victory.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I do however completely agree that Mikasa needs something to do besides be a killstick waifu without a real goal besides "Eren survives."

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Out of the top 5 in the trainees, Mikasa is the only one who isn't a titan shifter, and now there's a titan syringe in play.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 10, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bluemillion posted:

Out of the top 5 in the trainees, Mikasa is the only one who isn't a titan shifter, and now there's a titan syringe in play.

Giving it to someone who's so good with 3DMG seems like a waste. Maybe give it to Armin?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't like a Titan serum is very useful on its own since you just become an uncontrollable monster.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't like a Titan serum is very useful on its own since you just become an uncontrollable monster.

They have the serum and they have Annie in custody. Kenny straight up handed off chekov's gun to Levi.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sub Harrison posted:

Losing interest now? We've never been closer to the basement. Elf Island.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I think you're all missing the most important part of this chapter. Is this, or is this not, the first time Levi has ever smiled?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

ImpAtom posted:

Uncontrollable Mikasa titan might be the big catastrophe everyone is expecting.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Pretty sure we saw another vial of armor juice in that case, so it looks like we'll be heading straight back to Wall Maria next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That Colossal Titan scene has produced a huge amount of fan art.

Attack By Titans?