Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I thought about voting 'em in a few times but then I decided it was far more important we get All Fairies All The Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Thread is clearly biased against potatoes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I find it a travesty of justice people would vote in Hina but not the Aki's. The Aki's actually got amusing dialogue and stuff, and they had some interesting stuff to say about the seasons.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Ardeem posted:

Thread is clearly biased against potatoes.

Please don't compare yams against real potatoes, it's not a contest.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Akis should always have someone inbetween them in voting.

Also, Mokou (And Kaguya) aren't supposed to be able to go into the netherworld at all, this is even commented on in dialog. This game ruins canon! :argh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That's not an actual thing, it's fanon only. Eirin even visits the Netherworld in one of the books.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Eirin didn't drink it, she's just Lunarian.

I recall it being an exchange in IN, but I certainly could be wrong.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Eirin didn't drink it, she's just Lunarian.

I recall it being an exchange in IN, but I certainly could be wrong.

No, Eirin is definitely a Hourai Immortal. She mentions it in Ghost team's ending. Which is also when she visits the Netherworld.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

People take Yuyuko's "being here is the same as being dead" way too literally. Pretty sure that was just her taunting Reimu, Fist of the North Star "you're already dead" style.

Nevermind that Reimu broke the Netherworld border anyway and I'm not sure Yukari ever got around to fixing it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The full list of votes, if anyone was curious:

quote:

Reimu 4
Sakuya 13
Meiling 10
Keine 4
Mokou 7
Komachi 8
Patchouli 4
FA Nitori 2
Sanae 2
Aya 1
Momiji 2
Youmu 1

Cirno 4
Elly 4
Kurumi 10
Nitori 0
Koakuma 2
Minoriko 0
Shizuha 0
Hina 2
Letty 6
Lily White 2
Nazrin 1
Shou 1

Rumia 7
Daiyousei 4
Sunny 12
Luna 10
Star 10

Despite the thread's overwhelming push for fairies, Sakuya was the favorite pick.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm glad Meiling is up there. I mark out for kung fu in general, and especially so in environments where 'shoots laser' is the norm.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I find it a travesty of justice people would vote in Hina but not the Aki's. The Aki's actually got amusing dialogue and stuff, and they had some interesting stuff to say about the seasons.

Ask not of others what you cannot do yourself.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Despite the thread's overwhelming push for fairies, Sakuya was the favorite pick.

That's only if you're going by the number of times voted. Was there a single vote where she was available that Sunny didn't get picked? Oh, and Youmu got picked 100% of the time. :colbert:

And I am happy Komachi got in the top 10, she is cool and was usually my first priority in voting. So I will take credit for that, despite probably only voting her in like 3 times.

Golden Battler posted:

Ask not of others what you cannot do yourself.

Hey, I never voted in Hina.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Updated the last update.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 16, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

BlitzBlast posted:

The attack is based on Rampage Ghost, but that attack doesn't actually have a theme so we had to choose something else.

And you didn't just call it Rampage Doofy Ghost?

Anyway, who does the flirty part? Or is that more of an Excellen thing?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They kind of just talk poo poo to each other. A Love-Love attack this isn't.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I love doofy ghost

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Hijacking Blitz's thread again to mention I'm streaming GoS again in 15m.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I hope you're ready for a wall of text.

------

quote:

Offering to the Falling Flowers

Music: Mystic Prelude

I guess someone must have messed up the math, because I was just 0.5 away from being able to use Dai. I put the Oshirasama on Reimu instead.

Yukari posted:

What an unpleasant, disgusting youkai cherry tree. I really never wanted to see it again.

Lady Yukari, about the seal...

It looks like it won't be a problem. But thank you for letting me know.

Sakuya posted:

It's the youkai fox from earlier. But who's that with her?

That would be Yukari Yakumo, the great youkai they call a sage.

Oh, that's her? I've heard the rumors.

Took you long enough, Yukari. The party's over. What do you want?

Are you here to punish us for visiting the Underworld...?

I heard from Ran that you set foot in a forbidden land. But that's not why I'm here.

Then why?

First of all, let me give you my congratulations for your efforts to stop the Saigyo Ayakashi. Good work, Reimu. You managed to safely resolve this incident.

What's with this "good work" stuff? Gensokyo was in trouble, why didn't you lend a hand?

Because I knew this would happen even if I didn't. The Saigyo Ayakashi will scatter its petals, and return to sleep once more.

This accursed cherry tree will never reach full bloom.

...So what are you trying to say? I'd wish you'd just say what you mean.

In other words, you just stayed quiet and let us resolve the incident for you?

You can take it that way, if you like. Although I never imagined you'd gather such a crowd.

Now that you mention it, there are an awful lot of us.

Our former enemies, the Scarlet Devil Mansion and the Moriya Shrine, are both lending us their strength.

Before all this, I never imagined we'd be helping out the humans.

My, how quickly times can change. In the old Gensokyo, I would never have thought humans and youkai could work hand in hand. And yet here we are, with all of you able to stand together against an incident.

Is that really what's going on? It doesn't feel that special to me.

...So are we done here? Will you let us go home?

That would have been fine, but I just changed my mind. Let's keeping talking, just a bit longer.

Huh?

Pour all of the time you've spent into a single moment's danmaku display. Show me what Gensokyo has become.

A ton of enemies spawn in.

Whoa, does this mean what I think it means?!

I see. You're proposing a danmaku battle.

That's a pretty crazy way to hold a conversation.

At this point the dialogue branches depending on the protagonist.

Marisa's Route posted:

What do we do?! There's no point at all to fighting her!

No, I'm up for it.

Marisa?

You think I'll just walk away when some big shot waltzes in at the very last seconds and picks a fight? No way I'm gonna stop now.

Well, I figured you'd say something like that.

If that's how it's gonna be, then we're with you!

We've rode this boat this far together, so we might as well see it to the end.

My mistress can wait for her morning tea a little longer. I'm a bit interested in what this youkai has to say, too.

Good grief, did our cat catch some of Remi's curiosity?

Let's do this, Yukari. My mini-Hakkero is getting tired of waiting!

Reimu's Route posted:

What should we do, Reimu? We have no reason to fight her.

Now that you mention it, we've never really sat down for a good, long chat before.

Reimu?

Fine. Let's talk, Yukari. If that's what you want. No matter how fishy you are, danmaku doesn't lie.

I dunno what's going on, but all we have to do is beat her, right?

Let's just consider this a celebration to welcome in the spring.

If you want a fight, you'll get one.

If she's really the youkai sage, we can't exactly back down. Miss Shameimaru, Miss Inubashiri, will you please come with me?

We've come this far with you, it's a bit late to be asking us now.

The incident's over, so our duty to you is done, but... How often do we get to get violent with a major big shot? Might as well make the most of it!

Now, let's do this, Yukari. Try to keep this interesting!
Then let's chat until the cherry blossoms stop falling. Let's commemorate the end of the season you've finally caught up to.

quote:

Victory: Defeat Yukari.
Defeat: All allies are defeated.
Bonus: Capture all of Yukari's spell cards.
Music: The Ayakashi Sheds Spring

A bit of wordplay is lost in translation: the character for Ayakashi is the same "You" in the title. All of the game medleys have their game's kanji in the title, actually.

The final chapter of the game. In a direct contrast to chapter 15, which had a joke of a stage and a meatgrinder of a boss, 34's boss honestly isn't that bad.

She's not exactly a piece of cake, what with five spellcards and a host of annoying abilities. But she's just one boss, and that means I can Support Defend my way through her easily enough.

So the bigger issue is her backup. Yukari has brought an army of 34 units, including Ran, Chen, Goki, and Zenki.

And Ran still has her MAP!

Thankfully this is just Normal mode, so all this is going to boil down to is a particularly long stage section and then a relatively easy boss fight. On Lunatic, which I am unfortunately subjecting myself to, this chapter is hell incarnate.

The only thing I'll be worrying about here is FA Nitori's absurdly low level. She's been used all of once, and it really shows.

The spirits aren't particularly tough, though, so a few Gained kills should be all she needs to catch up. And Star has to spend her SP on something.

More worrisome is how spirit AI tends to prioritize attacking a single unit en masse. In this stage, that means one unit could be getting attacked no less than five times a turn.

Also Reimu defied all expectations and got hit by a 19% right away. :negative:

Though then Instinct Dodge kicked in and jacked her evade rates even higher. Always look on the bright side, I guess.

Oh yeah, on my second take of chapter 33 I took care to get as many Gained kills as possible on Yuyuko. Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Youmu and Sanae are all around level 30 now.

Yukari is a jerk and boosts the hit rates of her allies by a whopping 20%. Thankfully she won't be moving (yet) so that buff is restricted to enemies too far away to matter.

Oh, and on Normal the minibosses won't start heading down until turn 2. It's a convenient breather window.

I spent the first five or so turns steadily arranging a formation while weathering the spirit barrage.

I took down Ran as fast as possible to avoid her MAP.

If you saw my earlier formation and was wondering why I had Patchy in the front, incidentally, it's because her barrier is strong enough that if I have Patchy defend it'll zero out the damage from basically everyone but Ran.

Enemies suiciding themselves on Reimu never gets old.

Especially since it sky rockets her Power. As a reminder, Power plays a role in the damage formula. With Reimu at something like 145 and Ran only at ~112, Reimu is doing way more damage than normal.

It's probably worth noting that this version of Ran doesn't have Double Image. She's landed now, though, so she can actually use her S rank Ground rating.

Elly grabs the kill.

Lady Yukari, I will be heading back before you.

Chen goes down shortly afterwards to an onslaught of Support Attacks.

I'm sorry Miss Raaaaaan!

Sanae snags SP Regen, which isn't actually very useful for her compared to Living God.

Kurumi posted:

Sheesh, this is annoying!
I thought a 22% enemy hit rate was a safe bet. I was wrong. :geno:

Oh well, I didn't have anything concrete for a SRW joke video this chapter anyways.

Reimu could easily handle the entire right side of the map by herself, but I'm worried about Yukari. It's turn 5 and Ran's dead; I'm not sure which of those is the trigger to get her to start moving, but I'm pretty sure she will now. And she is the one enemy in the entire game who has good odds on Reimu because

she stole Reimu's equip! :argh:

Also this. Aaaah, another window breaking description.

And yes, the final boss is the only enemy in the game that can feasibly hit Reimu without spirits. Reimu is just that good.
Yukari didn't move on the next enemy phase, so I'm probably thinking of the triggers on harder difficulties.

Sakuya finishes off Goki.

It was at this point I learned that the Three Fairies don't always spawn at Sunny's position. It's at whoever used Join.

Anyway Nitori finishes off Zenki.

Now all that's left is Yukari, which means she should probably start moving now.

Yup.

The stolen spring is returning to the land below, little by little...

And the incident ends along with the Saigyo Ayakashi. If you'd just wait patiently, you wouldn't have to fight too, you know.

I don't have the patience for that. I was always, always looking for spring. I'd dig through the snow every day...

That's why, right now, I'm so happy that I'm chomping at the bit.

Music: Lapsing into Sleep, the Boundary of Reminiscence

The choreography on most of Yukari's attacks is pretty involved. Once again, I recommend watching the attack video.

Oh and she has a Distortion Barrier (reduces all received damage by 700) because of course.

There's no point to beating Yukari now, since she'll warp back to her starting position to trigger her first spell. Better to just set up my boss formation.

Yukari warped over midway through and attacked Reimu. Aaaaagh I knew I should have cast Focus. :ohdear:

It's been a while, Reimu. Have you been well?

Oh my, isn't it cold of you to just ignore me?

Not really. I was just saving it for the danmaku battle. You want to talk, right? Then get started already.

My, my. I suppose if I want to know, then that will do nicely. Since it's you, I don't mind showing you what's beyond the multi-layered barrier, the abyss of truth and danmaku...

Well this is a first. Is my intuition getting dull?

:sigh:

One of these days I'd like it if a sub-50% hit rate actually missed.

Oh well, this just means Marisa's support squad will have more time to shine.

Allow me to thank you once again for resolving the incident, Miss Ordinary Magician. I'm glad it was a normal human like you who stood side by side with Reimu.

Stop calling me "ordinary" and "normal" over and over again! Are you making fun of me?

I'm assessing you. Danmaku reveals one's true self. You're the very embodiment of that.

So, can you only talk in riddles or something? For a youkai who's lived so long, you sure seem pretty human to me.

It's because I've accumulated so much. I'm bad at throwing things away.

Marisa + Nitori do about 7000.

You were Nitori Kawashiro, I believe. I know all about you.

Bwuh?! How do you know my name?

You come and go freely from that insular mountain society. That's more than enough to stand out. Even among the kappa, you're considered quite the eccentric.

I'm just your average kappa. I've always been interested in humans, but in the end I only had friends on the mountain.

Well, then why are you with the humans now?

It just turned out that way. Ever since I ran into Marisa, I've gotten closer to everyone.

But because it was a coincidence, I won't let you take them from me! These are my cherished bonds of friendship!

Nitori + Patchy do 4000.

So after being roped into resolving the incident, I have to deal with this strange old folk tale... I'm not too interested in oral tradition. Could you write it down in a book for me?

I prefer not to leave behind anything concrete. As long as it's in your mind, it should be sufficient.

If it's only in your mind, then that's not knowledge, that's just memories. The true nature of knowledge is to be reliably transmitted.

And Patchy + Alice finishes the job.

Daiyousei posted:

Look, the Saigyo Ayakashi is losing its petals!

The Saigyo Ayakashi will be steadily losing its petals as I take out Yukari's health bars. The animation is just the opposite of the ones on 33, so I won't be showing them.

You're quite strong. I can see how you managed to resolve this incident.

What, so you're fighting us to gauge our strength?

I want you all to show me your current selves, the ones that managed to suppress this cherry tree.

In return, I'll tell you a story from long, long ago.

A... story?

A story about when the girl sleeping beneath the Saigyo Ayakashi was still alive.

A tale about a girl entranced by the butterfly of death, and a certain youkai who met her. An illusive story that no one has ever known. Until now.

quote:

Barrier "Curse of Dreams and Reality"

Curse of Dreams and Reality has a very unique effect.

This is the first time we've talked like this, Miss Makai-born former human.

...! You know about me...?

I could hardly fail to notice a half-baked youkai like you. You've made your decision, yet you still carry all sort of things....

...And whatever could that mean?

Just as it sounds. Your heart is unable to discard Makai, and your body is unable to discard your humanity. If you're going to live as a youkai, then the only thing you've caught is risk.

Well, perhaps it's harsh of me to say all that to a novice youkai. But, for your own sake, remember these words.

Not that it matters since I'm taking it down in one turn! :black101:

Much like Flandre, how difficult this fight is directly corresponds to your preknowledge of the chapter. Yukari isn't hard, she's just very gimmicky. If you know the tricks, the fight is easy. If you don't it's a huge pain.

Incidentally I actually really love how completely different chapters 15 and 34 play; 15 has the player enduring Flandre's assault while saving up as much resources as possible for the final push, and 34 has them scratching their head figuring out how to handle Yukari's next trick.

...Once this cherry tree loses its petals, the stalled seasons will start to move again.

As a winter youkai, I'm sure this was an uncomfortable incident for you.

I've certainly been feeling under the weather, but resolving it was the natural thing to do. Defying the cycle of the four seasons was unforgiveable.

Indeed, I thought I understood that, but... Now that it's right in front of me, my feelings have gotten the better of me.

The biggest issue I'm going to run into this fight is MP. Nobody voted for Koa, so Sakuya and the single use Beer Lily is packing are my only sources of MP restoration.

Well, those and the Sunflower Marisa's been holding onto across the game. :v:

I think I've seen you somewhere before... Oh, you're Yuuka Kazami's servant youkai.

...You know Yuuka?

She's been in Gensokyo since ancient times. I suppose you could call her an acquaintance. She's quite a youkai-like youkai, in the opposite sense from me.

You mean, like, strong and scary?

Simple and lonely through and through, with a purpose in life as pure as anything.

Lonely?! Yuuka's not alone!

Yeah, she's got us and everyone in the Mansion of Fantasy!

Elly is too underleveled to do anything but tank.

You're the newcomer from Youkai Mountain. This is the first I've laid eyes on you.

You know about us...?

Naturally. Just how big of a fuss do you think you caused?

So how are you finding life over here? In the paradise you were prepared to die to reach?

...To be honest, I've often thought it was tough living here. Even though I thought I'd hardened my resolve...

If you regret it that much, I don't mind sending you back.

No, the people of the mountain and Reimu and the others... they've all accepted us. I can state this clearly now:

I live here, in Gensokyo. As the wind priestess of the Moriya Shrine, and along with Lady Yasaka and Lady Moriya!

This is actually one of the few stages long enough that Sanae can feasibly reach 100% faith. I may have lost Mario, but at least I still have Luigi!

The great youkai, Yukari Yakumo. Can I fight her while covering Lady Kochiya..?

A mountain youkai, and a tengu at that, is worrying about a human? How unusual.

Lady Kochiya is a resident of the mountain, and we residents of the mountain help each other out.

So that's the answer the mountain youkai have come to, in response to the shrine. I can't imagine that relationship will last much longer though...

That's for the higher-ups to decide; I wouldn't know. As an underling... all I can do is protect what's right in front of me.

On to the second spell.

It was an entire millennium ago, when they met underneath the the Saigyo Ayakashi's blossoms.

The girl had the power to invite death in others. She had the faint smell of death about her.

At first, the youkai had no interest in this human she met by chance. Yet as she came to know the girl, the youkai's feelings changed. She decided to remain with this girl with the blackened form, until her dying moments.

quote:

Sinister Spirits "Double Black Death Butterfly"

Double Black Death Butterfly is pretty tame. It's only really threatening on solo runs, which believe me I know from experience.

It is a nice way to sort of reference Yuyuko's gimmick by forcing you to rack up damage though.

Sunny, we're up against that bigshot youkai they call a sage! We can't beat her! We need to run away...

Oh my, even if you weren't so frightened, I wouldn't have antagonized you. There's no need to. After all, you're weak. Extremely weak.

However, I am a bit interested in your mysteries. Perhaps you could show me, briefly.

What do we do, Sunny? She's saying that, but...

Hmph. If we kept quiet after all that, we'd be a disgrace to the name of the Three Fairies of Light.

Luna, Star, let's go! We'll show her our hidden potential!

I'm mostly going to be using the Three Fairies to trigger Support Attacks, so I have them close up. This neuters their damage output, unfortunately.

By the way, I put Breath of Life back on Lily. She's burning up too much MP with It's Spring! to effectively heal, but she can just steadily regenerate everyone's health instead.

Cue another rousing round of Marisa And Her Friends Beat Up Yukari.

Though this one cost them their last dregs of MP. Marisa and Alice can still keep on going with Proto Malice, and Nitori has her ammo based attacks, but Patchy is out of luck.

I'm glad we had the chance to talk. I've been interested in you, too.

Why?

Stranded in an unfamiliar land, and picked up by a devil of all things. What a pitiable human... What feelings motivate you to work? I've been wanting to ask you for a while now.

Meeting the mistress was my fate. I plan to continue on my path like this.

Even if it's a narrow, winding path?

Even if I must balance by a thread, I will not lose my way.

Sakuya nabs the kill and finally learns Strike.

Yukari posted:

Time passed, and as the girl grew, so, too, did her power grow stronger.
The power to invite death in others... needless to say, it was quite dangerous.

The girl was feared by human and youkai alike, and naturally they avoided her. However, that certain youkai never minded being with her. And despite their different races, the two of them drew no line between them.

quote:

Boundary of Humans and Youkai

Boundary of Humans and Youkai is another "hit the entire screen" MAP. Just like with Flandre, the goal is to get into the safe spot. You might notice that danmaku effect though; it flips between debuffing humans and debuffing youkai every turn.

Not all of the tiles around the safe spot prevent movement, by the way.

Just like And Then Will There Be None?, this is a golden opportunity to land and regenerate MP.

Oh, and this time I can bomb the danmaku to make my own safe spot. Just because I can doesn't mean I should though.

This spell is kind of a dick move, because it encourages the player to blow through their stockpile of bombs. The next two spells have some pretty crazy effects, so that's a bad idea.

Patchouli posted:

I'll be generous and admit I lost.
The safe spots appear to move in a counter clock-wise circle, but it'll actually zip back to the center for the final turn. I tried to prepare for this and ended up getting Patchy killed.

Though it works out better that way, since the final safe spot only seats 13. In yet another difference from Flandre, Yukari actually will use one final shot of Boundary of Humans and Youkai before moving on.

There's a long pause before Yukari reappears. I always freak out and worry the game might have frozen. :shobon:

Yukari posted:

More time passed, and many springs came and went.
The girl's power grew stronger still, and she became unable to control her own deadly poison.

Afraid of taking the lives of those she loved, the girl made a wish under a cherry tree.

The youkai was powerless to stop it.

And so, the girl crossed over the boundary forevermore.

Music: The Final Banquet of Boundaries and Reminiscence

The game subtly changes tracks here. I didn't even notice on my first playthrough!

quote:

Barrier "Boundary of Life and Death"

Aaaah the description.

This god drat spell. I remember being so confused with what it was doing on my first playthrough.

Boundary of Life and Death makes it so that only units that are point blank to Yukari can damage her. You might think that means having to bum rush everyone forward. You'd be wrong.

The spell only affects people standing in the danmaku, so if you bomb it everyone can attack like normal. That's why the danmaku also lowers bomb range, and why I arranged the fairies so they can free as many people as possible.

The spell has a strange miss animation. If it hits, the barrage of lasers just smacks into the player unit, but if it misses they avoid it, move to safer ground... and then dodge one last sucker punch laser. For the longest time I thought it was like Mountain of Faith where the actual bit from the spellcard pattern always misses, but no Yukari just throws out a final laser for the hell of it I guess.

Yukari's ridiculous +50% hit rate buff makes her really annoying for most Reals. If I still had Reimu, this is about the phase of the battle where she starts running out of SP and is actually in trouble.

Thankfully getting hit isn't a death sentence in this fight.

Why are you here, Youmu?

Lady Yukari...!

If you think you're protecting the White Jade Belvedere, I'm afraid it extends much further than just the garden. And it seems you've raised your blade against Yuyuko, too.

...I had to. I thought that if I didn't stop the Saigyo Ayakashi, Lady Yuyuko would've been in danger. There weren't any other options at the time...

The excuses of a child. In the off-chance that you'd wounded her, what would you do then? As guardian of the White Jade Belvedere, surely you can't say that was the right thing to do.

I don't know if it was right or wrong...

I simply believed in myself and swung my sword. I cut through to the truth!

Youmu won't be getting the dynamic kill this time, so if you were curious this time she slashes "the eyes lurking in the abyss".

It looks like the Saigyo Ayakashi is shedding its petals. Perhaps it was like this in the tale?

Wait, you mean...?

I told you, didn't I? I just want to talk.

Once the last petal falls, everything will be back to normal. Like waking up from a dream. We're just killing time until then.

Marisa's Route posted:

I don't know your situation, so I can't really say anything, but...

You've shown me some great danmaku, so let me answer in kind!

That's fine. A fine answer, for a fine human.

Then, allow me to show you the limits of danmaku. The boundary of danmaku, formed from danmaku.

Reimu's Route posted:

Look. I don't know what baggage you're carrying, and I don't care.

There's only one thing I can do for you: answer danmaku with danmaku.

I don't mind. That's certainly an answer fit for Gensokyo's barrier, the Hakurei shrine maiden.

Allow me to show you then. The limit you'll never surpass, the true boundary of danmaku.
In other words, Arcanum: "Danmaku Barrier".

quote:

Yukari's Arcanum "Danmaku Barrier"

Man I really shouldn't have relied so much on the description windows expanding with the text. Anyway Danmaku Barrier lets Yukari attack a lot. The pattern of the field changes as the timer increments (I only got one on Normal, so the rest are from Lunatic), and the timer itself is linked to both Yukari's HP and the actual turn count. But I think you can't time the card out unless you have no units in the field? It's weird.

Yukari attacked Star, Youmu, Momiji, Sanae, Luna, Letty, Elly, Lily, Nitori, Alice, and Sunny.

Alice was the only casualty.

If I wanted to, I could have skipped that entire enemy phase by holding off on capturing Boundary of Life and Death until the next turn. But then you wouldn't get to read about Yukari attacking my entire army, and where would the fun be there?

Elly blows my last bomb. This is solely to get rid of evasion penalties so everyone has a slightly better chance of dodging.

Sanae is almost there!

And Sakuya finally triggered Private Square!

Cue more deaths.

Impossible, how could I have lost...

Even though spring is right in front of me...

I can get through regular runs of this chapter without any casualties, but with this voted in team there's really not much I can do but suicide some people. v:shobon:v

:toot:

I actually screwed up my positioning earlier and moved Marisa one tile too close to Master Spark. So I'll have to wait till next turn to finish things.

I was expecting Youmu to die here,

but she got ridiculously lucky and triggered Ghostly Wheel of Pain.

She didn't get lucky twice though.

I'm so useless...

Sakuya got off her finisher during the next wave of Yukari attacks.

The Three Fairies don't do much damage, but they have so much MP/SP leftover from doing nothing all battle that they can at least drop a finisher every turn. It adds up.

Though they too get suicided.

Everyone, please handle the rest!

I'll have to retreat. Please be careful.

This could have been a really cool finish if Private Square triggered.

...I'll leave the rest to you.

But of course it didn't.

Okay, let's look at my surviving party.

First up is Elly, who made a surprise reappearance after the voters seemingly dropped her for Letty. She's near death, out of MP/SP, and couldn't scratch Yukari if she wanted to. But at least she's alive.

Much like Full Armor Nitori, though she's only alive because she chugged a bottle of Junmai Sake earlier. I guess alcohol really is good for you.

Sanae is the strongest she's ever been. Too bad she doesn't have the MP to do anything. Seriously Sanae, why do you need 20 MP to go smack someone with your stick?

And last but not least Marisa, who has lost her best buddy Alice and is ready to take revenge. Literally, because this game actually has a revenge mechanic! If two units have a friendship and the other one dies, the survivor gets a very, very slight buff to their attack. Both Reimu and Alice have died, so Marisa's seeing something like +80 base weapon damage.

Music: The Moment Dreams Reach the Stars

Watch the video!

Yukari also explodes into petals.

Marisa jumps two levels and snags Magician 5.

She also gets some very nice drops. The Portable Gap gives anyone who holds it their own Distortion Barrier. It's actually really useful for the more fragile tanks like Nitori.

We beat her...

Look...

The last petals are...

Shizuha and Reimu have those lines instead on the other route.

Those two zeroes are Luna and Star.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 29, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Netherworld
Music: The Dream is Here

Full Text

quote:

Thanks for your hard work. Don't worry, we'll forget the Underworld incident.

Sweet. Party time!

quote:

White Jade Belvedere
Music: Faintly Colored Whispering

Full Text

quote:

I'm sorry for what I did, but please don't ever try and make that tree bloom again!

Okay. Now get in the kitchen and make me dinner.

quote:

Saigyo Ayakashi
Music: Faintly Colored Whispering

Full Text

quote:

So the people in that story were you and Yuyuko, huh? Must have been tough.

I suppose. But no matter how painful the memories are, I won't forget them.

quote:

And so, spring comes to Gensokyo.

------

Yukari Yakumo
All Attacks

------

Um, thank you for playing so much, everyone!

I hope you keep playing Fantasy Mitten Wars... Ah, I mean Fancy Maiden Wa- no, not that... Fancy Mitten Wars...

(You can do it, Chen! But you're so cute when you're stuttering...!)

...You know, Ran, you shouldn't be that happy to see your shikigami mess up. In times like these, you need to educate her. I wish you'd follow my example and give her my training of love.

*sigh* I don't have very fond memories of your training, Lady Yukari...

Oh my, if you say things like that you'll end up revealing what happened back then.

It'd be like saying, for example, "Next time on 'Fantasy Maiden Wars Indigo': the story of our past together".

Hey, Yukari. Gimme a break already.

What's with that tone of voice?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 12, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Music: The Beginning and End of a Mystical Daydream

Some of the scenes in the ending change depending on the route. I'll just be posting all of them.

quote:

Hieda Residence
(Date XX/XX. The spring sun shines upon Gensokyo, and the flowers are gradually growing more colored.)

(The fall Youkai Mountain incident, and the neverending winter. The seasons are changing, and with them comes an end to a very tumultuous year.)

(I'm sure there are more incidents looming on the horizon, and I'm also sure that Reimu and her friends will resolve them. When witnessing it up close, it's hard to believe otherwise.)

(But for now, all is well. I will record my sadness at winter's parting and my joy at spring's arrival for posterity.)

I forgot to grab the image so I just used the one from FMWE posted:

Kourindou

(The winter I thought would never end is finally over, and spring has arrived in Gensokyo.)

(Maybe it's because of the weather, but Marisa's been in an unusually good mood ever since she resolved the incident.)

(As for me, I have no complaints as long as I can read in peace.)

(The only thing that would brighten this place up more would be customers. Any customers.)

(Well, I might as well show my thanks for this quiet afternoon by enjoying the new season through the window.)

quote:

Misty Lake
Full Text

quote:

Going to sleep now. See you next winter.

I'll be waiting!

quote:

White Jade Belvedere
Full Text

quote:

Ever since PCB, the Netherworld has been really lively.

quote:

Bamboo Forest of the Lost
Full Text

quote:

Let's see if there are any good stories around he-

Cheeeeeeeeen!

Miss Raaaaaaaaan!

Aaaaaaand we're out.

quote:

Margatroid Residence

How are you, Mother? You're not working too hard, are you? Remember to take care of your body. As for me, it was a bit late, but spring finally arrived. My house is filled with flowers. Since it was prolonged by the incident, this is the first time winter's made me feel depressed... but I'm doing fine now.
Which reminds me, right now I'm baking some spring cookies. I'm pretty confident this time, so maybe I'll send some with this letter.
Well, I'll be sure to write you again. I hope the scent of Gensokyo's spring reaches you.
To: Mother, and everyone in Makai
With love, Alice

quote:

Scarlet Devil Mansion
I don't think it's a good thing to have sunlight streaming into the SDM.

Full Text

quote:

Flan is changing before my eyes and I have no idea what to do about it.

quote:

Sweet Potato Field
Full Text

quote:

We've got to make up for that long winter and plant some crops.

We're helping!

quote:

Youkai Mountain

Full Text

quote:

I'm fixing up that transceiver from way back.

I'm watching.

quote:

Moriya Shrine

Full Text

quote:

So do you think you got closer to the investigation team?

Yes, everyone was very nice.

Just as planned then.

By the way, Sanae, quit it with "Ladies" and "Misses" and just call us by our names.

Uh, I'll try.

quote:

Hakurei Shrine
Full Text

quote:

Mokou, we don't actually care that you're immortal.

Yeah, let's just party.

Heh, thanks.

quote:

Palace of Earth Spirits

Full Text

quote:

Things should be fine with the surface now.

That's good. But what's this I hear about your sister?

Woah woah woah!

quote:

Animal Trail
Full Text

quote:

I'm going to unseal Hijiri. Please help me, Nazrin.

You're the boss. Okay, we have the Pagoda so all we need is the Flying Silo, right?

Ummmm, about the Pagoda... I might have lost it?

Sheesh.

quote:

Hakurei Shrine
Full Text

quote:

Hey so I saw Mima again!

Neat.

By the way, what was going on with those dreams you had?

Now that I think about it, it's probably because of this guy. Thanks little dude!

Full Text

quote:

Guess who's back?

What a surprise. Have you visited Marisa yet?

Yes, I bailed her out. I was trying to let her grow on her own but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Is that so? Bring me along next time you meet her then.

Another impressive resolution, courtesy of Reimu and Marisa.

As protectors of order and stability, they stand up against against anything threatening paradise. I made the right choice when I decided to support them.

However, it was unforeseen that they would become so friendly with the gods from outside. Those visitors are ambitious, and not to be taken lightly. I'll need to keep a careful eye on them.

Since my only wish is for Gensokyo's unchanging peace...

------

Music: With the Arrival of Spring, Cherry Blossoms Blow in the Breeze

And that's the game! I'd like to thank Ryza for helping me through this entire project, Clarste and Hokuto for translating basically the entire second half of the game, Yamsman for posting a way to crack the data files, and all of the people on #touhou for... uh... emotional support, let's go with that. There a_cartoon_duck, you're in the credits now.

And of course, thanks to everyone in the thread for ignoring the thread title and voting in random people. This was probably my most unique playthrough of FMW2 yet.

Battle Results posted:

Difficulty: Normal
Turn Count: 277
Total Play Time: 38:06:05
Enemies Defeated: 397/415
Allies Shot Down: 28/203
Cost Used: 376/384
Total Points: 1,316,285
Total PP: 3321
Bonus WP Acquired: 285/285
Spells Captured: 31/32
Bombs Used: 20/33
Game Overs: 0

Battle Results posted:

Top Aces:
_Marisa: 89 kills
_Reimu: 88 kills
_Alice: 73 kills:
Saves/Loads: 0/0 :smug:
Upgrade Percentage (Average/Highest on one unit): 16%/28%
Spirit Commands used: 576
Skills Learned: 86

Battle Results posted:

Highest Damage Dealt: 8738 (Marisa >> Letty [Master Spark])
Highest Damage Received: 10832 (Ran >> Marisa [Kokkuri's Contract])
Number of times Dai cried: 0 [Basically a death count.]
Number of times Koa comforted someone: 1 [I think this is how many times I used Renew?]
Sweet Potatoes eaten: 0
Total Faith Gathered: 233%
Like last game, there are some stats listed at the end.

And then the prompt to save clear data. This save will be getting ported over to FMW3 pronto.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 16, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Music: The Ayakashi Sheds Spring
Imagine this song on loop, forever, and you have my aural experience this update.

Alright, here's the main event. I'm going to be blunt here: my team is absolutely not optimized for this chapter. I have no idea if I can even legitimately win, but I guess I'll find out.

Given how many enemies there are, you might think the general Lunatic buff would be a problem.

It's really not, though. Say hello to the strategy I used for for the past 10 chapters: grouping everyone up into huge Support Defend blocks and slowly crawling to the boss.

All of my tanks have Berserk 9 at the minimum, and most have a couple levels of Defense Up too. As long as they're not suffering from Defense penalties, they should be able to stay alive indefinitely.

The actual source of difficulty is right here. Ran has Double Image again, starts with 110 Power so she can immediately use her MAP, and moves on the first enemy phase.

She will always be near Chen, who has Support Defense and is giving her a friendship boost to boot.

And even if I blow up Chen, Ran can just bring her back.

And even if I blow up Ran, Yukari can just bring her back. But she'll usually hold off on it until Boundary of Life and Death, which as you might recall is right after Border of Humans and Youkai. You know, the spell that leaves all of my units bunched up.

So obviously, Ran has to die immediately. And the best way to do that is to have everyone inch forward just enough on the first turn that Ran can't quite reach me on her second turn.

She'll probably use Ultimate Buddhist anyway, so everyone also has to blow some SP. I have SP Up on a couple of my Reals just so they can make it through to Yukari.

As expected, Ran spins.

And happily enough, Chen moved just out of Support Defense range. I'm all clear to murder Ran now.

Shizuha is around solely to help me do this. Aside from essentially nullifying Focus, Strike also bypasses Double Image.

But first I kill this ghost. Remember that I'm really early in the chapter at the moment; nobody has the Power to really spam finishers.

Nobody but Reimu that is. In yet another example of why she is the best, she can use Fantasy Seal as early as 120 Power. Getting 50 kills makes a unit start off with 105 Power, and being the unit with the most kills grants another +5 on top of that. So Reimu only needs to rack up 10 Power to get going, and that's pretty much just two battles or so.

Sakuya's World is also usable at 120, so I immediately blow two on Support Attacks

and then save scum until I can safely land a third.

Everyone else proceeds to burn SP like crazy to do as much damage as possible.

And after a ton of save scumming to find the best sequence of attacks, Momiji scores the killing blow.

This leaves Mokou completely unprotected against the rest of the enemies, but oh well.

Aya is also doomed, but she was only in because I had extra cost so no real loss.

The next enemy phase is pretty much save scum hell: I need to get out of it with both Sakuya and Youmu alive, or at least have them soak up enough hits that nobody else dies. The only way to do this is to reload until they trigger Private Square or Ghost Half enough times to live.

Or get lucky and have the AI randomly decide to ignore them in favor of Letty and Momiji. That happened on something like my tenth attempt, and while I was really confused I wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

With Ran dead, I'm free to group everyone up again.

And just in time too, because on Lunatic Yukari starts moving on the fourth enemy phase!

This is a death sentence for Sakuya, since Yukari has Sense and Fury. Sure, this isn't enough damage to kill her,

but the crows are still here too, and they both have Fury.

With Ran dead, the next problem I have to deal with is the Yukari-Zenki-Goki Fury trinity. Zenki in particular is the biggest threat, since it does the most damage.

And there's still the ever looming wave of spirits to deal with. One of my tanks is pretty much guaranteed to go down to a focused assault (it's the usually one that has to take Chen's attack, because she hits ridiculously hard), and this time it was Meiling.

Thankfully about four spirits suicided on Reimu.

Dai chugs down every single SP restoration item she has, then goes nuts with the healing.

While the Fury trinity can kill one person a turn, they're more likely to spread out their damage. The enemy grunts, on the other hand, are very willing to focus fire. Their deaths are top priority, no matter how much save scumming I need to do.

Once they're thinned out enough, the next priority target is Zenki. Marisa drops a bomb to free Reimu space to move.

One wave of Support Attacks later and the deed is done.

Chen falls to a similar assault. At this point, I've made it past the toughest part. It's all mopping up from here.

Once I take down Goki, I'm clear to start moving up to the Saigyo Ayakashi.

Along the way, Sanae hits max faith. :toot:

Once I'm almost there I start attacking Yukari.

Who's bulkier, but not that much of a threat. Her only real claim to fame is her absurd 107 SP. She's been casting Sense and Fury every single turn and she's only just now reaching her limits.

She goes down like a sack of bricks to what remains of my army.

Music: Sage, Please Guide Me

Here's Yukari's FMW3 theme to spice things up.

Once she's declared her first spell, I've essentially won. If I wanted to, I could just time out every single spell from here on out. Ran and Chen's respawn would be a problem, but if I had brought the Three Fairies I could have easily stalled to victory.

You've probably noticed I haven't brought the Three Fairies.

It's against my better judgement, but I'm going to try to capture as many spells as I possibly can just because why not.

All of Yukari's spells have ridiculously jacked up effects on Lunatic by the way.

Also while I just said I'd try to capture as many spells as possible, I'm not going to get Curse of Dreams and Reality. I need to spend these four turns clearing out the remaining enemies and healing all of my tanks.

Dai was eventually shot down, though, and this leaves me with very little options to handle Yukari's Spirit spam. I have no more SP on anyone except Koa and Reimu, and Reimu is still down south.

I think this might end up with everyone but Reimu dying.

I had to suicide Momiji, but I got Yukari down to critical on her second spell. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to count this as a moral victory because I can't capture Double Black Death Butterfly. If I do, Yukari will have her action next turn and be able to use a Sense'd MAP. Which would kill Reimu, which would ruin any chances I have of getting further.

Boundary of Humans and Youkai is six turns long on Lunatic, by the way. And no fake out like with Flandre.

Also there's basically no way you can make it to every safe spot without using a bomb unless you got Unfocused Movement on every character or still have Aya alive. So I'm just going to have to waste all of my bombs.

I made it through, but it cost me everyone except Reimu and Letty. So much for doing this legitimately!

Also even if I did make it through this spell with a bomb still in stock, on Lunatic Boundary of Life and Death cuts the range by 2.

Just for fun, I'll show you what'd happen if I went for the kill. Letty suicides herself taking out Yukari's Alert,

Reimu gives it her best shot,

Yukari summons Ran,

Ran summons Chen,

Ran kills Reimu.

quote:

If this is all you have, then your story has concluded with a bad end. On the other hand, nobody wants that...

I kind of like the implication that Yukari is the one who brings everyone back after a game over. :v:

Anyway, the smart thing to do is to split the AI's attention. Letty will be the decoy, while Reimu flees out of Yukari's range.

Letty is just durable enough to survive all three hits if none of them are criticals. Save scumming helps!

And neither Ran nor Chen have Strike, so once Reimu is out of the danmaku field it's just a matter of save scumming so she keeps dodging. And she's got great odds, so it's not very bad.

Five turns to go!

And it looks like they'll be easy ones, because Reimu is far away enough that Ran and Chen's AI breaks. They'll only move one space forward a turn.

Victory!

And here are my stats for Lunatic:

Battle Results posted:

Difficulty: Lunatic
Turn Count: 211
Total Play Time: 20:15:07
Enemies Defeated: 401/442
Allies Shot Down: 74/207
Cost Used: 381/396
Total Points: 13,690,400
Total PP: 3275
Bonus WP Acquired: 255/285
Spells Captured: 25/32
Bombs Used: 26/31
Game Overs: 0

Battle Results posted:

Top Aces:
_Reimu: 1015 kills
_Marisa: 411 kills
_Alice: 382 kills:
Saves/Loads: 246/177
Upgrade Percentage (Average/Highest on one unit): 49%/50%
Spirit Commands used: 653
Skills Learned: 434

Battle Results posted:

Highest Damage Dealt: 10117 (Reimu >> Goki [Fantasy Seal])
Highest Damage Received: 11237 (Sanae >> Hourai [Summon Takeminakata])
Number of times Dai cried: 1
Number of times Koa comforted someone: 14
Sweet Potatoes eaten: 4
Total Faith Gathered: 554%

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 12, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Hieda Residence
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

Please help us free Hijiri. We need two treasures, the Pagoda and the Flying Silo.

That last one's a giant ship that was buried underground.

Oh, we saw that. Let's go to the Underworld.

I don't think that's a very good idea.

Eeeeh, if we just let them go on their own something bad might happen to them. Let's all go!

I'll try and gather some help then.

Thank you so much!

Music: Fantasy Maidens Appear!

Sakuya posted:

We're here. Thanks, all three of you.

I can't believe we have to do this again. Let's make this the last time, please!

Why use tricks when you've got me? They'd recognize me in a heartbeat.

Yeah, and then they'd only let you in, not us.

So, where is the Flying Silo?

...!

There's no doubt about it. That's the captain's ship!

There really is a ship buried here. It's like a scene straight out of an anime.

That's neither here nor there, though. What will you do now?

It would be great if we could break the seal, but...

Shou posted:

The barrier isn't all that strong, externally. We'll have to dig it out with brute force, or...
Or blow up the rock with danmaku.

I brought a snow shovel from the shrine!

And I have a rather modest shovel I borrowed from Meiling.

Everyone starts to head over, but...

...!

Everyone! Someone's coming!

Utsuho posted:

*sigh* I messed up big time. Again!
There's like, nothing I'm any good at.

Whoa, hey! I know you guys!

Ack! We've been spotted!

That's one of Satori's minions. We're in trouble!

If you're coming to the Underworld, you must be bad. I'll capture you all and hand you over to Lady Satori!

Some crows spawn in.

Eep! I knew this was a bad idea!

We can't stay here any longer. We'll have to retreat to the surface!

But...!

All we have to do is dig out the ship, right?

Yeah, why? ...Wait a minute!

Suika posted:

This thing's pretty big. Don't blame me if I rough it up some!
Heave-ho!

Suika slams the cliff.

The ship just rocked. What happened?!

No idea, but the ship's freed now. It might even be able to fly!

...Let's try it. Unzan, you hold the hull steady while I go to boost the Buddhist power. Murasa, don't hold anything back!

Roger! Here goes nothing!

Music: Fantasy Maiden Wars (Ver. PV)

Murasa posted:

It flew! It's a little dark still, though.

Bwah?! Is that a big bird?

Whoa, check it out. The ship's flying?!

Hey, I see some familiar faces!

Murasa... Ichirin...

Shou...

We can talk later, Captain. We've gotta skedaddle!

Yes, I can see that. All aboard!

We can fly again. From this deep darkness, into the future Hijiri lit up so brightly for us!

Rise, Palanquin Ship!

quote:

Fantasy Maiden Wars P: The End

Click here to watch the FMW I trailer!

------

I see you've stopped the game. Thank you for your hard work.

...It has been several months since that snowy incident. Gensokyo is approaching the end of summer.

The newly repaired Palanquin Ship is nearing its lift-off ceremony. It will soon to set sail for the sky. The hopes of both humans and youkai are riding on it... now is the time for the Palanquin Ship to soar!

Chapter 35 of Fantasy Maiden Wars I: "Surfacing".

Please play it to the end!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 16, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, if I understand that right, Yuyuko is herself the suicide beneath the cherry tree, and was trying to resurrect herself for a chat?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 16, 2015

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Mors Rattus posted:

So, if I understand that right, Yuyuko is herself the suicide beneath the cherry tree, and was trying to resurrect herself for a chat?

Yeah, the grand irony of Yuyuko's plot was that she committed suicide in real life, found life as a ghost way better for her, forgot everything that happened, and then nearly committed unsuicide out of a vague sense nostalgia for her own forgotten corpse. It's one of the more tragic backstories among Touhou characters (though it does have a few contenders).

e: also, I feel I should mention that the presentation for the last chapter is really cool. It's a small thing, but having the Saigyou Ayakashi wither away as Yukari retells her meeting with Yuyuko feels really cool when you actually play it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

In the original bullet hell games resurrecting herself would've also been a death sentence because in those games the Saigyou Ayakashi also has death-dealing powers and would've just killed a resurrected Yuyuko immediately after getting unsealed, only this time Yuyuko would eventually fade like all ghosts do because it turns out the only reason she never fades is because she's the seal on the tree herself.

But then it seems like this game kinda switches things around and now the Saigyou Ayakashi is just a normal tree that serves as a seal on Yuyuko? I don't know, she probably would've been more successful here if it weren't for incident-resolving intervention.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Golden Battler posted:

Yeah, the grand irony of Yuyuko's plot was that she committed suicide in real life, found life as a ghost way better for her, forgot everything that happened, and then nearly committed unsuicide out of a vague sense nostalgia for her own forgotten corpse. It's one of the more tragic backstories among Touhou characters (though it does have a few contenders).

To be fair, a thousand years is a long time. It's hard to remember little details like how you died.

For the record, the game was foreshadowing it with Suika's "it's easier to forget" speech and Yuyuko herself saying that she's never experienced dying before.

On the other hand Yukari's storytime is kind of an inelegant way to dump the plot on you, even if they tried to spice it up.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 16, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wow, they really turned up the melodrama for that last stage didn't they? I suppose this is the effect you get when you drop the read-me on Yuyuko's backstory into the game itself, huh. And Reimu route finally comes off looking better than Marisa's, although it's too be expected she'd have better interactions with Yukari considering they've got something of a connection. Speaking of Reimu, how the hell did she get the 2nd most kills when we never voted her in. :psyduck:

Is it just me or is it a pretty weird choice for this to end with Yuyuko still not having any idea about that girl under the tree, since a couple of the other games imply she figured it out. Suika states the whole reason she got involved in IAMP was because she thought the mist was related to her past, and the only reason she'd care is if she realizsed she'd forgotten something, and then in SRW she seemed to know their was something keeping her from entering the cycle of reincarnation and possibly reaching heaven. Just seems like kind of a weird thing to leave out, it could've even turned up the drama dial more by having her talk to Yukari about it or something.

Also, the ending scenes were all really good and the Aki's continue to be far more fun characters than their status in the bullet hells would suggest. Good to see Flan getting along with everyone, except Remilia of course, and they had some good foreshadowing in a lot of them. Yuuka's bit was especially interesting because even with my knowledge from the games i've no idea what she could've figure out.

Fantastic LP all-in-all, I really enjoyed it. So, when's FMW 3. :v:

Mors Rattus posted:

Just to add a few things about Yuyuko's ridiculously tragic backstory that people haven't said, the only reason she forgot isn't because she became a ghost or anything it's because she's the most carefree person in existence and forgot her horrible suicide as easily as one might forget what they had for breakfast the other day. Also, her character description in PCB implies she wouldn't have been able to revive the Ayakashi even if team protagonist hadn't shown up, since her power has her "only bring death". Her powers over death would pretty much prevent her from ever bringing someone back to life. She doesn't really seem to mind though.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 16, 2015

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Congrats on making it to the end! For a bit it didn't look like you were going to make it, but here you are!

I assume there's going to be a few weeks/months off before you decide if you're going to do the next part or not.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The general consensus amongst Touhou ghosts seems to be that being a ghost is awesome.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

The general consensus amongst Touhou ghosts seems to be that being a ghost is awesome.

Yeah, dunno why Yukari regrets not being able to save Yuyuko, she seems to be doing a lot better as ghost than alive.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Ghosts own. Good lp blitzblast

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Speaking of Reimu, how the hell did she get the 2nd most kills when we never voted her in. :psyduck:

The save is carried over from FMW1, remember? Also every time I did get to use Reimu she soloed at least a fourth of the enemy army. It adds up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And Reimu route finally comes off looking better than Marisa's, although it's too be expected she'd have better interactions with Yukari considering they've got something of a connection. Speaking of Reimu, how the hell did she get the 2nd most kills when we never voted her in. :psyduck:

I don't think that conversation is exclusive to Reimu's route. If you mean "Reimu finally has a reason to exist in the story" though, I can see your point.

Also, is it just me or was Yukari totally flirting with Yuyuko? The whole things comes across to me like they were lovers, not just friends. I swear I'm not a shipper.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 16, 2015

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ardeem posted:

I assume there's going to be a few weeks/months off before you decide if you're going to do the next part or not.

Already at work on it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The save is carried over from FMW1, remember? Also every time I did get to use Reimu she soloed at least a fourth of the enemy army. It adds up.

I actually forgot about that, which pretty much explains it. Still doesn't change the fact that Reimu remains a beast, despite us never picking her for the 2nd game. I imagine Marisa wouldn't do as well in the hypothetical scenario where she was hardly ever used

Clarste posted:

I don't think that conversation is exclusive to Reimu's route. If you mean "Reimu finally has a reason to exist in the story" though, I can see your point.

Also, is it just me or was Yukari totally flirting with Yuyuko? The whole things comes across to me like they were lovers, not just friends. I swear I'm not a shipper.

I meant more her dialogue before the fight begins and during the final spell, which was pretty much "yeah, this is a perfect opportunity to chat. I'm going to kick your rear end." and "I honestly don't give a crap about your feelings. I'm just going to beat you at Danmamku.". Reimu shines in situations where she really should be giving more of a poo poo than she does, and to be fair she had a reason to exist for MoF at least.

And about the dialogue, I think its pretty inevitable that in a fangame some elements of shipping are going to somehow worm their way in. It's just the nature of the Touhou fandom. Even back in FMW 1, every time Mokou got mentioned Keine basically had a whole "she's not my girlfriend" spiel. I'm just glad and a little surprised they're not giving it any focus other than incidental dialogue..

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

Clarste posted:

Then you clearly aren't a true touhou fan. BlitzBlastxKurumi forever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I meant more her dialogue before the fight begins and during the final spell, which was pretty much "yeah, this is a perfect opportunity to chat. I'm going to kick your rear end." and "I honestly don't give a crap about your feelings. I'm just going to beat you at Danmamku.". Reimu shines in situations where she really should be giving more of a poo poo than she does, and to be fair she had a reason to exist for MoF at least.

Well, clearly she gives some semblance of a crap about Yukari's feelings, since she stuck around afterward just to talk to her about them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Well, clearly she gives some semblance of a crap about Yukari's feelings, since she stuck around afterward just to talk to her about them.

Yeah, but she kicks her rear end before offering any sympathy because Reimu has good priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Continuing to utilize Blitz's thread because I know some (most?) people won't see it otherwise: streaming more Genius of Sappheiros, we're at Youkai Mountain now.

• Locked thread