Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Isnt that what this is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

It's gold. I liked Blue because I'd swap between it and RBF600 - made it easy to tell if I had a complete bleed since I only run brake fluid for one day.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 11, 2015

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Don't ATE have Super Gold now?

They always did, the idea was to switch from blue to gold so you knew when your system was flushed. They were the same except for the color

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Neptr posted:

They always did, the idea was to switch from blue to gold so you knew when your system was flushed. They were the same except for the color

Yeah, but the wanna be racers always forgot about that. Super blue always seemed a bit more expensive than the gold for that reason.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Neptr posted:

I thought it was blue and clear, not blue and gold. Maybe I'm wrong, because I was one of the wanna be racers who forgot that part. ;)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I thought it was blue and clear, not blue and gold. Maybe I'm wrong, because I was one of the wanna be racers who forgot that part. ;)

It is yellowish.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Amber.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
light straw :v:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Whats a pretty summer fun/track tire for a ~2800 lbs car?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wrar posted:

Street legal or no?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Street legal for sure. Also RWD and ~300hp.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wrar posted:

R-S3 is usually the cheapest, I haven't tried the Version 2 yet; amazing lateral grip, kinda squishy under braking. Z2s are fast but you need to drive to the tire and will wear quickly if you push it around. Rival S should basically be a tad slower than an NT01 and behave similarly.

What size wheel?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Federal 595 RS-R

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Has anyone competed in any of the AER events yet?

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

sig11 posted:

I think you can import a CSV into the AIM tools. Race Studio is pretty nice software: http://www.aimsports.com/software/index.html

AIM tools are crap but they're the big players in the game. I have a brand spanking new MXL2 in my car. From their product page...

"Freely configurable pages" - Has one page layout you can select some but not all inputs to display in fixed slots. No track map (useless feature but it is advertised and does not exist).
"Expand the system" - Firmware not available yet.
"Race Studio 3" - Kind of works, the analysis package is still v2, not the one on the site.
"WiFi" - Doesn't work at all. Firmware update "soon".

Split calculation still doesn't work. Predictive lap timer started working after the last patch.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So Miller might not be going away, from what I've heard it seems like the county would like to keep the place open as a racetrack.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What is the go-to but reasonably priced tire gauge?

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

BlackMK4 posted:

I use this one:

http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1716&prodid=7309&pagetitle=Deluxe+2+%C2%BD%E2%80%9D+GID+Tire+Gauge+0-60+by+%C2%BD+lb

I see quite a few of them around when I am at the track.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone coming to track day June 29th at The RIDGE? Outside of olympia.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

This'n: http://www.amazon.com/Joes-Racing-32307-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B00404WDUC

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank you two. :) I guess I'll go with the Joe's one since it's half the price.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
If anybody is coming to Pocono on July 11, I'll be there!!

Here's my report from NJMP Thunderbolt: the day was plagued with late starts and really fearful driving that gave us some painfully slow sessions. By the third session I got a lot of open track and had several good laps. A bad rear end in a top hat was black flagged and kicked out for deciding to do open passing in the novice session, in his 700-800rwhp Corvette. He also almost hit me at 100mph.

In the 4th session, my turbo outlet hose blew and the car wouldn't boost (obviously), so I was forced to retire.

A weird track day that was fun in parts.

On the plus side, my brakes were great and the car ran really well (until it didn't!)

That's me in the black wingless STi. Image not inlined because huge.

http://i.imgur.com/N97t8xo.jpg

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 17, 2015

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
I'm thinking about putting together a Chumpcar team for a race this fall, and was wondering what a realistic figure would be as far as cost. At least two of us likely involved run sprint cars, so we should be good on safety equipment, pit equipment, etc, but as for the car itself, what are we looking at for investment? I'm dying to do a little road racing, and this seems like the most cost-effective way to go have some fun. Any other advice/ideas is greatly appreciated.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Outlaw Mailman posted:

I'm thinking about putting together a Chumpcar team for a race this fall, and was wondering what a realistic figure would be as far as cost. At least two of us likely involved run sprint cars, so we should be good on safety equipment, pit equipment, etc, but as for the car itself, what are we looking at for investment? I'm dying to do a little road racing, and this seems like the most cost-effective way to go have some fun. Any other advice/ideas is greatly appreciated.

We used to have a dedicated chump/lemons thread but it looks like it's slipped into the archives. Chump is fun but prepping a car is very time consuming and isn't cheap. You may want to look at renting a seat, not sure where you are but I can recommend North Loop Motorsports.

As far as actual costs... We average $1000 a weekend which goes to registration, fuel and consumables. That's doesn't include hotel, travel costs or food. When we started we didn't have anything as far as pit equipment, fuel jugs or a clue wtf we were doing. Total cost for buying pit stuff and building the car to get to our first event was very close to $10k. There are teams who have done it for less but that seems to be a pretty average number from the teams I've talked to.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or anything.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Hop on a plane to Texas tomorrow morning for this weekends World Racing League race at Texas World Speedway. We're running the 2.9 mile road course configuration.

Last I heard there are 88 cars registered, the area is under a flood warning with a 60% chance of thunderstorms from 8am Saturday to 8pm Sunday. We've never run the track before...should be interesting.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

At what point do you folks replace consumables? I looked at my track pads today after my latest session, and the thinnest pads (outboard front, all rears) are at about 1/4". Thin enough to replace? Also my rear tires are just reaching the wear bars, though the fronts have some more meat on them. Time to replace the full set, or would you do another track day on them still?

E: Just priced out new XP-10s. More expensive than a track day :20bux: :20bux:

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 14, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Pads kind of depend on the track, something like RA will destroy pads where others aren't as bad. Keep in mind the more material on the pad the better they will dissipate heat. You could probably run 1/4" pads in the rear but I'd be kind of wary about running them in front.

Tires for track days I run down to the wear bars or a little more but keep a close eye on them and know they will be absolute poo poo in the rain.

A lot depends on how much track time, how hard you're going to run and what track for that stuff. If you'll be out for 1-2 hours max you're pry safe, if it's an open day I'd replace stuff or bring replacements to swap out at lunch.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Thanks for the info. My next track day is 8 hours of open track time, so I bought a new set of pads. I'll get new tires after this track day, then swap back to the old pads for some HPDE, which should be no more than 2 hours of track time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone going to The Ridge June 29?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone going to The Ridge June 29?

Which group is running it? i wish i could afford to get on the track right now

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Which group is running it? i wish i could afford to get on the track right now

VCMC is. Here's the link for reg, I think it's still got some openings.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
For a multilink rear suspension, the more the rear trailing arm is angled up towards the back of the car, the less anti squat, correct?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
This is gonna sound pretty silly but: how does one not get lost on an autocross course? Based on in car video I've watched, it seems like there are so many places where the next waypoint doesn't necessarily follow well from the previous gate.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Roman Rambo posted:

This is gonna sound pretty silly but: how does one not get lost on an autocross course? Based on in car video I've watched, it seems like there are so many places where the next waypoint doesn't necessarily follow well from the previous gate.

you walk the course usually

and still get lost

and watch other people on the course

and then determine 4 minutes of seat time in second gear isn't worth shagging cones all day long on hot blacktop

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Haha. I'm giving it my first shot tomorrow. I had made that same determination as you a while ago and stuck to track days, but I figure I should at least try this once to know for sure.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
I managed to keep all 4 wheels on the kart this time, allowing me to take out the round win last weekend!

Here's some close racing with 3 other guys all day.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Some of the Sheep posted:

I managed to keep all 4 wheels on the kart this time, allowing me to take out the round win last weekend!

Here's some close racing with 3 other guys all day.

That's killer. I started to look at karting a month back, realistically are there karts that a 6'2" person fits into or do you have to be a shorter guy?

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

VelociBacon posted:

That's killer. I started to look at karting a month back, realistically are there karts that a 6'2" person fits into or do you have to be a shorter guy?

You're not going to be as comfy as a 5'10" fellow, but it wouldn't be a problem. In this video kart 97 is being driven by a fellow who is about 6'4".

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Father's Day weekend for the last 10 years or more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VvL_bbVjR0

I am not the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just got back from that track day at The Ridge. What an amazing track! Had a blast.