Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Spent some time tweaking the suspension last night, going to race again tonight. Know what should help a lot? Not having a shitload of toe-out on the front :downs:

I must have been hurting for turn-in when I last raced 10 years ago because that is definitely not the problem now.

The VTA tyres will last about two rounds if you have too much toe :D

Seriously I think I go through two or three sets of fronts before having to replace the rears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jonathan posted:

https://goo.gl/maps/JZqio

This view is old, there is an undercover drivers stage etc. The facility is fenced off and gated, and anyone who joins the GPMRA club gets a combo to the lock. They run races 2x a week but you can go anytime before 9pm and use it by yourself if you want.

drat that's cool as hell and pretty drat convenient. I don't think have anything like that here.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Went drag racing last night with the local Traxxas funny car league and good golly is it so much fun. Most of the guys in it are ex 1:1 drag racers and holy poo poo are they great on the tree. They were eating my lunch.

In other news I finally pulled the trigger on a Vaterra Ascender kit to use for some big squid articles and I'm pretty pumped. I've wanted one since they were announced but figured their would be some early bugs. There were (bad diff gears) and the new kits all have the stout HD replacements. Now, how to paint it?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Went drag racing last night with the local Traxxas funny car league and good golly is it so much fun. Most of the guys in it are ex 1:1 drag racers and holy poo poo are they great on the tree. They were eating my lunch.

In other news I finally pulled the trigger on a Vaterra Ascender kit to use for some big squid articles and I'm pretty pumped. I've wanted one since they were announced but figured their would be some early bugs. There were (bad diff gears) and the new kits all have the stout HD replacements. Now, how to paint it?

Pro tree or sportsman tree ? I was always good on a pro tree but was lovely on a sportman.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

jonathan posted:

Pro tree or sportsman tree ? I was always good on a pro tree but was lovely on a sportman.

It's actually sportsman. I'm pretty good on a pro tree but sportsman has me all screwed up. I'm either going red or have an R/T so slow that I could eat a sandwich on the line. There is no in between it seems. I just can't get a feeling for it. Pro tree is just BANG and its all good. Sportsman feels like Mario Kart (of which I always gently caress up as well!).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

The VTA tyres will last about two rounds if you have too much toe :D

Seriously I think I go through two or three sets of fronts before having to replace the rears

How long are your heats / how many heats per round do you get in?

I've only done a couple of Thursday night races so far, which is just one heat + one main, at 4 minutes each (plus practice time) and the tires feel like they're actually much better with some wear in them.

I'm still getting used to how little work there is to do between races with lipos and brushless. I spend 30 seconds brushing the dirt off of it and then the rest is just debating how to try and make the rear hook a bit harder.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tire note for scalers/crawlers: I just picked up a set of lil' nova dual density foams for my SXC10 with RC4WD Challenger tires and they make a huge difference on the rocks. Normally the challengers will deform enough on extreme side hills that the rim will almost touch. With the foams in they still conform to rocks nicely, but don't have such extreme sidewall flex.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

powderific posted:

Tire note for scalers/crawlers: I just picked up a set of lil' nova dual density foams for my SXC10 with RC4WD Challenger tires and they make a huge difference on the rocks. Normally the challengers will deform enough on extreme side hills that the rim will almost touch. With the foams in they still conform to rocks nicely, but don't have such extreme sidewall flex.

Yep, I've been spoiled by Crawler Innovations closed cells as well. It's crazy how much different the vehicles behave. How do you like the Challengers? I'm deciding on what rubber to put on the new Ascender.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like them. My goal was to find tires that looked scale with "normal" sized tread blocks but weren't too much taller/shorter than the stock ripsaws. The Challengers were the only ones that seemed to tick all my boxes. Smaller treads, of course, don't self clean well/at all in the mud, but they seem just as grippy as the ripsaws on rock. They also look perfect on my g-made beadlocks.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How do I keep my 2wd slash from pitching nose to the sky when I jump into a headwind ?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

jonathan posted:

How do I keep my 2wd slash from pitching nose to the sky when I jump into a headwind ?

You can control airborne attitude with throttle. Brake while airborne, it'll bring the nose down.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nerobro posted:

You can control airborne attitude with throttle. Brake while airborne, it'll bring the nose down.

Seems like the 4wd do that easily. To keep the nose down with mine I almost have to be on the brakes before leaving the ground.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My mate on holiday in Japan should be able to grab me a Kyosho Mini-Z while he's out there. Yay for midget RCs! :neckbeard:

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
Added some lights to my Yeti XL.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What did you use for the lights? I'm looking to put some on my RTR.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

My mate on holiday in Japan should be able to grab me a Kyosho Mini-Z while he's out there. Yay for midget RCs! :neckbeard:
Woo! Looks like I'm getting an Aston DB9 on the MR-03 chassis, and an McLaren 12C bodyset to swap onto it if I like. He got himself an R32 GT-R and a BRZ bodyset. :toot:

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

slidebite posted:

What did you use for the lights? I'm looking to put some on my RTR.

I ordered the following:

Axial light bucket and lens kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301157043328?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Axial simple controller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301260515120?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Single strand LED lights 5mm extra bright.
http://www.mytrickrc.com/shop/uf-7-controller/

The Axial controller comes with lights but the white LED's are 4 linked together in a chain. I had 2 left over single strand LED's from My Trick RC for my last build and just used those. Less wires and everything fits into the rear accessory box on the chassis. I ran the wires through the front bulkhead. You will need 2 M3 screws to mount the light buckets to the front bumper which are not included.

The Axial controller has 2 connectors to plug in lights I used a single strand light in each one.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

jonathan posted:

Seems like the 4wd do that easily. To keep the nose down with mine I almost have to be on the brakes before leaving the ground.

Loading the suspension before the jump helps too. Especially with little kickers.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

How long are your heats / how many heats per round do you get in?

I've only done a couple of Thursday night races so far, which is just one heat + one main, at 4 minutes each (plus practice time) and the tires feel like they're actually much better with some wear in them.

I'm still getting used to how little work there is to do between races with lipos and brushless. I spend 30 seconds brushing the dirt off of it and then the rest is just debating how to try and make the rear hook a bit harder.
VTA runs 2x 8 min rounds at my club. You feel tired after the race, especially if there is some close racing. Sadly I have found out my battery packs drop off badly after 5 mins, like dropping half a second a lap. Mo batteries, mo money :(

Yeah, Lipos and brushless motors are great. No more discharging and balancing NIMH packs, and no need to clean out the comm on motors.

In regards to the rear, maybe stand the shocks up one hole on the shock tower.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

For all of you who suggested Honcho, thanks :) Its a TON of fun (and I'm trying to get the wife addicted, and its working).
Haven't gone too far off the beaten path, but I've torn up the back yard and my neighborhood. Plasti-dipped the electronics, marine greased all the bearings, and I think I might hunt down a few easy trails this weekend.

But, that being said, I'm looking for input/advice. Has anyone here built their own crawler/scaling course? I've got massive back yard, and permission to build something. I've found all kinds of ideas for short-track courses, but not a ton for a more crawler/scale oriented type of track. If you guys have any resources/ideas/etc, please share!

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Siochain posted:

But, that being said, I'm looking for input/advice. Has anyone here built their own crawler/scaling course? I've got massive back yard, and permission to build something. I've found all kinds of ideas for short-track courses, but not a ton for a more crawler/scale oriented type of track. If you guys have any resources/ideas/etc, please share!

I'm starting to do something similar in my back yard.

I got a bunch of ideas from this guy's youtube videos. He even has some on crawler course design and shows his setups.

https://www.youtube.com/user/djmedic2008/

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Siochain posted:

For all of you who suggested Honcho, thanks :) Its a TON of fun (and I'm trying to get the wife addicted, and its working).
Haven't gone too far off the beaten path, but I've torn up the back yard and my neighborhood. Plasti-dipped the electronics, marine greased all the bearings, and I think I might hunt down a few easy trails this weekend.

Yes, I've built my own and ran some pretty big meets on it. Here are some shots from one of the events we had at my area - http://www.bigsquidrc.com/event-coverage-show-me-scalers-top-truck-challenge/.

We used rock (duh) and got a bunch of wood for obstacles thanks to some pallets I had access to. We made all sorts of stuff from them. We then put a big mud pit at the end of the crawling course. It was a blast when we were doing big comps with 50+ trucks, but it got old fast. Soon we all just did trail runs (much more fun on the whole).

My advice to you is go easy on the course, at least at first. Doing a small one for testing / playing around is cool but I've found that doing a giant one really isn't worth it unless you plan on routinely holding comps there. After you run them a few times by yourself they just aren't as fun as hitting up a crazy trail, and you can bust your back moving rock. I'd start small and go from there. Just make sure you have a permanent spot! Moving literal tons of rock sucks. I had a bunch of help when I was building it. After I had to move it thanks to the property owner no longer wanting it I had hardly any volunteers step up. It was a real pain in the rear end. Ugh, my back is sore just thinking about that.

Seriously man, go hit up some trails. That's when scaling will really grab you.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Tindjin posted:

I'm starting to do something similar in my back yard.

I got a bunch of ideas from this guy's youtube videos. He even has some on crawler course design and shows his setups.

https://www.youtube.com/user/djmedic2008/

Yep, I've been watching RCSparks for a month now. Medic is frickin awesome - the guy makes great videos.

My advice to you is go easy on the course, at least at first. Doing a small one for testing / playing around is cool but I've found that doing a giant one really isn't worth it unless you plan on routinely holding comps there. After you run them a few times by yourself they just aren't as fun as hitting up a crazy trail, and you can bust your back moving rock. I'd start small and go from there. Just make sure you have a permanent spot! Moving literal tons of rock sucks. I had a bunch of help when I was building it. After I had to move it thanks to the property owner no longer wanting it I had hardly any volunteers step up. It was a real pain in the rear end. Ugh, my back is sore just thinking about that.

Seriously man, go hit up some trails. That's when scaling will really grab you.

Yeah, we have a ton out here, and I'm going to - but I want to put something smallish and fun up. I've got tons of lumber, and was thinking of going more lumber/mud/dirt/gravel then large rocks. I'll get a few (I can just walk around and grab huge rocks), but I'll keep it fairly portable. I've also got some old tires and firewood, so I think I can make a fun, varied course. Plus then I can hopefully find some other RC-minded people in my lovely-small-town and get some comps going, or just fun days.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Siochain posted:

Yep, I've been watching RCSparks for a month now. Medic is frickin awesome - the guy makes great videos.

Yeah, we have a ton out here, and I'm going to - but I want to put something smallish and fun up. I've got tons of lumber, and was thinking of going more lumber/mud/dirt/gravel then large rocks. I'll get a few (I can just walk around and grab huge rocks), but I'll keep it fairly portable. I've also got some old tires and firewood, so I think I can make a fun, varied course. Plus then I can hopefully find some other RC-minded people in my lovely-small-town and get some comps going, or just fun days.

Stuff that flexes out the suspension is always fun. I would skip the mud. Tough on parts, gets everywhere. Crazy up/down obstacles that causes the vehicle to articulate is the entertaining stuff.

Tried a new suspension setup last night. Using topcad parts from asiatees, with HPI savage dampers. Also did all the steering, knuckle and lockout components in orange anodized aluminium. Only issue is the springs are way too stiff, and the shocks have a ton of friction in them. I pulled them apart, drained the oil and half filled the shocks with thin oil. Still not loose enough. Maybe they need to be worked a bit ? Also I need some really soft springs. Anyone know where I could get a custom spring ?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I had RC carnage tonight. I took my Micro DT out, and melted the pinion off the motor. It seems "hot" is normal for these things.

It's not nearly as quick as I would have expected it to be on a 2s LiPo... I think it's time to go brushless.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

jonathan posted:

Stuff that flexes out the suspension is always fun. I would skip the mud. Tough on parts, gets everywhere. Crazy up/down obstacles that causes the vehicle to articulate is the entertaining stuff.

Tried a new suspension setup last night. Using topcad parts from asiatees, with HPI savage dampers. Also did all the steering, knuckle and lockout components in orange anodized aluminium. Only issue is the springs are way too stiff, and the shocks have a ton of friction in them. I pulled them apart, drained the oil and half filled the shocks with thin oil. Still not loose enough. Maybe they need to be worked a bit ? Also I need some really soft springs. Anyone know where I could get a custom spring ?

Holy christ, that is insane flex.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

T1g4h posted:

Holy christ, that is insane flex.

Haha yeah, but that's without coil springs. Once I have springs in it, it won't be heavy enough to flex like that. Still lots of axle travel for jumps though.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Got the parts I needed to fix the linkage on my XV-01, so I took it over to the softball field to celebrate.

Serious fun, I'd love to get a couple people together and set up cones or something.

Question, though, how tight should I be setting the belt on this thing? I had it turn inside-out once, and then jump clear off the rear pulley and get all jammed up front after like 45 minutes of power-sliding around. Any rule of thumb I should be following here?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

I have no answers for you, but just want to comment (I think again) how loving stellar your car looks :) Goddamn awesome paint job.

Also, had a blast tonight. Went out with the wife and the dog and the Honcho. Didn't really trail, just ran it along side us, but went through some ditches, over some dirt piles, crawled a few rocks, etc.

Have a bearing making a squeak, but as soon as I pick the truck up to listen, doesn't happen anymore. So I'll blast everything with lube again, clean out the grass I picked up, and see if it helps. What a loving good time though, made my weekend so far :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Siochain posted:

Awesome to hear how much fun you are having with your Honcho. It is easily the car that I drive the most out of the ~15 that I have. A few months ago I got lost on the internet looking up cool scale crawling courses and parks. Here are a mess load of links for your enjoyment/inspiration:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-scale-talk/509193-welcome-smiggins-folly.html
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-accessories/290964-n00b-done-built-everything-7.html
Wolf Creek Park 1
Wolf Creek page 12 for updates
a freaking jungle hut
http://wolfcreekrcpark.com
More scale building madness

You can also go lurk at the Scale Builders Guild forums. Pretty interesting stuff those guys are pumping out.

Yeti XL Kit is heading my way and should arrive next week. I am freaking stoked to scratch the itch that I have had to build something. I am thinking for electronics I will be using the Mamba Monster ESC, Axial 2200v motor (because the CC green one us ugly and the Axial motor will match Axial upgrades better) along with a Hitec brushless servo of some sort.

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS

Siochain posted:

I have no answers for you, but just want to comment (I think again) how loving stellar your car looks :) Goddamn awesome paint job.

Also, had a blast tonight. Went out with the wife and the dog and the Honcho. Didn't really trail, just ran it along side us, but went through some ditches, over some dirt piles, crawled a few rocks, etc.

Have a bearing making a squeak, but as soon as I pick the truck up to listen, doesn't happen anymore. So I'll blast everything with lube again, clean out the grass I picked up, and see if it helps. What a loving good time though, made my weekend so far :)

Going for walks is awesome with these things. This February my house had one Stampede 2WD. Right now we still have the 2WD, a brushless Stampede 4WD, a Wraith, 3 SCX10s, and a 1/10 Yeti. My kids and I go for long walks in the woods and my son, who drives the brushless 4WD, is always encouraging me to "take the hard way" on the trails where multiple routes present themselves. Trailing has drawn my family together during the recent passing of my wife to cancer. It's become an excellent hobby for us.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Whiskey posted:

Going for walks is awesome with these things. This February my house had one Stampede 2WD. Right now we still have the 2WD, a brushless Stampede 4WD, a Wraith, 3 SCX10s, and a 1/10 Yeti. My kids and I go for long walks in the woods and my son, who drives the brushless 4WD, is always encouraging me to "take the hard way" on the trails where multiple routes present themselves. Trailing has drawn my family together during the recent passing of my wife to cancer. It's become an excellent hobby for us.

Real sorry to hear about your wife, that's terrible. Being able to bring people together with something fun and simple has got to help. We have a number of parks around here with multi-purpose trails, so we can get into pretty much anything.

Last week, there were three of us, and a family came through, and their son was fascinated with my friend's Honcho, so he handed him the controller and said have fun. Before heading off, his parents asked where to buy something like that because it seems like a good way to get him up off the couch.

Siochain posted:

Thanks a lot! I enjoy painting the clear polycarbonate bodies. I'm actually working on a new body for my scx10, though it's going to be a little more simple than the Tamiya.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Scale Mazda 787B crawler with team renown livery (of course) with roof rack, beer cooler and "911 was an inside job" bumper sticker.

I just woke up.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Speaking of crawlers, I got this poor jacked up thing

Losi 1/18 MRC. It's had a hard life and some really weird ineffective homegrown mods done to it. Still, even with upper links hitting the shocks and the wheels rubbing on everything, puffed up lipo, etc it's a blast. I'm going to at least give it new shocks, rebuild the servo mount/4 link plates and probably make some bent lower links. I already picked up a much smaller battery for it. It desperately needs less flex and steering mods.

I don't have any plans of doing comps, and I don't think anybody does 1.9" these days anyway.

Mostly, it's fun to just crawl around my apartment.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Whiskey posted:

First off, sorry to hear about your wife. Cancer's a loving asshat :(

But, glad you and the kids have found a way to get closer together. Absolutely awesome, and I hope you and your kids enjoy it for years to come :)

And Somewhat Heroic, thanks for the links. Albeit Wolfcreek is what I've got in my, head, I'm more likely to end up with Smiggin's Folly (if I pulled that off I'd be ecstatic).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah condolences on your wife, but congrats on this great relationship potential with your children.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Memories of building and running r/c cars with my dad is why I keep coming back to this hobby.

My parts to convert my nitro lst xxl to electric came in today. Unfortunately it probably won't be neat and easy, especially since I'm doing this for the first time. I might still have to wait for The Dude to get more parts in stock (single speed conversion and motor mount) if what I ordered doesn't work. And then I need to figure out how to mount the battery trays...

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sorry to hear about your wife, Whiskey. As others have said at least you can take a small positive away from a terrible situation. Trailing is an interesting thing where I've seen it used as a family bonding activity quite often. It's that nice mix of being laid back and getting outdoors, with spikes of excitement should you want to tackle something nutty.

I finished my Vaterra Ascender over the weekend and it turned out even better than i expected. The problem is now I'm dreading comping with it next Sunday. I guess I need to just get the rock rash over with :(. It's funny how you can go trailing for months and outside of some mud and minor scuffs the vehicle will still look in great shape. Go hardcore crawling for 15 minutes and your rig will look like it was run against a cheese grater.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Sorry to hear about your wife, Whiskey. As others have said at least you can take a small positive away from a terrible situation. Trailing is an interesting thing where I've seen it used as a family bonding activity quite often. It's that nice mix of being laid back and getting outdoors, with spikes of excitement should you want to tackle something nutty.

I finished my Vaterra Ascender over the weekend and it turned out even better than i expected. The problem is now I'm dreading comping with it next Sunday. I guess I need to just get the rock rash over with :(. It's funny how you can go trailing for months and outside of some mud and minor scuffs the vehicle will still look in great shape. Go hardcore crawling for 15 minutes and your rig will look like it was run against a cheese grater.

Looks awesome. Is the window trim painted on or stickers? There's a lot to be said for the realistic front grille as well.

btw: where can I get some of those BigSquid stickers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

an AOL chatroom posted:

Looks awesome. Is the window trim painted on or stickers? There's a lot to be said for the realistic front grille as well.

btw: where can I get some of those BigSquid stickers?

Thanks. Kudos to Vaterra on doing the lexan body using a plastic grill. It really makes it look much better than a standard decal. And those window trims are included stickers.

You can PM me your mailing address for Big Squid stickers and I'll shoot you a pack. That goes for anyone here btw :)