Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Or use curl, because it's 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

the nicker posted:

you could try 'apt-get clean' and then maybe try installing with --reinstall to force it

I ended up just doing a work around in the mean time but this did end up fixing it. Thanks.

I have another problem though: setting up a bind server.

[

I have set my zone files into /var/named. At first bind didn't like that so I gave pretty much everything full permission to everything in everything. This isn't enough I guess though because my log is still saying I don't have permission to change directories.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Methanar posted:

I ended up just doing a work around in the mean time but this did end up fixing it. Thanks.

I have another problem though: setting up a bind server.

[

I have set my zone files into /var/named. At first bind didn't like that so I gave pretty much everything full permission to everything in everything. This isn't enough I guess though because my log is still saying I don't have permission to change directories.

ls -ld /var/named

And what user is bind running as? Named?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I haven't changed the default bind user.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Methanar posted:

Are you sure bind isn't running chrooted? Can you paste your bind startup script?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Methanar posted:

I don't know who the default bind user is on whatever distro you're using. Probably named. Maybe bind. Try looking at /etc/passwd

chown named:named /var/named

Are you using bind-chroot?

Also, that chmod was incredibly stupid. If you've done other things like this, you should just wipe it and re-image the SD card, then start from scratch.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I know the chmod was incredibly stupid. I just did it to illustrate how everything had full permission. Now that I can turn on properly I unfucked the permissions.

Turns out it was being chrooted. I've removed that now and it works, but will this cause me any problems later on? As in, was it being chrooted by default for a reason?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Methanar posted:

I know the chmod was incredibly stupid. I just did it to illustrate how everything had full permission. Now that I can turn on properly I unfucked the permissions.

Turns out it was being chrooted. I've removed that now and it works, but will this cause me any problems later on? As in, was it being chrooted by default for a reason?

nah don't worry about it, especially if this is just something at your house and not opened directly to the internet. chroot can be a pain in the rear end

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Methanar posted:

Bind gets chrooted by default because it's historically been a terrible security nightmare that didn't drop privileges.

If it's running, you're fine.

But in general, "chmod -R ...." is a bad fix for anything and will break other stuff.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
well, the first w10 build is out for rpi:

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupRPI.htm

no gui to speak of, not surprising.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

E: wrong thread

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 30, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the current hotness for an RHEL based Linux for the original Pi? I've got a few Raspbian nodes at home right now but I much prefer RHEL to Debian so I'd like to switch these over. I've tried Pidora and it felt kind of flaky so I went back to Raspbian. I noticed that Redsleeve has a 7 and 7.1 build but their main site hasn't been updated since 2012 or something. The user list seems to be somewhat active so I think I might give that one a try. They've even got an EPEL arm branch which is good.

These nodes aren't doing anything special. One is my LDAP server for WiFi and SSO into vCenter, one is a syslog collector with a Splunk forwarder so I mean if the RHEL distros just plain suck then I'll suck it up and stick with Raspbian but if it turns out they don't then I'll probably be switching.

I guess I'm going to try to it anyway so this is mainly me just pinging people for personal opinions.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Martytoof posted:

What's the current hotness for an RHEL based Linux for the original Pi? I've got a few Raspbian nodes at home right now but I much prefer RHEL to Debian so I'd like to switch these over. I've tried Pidora and it felt kind of flaky so I went back to Raspbian. I noticed that Redsleeve has a 7 and 7.1 build but their main site hasn't been updated since 2012 or something. The user list seems to be somewhat active so I think I might give that one a try. They've even got an EPEL arm branch which is good.

These nodes aren't doing anything special. One is my LDAP server for WiFi and SSO into vCenter, one is a syslog collector with a Splunk forwarder so I mean if the RHEL distros just plain suck then I'll suck it up and stick with Raspbian but if it turns out they don't then I'll probably be switching.

I guess I'm going to try to it anyway so this is mainly me just pinging people for personal opinions.

ARM was not a targeted architecture, and ARMv5 isn't even targeted by Fedora. yum isn't very happy on systems with limited memory anyway.

I'd probably just stick with Raspbian and get a Pi 2 if you want an EL distro.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I recently moved in with some friends and hooked my original model pi up on their network, but it seems like every time the internet drops for a second here the pi doesn't reconnect properly. i can't ssh into it without power cycling it first, but can still access the shared external harddrive I have attached to it.

Any ideas on what might fix that?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No idea, but does dmesg or /var/log/messages give you any clues?

evol262 posted:

ARM was not a targeted architecture, and ARMv5 isn't even targeted by Fedora. yum isn't very happy on systems with limited memory anyway.

I'd probably just stick with Raspbian and get a Pi 2 if you want an EL distro.

Good call. I'll probably stick with *bian for the Pi and I'll go with the 2 for EL.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

Dr. Dos posted:

I recently moved in with some friends and hooked my original model pi up on their network, but it seems like every time the internet drops for a second here the pi doesn't reconnect properly. i can't ssh into it without power cycling it first, but can still access the shared external harddrive I have attached to it.

Any ideas on what might fix that?

I have a friend with the same issue with his rpi wireless. He used a cronjob every 5 minutes that tries to ping his gateway. If it doesn't get a response, it takes the wireless card down, sleeps 10 seconds, and brings it back up. You could try that and see if it helps. His was wifi issue though, not wired.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FormatAmerica posted:

well, the first w10 build is out for rpi:

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupRPI.htm

no gui to speak of, not surprising.

Is it just me or is the download link not working for that?

http://connect.microsoft.com/windowsembeddedIoT/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=57782

It looks like they've pulled it. If I lop off some of those URL folders to go to the embedded homepage it's no longer listed.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is it just me or is the download link not working for that?

http://connect.microsoft.com/windowsembeddedIoT/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=57782

It looks like they've pulled it. If I lop off some of those URL folders to go to the embedded homepage it's no longer listed.

Still working ok for me, redistribution is against the tos otherwise I'd host it.

e: i should say, it's turning out to be QUITE impressive. lots of usb devices supported ootb, many of the universal app apis supported, a few different gui options congruent with universal app stuff. It's more like a windows computer than it isn't, I'm digging it.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 11, 2015

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FormatAmerica posted:

Still working ok for me, redistribution is against the tos otherwise I'd host it.

e: i should say, it's turning out to be QUITE impressive. lots of usb devices supported ootb, many of the universal app apis supported, a few different gui options congruent with universal app stuff. It's more like a windows computer than it isn't, I'm digging it.

Then I must not have permission to view it. I have one of the Insider accounts, but whatever version of that I have must not extend to the Raspberry Pi download.

EDIT: and that was the reason and now I have it. I figured the same developer account to download Windows Phone updates worked for this and it doesn't.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 11, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
This is not directly Raspberry Pi related but right now there's a Kickstarter for a Raspberry Pi-class ARM dev board that is only $9 called the CHIP. It's based on a to-be-released refresh of the AllWinner A13 called the R8 with a 1 GHz single-core ARM Cortex A8 and Mali 400 graphics. The board will have 512 MB of RAM, 4GB eMMC flash storage, audio in/out, composite video out, WiFi (b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0, and a built-in battery controller. What I'm most interested in is an accessory board called the PocketCHIP with a battery, touchscreen display, and hardware qwerty keyboard for $49 (with a CHIP board included).

Compared to the Pi it's missing HDMI (without an additional add-on board), an SD card slot, and Ethernet and it only has 1 USB host port (though the micro USB port supports OTG). AllWinner doesn't exactly have the best open-source reputation in case that bothers you although the people running the Kickstarter claim the board will be able to run "mainline" Linux when it is released. Also shipping outside the US is outrageously expensive (however the developers claim to be "getting new quotes"). It ships in December (sold out) January if you order just a barebones board or next May if you purchase it with any accessories (though of course with any Kickstarter YMMV with ship dates).

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

This is not directly Raspberry Pi related but right now there's a Kickstarter for a Raspberry Pi-class ARM dev board that is only $9 called the CHIP. It's based on a to-be-released refresh of the AllWinner A13 called the R8 with a 1 GHz single-core ARM Cortex A8 and Mali 400 graphics. The board will have 512 MB of RAM, 4GB eMMC flash storage, audio in/out, composite video out, WiFi (b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0, and a built-in battery controller. What I'm most interested in is an accessory board called the PocketCHIP with a battery, touchscreen display, and hardware qwerty keyboard for $49 (with a CHIP board included).

Specs are specs are spec. Which indeed do look neat.

However, do you trust these chaps with your money up front?

I don't...

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

They look like regular people to me :confused:

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

DNova posted:

They look like regular people to me :confused:

I've been spending too long reading the Yospos poo poo Kickstarter thread...

e: one minute!

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 11, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Jamsta posted:

I've been spending too long reading the Yospos poo poo Kickstarter thread...

My personal opinion is they wont ship it, or if they do it wont be in the timescales stated (Kickstarter project creep). You'll note they don't have any track record of prior work, they're also quite young (by my standards) which means they wont have a lot of real world experience to rely on - especially in the project management side which is often the hardest part.

Maybe they're the next Eben Uptons, but I wouldn't bank on it (figuratively or otherwise).

You're right to be skeptical. I am too. I am hoping they will make it happen though because I want it to be real and when/if it is generally available I will order some. That said, I did not contribute to the Kickstarter.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

DNova posted:

You're right to be skeptical. I am too. I am hoping they will make it happen though because I want it to be real and when/if it is generally available I will order some. That said, I did not contribute to the Kickstarter.

I've retracted some of my statement as they had shipped a previous kickstarter, but it was lower volume - this one is already at multi thousand unit level mark and there's 25 days on the clock.

Also worth noting the delivery charges add between $5-$20 depending on where you are.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I figure it's only $14 shipped for the basic model, so I kicked in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
One of the first articles I saw on the CHIP boasted it had a faster processor than the Pi 2. Which...is true I guess, if you don't notice all the extra cores.

It looks like an interesting idea though. I may go in on the $49 option, although that touchscreen has got to look like total rear end to come in at that price point.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Krispy Kareem posted:

One of the first articles I saw on the CHIP boasted it had a faster processor than the Pi 2. Which...is true I guess, if you don't notice all the extra cores.

It looks like an interesting idea though. I may go in on the $49 option, although that touchscreen has got to look like total rear end to come in at that price point.

The Kickstarter says the PocketCHIP screen is only 470 x 272 so, yeah, expect rear end. For a portable terminal it hopefully won't be too bad. Additionally they confirmed the HDMI output will not support audio so keep that in mind if you were planning to use it for a media center or something. Also, all of the screens in their videos and pictures look pretty low-res and they haven't answered my question about what resolutions the VGA and HDMI outputs support which seems pretty suspicious. Neither of those personally impact me since all my potential applications are headless or with the PocketCHIP but if you were planning on using it for any kind of non-headless (headed?) application you should keep it in mind.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I've been linked to that by like six people already, so it seems to be blowing up in a big way.

The kickstarter itself looks pretty legit, but I doubt the $9 pricetag will extend to non-backers after shipping.

What preventing me from backing it is the planned release date, one year from now. Especially with that huge volume, expect it to slip quite a lot. And this niche is exploding right now, ther will be plenty of competitors by then.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know of an IR thermometer that is mounted to a PCB horizontally? Cheap would be nice, I need three or four of them to log rear tire temperatures.
http://drivenracing.com/embrace/mantis This is what a commercial low-end setup looks like.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr.Radar posted:

The Kickstarter says the PocketCHIP screen is only 470 x 272 so, yeah, expect rear end.

That's the same resolution as the original PSPs, if people need a comparison.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Would any of you have an idea of how to go about this.

At the office, we've got an RTSP streaming matrox unit. We're using it to stream feeds through the office to VLC on window boxes.

We picked up a RPi2, and using OMXplayer, it picks up the feed great. Now we can send things we record in our main lounge through the firm break rooms etc.

What we'd like to do now that we've got this working, is make an easy button to switch from stream 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. Picked up a touch panel from RoboPeak.

Problem, I don't code. I run the firm video conferencing and help with A/V stuff. But I can follow linux some.

Most of my searches so far point at xmbc when I start down the media player path.

One thought we've had is maybe make a vlc/mplayer play list and get a usb number pad to bind play list videos?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just dropping in to say Retropie on the rpi2 works really drat well.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

floor is lava posted:

Just dropping in to say Retropie on the rpi2 works really drat well.

The day I decide to make an emulator out of a rpi2, I come here, and this is the latest post.

Sweet, this is great news.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Good, I have a retropie GPIO adapter here and I needed a reason to order an RPI2. Sending the RPI off for my girlfriend to use as a WiFi bridge for her non-wireless PS3.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a bad time getting my B+ to work as a print server. I've installed CUPS and hooked up the Pi to my wireless network. Everyone can see the Pi, but after the initial successful test page I can't get anything to print.

I tried this like six months ago, at which time it'd actually print the first page of my documents and then stop. This time I can't even get that far. I figure I'm missing some crucial step, but I don't know what. It doesn't print from the Pi or the from the network.

Anyone else have success at this?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm moving in with my girlfriend who has a multistory house. It got me thinking about setting up a multiroom music players ala Sonos. Anyone have any experience doing this? There are a bunch of different ways out there and I'm more curious as to what is the easiest way to control the music. I have a NAS that I'm running Subsonic on, so something integrated with that would be great.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

calandryll posted:

I'm moving in with my girlfriend who has a multistory house. It got me thinking about setting up a multiroom music players ala Sonos. Anyone have any experience doing this? There are a bunch of different ways out there and I'm more curious as to what is the easiest way to control the music. I have a NAS that I'm running Subsonic on, so something integrated with that would be great.

I haven't used them yet, but check out some of the projects like Mopidy https://www.mopidy.com/ and Volumio https://volumio.org/ They're meant to turn a Pi into a headless music player.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

mod sassinator posted:

I haven't used them yet, but check out some of the projects like Mopidy https://www.mopidy.com/ and Volumio https://volumio.org/ They're meant to turn a Pi into a headless music player.

Yeah I was looking at Volumio. What I'm interested in as well and syncing between rooms. Looks like there are a few hacks with MPD. I'll probably just bite the bullet and snag one and try a bunch of things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm having a bad time getting my B+ to work as a print server. I've installed CUPS and hooked up the Pi to my wireless network. Everyone can see the Pi, but after the initial successful test page I can't get anything to print.

I tried this like six months ago, at which time it'd actually print the first page of my documents and then stop. This time I can't even get that far. I figure I'm missing some crucial step, but I don't know what. It doesn't print from the Pi or the from the network.

Anyone else have success at this?
Is the printer actually installed in CUPS? Are the print jobs showing up in the job manager in CUPS? Is CUPS showing any errors for the print jobs if they are showing up in the manager?