Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
gently caress those assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Was hoping the show was like Henry and just not die. Maybe it still can live!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
New Amsterdam indeed

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kickstarter go!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Figures that once again the only thing I watch ABC for gets cancelled. And yet loving garbo like Galavant and Agent Carter will likely get renewed until the heat death of the universe.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

raditts posted:

Figures that once again the only thing I watch ABC for gets cancelled. And yet loving garbo like Galavant and Agent Carter will likely get renewed until the heat death of the universe.

I was under the impression that neither of those shows had much chance for renewal.

The finale provided good closure at any rate.

[Oh cool it seems Agent Carter at least is coming back so I probably missed the Galavant announcement too. Never mind!]

BarbarousBertha fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 8, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BarbarousBertha posted:

I was under the impression that neither of those shows had much chance for renewal.

One involves Disney's current cash cow and the other involves Disney's legacy cash cow, so I think they both had a leg up on the competition.
Not that I felt either deserved it because they were both hot garbage by the end of their respective seasons, but I don't make the decisions so...

quote:

The finale provided good closure at any rate.

Yeah, at least it had a decent stopping point and didn't leave any loose ends, which is more than can be said about my favorite cancelled ABC shows of the past.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
This hurts almost as much as Almost Human last year. Shows don't get a chance to properly find their feet anymore. Great shows are killed off so that lowest common denominator drivel can keep getting shovelled at people.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

This hurts almost as much as Almost Human last year. Shows don't get a chance to properly find their feet anymore. Great shows are killed off so that lowest common denominator drivel can keep getting shovelled at people.

While I agree that it hurt to lose the weekly shot of Karl Urban, Almost Human was a corporate meddling train wreck. There's really no comparison. Maybe Forever just wasn't Shondaland enough for ABC to take a chance on renewing it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BarbarousBertha posted:

While I agree that it hurt to lose the weekly shot of Karl Urban, Almost Human was a corporate meddling train wreck. There's really no comparison. Maybe Forever just wasn't Shondaland enough for ABC to take a chance on renewing it.

I don't doubt that Almost Human was Foxed up the Arse repeatedly. It had an even worse chance than this show did.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
The only consolation is that shows seem to be more careful about season finales now when they don't know if they're gonna get renewed.

Both Forever and Almost Human deserved another season but at least they got somewhat satisfying endings; they could have pulled a John Doe and we'd be asking for their heads on a pike.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I only now just watched the finale. Goddamn, that was pretty stone cold. What a grim fate for Adam, even if it was deserved.

Simultaneously learning it won't be renewed was :(

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The Lord Bude posted:

Shows don't get a chance to properly find their feet anymore.

Yeah, I hate that reality. The amount of immediate success a property needs to have just to survive is simply not realistic most of the time.

The MO for network TV seems to have increasingly been to get gun shy and cancel things that aren't runaway hits right out of the gate. Totally reasonable numbers aren't enough; it needs to be Empire or Glee levels of huge immediately...after which they run their successes into the ground and hope their new crop of pilots produces a new wunderkind.

Movies are even worse. Like, a film can earn $500 Million and still be regarded as a failure. If it doesn't earn back more than its entire production budget in the first weekend, it's a failure. If it doesn't end it's run with several times the budget, it's a failure. It's untenable, and why studios increasingly invest in a small handful of extremely gigantic films in hope of Avengers lightning striking.

Daler Mehndi posted:

I only now just watched the finale. Goddamn, that was pretty stone cold. What a grim fate for Adam, even if it was deserved.

Though, he probably doesn't have a high life expectancy in that state. And man, when he finally resurrects, he'll be pissed.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Oh man, imagine if someone decided to "mercy kill" Adam, that would have been interesting. I will miss this show, but at least it ended on a fairly happy note.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Oh man, imagine if someone decided to "mercy kill" Adam, that would have been interesting. I will miss this show, but at least it ended on a fairly happy note.

That's probably exactly how they would have brought him back had they been renewed.

It was nice how everything was pretty much wrapped up, but wish it could have continued.

I'm such a sucker for shows involving immortal people/time travelers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

It was a perfect ending to the Adam vs Henry where Henry wins without surrendering what he's clung to since discovering his immortality.

All in all it was a great single season series that never really got bad and managed to be fun the entire time. It's a shame it got cancelled but it seems like most goods shows of the last few years die an early death because people would rather watch insane BS like Blacklist or BBT.

• Locked thread