Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyth
Jun 7, 2011

Professional windmill tilter

Tab8715 posted:

drat.

I wasn't aware Dell had stack ranking. The only ones that I've been told of are Microsoft, Amazon and Yahoo.

I've been reading up on it earlier and while hard to swallow it's not necessarily all that bad and it could be beneficial for a company if they're trying to downsize or they feel there's untapped talent in the labor market. Although, I can't imagine continuously having this practice as you'd eventually cut into the high performers.

Microsoft stopped doing it. Amazon still does last I heard. As an employee I didn't feel Amazon's system affected me that much -- as a manager I hated it. But I might have been too naive (or maybe they weren't stack ranking in the years before I was a manager? It's been too many years ago to remember.)

Friends at Microsoft have said it affects them a lot at work -- but I don't know how much of that is real and how much is imaginary.

My current company does calibrations, where managers meet to discuss and compare their folks -- but just as many ratings go up as go down. Which is not something I ever saw at Amazon.

And without forced ranks, when we looked at the percentages at the VP level, we were very close to what was expected. (But no one forced us to be exact.)

I think stack ranking is a very blunt stick companies use to get around the fact that they have weak, untrustworthy, poorly trained management who can't be trusted to accurately rate people.

It's the managerial equivalent of forcing everyone to be in the office precisely from 9 to 5 no matter what, because you can't trust them to be adults and get their work done on their own schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kyth posted:

Microsoft stopped doing it. Amazon still does last I heard. As an employee I didn't feel Amazon's system affected me that much -- as a manager I hated it. But I might have been too naive (or maybe they weren't stack ranking in the years before I was a manager? It's been too many years ago to remember.)
It's interesting to note that while the Amazon mothership still extensively uses stack ranking, Zappos just switched to Holacracy, a system of self-organization with no managers.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Perhaps stack ranking in a viable alternative to having a perfect, competent middle management in a company of tens of thousands. That's a bit of a utopia.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I worked a place with stack rankings of Exceptional, Valued Plus, Valued and Needs Improvement. In my Cluelessnes I worked my rear end off and achieved two Valued Plus and after many months and hard work I finally got my Exceptional.

I have now fully embraced Loserdom where I install Windows, tell people to try turning it off and on again and watch Youtube all day, and I make twice the money I made while working at the stack ranked place.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol:, Reuters pushes out a lot of software on Linux and have now decided to pull support for RHEL7 because it costs :10bux: and now support Oracle Linux and CentOS 7 instead.

quote:

Supported Platforms:
Linux: Oracle Linux 6 & 7, CentOS Linux 7, RHEL 6.x
Windows: Win7, Win8, Server 2008, Server 2012
Solaris: Solaris 10 X86, Solaris 11 X86

Unsurprisingly managers who push this stuff don't understand Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 are actual separate OSs.

Kyth
Jun 7, 2011

Professional windmill tilter

Swink posted:

Perhaps stack ranking in a viable alternative to having a perfect, competent middle management in a company of tens of thousands. That's a bit of a utopia.

You don't need every individual manager to be perfect.

You need a set of checks and balances that double check performance ratings to a sufficient degree to prevent "and everyone is above average!" while not going headlong into "we have three too many people in 'meets expectations' in this division of 5000 people, so we need to change three people to 'needs improvement.'"

That's what stack ranking is: slavish adherence to the belief that you need very strict percentages no matter what, and that people can be strictly ordered in terms of competence (rather than, say, in terms of political shininess.)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

MrMoo posted:

:lol:, Reuters pushes out a lot of software on Linux and have now decided to pull support for RHEL7 because it costs :10bux: and now support Oracle Linux and CentOS 7 instead.

Unsurprisingly managers who push this stuff don't understand Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 are actual separate OSs.

Because Oracle Linux is so cheap!

Those guys gave me the hard sell last month. I told them that based on the support we get from RH vs the support we get from Oracle on their other products, using them for Linux support was a non-starter. They assured me that if we weren't getting good support, we were using their support system wrong. That's where I wussed out; I focused on disengaging, but I should have jumped in their poo poo and explained that support you can use wrong is bad support.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
There were words here.

insidius fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 15, 2015

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Crikey. You should not go back to that place tomorrow or ever again. If you're there now, just leave. At will employment goes both ways.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

stop showing up.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Please do not return to that job. You have zero obligation to take that kind of treatment and that man deserves his company to be ruined if that's the kind of abuse he lays upon his employees.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do you live somewhere decent where you can report him to some kind of legal body? Because jesus christ

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

go3 posted:

stop showing up.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

insidius posted:

HOLY poo poo
Dude just leave. Whats the worse that could happen? Your job is already slowly killing you. What's the worst that could happen if you just stop showing up and quit answering his calls? Is he going to track you down and actually physically choke the life out of you? And so what if he tries to bad mouth you, just use former associates as references. If he's so foaming at the mouth crazy as you say you wouldnt want to use him as a reference anyway.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I quit a similar job where I was the 24/7 everything guy for too many things and the boss made it out that I was personally hurting him by quitting.

Then I called a recruiter, told him my salary, he LAUGHED at it, then told me he could almost double it at a better job with less stress, and then two weeks later I was out.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Actually the more I think about it the better it would be to just peace the gently caress out of there. How awesome would it be if you just waltzed in with a boombox on your shoulder playing "Were not going to take it" then putting on your sunglasses and going all :dukedog:! He'd be going into a rage seizure and you would just strut on out with your box of personal belongings.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Leave now and don't go back. The only person looking out for your interests is you. You will find a better job and you should also seek counseling because suicide US not the answer.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Actually the more I think about it the better it would be to just peace the gently caress out of there. How awesome would it be if you just waltzed in with a boombox on your shoulder playing "Were not going to take it" then putting on your sunglasses and going all :dukedog:! He'd be going into a rage seizure and you would just strut on out with your box of personal belongings.

I would honestly keep going to work, do your 9 to 5 and then leave. Keep getting a salary until they fire you, and then get unemployment. I'm not sure how it works, but if you quit it may make it harder to get unemployment. There is absolutely nothing he can do to you besides fire you. There is no "circle of industry" he can go to and poison so you can't get a job, there's no way he can give you a bad reference, because just don't use him as one. This sort of thing does not happen. I think the worst he can do is challenge your unemployment claim, but then typically that tends to go the way of the employee.

Also, I'd suggest you look up a lawyer specializing in employment in your state. Have a cup of coffee with him, honestly run the situation by him. You are keeping notes of dates and times of conversations, as well as printing out emails in which he's abusive and insulting, right? Show them to him, and watch his eyes light up when he sees them.

If you are from the east cost, send me a PM and I"ll hook you up with a recruiter. It's free, and if you have have the experience you claim in your rambling, you can easily find a job.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The length of that post alone tells me you need to hit the eject button on that job.

I remember a terrible job I had back in the 1990s. One night I had such a horrible headache after work that I actually drove home with one hand pressed to my forehead as if my brains were going to burst out, Jiffy-Pop style.

Difficulty at work is one thing. Misery is another. I have absorbed far too much of that due to work and it's never worth it.

EDIT: You can read my posts in the old "A ticket came in" thread to see that you're not alone in digging a massive work-hole for yourself. I've been digging various work-holes for about 20 years, slowwwwwly learning the lesson on how to protect myself. I hope you can learn more quickly.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 11, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

insidius posted:

As for me, work will be here soon enough. I doubt I will sleep, I will probably keep running this through my mind wondering how I am supposed to face this man tomorrow like an adult. I fear that it will not be a good day.

Don't show up to work. Instead, show up to therapy. I'm serious, this is not a joke or an E/N meme or an insult or anything; you mentioned suicide more than once in your post which is itself enough to tell me that you need some help. Professional help. It'll help you get some perspective on your situation; specifically that your life isn't destroyed and that getting away from a manipulative sociopath is the first step in reclaiming it.

Also, I am going to go out on a limb and say there is approximately zero chance that this dude can ruin your career in IT. If you work at one of only two places in the world that manufactures Frungy Sticks, you might have trouble getting a job at the other Frungy Stick manufacturing company. But general system administration? Linux in particular? You can go loving anywhere, his threats are laughable to me.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I know how you feel insidius but drat just grow a backbone and get the gently caress out of there. You are going down a slope pretty drat quick and about to crash.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Che Delilas posted:

You can go loving anywhere, his threats are laughable to me.

When I gave notice at a similar job, the owner told me I was taking food out of his families mouth by quitting, and that he had forgone a salary for a year now to keep paying me. Good way to convince me to stay, tell me the company is nearly bankrupt, and if I leave, you can have my salary, and feed your kids. So we all win. In the meantime his kids are in private school, and he has two sports cars.

K, thnx bye.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

insidius posted:

"I will loving destroy your career. Ill black ball you, ill prevent you from ever working another job in this industry for so long as you live."
"Ill send legal letters to anyone you try and work for, ill call everyone I know and poo poo on you in references, ill tell people you were responsible for everything that
has occurred here. You WILL NOT gently caress ME LIKE THIS, YOU WILL NOT gently caress ME. HOW DARE YOU, YOU WILL STAY FOR SIX OR EVEN TWELVE MONTHS,
YOU WILL SHUT YOUR MOUTH, YOU WILL TRAIN MY STAFF AND YOU WILL ENSURE THIS PLACE CAN DO WITHOUT YOU AT THAT TIME".

This is where you pack your poo poo and leave without saying a word. The only time you set foot on that company's property again is when you have someone with "Esquire" next to their name walking with you.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

go3 posted:

stop showing up.

This. Actually no. Call in sick for as long as possible. See how long it takes them to stop paying you. Then never show up again.

The moment someone tells you "I will loving destroy your career" is the moment you stand up, laugh, and walk out the door.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I read every word of your post and I'm really sorry that you've been going through this for so long. You did a really good job telling everything logically despite how emotional the whole thing obviously is.

As cliche as it sounds, remember that this is one hosed up situation and doesn't define you or your beliefs. Your boss is a psychopath and probably practices very hard to make you feel the way that you have been. Getting someone like that out of your life permanently sounds like a good idea.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stop.
Do not show up to that place again and do not answer any calls, mails or anything from or about it. Remove any company email from your phone.

You don't have any sort of co-ownership of the company, you are not invested in it. Whether the company booms or burns is not your problem.

That boss is evil. Actually evil.
If you leaving will cause him and his company trouble, just better.

Obviously, don't sabotage anything, don't set up booby traps or time bombs. Just leave.

Leave now.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Because Oracle Linux is so cheap!

Those guys gave me the hard sell last month. I told them that based on the support we get from RH vs the support we get from Oracle on their other products, using them for Linux support was a non-starter. They assured me that if we weren't getting good support, we were using their support system wrong. That's where I wussed out; I focused on disengaging, but I should have jumped in their poo poo and explained that support you can use wrong is bad support.

My friend is on a project where they are using it, along with the virtual offering. Sure its cheaper than VMWare but from what I heard it does barely anything and the guy they have managing their account didn't seem to even have faith in their own product.

He makes more than me, but I would rather make less and never have to deal with oracle again. Its bad enough that they control mysql and java now.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Stop being the loving Goon in the well. You owe nothing to anyone else, especially if they've built their entire current business on your back. You want the weight of the world off your shoulders? Then shrug it off and walk away.

Repeat after me - I am not anyone's doormat.

Let the fucker come after you - any decent lawyer would have his balls on a gold platter. Blackmail, coercion, threats of violence - the term hostile work environment doesn't even begin to cover that poo poo.

Walk.
Away.
Now.

No 2 weeks notice. No grace period. No friendly turnover. Jump out and yank the ripcord, because that plane is going down in flames - you can either save yourself, or die in the crash.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Good on you for getting out.

If you don't have a job lined up or savings, I'll throw $50 into the pot if we take up a collection for you to give you some breathing room.

But seriously, just don't go back. And talk to HR about why. Don't talk to that guy anymore. Don't even approach him. Literally the definition of a toxic manager.

Not sure if you're in the US but if you have the experience you're talking about and want to crash on my couch in NJ while looking for a job in NYC, it's totally open.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Holy poo poo dude, I wish you the absolute best.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Literally everyone in this thread Googles everything, all the time, every day. You're plenty smart, dude.

Now do like everyone else said and walk away. Even if it means no unemployment, nothing to fall back on, it's far better to be a little broke than to be a lot dead.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If you aren't Googling then you're doing something terribly wrong. Also nthing never go back.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
In that, you mentioned you took a co-worker in to one of the meetings with you. Find a lawyer, make an appointment, and bring that person with you as a witness. If there are any emails, texts, or voicemails that have the same type of bullshit that boss was saying, print them out/copy them.

I kind of agree with Sickening in that you should just call in sick and keep doing that, but in any case, pack up what is yours from your office and leave now and don't return. You have legitimate reasons for sick leave, it sounds like the Doctor you also mentioned would be more that willing to write out a leave for you.

As many others have said, and will, leave now. If you have some money stored up, just use it to keep your bills paid and just relax out for a little bit, maybe take a small in-state vacation for a few days.

Overall though, don't stay there, leave.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Joining the chorus of "leave now and never return." Consider getting a new phone number, getting new personal email addresses, etc.

You are literally leaving an abusive relationship. Just like anyone in an abusive domestic relationship. Just like them, you're finding reasons to blame yourself, and none of the poo poo show going on at your company is your fault.

So get out, as soon and as cleanly as possible, which is literally right now.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

insidius posted:

"I will loving destroy your career. Ill black ball you, ill prevent you from ever working another job in this industry for so long as you live."
"Ill send legal letters to anyone you try and work for, ill call everyone I know and poo poo on you in references, ill tell people you were responsible for everything that
has occurred here. You WILL NOT gently caress ME LIKE THIS, YOU WILL NOT gently caress ME. HOW DARE YOU, YOU WILL STAY FOR SIX OR EVEN TWELVE MONTHS,
YOU WILL SHUT YOUR MOUTH, YOU WILL TRAIN MY STAFF AND YOU WILL ENSURE THIS PLACE CAN DO WITHOUT YOU AT THAT TIME".

Holy hell, I don't consider myself much of a brave person but that would've made me me laugh in his face and peace right out the door.

I don't know how it works in the states or the quality of company, but you should build a case for work related stress off the back of that post. I mean my wife went to a doctor & consultants about stress and laid it all out, the doc pretty much said "You are not going back into work, and those are my orders", and she works as a contact center supervisor compared to your hellhole.

Oh yeah, get out of there now before it swallows you whole. EDIT: Those threats sound like a bunch of horseshit, no one running a business has the time to gently caress someone over, especially if they don't have the dollar to keep on staff.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Seriously, working minimum wage at a convenience store would be a better experience than what your dealing with right now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Also, your girlfriend sounds awesome, and I'm sure she'll back you leaving and help you out with bills, &c., if need be.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Run, don't walk, to a lawyer and tell him/her you want to quit this job yesterday. it is killing you jesus christ

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Holy poo poo dude, I wish you the absolute best.

This and also get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think this is the new standard for terribleness, even more than Tony.