Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

It's constant and not just after filling. Oh well, gonna have to dig deep I guess, I'll check the fuel pump first probably, I really don't wanna drop the tank.

Can you tell if it's front or back? Like, especially right after driving (so you've blown the stank off of it).

And also, are you parking in places where you would be able to see dripping or are you like me and parking on gravel where it has to be gallons before you can tell? My standard move is cardboard. See what comes down from where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Super low-hanging fruit: check the evap line. Not becuase it's super likely you're losing a lot of fuel from it, but because it's a cheaper fix.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Leperflesh posted:

Super low-hanging fruit: check the evap line. Not becuase it's super likely you're losing a lot of fuel from it, but because it's a cheaper fix.

In my case, my Altima was giving a pretty strong constant smell anytime the engine was off, with a slight reduction in MPG - also a constant CEL for a large evap leak, along with a code for an evap solenoid.

Wound up being several cracked lines around the gas tank (the charcoal canister on that car sat next to the tank, every line between it and the tank was cracked), along with a bad solenoid that was between them. Solenoid was $free at a junkyard.

Not saying that's what it is, but get under there and start looking for vacuum lines that may be brittle and any solenoids you can reach without dropping the tank, and of course, pull codes.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Geoj posted:

20A/240W might be a bit excessive (most car headlights are fused at 10-15A and only draw 50-65W) but yes, that should work for your application.

Cool, thanks. :)

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I have a grinding noise in my front passenger side wheel when I take right turns, it started after my first autocross a few weeks ago. Thought it was the dust shield rubbing on the rotor - pulled it back and it got better and then went back to how it was. So yesterday I took the brakes apart and the rotor was actually running against the caliper bracket. The mechanic who installed the bearing at the end of February must have put the hub in crooked. Is this something he should fix free of charge? I haven't been impressed with his work and if I have to pay I would rather go somewhere else.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Neptr posted:

I have a grinding noise in my front passenger side wheel when I take right turns, it started after my first autocross a few weeks ago. Thought it was the dust shield rubbing on the rotor - pulled it back and it got better and then went back to how it was. So yesterday I took the brakes apart and the rotor was actually running against the caliper bracket. The mechanic who installed the bearing at the end of February must have put the hub in crooked. Is this something he should fix free of charge? I haven't been impressed with his work and if I have to pay I would rather go somewhere else.

If you've been able to take it apart, you can just fix it yourself. What's the problem, the rotor is damaged? A new one is probably like $30.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Godholio posted:

If you've been able to take it apart, you can just fix it yourself. What's the problem, the rotor is damaged? A new one is probably like $30.

I don't have a press to take the hub/bearing out of the knuckle, which is why I took the car to a mechanic. I also thought I was paying for the convienence of having someone else do it, but I was wrong.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ah, so it's a blue car.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Kids (presumably) nicked the dustcaps off my tyres, are the locking ones worth it or shall I just get a shitload of black plastic ones?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

Kids (presumably) nicked the dustcaps off my tyres, are the locking ones worth it or shall I just get a shitload of black plastic ones?

Are you talking about valve stem covers?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Neptr posted:

I don't have a press to take the hub/bearing out of the knuckle, which is why I took the car to a mechanic. I also thought I was paying for the convienence of having someone else do it, but I was wrong.

You can probably rent a press from a nearby equipment rental place if you want to do it yourself, but I'd ask your mechanic first and see what he says. If he's willing to do it for free or a reduced price, you might want to do that. The worst thing he'll do is tell you no.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

VelociBacon posted:

Are you talking about valve stem covers?

Yep, always called em dustcaps before, though valve stem covers is a bit more descriptive.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Not a stupid question but more a stupid statement. Today i learned you could get everyones animu favorite the 4AGE (not one of its derivatives) put into a brad new toyota as recently at 2002. Other than something obvious like a small block chevrolet or a ford 5.0, what are some cult engines that carried on in ways people wouldnt expect? I considered making a thread but i'm probate paranoid.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DesperateDan posted:

Yep, always called em dustcaps before, though valve stem covers is a bit more descriptive.

Never heard of them before - now I look, they seem a right pain in the arse to use.

If you are frequent pressure-checker, they are fiddly.

If you are an infrequent checker, I wouldn't be surprised if they seize up

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nvm, hit it with a hammer until I felt better. This solved the problem.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 10, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DesperateDan posted:

I think a 4 pack is about a dollar.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Not a stupid question but more a stupid statement. Today i learned you could get everyones animu favorite the 4AGE (not one of its derivatives) put into a brad new toyota as recently at 2002. Other than something obvious like a small block chevrolet or a ford 5.0, what are some cult engines that carried on in ways people wouldnt expect? I considered making a thread but i'm probate paranoid.

Mitsu 4G/4D motors? Haven't those been in just about everything?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MattD1zzl3 posted:

At one point you could get the newer shape caldina (which normally comes with a 1AZ/2AZ engine) with a 3SGTE. The very first of the new-shape hiaces came with a 5LTE instead of a 1KD, they're rare as hens teeth.

BMW's M30, designed in the early 70's, could be had in the e38 7 series of the late 90's.

There are others I can't think of right now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Rolls Royce V8 was first put in a production car in 1959, and you can still buy a Bentley fitted with one.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Anyone have experience with 'rust converters'? I've got a handful of patchy spots and bubbles on a few areas of the car, they're not holes yet but I don't have a grinder to work them down to bare metal - does using a rust converter last, is it going to cause problems in the future? Should I just bite the bullet and have a shop do all of the bodywork?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Most people don't realize those leaky rear end underperforming Rover V8s were souped up and put in various small number production cars in the UK like TVRs until about 2004.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is the LS1 a Chevy small block? It's in everything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's a Chevy small block. Usually people talk about the SBC referring to the Gen 1 (your 327s and 350s, etc), while the LS1 is the Gen 3 (started in 1997).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

It's a Chevy small block. Usually people talk about the SBC referring to the Gen 1 (your 327s and 350s, etc), while the LS1 is the Gen 3 (started in 1997).

Yea. They only used the Gen 1 motors from 1955 to 2003.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 4, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

Can you tell if it's front or back? Like, especially right after driving (so you've blown the stank off of it).

And also, are you parking in places where you would be able to see dripping or are you like me and parking on gravel where it has to be gallons before you can tell? My standard move is cardboard. See what comes down from where.

Can't really tell if it's front or back, but it is usually right after driving. I'm gonna have it on stands soon to replace the struts so I was gonna start it up and check everything out.

Leperflesh posted:

How can I find a leak in the evap system without a smoke tester or something?

There's no CEL by the way, should I have the codes checked anyway?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Since there aren't any codes, you can probably exclude the evap system, and focus your attention on the fuel lines.

Does it have an access panel of some sort to get to the fuel pump? I know a lot of cars have one either under the back seat or in the trunk somewhere.

e: VVVVV what he said too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 11, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You should have the codes ran, you can have some without the CEL on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I can get to the pump under the back seat, I'll do that after checking all the lines and poo poo. Gonna check for codes just to be sure too.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can anyone tell me where i can find big cheap deep cycle batteries? I am going to a big music festival and would like to run an inverter to power some items but i really dont want to shell out the money for an optima.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cr0y posted:

big
cheap
deep cycle

Choose two.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You'd probably be better off either with a cheap generator (couple of hundred at Harbor Freight), or if you value sanity, quiet, and reliability, a Honda inverter generator (they're seriously the quietest generator you can find, and put out true AC, but they start around $800 - if you find one on sale).

Alternatively, find a place that services forklifts, see if they'll sell some used batteries.

What are you trying to power?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am mainly trying to power a big shop fa n as the venue is a big field in Tennessee in June. Lights and speakers will probably be involved as well. I might just use a couple normal batteries wired in parallel. Generators arent appreciated due to the close proximity of everyone at the festival.

Edit: is there anything close to the hondas in terms of noise?

cr0y fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 11, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Anyone know what o2 sensor data is supposed to look like?

From what I can tell they seem to be working fine, the voltage is always somewhere between .1 and .9 which is good I think and its not flatlining so thats also good?

Im chasing a P0133 (passenger upstream o2 slow to respond) and occasional P0153 (driver upstream o2 slow to respond) after installing a mid pipe. No leaks that I can hear, MAF was cleaned last year but Ill give that another shot.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
I have a quick question as I am trying to narrow down and issue with the wiper assembly.

I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer 2WD 6 Cylinder the has the following symptoms:

Recently, the front washer pump started to pump fluid and ejected the entire tank. Killed it by disconnecting it. Front wipers would still work though, so I rerouted the rear washer fluid pump to the front to at least maintain functionality. Also replaced the front washer pump just in case, still continues to pump non-stop.

Now the front wipers will not turn on when switched on by the combination turn signal/cruise control/wipers multiswitch.

The front pump will still run if plugged back in though.

As I have come to find out, the '02-05 models of this vehicle had a recall on the wiper motor my wife was unaware of for the specific problem that it liked to drink all the water. Sure enough the wiring connector to the motor had some corrosion and water standing. When I took the entire assembly apart and opened up the box on the motor that controlled all the electric things it was full of rust colors mud on the contacts and everywhere. I also turned it upright and a bunch of rusty water poured out of the motor compartment.

I am thinking the motor itself is just hosed, but combined with the preceding issue with the wiper pump I am wondering if it is just a switch issue. The difference being would be like $88 worth of parts and loving with the steering column/SRS blowing up in my face for no reason.

Do I need to replace both parts or should I replace one or the other and try it before buying the other part?

[edit] If this helps, the turn signals and cruise control still work and I swapped around the relays and the fuses just in case to test and it doesn't seem to be those. Although, when I remove the 15 fuse from the wiper slip and put it back it I can hear an audible electrical click type deal like I just closed a circuit.

theSpokeyDokey fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 11, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cage posted:

Anyone know what o2 sensor data is supposed to look like?

From what I can tell they seem to be working fine, the voltage is always somewhere between .1 and .9 which is good I think and its not flatlining so thats also good?

Im chasing a P0133 (passenger upstream o2 slow to respond) and occasional P0153 (driver upstream o2 slow to respond) after installing a mid pipe. No leaks that I can hear, MAF was cleaned last year but Ill give that another shot.

Yes, I do!

And that looks fine and you are correct about how everything should look on the upstream sensor.

Why the P-codes are occurring probably depends on how the ECU defines those codes and what is specifically triggering it. It's curious that it started occurring after you installed a mid pipe because that's post-cat and so shouldn't affect the pre-cat sensor at all.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

totalnewbie posted:

Yes, I do!

And that looks fine and you are correct about how everything should look on the upstream sensor.

Why the P-codes are occurring probably depends on how the ECU defines those codes and what is specifically triggering it. It's curious that it started occurring after you installed a mid pipe because that's post-cat and so shouldn't affect the pre-cat sensor at all.
Er maybe I mixed up my terms. What I installed was the whole catalytic converter assembly, I thought mid-pipe was another name for that oops. Whats goes between the headers and the catback.

Thanks for the heads up that the sensors look good though. I guess Ill clean the MAF next since Im 99% sure there aren't any leaks.

Cage fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 11, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cr0y posted:

I am mainly trying to power a big shop fa n as the venue is a big field in Tennessee in June. Lights and speakers will probably be involved as well. I might just use a couple normal batteries wired in parallel. Generators arent appreciated due to the close proximity of everyone at the festival.

Edit: is there anything close to the hondas in terms of noise?

One of my uncles has a Yamaha inverter generator that is drat near silent, quite small, and puts out very clean power. Only problem is last I looked it was over $1k and that's for a ~2kW model.

Perhaps batteries + solar panel?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cage posted:

Er maybe I mixed up my terms. What I installed was the whole catalytic converter assembly, I thought mid-pipe was another name for that oops. Whats goes between the headers and the catback.

Thanks for the heads up that the sensors look good though. I guess Ill clean the MAF next since Im 99% sure there aren't any leaks.

Okay, well then, it's possible that the pipes are of different lengths than OEM and so the travel time from engine -> O2 sensor is longer than the ECU expects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

IOwnCalculus posted:

One of my uncles has a Yamaha inverter generator that is drat near silent, quite small, and puts out very clean power. Only problem is last I looked it was over $1k and that's for a ~2kW model.

Perhaps batteries + solar panel?

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/calculator-sizing-a-battery-to-a-load.html

You can do the sums here, to see how many batteries you will need.

I bet that fan will be sucking a load of juice.