Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Upwind, a sail is just an airfoil standing on it's end. Or wing root, really. The America's Cup catamarans have actual honest to god rigid wings and are capable of doing 2.5x the speed of the wind... upwind 1.8x the speed of the wind upwind, 3.4x the speed of the wind downwind

This is witchcraft as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The similarities are quite apparent, I'm just surprised people use such a janky generic engine for their simulations. It does sound quite appealing though I might have to try...

e: very pretty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwVFk5_8hnY

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 6, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I used to sail a lot in cadets. Running in a close haul hanging over the side trying to keep your boat level is fun as gently caress.

What's more fun is giving the tiller a quick yank to dunk your crew.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

darth cookie posted:

This is witchcraft as far as I'm concerned.

The 3.4x downwind, if you imagine once you're going the speed of the wind. That's like showing an indicated windspeed of 0. If you get a puff of wind above average, as is common, your hydrofoils pull the boat out of the water and now your drag is decreased, giving you an additional boost of speed. Now your indicated windspeed is positive, which if you have your sails/wings trimmed right, you're generating lift, which helps pull the boat forward, giving you a positive feedback loop as the boat pulls itself further out of the water and goes faster, generating yet more lift. Eventually the forces (mostly hydro drag on the foils and control surfaces) equalize around 20-30 knots depending on conditions.

The upwind works the same way mostly, but sailboats are most efficient going at about a 45 degree angle to the downwind direction of the wind so the synergy is a lot higher as a result.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 6, 2015

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Hey I figured I'd give this thread a shout-out before going to SA-Mart eventually. I got some flight sim stuff I'm selling to make room in my closet and to get rid of unused stuff. I got a CH Products Flight Yoke and a CH Products Throttle Quadrant that have not a lot of wear and tear on them. The quadrant literally came out of the box for a few hours and then went back in. The Yoke is missing one of the screw pieces on the bottom to secure it to the table unfortunately, that was lost in a move years ago.

What's a good price for them combined/separate? I was thinking $120 combined, $70 separate?

I plan on keeping the rest of my CH Products stuff because they're insanely good. My rudder pedals were underwater in a flood and after letting them dry, they work still no problem.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

There's always Virtual Sailor for all your nautical needs. I remember trying out a demo of it a long rear end time ago and it seemed pretty cool, they also have this Vehicle Simulator which has both boats and planes/choppers. Dunno if it's any good though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I used Sail Simulator back in like version 2 or 3, they're up to 5 now, looks like it is the most FSX-y looking one, good(ish, better than FSX anyways) real world wave interaction with the boat

https://vimeo.com/7536902

SailX is free though(!) going to give that a shot tonight. They seem to have more endoresements from the racing community despite the poorer graphics

http://www.sailx.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJHZhvISqM

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ringo Star Get posted:

Hey I figured I'd give this thread a shout-out before going to SA-Mart eventually. I got some flight sim stuff I'm selling to make room in my closet and to get rid of unused stuff. I got a CH Products Flight Yoke and a CH Products Throttle Quadrant that have not a lot of wear and tear on them. The quadrant literally came out of the box for a few hours and then went back in. The Yoke is missing one of the screw pieces on the bottom to secure it to the table unfortunately, that was lost in a move years ago.

What's a good price for them combined/separate? I was thinking $120 combined, $70 separate?

I plan on keeping the rest of my CH Products stuff because they're insanely good. My rudder pedals were underwater in a flood and after letting them dry, they work still no problem.

I'll shoot my friend a message he's been looking for this setup for a while.

edit:
he said pass he's having a rough month

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 7, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Has anyone had any experience with the DCS world mission editor?

I've been thinking about fiddling with it to try and make some fantasy, soviet mercenary in African conflicts type missions if it isn't a colossal hassle. How much hair am I going to lose trying to do that?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Although it got renamed really dumbly, here's the dcs/BMS thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

Mission making is pretty simple and easy, until you start wanting really precise placement in 3d space or start wanting to make use of the lua functions, because they constantly break them.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

guys, the non-truck/racing/flight sim thread is over here

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So I've reinstalled Prepar3d after a very long time. Is there a payware you-beaut 747 or A380 that fully supports Prepar3d yet? Willing to pay up to $100 if it's really awesome.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I think I'm gonna go looking for a plane that has a full FMC. Problem is that while I wouldn't mind something fast, I don't want something that can only go from big airport to big airport. I want something that can handle shorter fields. STOL capability would be ace. I really like the Twin Otter I bought and I can see myself flying that a lot but it'd be great to have something like the Twotter that I can cover some decent distance in.

What I really want is an Antonov AN-74 but something similar would be awesome.

Bonus points if someone can find me that one wacky jet amphibious plane with a full FMC.

EDIT: It needs to be P3D 2.5 compatible. I'm not dealing with FSX-SE's bullshit.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

I think I'm gonna go looking for a plane that has a full FMC. Problem is that while I wouldn't mind something fast, I don't want something that can only go from big airport to big airport. I want something that can handle shorter fields. STOL capability would be ace. I really like the Twin Otter I bought and I can see myself flying that a lot but it'd be great to have something like the Twotter that I can cover some decent distance in.

Bonus points if someone can find me that one wacky jet amphibious plane with a full FMC.

EDIT: It needs to be P3D 2.5 compatible. I'm not dealing with FSX-SE's bullshit.

Got $$$? Get the majestic Dash-8

Aerosoft A318/319

There is also the QualityWings BAe 146 collection which I enjoy a lot.

Those are all airliners with full FMC (the QW one is not a complete or correct replica of the real one I think) that can handle steep landings but possibly not what you are looking for.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I need this, in sim form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beriev_Be-200

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

fuckpot posted:

So I've reinstalled Prepar3d after a very long time. Is there a payware you-beaut 747 or A380 that fully supports Prepar3d yet? Willing to pay up to $100 if it's really awesome.

PMDG will have their 747 2.0 available for P3D "eventually".

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

:ussr:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

chemosh6969 posted:

Any old people remember the days of Falcon 3.0 and Hind?

I used to play Falcon all the time as a teen and will never forget the constant "flame out" alerts I'd get.

Yeah, does that mean I'm old? :( I hardly played them but they're still on my shelf. One day.. maybe when I retire.. which is still a long way off :)

I played F-15 Strike Eagle III more, and not in campaign mode, so I guess that shows I was too lazy for Falcon? Now I just don't have the time!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Buttcoin purse posted:

Yeah, does that mean I'm old? :( I hardly played them but they're still on my shelf. One day.. maybe when I retire.. which is still a long way off :)

I played F-15 Strike Eagle III more, and not in campaign mode, so I guess that shows I was too lazy for Falcon? Now I just don't have the time!

That doesn't mean you're old. If you played Falcon AT like I did, you're old! ;)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Project Tupolev Tu-154B2 :kheldragar:

It's free and fully modelled apparently. In seriousness though, you want the BAe 146.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 11, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Project Tu-154B2 is easily the best airliner available for FSX.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does it come with newspapers?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So all the things I've I've learned about FSX seem to have stemmed from 'gently caress you I fixed it' moments.

Fuel selectors bugged? gently caress you I now know how to write 2D panels.

FSX-SE break my plane? gently caress you I now know how FSX-SE can be fooled in to thinking it's the only install or a dual install.

Do a night flight in a float plane only to find that the lake isn't even in FSX? gently caress you I now know how to make scenery.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Truga posted:

Project Tu-154B2 is easily the best airliner available for FSX.

Since it turns out I lost my key for the FS Labs Concorde years ago (:smithicide:) and I have a knack for Russians, I've been contemplating learning their Tu-144D.

Contemplating in the same way one contemplates suicide, mind, but still. I like going fast.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Forums Terrorist posted:

Since it turns out I lost my key for the FS Labs Concorde years ago (:smithicide:) and I have a knack for Russians, I've been contemplating learning their Tu-144D.

Contemplating in the same way one contemplates suicide, mind, but still. I like going fast.

http://www.avsim.su/f/fsx-originalnie-samoleti-79/tu-144d-v3-5-44272.html

I found this, looks legit. I'll try it out when I have time. Didn't know this existed, thanks for mentioning it!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?86929-Flying-Supersonic-Tu-144-Charger-v3-5&highlight=tu-144d

This thread's got a lot of important info, such as the stations you need to delete/set to 0.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hey, anyone got a good weather engine for P3D? Preferably free, I don't want anything fancy. I just want to be able to pull real world weather into the sim so when I get back into VATSIM I'll have the same weather everyone else will have.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
FSsrealWX lite is good enough for me. Only issue I've had with it is 10SM vis was showing as super low for me, I couldn't see the AP till I was 3nm from it so I set it to give me 30nm when the METAR shows 10SM.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I decided to do a VFR flight from CYYC to CYEG just to get used to flying with ATC.

Of course I'm flying in the Twotter with failures on and wasnt minding my engine temperature. Lit the right one on fire.

Totally unplanned but I bet I made Edmonton Centre super happy because I was the only thing in his airspace. He was quite happy to vector me to Red Deer for an emergency landing so I could get a new plane and keep going.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I give up, are there simply like three different numbering systems for the MiG-21:s hardpoints?

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Groda posted:

I give up, are there simply like three different numbering systems for the MiG-21:s hardpoints?

They are numbered starting from the inner pylons. If you are confused about the rotary selctor switch on the top left panel, it has three sections for different weapon types. The left section is for bombs and rockets, the top one is for GROMs (big missles that are meant to be used against stationary ground targets and ships), and the right/bottom section is for all your different AA missles. The numbering always stays the same.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Vivick posted:

They are numbered starting from the inner pylons. If you are confused about the rotary selctor switch on the top left panel, it has three sections for different weapon types. The left section is for bombs and rockets, the top one is for GROMs (big missles that are meant to be used against stationary ground targets and ships), and the right/bottom section is for all your different AA missles. The numbering always stays the same.

Well, that and the Rearm and Refuel interface...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Vivick posted:

The top section is for S-24s too iirc.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Groda posted:

No, there are just pylons 1 through 4, but at a guess you are probably getting confused by the weapon selection dial. Here, I made this for you:

Forums Terrorist posted:

The top section is for S-24s too iirc.
Yep, Guess what "C-24" is. ;)

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 14, 2015

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Has anyone else had trouble getting TrackIR to work with P3D? Everything says that it's up to date, and I can see P3D in the list of TrackIR profiles, but P3D acts as if TrackIR's not installed at all. I have the TrackIR program running before I start P3D, and TrackIR shows that it's detecting my movements accurately, but no joy in the program.

Any suggestions?

Edit: vvvv Thanks!

Edit2: and in case anyone else is as confused as I am, it looks like you need to install Simconnect from Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib -- there are a few other Simconnect installers in other directories, and clicking on them didn't do anything for me.

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 14, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

You need to install FSUIPC or SimConnect, one of the two. I had the same issue.

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Do any modern sims tackle bombers like B-17 The Mighty Eighth did? I've been hankering for flying in a straight line and back again with 109s and 190s trying to kill me.

Though it features none of the combat or proper bomb dropping like The Mighty Eight does the A2A B-17 is worth a look if a study sim of the airframe itself is appealing. Been buzzing around in it a lot lately and it's a ton of fun to fly! It's got the accu-sim treatment so there's a bunch of really nifty details like tuning into radio stations from the 40's during flight and persistent airframes.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

yeah I really like the A2A 377

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The A2A 377 is extremely cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I can't even taxi the stupid thing..

https://www.gog.com/game/b_17_flying_fortress_the_mighty_8th